Cool Runnin' / Junk Love

Matt5

19 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Brother's Keeper:

Bro_Keep4.png

You remember I was on Biscayne Bvld last year and took the pictures of the arches that were there but we were not sure if they were the ones seen in the Pilot (now possibly “Cool Runnin’”).

Edited by Matt5

• 7 months later...

Got this shot from “Junk Love” when I was at Turnberry Isle Marina recently (opposite the North Tower) thought y’all would like it. 33 and a half years apart from September 1985 to February 2019.:cheers:

30B998BE-67E8-492D-9A61-F5E30DFB8866.jpeg

470AA84B-D36B-4D4F-ADA9-3C89C184FD04.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

The opening credit shot was filmed at Bayside/ Miamarina. Jeremy’s recreation shot featured the old Port of Miami bridge in the background as if it was shot at Bayside looking over to the far dock. However on lighting the image up I can’t see the bridge and is that a building top right?

CE44B582-8009-49FE-A0C1-22BCAF0DD9D8.jpeg

Edited by Matt5

On 6/5/2019 at 12:00 AM, Matt5 said:

The opening credit shot was filmed at Bayside/ Miamarina. Jeremy’s recreation shot featured the old Port of Miami bridge in the background as if it was shot at Bayside looking over to the far dock. However on lighting the image up I can’t see the bridge and is that a building top right?

I'm not sure if CGlide is claiming that is a re-creation shot.  He might just have put in a generic stock photo of the marina.  That was one of the first eps he published.

I see a car moving right-to-left, but not elevated like on a causeway. The building could be Artie's condo on the Venetian Causeway.  Another possibility is the camera is on the Port Bridge looking southward at the marina and the building is downtown Miami.  In fact, I think I see a taller building on the right and a shorter building on the left.  If correct, that would have to be downtown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, airtommy said:

I'm not sure if CGlide is claiming that is a re-creation shot.  He might just have put in a generic stock photo of the marina.  That was one of the first eps he published.

I see a car moving right-to-left, but not elevated like on a causeway. The building could be Artie's condo on the Venetian Causeway.  Another possibility is the camera is on the Port Bridge looking southward at the marina and the building is downtown Miami.  In fact, I think I see a taller building on the right and a shorter building on the left.  If correct, that would have to be downtown.

Yes when you look closely you can see the bridge columns in the background so this was filmed looking at the last boat dock on Miamarina. The land to the right is the land we see in “Whatever Works” and other episodes in the background from Crockett’s boat. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/9/2019 at 9:20 PM, airtommy said:

I was Watching  “Buddies” a few nights ago and they reuse the “Cool Runnin’ “ opening credit shot of the night time marina shot. In “Buddies” it is slightly longer at the beginning of the frame and I can now see this was not Bayside or the Port of Miami but taken from the same angle we see of the van going down the Venetian Causeway in the teaser of “Cool Runnin’ “.

So the opening credit “Cool Runnin’ “ shot and “Buddies” shot was taken just north of the Venetian Cswy at NE15th St at the small marina there looking towards Venetian Way. 
The second photo is from “Buddies”.

A8EB5F70-E323-47E8-ABA5-B8EC50A298FC.jpeg

3CC403DA-20EA-4D40-9E94-71C51E027984.jpeg

53AC323E-C0EC-4957-BA3E-5262C8A4DC6F.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

From the teaser of “Cool Runnin’ “,1984 and in February by me recreating the shot - at the mainland entrance to the Venetian Cswy.

FCC3A022-AA57-4CC6-9A2A-739C9145C2FC.jpeg

1E9ACA7C-A0DF-4CDC-B6DE-36850602FA97.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

@Tom was the dive bar from Cool Runnin’ ever solved? It’s the one where Noogie (almost) gives C&T the slip. 

Edited by Dadrian

vor 55 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

@Tom was the dive bar from Cool Runnin’ ever solved? It’s the one where Noogie (almost) gives C&T the slip. 

No you’re right. The domino bar and the one later on where they meet Desmond are two unknown locations and need to be added to the search list. I‘ll look into it later to see if I can come up with something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to Rick Bravo the dive bar scene was filmed in the back room of some shop on Washington Avenue.

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 1

vor 40 Minuten schrieb Crockettt:

According to Rick Bravo the dive bar scene was filmed in the back room of some shop on Washington Avenue.

Thanks I will check but Rick was more often wrong than right with his memory of locations ....
eg the Disco „Heaven“ in Calderones Return that was in fact Nepenthe in Lauderdale...

• Like 1

UNKNOWN LOCATIONS: DOMINO/DIVE BAR, MEETING WITH MAXWELL

To make it short: it will be nearly impossible to find this. No clues and this area has changed a lot since then.

The dive bar´s gotta be the filthiest and visually most disgusting place MV ever filmed in (just compare this with the exclusive looks of the drug den in Smuggler´s blues for instance).. This place looks so fuXXed up in 1984 that I doubt it survived the next year. Rick Bravo remembers that it was the backroom of a shop on Washington Ave. The first may be right (there is an indication on the wall that it was a mechanic´s place), but I doubt that it was on Washington Ave. The rear exit has a backyard with lots of green vegetation/small wood behind. I see no such possibility on Washington on historic aerials. All houses on Washington are back to back with other houses there. On the front we get a glimpse through the bathroom window and we see a wall with vegetation, assuming that there will be another main building before the street. Both hints sum up to an impossible layout on Washington at least anywhere near 1435 where the other scenes before and after were filmed.

The meeting with Maxwell looks like a kind of market or street festival, but no clues/wide angle shots to spot anything specific.

Both locations are incredibly boring and colorwise dull like many other scenes in the first episodes by old veteran directors. Honestly, I don´t dig this episode visually at all.

P.S. these locations and this whole episode are proof that the "no brown" rule of Michael Mann was either a fairy tale or was not enforced at all. Brown rusty vans and brown interior all over.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-22 um 21.19.27.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-22 um 21.19.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-22 um 21.20.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-22 um 21.27.44.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-22 um 21.28.10.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-22 um 21.31.06.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
Am 22.7.2020 um 21:43 schrieb Tom:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-22 um 21.19.27.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-22 um 21.19.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-22 um 21.20.47.png

A STRONG SUSPECT FOR THE DOMINO/DIVE BAR FOUND. 744 SW 1 Street, Miami Downtown.

Rick Bravo remembered a backroom of a business at Washington Ave. No way, as there is no deep green backyard anywhere and this run down joint was likely a mechanics company backbuilding that looks like downtown around Flagler Street rather than Miami Beach (as does the meeting location with Desmond Maxwell). Given the configuration with the open backyard with green high bushes on two sides and the building size, the bathroom window where Noogie escaped and the wall with green leaves we see outside, I scanned Miami Beach (no result) and then downtown around Flagler and SW8 Street.

There is only one area in whole 1986 Miami Downtown that has such deep green corners on the inner backyards. See picture below. When going further into this we find a matching configuration at 744 SW 1 Street, which was a carpet cleaning company. until recently The houses are razed now but I found pictures that show what it looked like until recently. 

My best guess is that the dive bar was the building in the back. It has been modified or replaced since then (on the 86 aerial the roof has an extension on the left side, now it is different). Anyway, all fits with what we see in the episode:

• the backyard with very dense green high vegetation on the corners
  • the correct size and config of the house
  • the wall on the outside towards the street

Of course that long gone location is nearly impossible to prove at 100% without eye witness reports, but at least we have a strong suspect now. I will look around for the Desmond Maxwell meeting location that looks like a downtown festival nearby.

P.S. another "coincidence": this suspect is on the backside of the same block around Flagler that they frequently used in the series (Los Dos Hermanos, La Libertad cafe is on the other side of the block, the Flagler Street side). 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-03 um 22.25.30.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-03 um 22.10.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-03 um 22.14.20.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-03 um 22.21.57.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-03 um 22.22.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-03 um 22.22.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-03 um 22.22.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-03 um 22.50.38.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

at the end of the episode, when Crockett&Tubbs realize that the wrong Jamaicans were busted, they make a U-turn in front of the Les Violins Club at 1751 Biscayne Bvd. Les Violins´ interior was used in Miracle Man in the final scenes. Last picture is a stage show in June 1977.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-08 um 21.39.05.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-08 um 21.39.19.png

Miami fl les violins supper club 1751 biscayne blvd.jpeg

K020120.jpg

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi all - never posted/commented here before, though have been aware of this fascinating corner of the web for some time.

I believe this might be the right thread for the question: anybody figured out, and that's right before the U-turn mentioned above, where they were driving before they listen to the cassette tape? My best theory was Brickell Ave crossing SE 15th Rd, but for a number of reasons I don't believe so anymore... Screenshots attached. This kind of grassy dividers with a wide turn like that are in a few parts of the greater Miami area, but coupled with the tall buildings in the background, I can really think of very very few, and none of them qualified after all. Coconut Grove?

Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 2.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

Hi all - never posted/commented here before, though have been aware of this fascinating corner of the web for some time.

I believe this might be the right thread for the question: anybody figured out, and that's right before the U-turn mentioned above, where they were driving before they listen to the cassette tape? My best theory was Brickell Ave crossing SE 15th Rd, but for a number of reasons I don't believe so anymore... Screenshots attached. This kind of grassy dividers with a wide turn like that are in a few parts of the greater Miami area, but coupled with the tall buildings in the background, I can really think of very very few, and none of them qualified after all. Coconut Grove?

Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 2.png

Welcome to the site @Paul Veres!

You'll find the answer to your question about halfway down this page: 

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page16.html

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

Screenshot 1.png

Screenshot 2.png

Interesting to see the first photo posted here, we know it’s Brickell looking South, north of SE15th Road, but where exactly. The camera is located on the verge and the large tree present today means it was not opposite the Palace or St Jude’s. The sign on the very left of the picture is the telltale clue. @Tom

343516DA-EEC4-4FDB-9BBF-9455112FB802.jpeg

• Like 2

vor 45 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

Interesting to see the first photo posted here, we know it’s Brickell looking South, north of SE15th Road, but where exactly. The camera is located on the verge and the large tree present today means it was not opposite the Palace or St Jude’s. The sign on the very left of the picture is the telltale clue. @Tom

343516DA-EEC4-4FDB-9BBF-9455112FB802.jpeg

@Matt5 This location was proven long time ago. @Dadriancorrectly referred to CGlides website where it is stated right. This shot was filmed at Brickell and SE15thRd southbound. If you watch the episode again, you´ll see that both picture posted by @Paul Veresabove were filmed in ONE SHOT with the camera quickly panning with the Ferrari speeding by the camera position, i.e. the first still picture above was on the north side of the Brickell/SE15th Rd intersection and the second still was the end of the camera pan when the Ferrari just left the Brickell/SE15 Rd intersection southbound. The camera was exactly positioned on the north end of the intersection, where the green divider started. That can clearly be seen in the episode, as the intersection starts just after the camera with no green divider visible any more. For clarity´s sake I have added the 1986 aerial with the whole C&T Ferrari drive in this scene represented by a red arrow.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-04 um 14.03.16.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Welcome to the site @Paul Veres!

You'll find the answer to your question about halfway down this page: 

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page16.html

Thank you @Dadrian and what a nice resource miamivicelocations.org - is it related to this website?

Well, it's nice to confirm that my first hunch about Brickell/SE 15th is the consensus with the expert community. Indeed the way the road bends matches perfectly. But let me probe it just a little bit more.

1. The grassy median area (see the first image pair attached) is much narrower now. This is fine because it seems the road was widened with a left turn lane up front in the image, and the whole median generally might have been redone since then, and obviously the building on the left wasn't there at the time.

2. In the second image pair, a building on the left threw me off a little. I highlighted the square windows where in reality another top floor should "start" but it's just dark in the video. For that matter, why are all the windows so bright, everybody's home in every apartment? This building, The Imperial, was built in 1983 (per Emporis.com) so maybe there is still some internal construction going on and they lit everything up but not the top floor. The building behind it, the famous Santa Maria, was built in 2007 so it's OK it's not there. The leftmost upfront building can be then recognized as Villa Regina which was finished just in 1984, I guess would have to be the early 1984 for it to look naturally occupied during this filming per the lights in the windows (again vs The Imperial finished a year earlier but all lit up...).

3. For the same second image pair, the street utility elements don't match. I know that a lot can change over 35 years, but basics like storm water drain and light poles? 

4. Finally, and this was my strongest doubt - try and look for the Petit Douy mansion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petit_Douy) in the 3rd image pair. Assume the building has always been white since they built it in the 30s. It's pitch dark there, I cannot see the mansion in the movie. White walls would reflect something. Assume the stone hedge was always there and is not a post-80s addition. While there is some kind of hedging, it doesn't resemble the stone one there currently. Also, what the heck is that thing on the right (highlighted)? Unsure it's a pole, doesn't quite match the location of a new pole in the other side of the image. 

Anyway, I still don't have a better theory than Brickell/15th, and given the input of mvlocations might just take that now. But if you share any concerns from above let me know, it's fun to chat about this.

Thanks.

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Image 3.png

Edited by Paul Veres
  • Like 2

vor 23 Minuten schrieb Paul Veres:

Thank you @Dadrian and what a nice resource miamivicelocations.org - is it related to this website?

Well, it's nice to confirm that my first hunch about Brickell/SE 15th is the consensus with the expert community. Indeed the way the road bends matches perfectly. But let me probe it just a little bit more.

1. The grassy median area (see the first image pair attached) is much narrower now. This is fine because it seems the road was widened with a left turn lane up front in the image, and the whole median generally might have been redone since then, and obviously the building on the left wasn't there at the time.

2. A building on the left threw me off a little. I highlighted the square windows where in reality another top floor should "start" but it's just dark in the video. For that matter, why are all the windows so bright, everybody's home in every apartment? This building, The Imperial, was built in 1983 (per Emporis.com) so maybe there is still some internal construction going on and they lit everything up but not the top floor. The building behind it, the famous Santa Maria, was built in 2007 so it's OK it's not there. The leftmost upfront building can be then recognized as Villa Regina which was finished just in 1984, I guess would have to be the early 1984 for it to look naturally occupied during this filming per the lights in the windows (again vs The Imperial finished a year earlier but all lit up...).

3. For the same second image pair, the street utility elements don't match. I know that a lot can change over 35 years, but basics like storm water drain and light poles? 

4. Finally, and this was my strongest doubt - try and look for the Petit Douy mansion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petit_Douy) in the 3rd image pair. Assume the building has always been white since they built it in the 30s. It's pitch dark there, I cannot see the mansion in the movie. White walls would reflect something. Assume the stone hedge was always there and is not a post-80s addition. While there is some kind of hedging, it doesn't resemble the stone one there currently. Also, what the heck is that thing on the right (highlighted)? Unsure it's a pole, doesn't quite match the location of a new pole in the other side of the image. 

Anyway, I still don't have a better theory than Brickell/15th, and given the input of mvlocations might just take that now. But if you share any concerns from above let me know, it's fun to chat about this.

Thanks.

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Image 3.png

Welcome to the site and we appreciate your interest in locations!

First to bring you up to speed: the website www.miamivicelocations.org is owned by our senior member @C Glide, he is one of our location buffs here. Currently, he has 90% of all locations in the series on his site for all 5 seasons. You can look up every single episode there scene by scene.

As CGlide is busy now and has not been on the site for a while, he could not include another 9%/110 locations we have found since Covid has started (we nicely utilized the lockdown time!:p). Currently we are only missing 12 locations in the whole series (all episodes), all others we have found and identified 100% (no shaky guesses or assumptions, we are very serious on this :)). 

If you have any questions or cannot find a location on CGLides site for any episode as he was not able to update wjhat we found since 2020, please ask us here. We have been doing this for decades and approx. 75% of locations we have found ourselves, 25% we have from the original production sheets of the series that we have managed to find and retrieve over the years and from first hand intel from crew members we know and have contact with.

As to your concerns for the Brickell locations: I understand your concerns as many details change over the years, but with 20+ years in location hunting (plus finding 100+ even more complicated locations based on aerials and current layouts and living in Miami in the early 90s) I can assure you that this was THE location, 100%. One simple argument, aside from all details: there is only one location in whole Miami with 1) such medians/pair of roads including tree coverage and dimensions plus 2) such a bend of street with this kind of angle. You will not find such another candidate anywhere else. So, rest assured that this scene was really filmed there as I indicated on my 1986 aerial posting earlier. ENJOY!

P.S. I am the author of the "Unofficial episode guide" (can be found on Lulu.com and other online bookstores). In my current version I have 99% of locations listed for all episodes, the whole guide for all episode details is about 175 pages.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

Welcome to the site and we appreciate your interest in locations!

First to bring you up to speed: the website www.miamivicelocations.org is owned by our senior member @C Glide, he is one of our location buffs here. Currently, he has 90% of all locations in the series on his site for all 5 seasons. You can look up every single episode there scene by scene.

As CGlide is busy now and has not been on the site for a while, he could not include another 9%/110 locations we have found since Covid has started (we nicely utilized the lockdown time!:p). Currently we are only missing 12 locations in the whole series (all episodes), all others we have found and identified 100% (no shaky guesses or assumptions, we are very serious on this :)). 

If you have any questions or cannot find a location on CGLides site for any episode as he was not able to update wjhat we found since 2020, please ask us here. We have been doing this for decades and approx. 75% of locations we have found ourselves, 25% we have from the original production sheets of the series that we have managed to find and retrieve over the years and from first hand intel from crew members we know and have contact with.

As to your concerns for the Brickell locations: I understand your concerns as many details change over the years, but with 20+ years in location hunting (plus finding 100+ even more complicated locations based on aerials and current layouts and living in Miami in the early 90s) I can assure you that this was THE location, 100%. One simple argument, aside from all details: there is only one location in whole Miami with 1) such medians/pair of roads including tree coverage and dimensions plus 2) such a bend of street with this kind of angle. You will not find such another candidate anywhere else. So, rest assured that this scene was really filmed there as I indicated on my 1986 aerial posting earlier. ENJOY!

P.S. I am the author of the "Unofficial episode guide" (can be found on Lulu.com and other online bookstores). In my current version I have 99% of locations listed for all episodes, the whole guide for all episode details is about 175 pages.

Thank you @Tom, fascinating, and I wouldn't argue with the Location Commissioner!

I am just rewatching the show for the first time since like the 90s and don't think I've even seen it all, but recently moved to Miami (incidentally, I currently live just a couple of blocks up from the said Brickell Ave intersection) and so now have fresh interest coupled with my penchant for identifying locations by photos. Will definitely refer to www.miamivicelocations.org from now on as I go through the show slowly. 

Thanks all again!

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Paul Veres:

Thank you @Tom, fascinating, and I wouldn't argue with the Location Commissioner!

I am just rewatching the show for the first time since like the 90s and don't think I've even seen it all, but recently moved to Miami (incidentally, I currently live just a couple of blocks up from the said Brickell Ave intersection) and so now have fresh interest coupled with my penchant for identifying locations by photos. Will definitely refer to www.miamivicelocations.org from now on as I go through the show slowly. 

Thanks all again!

Great! You are the only Miamian currently, the closest other members are in Naples (CGlide) and mid/north Florida. This will get you many onsite visit request for pictures! :cool:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Great! You are the only Miamian currently, the closest other members are in Naples (CGlide) and mid/north Florida. This will get you many onsite visit request for pictures! :cool:

Oh absolutely, I love driving around "aimlessly" scouting the city :radar: So ask away - can't promise I'd do it quickly, but within couple weekends most probably. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:59 AM, Paul Veres said:

I would expect light poles to change, but not storm drains.  However, one time I found a storm drain that had been eliminated.  I can't remember the details, but I was shocked and really doubted my location find for a while.