Do you feel as if Tubbs is under-appreciated?

Detective_Crockett

4 hours ago, pmconroy said:

Looks like you revived a dead thread!

I think that Tubbs, while cool, was more of a sidekick than anything. PMT wasn't the best actor, and his character always wore very old-fashioned suits and always had the clean shave except for season 4 and part of 5 where has that impeccably groomed beard - so he wasn't innovative by anyone's standards.

I respectfully disagree that Tubbs wore old-fashion suits.  While Crockett wore cool combos of clothing Tubbs brought a high fashion style to menswear.  His double breasted suits were perfect for the role he was portraying. The times when I get out of my closet my only double breasted suit I feel like Tubbs.  Plus my wife loves seeing me in a suit. 

Tubbs’ look was a modern (at the time) take on classic styles. Any businessman could be seen in a suit and tie, but someone wearing the particular designers, materials, and patterns that Tubbs wore would have been very extraordinary (even today). Beyond that, he made the clothes look great—he had real style. :cool:

• 1 month later...

even if totally unrealistic for the (tropical) area Tubbs fashion is fashion with a big F. Crockett clothes are class, but Tubbs clothes are great class. yeah Tubbs had always been a bit 'behind' Crockett, but in the same time this gives him a mysterious, and 'absolutely needed' aspect. i don't know why Tubbs role had always been a bit weaker than Crockett's one. maybe it's the series that had been made like that, made it was the era. but one thing i know it's that in term of charisma Tubbs equals Crockett. and maybe sometimes even surpasses him, at least for me

edit: meant unrealistic lol

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 2

On 9/29/2018 at 2:38 AM, Tony D. said:

Although Sonny Crockett is the undisputed star of Miami Vice, there would be an emptiness without Tubbs. He added a cool, casual toughness to Crockett's partner. Even Lombard liked Tubbs', style.

MV would not be as great without Crockett AND Tubbs! :thumbsdown:

I agree Tony - Tubbs was the cool dude, whereas Crockett was more tense and hot tempered. Tubbs was essential 110%:hippie::cheers:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jpm1 said:

even if totally realistic for the (tropical) area Tubbs fashion is fashion with a big F. Crockett clothes are class, but Tubbs clothes are great class. yeah Tubbs had always been a bit 'behind' Crockett, but in the same time this gives him a mysterious, and 'absolutely needed' aspect. i don't know why Tubbs role had always been a bit weaker than Crockett's one. maybe it's the series that had been made like that, made it was the era. but one thing i know it's that in term of charisma Tubbs equals Crockett. and maybe sometimes even surpasses him, at least for me

Great post - Tubbs was the cool dude and a great classic dresser. Crockett was tenser and more casual - both great. It’s only when you see the show on Blu Ray you really see the creases snd unkept look in some of Crocketts clothes - I noticed a few times in late Season 4 (1988).

The difference between the two was really good, otherwise they'd be wearing the same thing and neither would stand out.  They both looked good in what they wore.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 11:56 PM, Dadrian said:

Tubbs’ look was a modern (at the time) take on classic styles. Any businessman could be seen in a suit and tie, but someone wearing the particular designers, materials, and patterns that Tubbs wore would have been very extraordinary (even today). Beyond that, he made the clothes look great—he had real style. :cool:

He still does ! ;)

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 11:24 PM, pmconroy said:

Looks like you revived a dead thread!

I think that Tubbs, while cool, was more of a sidekick than anything. PMT wasn't the best actor, and his character always wore very old-fashioned suits and always had the clean shave except for season 4 and part of 5 where has that impeccably groomed beard - so he wasn't innovative by anyone's standards. I mean, I like Tubbs, I think it's cool that he's able to pass for Caribbean because of his exotic looks and his attempt at the accent. Reading back on when this thread was started, I must agree that people always mention "Crockett and Tubbs", not just "Crockett" alone usually.

There is an episode of The Sopranos where Tony Blundetto (Steve Buscemi, who you also know as in Miami Vice) gets out of prison after 17 years or something, and wears a white suit with sleeves rolled up and blue t-shirt underneath at his welcome-home party. Artie, the owner of the restaurant, greets him and asks jokingly, "Where's Tubbs?"

Isn't his clothes based on the style of a NYC detective? and not as good an actor as Johnson but he is still very good.

I saw that scene in The Sorpranos, his white suit is huge :)

I think David Chase made him where that not just because it makes sense him being arrested in the mid 80s and Vice was massive, but I heard he was a huge fan of the show, kind of a mark of respect. 

Edited by RedDragon86

57 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Several sctors who were on Vice make appearances ln the Sopeanos too, inluding Gina and Charlie Glide.

There are quite a few.

John Heard, David Proval, Steve Buscemi, Tony Sirico, Joe Santos, David Strathairn, Frankie Valli, Charles Dutton, Burt Young, Patti D'Arbanville etc, I am sure there are more. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

I love 'em both! 

Style-vice (hehe) I, like many others, like sonny best, but I think Tubbs is more classy. 

I like their balance and cooperation together, therefore I like the two first seasons best. 

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Tubbs got the ugliest women. For Crockett, helena bonham-carter was one the ugliest one.

4 hours ago, timm525 said:

I disagree. Jackie was very hot! :p

So was Valerie :fireworks:

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 5:51 AM, Dadrian said:

So was Valerie :fireworks:

Mr Calderon doesn't live on the same planet than us. hahaha

• Haha 1

I always thought Tubbs was under-utilized. PMT was actually a very good actor...and the episodes where he's allowed to show his stuff are all quite strong.

• Like 2

He did an awesome job in Walk Alone, and I enjoyed him in The Maze.  Often I think Tubbs' part was kind of minimized compared to Crockett's, and sometimes I think PMT overacted.  His love scenes were not to my taste, but after all it was TV, and some of the acting that I didn't like as well could have been due to the writing or direction.  

I tend to think when he overacted it had more to do with what he felt Tubbs' reaction should be. Tubbs was always painted as a volatile character...usually calm but when he was set off that was it. In addition to writing and direction, there's always the effect of minimal opportunity to show what you can do. It's a shame that Tubbs was so under-used, simply because the character had a much more stable background than Crockett and could have been tapped for quite a bit more.

• Like 2

Tubbs grew on me...took awhile. I kept seeing him exploding when Crockett wanted to ignore Rodriguez and fight the fight against the Argentinian in Hit List. A bit over the top. 

But, he toned it down as time went on, and I was hooked!

Crockett and Tubbs were a team to be reckoned with and I loved PMT's interpretation of the role. His calming influence tamed Crockett's impulsiveness. And Crockett recognized how much his partner kept him in check. 

Crockett and Tubbs' relationship was what made this show work so well. It may not have been appreciated initially, but today, we can see the whole picture and realize they were meant to be inseparable! 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Tubbs grew on me...took awhile. I kept seeing him exploding when Crockett wanted to ignore Rodriguez and fight the fight against the Argentinian in Hit List. A bit over the top. 

But, he toned it down as time went on, and I was hooked!

Crockett and Tubbs were a team to be reckoned with and I loved PMT's interpretation of the role. His calming influence tamed Crockett's impulsiveness. And Crockett recognized how much his partner kept him in check. 

Crockett and Tubbs' relationship was what made this show work so well. It may not have been appreciated initially, but today, we can see the whole picture and realize they were meant to be inseparable! 

And, like you, I think a great deal of that had to do with how PMT played Tubbs. Tubbs always had good instincts (unless Valerie was within one hundred miles) and also popped up from time to time as the voice of reason for other characters as well. I don't know if another actor could have settled into the role of Tubbs as it was shown (often second fiddle to DJ...and that's really how it played out) and done it so convincingly and with such depth.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

And, like you, I think a great deal of that had to do with how PMT played Tubbs. Tubbs always had good instincts (unless Valerie was within one hundred miles) and also popped up from time to time as the voice of reason for other characters as well. I don't know if another actor could have settled into the role of Tubbs as it was shown (often second fiddle to DJ...and that's really how it played out) and done it so convincingly and with such depth.

Whoever watched DJ and PMT read together for their roles, recognized they were perfect! 

Imagine this: DJ with all those failed pilots..and PMT, an absolute unknown!

They saw the chemistry and recognized the magic!!!

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Tubbs always had good instincts (unless Valerie was within one hundred miles) 

That was a perfect observation!! 

Yes, RIco lost all sense of reason whenever Valerie showed up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, to answer the question: was PMT under-utilized: 

At first, Rico was a big part of the plot, but as time went on , and when DJ was recognized as the "Star", the dynamic between the two, changed. 

Big Mistake!!

This show was about a partnership AND a team! To forget this focus, did the show a huge dis-service. . 

Yet, I can understand why this happened. 

MV was innovative, but depended on the corporate moneymakers to keep the story alive. Mann left and Wolf took over. He applied his "winning Law and Order" formula to the stories and forgot what made this series great!

If MV showed up on a cable network station today, like the show Breaking Bad, the creativity would have exploded and things would definitely have been different!

Edited by mjcmmv