Seriously KFC? ......Seriously?

COOPER&BURNETT

kfc_zpsnqrq3ay6.png

Today, I passed by a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken), and decided to get one of thier $5.00 fill up lunch. Nobody was in line, and the place had only 3 customers eating when I entered.

When I ordered, I was asked if it was for here or to go. I said "For here."  The bill was $5.40. I paid with a five dollar bill, and two quarters. He walked away from the register, handed me a cup for my drink, and was ready for the next customer. I said, Ah, I think you owe me a dime. He said, "Oh, o.k., just a minute." He walked away, got a manager who had to find her keys, and then got into the register, and handed me a dime. The guy at the counter apologized. I said, "Not a problem man." 

When my meal was ready, I was given the food in a to go container, even though I ordered it to eat there. Oh well, no biggie, I'll just eat it there with the take away box.

I started eating my meal, and was ready to try the new FLG (finger licking good) dipping sauce that comes with the meal that they are advertising, and says "NEW" on the menu board. I looked for it in the take away box, and it wasn't included.

I got up, went to the counter, and asked for dipping sauce. He said, "Oh, sorry", and hands me the sauce. I go back to the table, and try it. It's, ...o.k.. I then decide to eat the mashed potatos and gravy. They supplied me with only a knife. ....how am I to eat mashed potatos and gravy with a knife? ...Again, I get up, and tell the counter guy with a smile I can't eat mashed potatos and gravy with the knife that he supplied me with, could I please have a spoon?  He said, "Oh, Sorry", and hands me a  spoon. I then return to my table again, and unwrap the spoon. It was a fork.  ...the guy gives me a fork!  I just laughingly ate the mashed potatos and gravy with the fork.

In the scheme of things, this is not a big deal, and I actually found it funny enough to share here when I came home.

However, I found out reciently that Los Angeles is going to pay fast food workers $15.00 an hour!  Seriously?  I know the guy at KFC is not like everyone in the fast food industry, as there are many, hard working people who work at fast food joints, and many do a fine job, but....$15.00 an hour?? Seriously?

I heard a guy on the radio say, "I can't feed my family on my minimum wage job at McDonalds".  Well, your not supposed to. That is an entry level job to learn work skills, so you can get your foot in the door, and then either work your way up, or keep that job till you find a better job or career. It's not a job to "feed your family". That's not it's intended purpose. It's a no skill job for those who are starting out. 

Paying $15.00 will either increase costs to the comsumer, or a business will cut jobs and or hours to make up for it. This is NOT a good idea. The pay increase will have to come from somewhere. Ultimately, this will hurt Minimum wage earners in the long run. Fewer hours, or lay offs can occur, or even not as much hiring.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/05/29/las-15-minimum-wage-isnt-going-to-work-its-just-too-high/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/06/22/a-15-minimum-wage-is-a-terrible-idea/

Hillary Clinton thinks it's a good idea...    There ya go.

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT
  • Like 2

Sorry about your bad experience Coop.  I am sure we can all tell a story about bad service.  I have faced it at my local Home Depot too many times.  And I agree with you that a higher minimum wage will hurt someone or business as a whole. 

• Like 1

It's cool Vicefan7777. Like you said, we all have bad experiences from time to time. My experience was slightly irritating, but still kind of funny if you look for the humor in it. :)  It's not the end of the world.

Spend, spend, spend America into more debt. Usually, we see no results. 

I have an idea, how about we try to save America some money for a change. Abserd, I know.

Coop, it is a fact that 67% of the American economy is based upon consumer spending.  But when prices get too high (because businesses have to pay higher wages) then we pull back from spending which leads to business failures, lost jobs, foreclosures, etc.  It is a delicate balance between saving and spending.  What is the solution?  I simply do not know.  .  

• Like 1

You Sir, are correct yet again. When we have a recession, I don't buy things, especially luxury things. The business of making these things decline, they lay people off, and more aren't working, and more aren't paying taxes, and are claiming unemployment, and your tax dollars pay for this.

When things are good, you spend more, which leads to more things being made, which puts people to work, and people pay taxes, which lessens the need to raise taxes to pay for those who aren't working. 

I realize it's not just that simple, but basicly it's true.

Chinatown is in California, you are correct about that...but I've noticed that other states are thinking of doing the $15.00 minimum wage. Seattle Washington has it now.

Guess what, ...restaurants are CLOSING in Seattle as a result. 

Read below.

https://shiftwa.org/more-seattle-restaurants-close-doors-as-15-minimum-wage-approaches/

Edited by COOPER&BURNETT

kfc_zpsnqrq3ay6.png

I heard a guy on the radio say, "I can't feed my family on my minimum wage job at McDonalds". 

Well this might be a crazy idea but unless you've lost your better job and have fallen on hard times. Maybe getting a better paying job would've been first on the list before having a family? As Tony Montana said "You gotta' get the money first. When you get the money you get the power. When you get the power, then you get the woman."

BTW, the Colonel chicken bone figure is hilarious.

Edited by agent 47

I eat at fast food chains regularly.  I've noticed that most chains have inconsistent service.  It varies from location to location, and from year to year (even day to day).  The main exception is Chick Fil A.  They're always friendly and efficient.  I don't know what they're doing differently than everybody else, but I hope they don't change. 

Years ago an aviation giant left seatle for chicago, the reason? the agreement was that there was to be no labor unions, or they would leave for another state, as it would make it not worth it to stay open there cost wise, they tested them, and they left after they decided to go through with it anyways, and yet they still persist to do things like this, despite it causing more damage than its worth in the long run.

A union is useful however in the right situations, given what an MBA who took over ratheon company did to it years ago, as an MBA typically only looks at the short term gains, much like Danny Divto in other peoples money

and did away with 60 days of sick leave and paid trips, instead forcing you to ask for reembursement after the fact, ala gamespot and its pre orders, where they hope you'll put money down and forget it, all to boost the stock price as it was a public company, not to mention the damage he did to the reputation of the company and its products back then, and those things have never come back either. and the bloody bastard ran off with god knows how many stock bonus's from churning and burning the place to the ground and is living large now apparently.

and I would wadger those places that closed down would be public companies, and the private ones will suffer damage because of this.

hence why companies never want to go public or become a middle sized company, as as soon as you do that the cost and the taxes go up, its much like anything else, if you can afford it they will penalize you in a democrate controlled state, its why the production companies have all left the US for foreign soil, red states, which might as well be foreign soil with how different they are or decide to go small, and stay small and thus the middle class gets smaller, and only those who built their fortunes before all this, are still around and cant be allowed to go out of business, hence the bailouts.

hell that might explain all of these conglomerates really, and why one major one owns so many small ones.

and yes it will be 15 bucks an hour for a little while, but when things rebalance and inflation kicks in, as its 3% a year, which results in a 30% increase over 10 years, this will mean nothing if it persists for more than a decade. and this will just boost that inflation rate along with the cost of living in those states, as that's where it will come from

as now they have to charge more, to cover paying more, and everything else will go up cost wise just to meet the original cost margin level before the forced wage hike, and who put this forth, as I would wadger it was a politcal move to gain favor with a certain group, a legal bribe through and through. and it will mean nothing in the long run

but the damage will be done, and badly done in the short term, and what if they keep doing this to keep up with inflation? and then the writing will be on the wall, get the hell out as someone has set off the self destruct sequence on the enterprise again.

Edited by Kavinsky

I was at a McD's recently and asked for a double quarter pounder with cheese, no onions and no mustard. No salt on the fries.

I got a single cheeseburger with no mustard but however they did include onions and of course I was two miles away by then and no way I was going to turn around and go back.

just like Joe Pesci said in the movies..."They f**k you at the drive-through"

• Like 1

My very first part-time job was working in a supermarket, making a whopping $2.35 an hour (in 1974), so I can understand where they're coming from, but there is no excuse for poor service, IMO...

They DO F you through the drive thru. Twice now at McDonalds at the drive thu, I have recieved a plain bun, no condements,.....and no meat. Yep, just a bun neatly wrapped. One time I DID go back, and the kid shift manager never said I'm sorry. He just like a robot opened the till, put my refund on the counter, and stepped back away from the counter. He just calmly did this, and stood back facing me with his arms behind him.  Never, not once did he speak to me, or say, I'm sorry.  Nothing.

It was.....strange.

Find me a kid that can give change from a 20 and not need a till and I would gladly pay him 15 bucks an hour.

These kids today cannot do math in their head!

I'm sorry but if the bill is $9.30 and I give you a 20 dollar bill and 30 cents in change, you better be savvy enough to give me back bills in change and NOT NEED A FRIGGIN CALCULATOR OR THE BOSS TO COME OVER AND TELL YOU HOW MUCH CHANGE TO GIVE BACK!

nuff said....................

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 2

This reminds me of an incident that happened to me at my Home Depot.  I purchased a plumbing part and the bill came to $5.37.  I gave the cashier 6 dollars.  She open up the till and put my money in and by accident closed the drawer before giving me my change.  When she reopened the drawer the transaction for the amount of change to be returned to me was voided.  So what does she do?  She takes out her Iphone and over the next 90 seconds uses the calculator to figure what she owed me.  Unreal.

Coop, I get more and more pessimistic about the future of this country. Are we all going to pool up in one location like, Kansas or something, where the Idiocracy sauce hasn't blotted out the sun?

Your story isn't funny; it's a real bummer.  You're lucky something worse didn't happen.

On the fork thing; are you sure it wasn't a spork?

All I know is I'm looking for safe places to live.  

I went to Wal-Mart (my favorite place, if you remember) to take still life photos and get some Bailey's.  I asked a lady at customer service if they sold some kind of spray starch, ironing board, I can't remember which household implement.  The lady simply said, "I have no idea-r."  In shock, I pointed up at the sign "customer service".  That was slightly more effective but not completely.  She told me to talk with that lady over dere, the manager.  

People just. Don't. Give a shiat.  And why has this spread?  Barnes & Noble has the answer, and it's not easy.  It's culture change.  When/where/how did it start?  

This is where I close my mouth and start looking for my lighter and cigarettes.  

Good day, Coop.

• Like 1

CageyJG, you hit the nail right on the head. CULTURE CHANGE. You and I see it, but the younger you are, the more it's just the normal, as it's how it was when you grew up.  I DON'T wan't the country to be Fundamentally Transformed. Society isn't getting better as a result, it's getting worse, and more complicated. This is NOT normal.

The right things are now wrong, what you knew was wrong is now somehow accepted.

I didn't look too closely, but I think it was a fork, and not a spork, but I could be wrong....been wrong before -(Weldon)

I for one am NOT happy how things are going in society. The older you are, the more you will recognize it, the younger you are, it's the norm.

Sad is right CageyJG.

• Like 3

Find me a kid that can give change from a 20 and not need a till and I would gladly pay him 15 bucks an hour.

These kids today cannot do math in their head!

I'm sorry but if the bill is $9.30 and I give you a 20 dollar bill and 30 cents in change, you better be savvy enough to give me back bills in change and NOT NEED A FRIGGIN CALCULATOR OR THE BOSS TO COME OVER AND TELL YOU HOW MUCH CHANGE TO GIVE BACK!

nuff said....................

You know the best math teacher I ever had was a former football coach who knew how to handle kids and teenagers, and would put work in to help you after class even at the end of the day, and showed no ill will or disdain for anyone who did, as I stayed after main times after to see where I missed key points in the teachings, the worst? a Harvard Graduate, as he just didnt care and was just very blunt and unhelpful about everything, it was like he had that problem that garry newman has.

and he showed no interest nor pride in his work, the most unlikeably cold person I've ever known, and I wish I would have had the nerve and balls back then to tell him he sucked and that he should quit, the worst part, he had my first name, all the more reason I never used it for nearly a decade whenever I could avoid it. like Endevour Morse really. as I always associated it with people like him. like why couldnt I have had a god damn better name than that.

So maybe it should be a rule/law that you do some coaching first to actually know how to handle and teach kids, and not automatically think that just because there not interested in your boring ass class that you show no pride in that they have ADHD. and how many people have been misprescribed that nowadays?

hell I was a better teacher to most of the kids than the teacher in alot of cases, my favorite one back in high school was where I bluntly told some black kid in history class, okay the main thing to remember is that this dude didnt like this dude because of such and so reason, OHHH now I get it!

I mean christ I was a better teacher than most of the actual teachers for god sakes, and I can count the really good ones I remember to this day on one hand, Mr Fahey, Ms Dodge, Mr. Santos, Vietnam Vet, pilot who lost a friend in thw war, also a pilot of a phantom, brought a wife back, died before 2001, and I'm kind of glad he didnt see the world transform into what it has, and I was the last one to take his class in full before he passed, literally imagine having a meaner, grittier, Andreas Katsulas as a teacher, as he always pointed to that photo of his buddy next to the phantom when talking about history in his history class.

and he rewarded people with good talking and arguments with diet soda I remember, and he was amased that he said that I owned him one lol I never forgot that ill tell you that much lol that suprise he had as I was a very meek person back then.

the football guy, I cant believe I forgot his name, and I can picture 3 others but the names escape me.

and that is from years 0 to 17, yeah, how many teachers does someone on average have when their growing up?

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

I like this discussion :) I recently started my new job at a well known very nice restaurant and we're all about excellent customer service, obviously at the moment loads of training is being provided for us..before the restraunt truly opens. I'm a cashier :p

Edited by Detective_Crockett
  • Like 2

When I was a kid, (back in a former millennia) I worked at a gas station.

(yes we used to have lads come out and pump your gas and clean your windshield and also check your oil)

I had a little metal change holder machine that clipped to my belt. it held quarters dimes, nickels and pennies.

In those days gas was cheap at 32 cents a gallon, so when I filled up their tanks they would give me bills. I would give change by: COUNTING UP FROM THE SALE VALUE!

Why can't kids these days do that. You buy something for $7.65 then you count a dime-75, a quarter-eight dollars two bucks to ten and your done!!!

They seem to have to make a big subraction value out of it and they can't subtract two apples from five apples anyway! What the hell is wrong with the youth of today?

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 1

You know the best math teacher I ever had was a former football coach who knew how to handle kids and teenagers, and would put work in to help you after class even at the end of the day, and showed no ill will or disdain for anyone who did, as I stayed after main times after to see where I missed key points in the teachings, the worst? a Harvard Graduate, as he just didnt care and was just very blunt and unhelpful about everything, it was like he had that problem that garry newman has.

and he showed no interest nor pride in his work, the most unlikeably cold person I've ever known, and I wish I would have had the nerve and balls back then to tell him he sucked and that he should quit, the worst part, he had my first name, all the more reason I never used it for nearly a decade whenever I could avoid it. like Endevour Morse really. as I always associated it with people like him. like why couldnt I have had a god damn better name than that.

So maybe it should be a rule/law that you do some coaching first to actually know how to handle and teach kids, and not automatically think that just because there not interested in your boring ass class that you show no pride in that they have ADHD. and how many people have been misprescribed that nowadays?

hell I was a better teacher to most of the kids than the teacher in alot of cases, my favorite one back in high school was where I bluntly told some black kid in history class, okay the main thing to remember is that this dude didnt like this dude because of such and so reason, OHHH now I get it!

I mean christ I was a better teacher than most of the actual teachers for god sakes, and I can count the really good ones I remember to this day on one hand, Mr Fahey, Ms Dodge, Mr. Santos, Vietnam Vet, pilot who lost a friend in thw war, also a pilot of a phantom, brought a wife back, died before 2001, and I'm kind of glad he didnt see the world transform into what it has, and I was the last one to take his class in full before he passed, literally imagine having a meaner, grittier, Andreas Katsulas as a teacher, as he always pointed to that photo of his buddy next to the phantom when talking about history in his history class.

and he rewarded people with good talking and arguments with diet soda I remember, and he was amased that he said that I owned him one lol I never forgot that ill tell you that much lol that suprise he had as I was a very meek person back then.

the football guy, I cant believe I forgot his name, and I can picture 3 others but the names escape me.

and that is from years 0 to 17, yeah, how many teachers does someone on average have when their growing up?

I know this is a massive generalization, BUT the worst "teachers" I ever had were some of my university professors, typically the ones with doctorates.  It's because they weren't teachers.  They were experts in a particular field of study.  That's not what a teacher is.  Teaching is about making a connection with the student so they want to know, and want to learn.  There are countless ways to make that connection and "get through" and every students is different.  If you get through to them, it doesn't matter the subject.  If you don't make the connection, you could be the leading expert in the field and most won't learn much, because they don't much care.  Most people are surprised to learn professors generally don't need a teaching credential like elementary and secondary schools require.  The best teachers I ever had, I remember because they got me interested so I wanted to know more.  As I think back, they taught all kinds of topics, but I remember them for making me want to learn, no matter the subject.

As a final note, I've met a lot of pretty sharp young people and quite a few pretty (I'll be nice) slow adults, so I try to avoid making overgeneralizations about the younger generation.  Just my two cents.

• Like 4