Seriously KFC? ......Seriously?

COOPER&BURNETT

I know this is a massive generalization, BUT the worst "teachers" I ever had were some of my university professors, typically the ones with doctorates.

Boy you got that right!!!!

All knowledge and no pedagogy

yeah with the young adult thing I think part of the problem is the drugs, you can always tell if someone is on weed, as they have slowed reactions, slowed memory recollection, and a phased out look to them, plus has it ever occured to any of them that this stuff is probably going to give them lung cancer like the cigarettes of its day?

and also I dont think they really teach any mental shortcuts with mathematics really, like if such and so is this, start from there and messure downwards or upwards, and instead they focus on the caculators and having the caculator come up with the knowledge, which can work as a crutch when your starting out, but from the getgo it IS a crutch, and like all things some people just never leave that stage.

hell I half wonder if that's where we lost our edge, with the caculators being used in schools.

Edited by Kavinsky

I was a tech teacher for 20+ years. I can remember in 1991 I got in a huge fight with my principal brcause I marked spelling! Achedamia always looked down their noses at us "Teckkies" as we were considered less than human.

In those days there was a thought amoungst educators that you could not tell a student they spelled something wrong as this would hurt their feelings and their self esteem!?!

They even gave it a buzz word and called it "WHOLE LANGUAGE"

My argument was that car is spelled c a r NOT k a r and boat was spelled b o a t NOT b o t e!

Thank goodness that nonsense has gone like the Doe-do bird!!!!!!!!!

I also taught remedial math one semester and was critisised for using dice to teach "speed Multiplying" in groups.

Some principals.........I don't know???

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 1

I was a tech teacher for 20+ years. I can remember in 1991 I got in a huge fight with my principal brcause I marked spelling! Achedamia always looked down their noses at us "Teckkies" as we were considered less than human.

In those days there was a thought amoungst educators that you could not tell a student they spelled something wrong as this would hurt their feelings and their self esteem!?!

They even gave it a buzz word and called it "WHOLE LANGUAGE"

My argument was that car is spelled c a r NOT k a r and boat was spelled b o a t NOT b o t e!

Thank goodness that nonsense has gone like the Doe-do bird!!!!!!!!!

I also taught remedial math one semester and was critisised for using dice to teach "speed Multiplying" in groups.

Some principals.........I don't know???

Stinger, don't get me started on bad principals!  I'm starting my 20th year of teaching in about a month, and I've worked with SEVEN principals during that time.  I would describe one as excellent,  He's now a superintendent, and we still keep in touch.  Two others I would describe as average to above average.  The other four were horrible and lasted only two or three years.  That's below .500 for me.  It's actually a pretty good district to work for.  The superintendent is good, pay and benefits are good, and the kids are...hey kids are kids everywhere. :)   Actually, most of the kids are good too.  Somehow, though, we run through principals like crazy.  My wife has had six in her 18 years.  I've always joked that administrators leave the classroom because they're not as good with kids as adults, but I think there's some truth to it.  The best teachers teach and love doing it, not sitting in meetings about pedagogy and "revolutionizing" education.  I've also joked with some younger teachers that there's no reason to face off with the principal.  They won't be there in a couple of years anyway!

LOL!  :D   "whole language"  I haven't heard that in years.  It was out by time I started in '96.  Then it was "authentic assessment", then standardized testing took over, then rubric-based assessment, then...  Those of us who've been doing it a while joke about what the next great "revolution" will be.  Education is about evolution not revolution.  NPR did a story a few months ago about how technology has influenced education over the decades going back to the revolutionary new educational technology of the radio!  Television, computers, the internet, "smart" devices;  They're all tools in the toolbox, not the revolution every generations expects them to be.  You still have to teach, and that's a very personal thing involving a good relationship with your students.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! 

• Like 2