1986 Ferrari Testarossa Up For Auction In California

mvnyc

It will be very interesting to see what it sells for - it was listed twice on Ebay for $1.75 million with a lot of "nay-sayers" commenting on the price.  And, of course, it didn't sell at that price.  If it sells, we will know the value of the car on that day at that time.  If it does not sell, we will not know if there were real bidders on it or not.

• Administrators

I don't think it'll even break the 300k mark, to be honest. It's going to the Mecum Auctions, which means we should see it on TV.

Would love to own this beauty from the past and knowing Don drove it and they did engine overhaul and I hear that gets very pricey too.i love it

That's the thing though, he didnt. its a Universal studios lot car, probably one aquired from Hollywood autos during the shows run with the intention of siting in a parking lot to pull tourists in for some Miami Vice themepark thing, as some very key details of the car are wrong.

and I doubt the build sheet says a Nero Daytona Delivery Color either, it probably says it came in white from the factory, as the vice car was repainted in Fort Lauradale from black metalic to white, as I actually had found the photos of it before its respray years ago next to a flat nose 930, probably the same one they used in a Bullet for crockett.

and its one of the reasons why I know it was not a straight black car either, I just wish I had had the foresite to save the photo at the time. and I still cant find it either.

Edited by Kavinsky

The first link states "The Testarossa's sibling sold for $1.75 million in December, but the auction house hasn't yet set an estimate for this car. It arrived on the scene for the third season of "Miami Vice," which went off the air in 1989."

Seems they are unaware that this is the SAME car for sale some months back  listed on Ebay for $1.75 M and, as expected, it did not sell. Though I remain unconvinced of the car's provenance, the price to me seems ridiculous for any Testa of that era.

Will be interesting what it might bring on Mecum.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

The first link states "The Testarossa's sibling sold for $1.75 million in December, but the auction house hasn't yet set an estimate for this car. It arrived on the scene for the third season of "Miami Vice," which went off the air in 1989."

Seems they are unaware that this is the SAME car for sale some months back  listed on Ebay for $1.75 M and, as expected, it did not sell. Though I remain unconvinced of the car's provenance, the price to me seems ridiculous for any Testa of that era.

Will be interesting what it might bring on Mecum.

I think the "sibling sold in December" is incorrect.  This link gives a better description:  http://flip.it/3fkFI

This is supposed to be one of the two cars used in the show.  As you said, he did (or his buddy did) show the paperwork for this car on this site.  It seemed fairly legit to me.

I think the "sibling sold in December" is incorrect.  This link gives a better description:  http://flip.it/3fkFI

This is supposed to be one of the two cars used in the show. As you said, he did (or his buddy did) show the paperwork for this car on this site.  It seemed fairly legit to me.

Hand written (dealer service) carbon sheets (including the dealer info not preprinted) that his pal presented could be easily forged. Just wasn't convincing and as I recall there were NO Bills of Sale or Contracts from Universal to the subsequent owner shown, which would be fairly convincing if available.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• 1 month later...

I don't know about the actual market situation in the US, but this car might be more appreciated today, than it was a couple of years ago.

I think it's been in the last two years, when prices doubled for a "normal" Testarossa. I think it was in 2013, where I saw at least some cars under 50.000€, which didn't look like clunkers, btw. Now the cheapest Testarossas start slightly below 100.000€.

I bet I know who to blame for this, this guy, look at the amount of views on this

a quarter of a million people watched this, plus chris harris's video on the 512TR

800,000 some thousand people, and Ferrari doesnt make midengined supercars like this anymore outside of the halo models, and that ones a Hybrid, and they havent been made since 1995, so 20 years ago, 30 for a 1985 car and people are longing for the days of old, and well the prospectors are banging on about how special manual gearbox cars are

even though ferrari survived the era with its personality intact and has not been owned or bought out by zee germans, unlike poor buggati, plus when told to whore out to match the competition, they told Fiat in no small way to go F themselves

and no one in their right mind with a manual would be able to keep up with this car without either blowing up the gearbox or banging off the rev limiter if it was a stick

also in seeing and watching modern cop shows you notice a key lack of something, and its everything, Enjoyment and when something is funny in them, its forced,

and vice actually was fun, lets make a show about nicking the rich boys who are living it up on the backs of others with these drugs and the other newer cop shows got so bad I didnt want to watch anything cop related period really, hell I've been watching far more Perry Mason than anything really

wish they would show Kojack again though, havent seen that in a coons age.

also said sahara TR? the only thing that was worn on it was the steering box from the trip, the motor was fine

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/629699118932361216

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/631535715076165632

and this

so you've got him clanging on about how great the car really is, plus this, and that engineering

and also Countach Prices are through the roof, even though that's an overhyped can of baked beans that cant even break 190 with a 500 + HP motor so it may also be getting fallout for that too, given it was its primary competitor and I think a much better car frankly in all respects

I mean a countach is still what its always been, a fixed muria that doesnt catch fire or destroy its own engine if you go around a corner with the combined oil for the crankcase and the engine

(as they decided to rig it up like the revolutionary and loveable mini in that respect, and while that may work for a 4, it doesnt work for a 12, and Subsquent Restos have switched out the carbs and changed the cars over to a dry sump system, like on the TR and the Countach)

and the countach doesnt have bodywork that would fall in on itself if you touched it

as the miura bodywork is so thin on the early ones that you can push it in like the plastic bodywork of a C6, except it STAYS dented and if it gets rusty god help you, I mean I love the countach as long as its not in bloody red, but even I know its just not a good car in any way, and that's why people love it and I do too.

and same thing with the miura despite its sucidal tendancies

plus look at the prices

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/632241129879048193

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/632732297482006528

200 K vs a Million Pounds for a better car.

or 375 vs 200

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/632729745617256448

and a miura? it sold for 600 K at the same auction, an LP400 Countach, one of a 150 made before the S model we all know and love, in the best color for a Countach Period is worth more than a Miura

https://twitter.com/harrym_evo/status/632333459927773184

also well, an extra 1 Million views of this with the TR

opps

so suddenly you have 2 million people in the last couple of years who have gradually learned or first seen the car that was overshadowed in every way by the winged wonder that was the countach, and thats why the price jumped

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

• Administrators

So $625,000 for the Testarossa, not bad at all...

No, it didn't sell in the video, it had a high reserve, bidding went on beyond the auction.

At Mecum, there's a booth people can go to to bid on cars after the auction, if they haven't reached their reserve price.

It didn't sell https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/CA0815-219897/0/1986-Ferrari-Testarossa/5-Speed/

Sorry mvnyc, I wasn't there. ;( 

That's a LOT of money for that car, and still it didn't meet the reserve?? Yikes.

Does any proof remain that it was originally painted black?

I dont know, the other thing is the carpet, now while its hard to tell if I'm right and the original dash was like a dark tobasco like color, like on this car

which has like a dark eggplant like look to it at 1:00

vs 2:24

gallery_471_5_37192.jpg

gallery_471_5_32599.jpg

gallery_471_5_7871.jpg

gallery_471_5_36043.jpg

note the insturments in the dash seem to be straight black while the frame is this dark eggplant like color

that carpet however doesnt make any sense, why would the back wall be in the proper colors, Crema leather, rust colored carpets, and then the bottom floor where the seats are in black when we've seen in the show that the carpet has always been that rust colored color all around the interior

gallery_471_5_119073.jpg

from freefall

gallery_471_5_17791.jpg

gallery_471_5_35307.jpg

only to have the floor mats be like that, like I said it just doesnt make any sense, I just think that Universal bought the car saying it was for miami vice, but not the show, just the ride, as they even had a speed boat for that one that wasnt quite right

also the Phone 0:50

gallery_471_5_95142.jpg

Edited by Kavinsky

As Tubbs once said, "This scene is not serene" 

Something doesn't seem right about the car. I can't put my finger on it. 

• Administrators

Didn't they get two cars from Mr. Ferrari? Perhaps they both have different carpets? 

The phone is different also.

Universal Studios is located in California. This car is in California. MIAMI VICE was in Florida. Florida to California is a distance of over 2,700 miles. Isn't there a Testarossa on display in Florida? Somehow, this still doesn't add up to me. Yes, a car can be driven / transported 2,700 miles, but something still doesn't seem right to me.