Glenn Frey passes at 67

damrod

• Administrators

Very sad news. Read it first on Saundra Santiago's Facebook site when I woke up this morning. He was a great musician and it was one of the best Vice episodes he was part of.

Now the Hotel California is forever closed and he doesn't belong to the city any more.

RIP Glenn Frey.

• Like 2

Very sad news indeed. I too loved the Eagles.

I also loved Glenn's portrayal of Jimmy.

I remember ordering the "Smugglers Blues" 7 inch single on import from America in '85 because it had not been released in the UK at the time.

Still have it in my collection.

RIP Glenn Frey

Sad news. I am watching a news segment on Glenn as I type this. I am also a huge David Bowie and Scott Weiland fan, and I recently lost my uncle too.  It has been a unsettling past couple of months. Perhaps I will watch "Smuggler's Blues' tonight.  I see that Sting and Peter Gabriel announced a joint tour today, and I'm suddenly feeling some urgency to make sure I attend one of the shows. Be well my friends, have a good week, and don't take anyone in this world for granted.

Rest in peace Glenn.

• Like 2

Such sad news of his passing! :( My friend sent me a text just an hour or so after the news broke.

"You Belong to the City" is one of the greatest songs of all time.  It captures an certain essence of 1985 to me.  When I listen to that song, I really feel like I'm walking at night in New York City back in 1985.

Mr. Frey had many other great songs, solo and with the Eagles.  And the "Smuggler's Blues" episode is fantastic!  I wish Glenn Frey could have shown up as Jimmy Cole more often!  Maybe they could have made him a recurring character like Noogie or Izzy?  But I guess Glenn was busy with his music.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 2

RIP Glenn Frey. You did a great work in "Smuggler's Blues" episode. I also like very much your song with same name and of course "You Belong To The City". Although it was written 30 years ago it still one of the best descriptions of living in any large city, people relationships etc. Hits me every time i listen it.

• Like 1

67???

That's just after retirement.

It's not old...come on god this ain't really fair!

Rest in peace Sir!

Edited by Christian

• 3 months later...

Somehow missed this thread from some weeks back. Ironically, I had ordered his Solo Collection just a couple weeks prior to his passing. And just did receive the Long Road Out of Eden album shortly afterward.

A true immense loss to the music community...I grew up with the Eagles and Glenn Frey, and I have most of their albums/CDs. And his Vice appearance as well as songs such as You Belong to the City bring memories of the 80s flooding back to me. If you haven't seen the History of the Eagles special that ran some months back on some cable channels,  I do highly recommend watching it. Much history and music in that program and explains the dynamics of the relationships within the group.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

I just want to add my 2 cents..........

I've been seeing endless tributes to Prince for the past couple of days, and after hearing & seeing some of his performances.....he can't even begin to compare with Glenn Frey as far as music, lyrics and class.  

The filth that Prince did is abominable!

I didn't see the same tributes to a truly excellent musician when Glenn Frey passed away.   Very Sad!