101 Miami Squeeze

C Glide

The hospital scenes

I found proof that the building part in question with the unique window pattern where I suspect the filming to have taken place (see my posts earlier in this thread) was already there when the Vascular Institute was first opened on 1st October 1987. This is important because in the episode we see a brand new facility with digital displays on elevators and similar state-of-the art items for that time which is another clue to prove the location. If we compare the building then and now we can see that there has been major expansion and renovation since then, but the part in question remains untouched.

Unfortunately, I did not find any old interior pictures or scenes in older marketing movies of the hospital.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-02 um 21.30.17.png

• 2 months later...

STRONG CLUE FOR THE UNKNOWN ART CAFE 

@airtommyrecommended not to waste any time on this location. I found avery strong clue.

I always thought this was an art gallery dressed as a restaurant.And I was right. 

Again it pays off to watch the details in the background, as did with the art gallery in One way ticket.

Two of the paintings in the background are "Makusi from Philadelphia" (1975) and "Duke and Duchesse of Dressner" (1976) by Tom Palmore, a quite famous realist animal painter from Oklahoma who grew big in Philadelphia and Arizona. These are the originals, also sizes match, worth around 15-30k USD each. As I haven´t found any clue for a gallery exhibition in Florida in 1989 anywhere and my daughter likes his work, she tried a short cut and contacted the artist, Tom Palmore, now 75 years old on Facebook. Let´s see if he responds and if he is aware that his paintings were on Miami Vice.

https://www.percontra.net/archive/10palmore.htm

https://www.pomegranate.com/tompalmore.html

A book about Palmore´s work, unfortunately quite pricy and not available for download.

https://www.amazon.com/Earthlings-Paintings-Susan-Hallsten-McGarry/dp/1934397059

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-21 um 13.53.01.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-21 um 17.01.42.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-21 um 17.02.24.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-21 um 17.17.55.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

The unknown indoor shooting range has a "DTB" sign no the technical equipment (target slide), which means that it was either planned or provided by Dayton T Brown, a well known company headquartered in NY. Unfortunately I have not found any more clues as to where DTB has built ranges in Dade County. But given their website content, they are a highly specialized company working also for law enforcement and military and doing shooting gallery testing and approvals, thus I believe this range was no private one, but one for a company or law enforcement.

https://www.dtb.com/testing-ballistics-shooting-range.php

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-26 um 16.38.02.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

follow up to the two Tom Palmore paintings to find the art gallery. @airtommy

While I am hoping that Palmore will respond to the question of my daughter on FB, I have tried to track down who had these two paintings in the 80s, as Palmore was not exhibiting in the 80s in Florida, at least I found no records of that.

Interestingly, the art database says that both paintings have "provenance: Darthea Speyer Gallery, Paris". and this is also stated on the backside of the paintings (see below). Darthea Speyer was a famous US gallerist living in Paris and died a few years ago. 2010 her gallery donated all files including all artist files with more than 1.5GB to the Smithsonian in Washington. 

https://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/galerie-darthea-speyer-records-15860/series-1

We know exactly in which box the files about Tom Palmore´s paintings are (see picture) and US citizens can even apply for a visit and look up those files on site in DC.

If some of you wanna find that location, just go to DC and look up the files for these two Palmore paintings in the late 80s. I bet the gallery they were leased to is mentioned there.

Maybe we can call Jeffrey Whitehead in prison and ask him for help? :p

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-25 um 15.50.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-25 um 15.49.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-22 um 14.18.54.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-22 um 14.17.49.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-26 um 19.24.10.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

another match I found in the Miami Vascular Institure building and its layout is the distance between the slim=1m wide window and the room corner briefly visible behind the surgeon.

The distance is exactly the 1.5m indicated by the Google metrics of the outer window pattern and distance before the next room starts as clearly seen on the outside.

Also the quite low light through the window near the elevator could be another match with the perpendicular wall we see next to the leftern-most window. The wall could belong to a central staircase whose door we don´t see in this scene (usually one would suspect an access door next to the elevator), but this could be due to the angle of filming.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-05 um 12.20.32.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-05 um 12.20.52.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-05 um 12.22.14.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-05 um 12.22.54.png

a few new pics from Ross home (living room where Ross got arrested) and the big Banyan tree that Tubbs hid behind

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-12 um 15.18.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-12 um 15.19.30.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-12 um 15.20.43.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think we are reaching 100% proof about the hospital scenes filmed inside the Baptist Hospital in Kendall. The movie "Cocoon II the Return" (1988) also filmed inside as this article confirms (https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1988-06-09-8801060270-story.html)

''Cocoon: The Return used seven locations in the Gables, including a lawyer`s home where location manager Mary Morgan showed up one day and just knocked on the door.

Also on the locale list were three area beaches, an intensive care unit at Baptist Hospital and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science at the University of Miami."

And the intensive unit scenes there have many matches with the scenes in this episode: lots of glass brick walls, carpet in similar color and the same skirting boards. See picture comparison below.

Click to enlarge!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-01 um 22.02.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-01 um 22.05.20.png

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

the first pic of the big living room with the fireplace taken from the same side as in the episode (see still to compare). Click to enlarge on both.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-14 um 20.49.17.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-14 um 20.56.02.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

nice aerial (looking south) of the Alexander Orr water treatment plant with an arrow indicating where they filmed exactly within the property for this episode

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-30 um 14.21.06.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Am 22.4.2020 um 03:33 schrieb airtommy:

The cafe interior scene is nearly impossible.  It's probably not even a real cafe.  Don't waste any time on this location.

I was never so happy to prove airtommy wrong (he was only right that it´s no real cafe though) and there is no impossible in location sleuthing.

First day of new year, re-think approach, 5 minute find, good start! :dance2:@daytona365 @miamijimf@Dadrian

LOCATION FOUND: The art cafe, 3450 N MOORINGS WAY, COCONUT GROVE (ONLY 9 LOCATIONS LEFT IN TOTAL)

This short scene is a convenience location with a fake establishing shot from NYC. I had seen earlier that the neighbor house of the DeGarmo villa used for Ross´ place was a 1987-built modern house with unique architecture, but today it flashed me that they might have used it for that art cafe and BINGO. All key search criteria fit!

• Big glass door front (BLUE ARROW)
  • A very slim long window down to the floor in the corner (YELLOW)
  • A flat white roof outside (MAGENTA)
  • A perpendicular wall with a long window opposite the big glass door front (TURQUOISE) 
  • The glass front must look south as the sunshine and filming date (early January, low sun, but high enough to give light to the small alley, i.e. filmed around noon) indicates.

All five parameters are a match (see pics and colored arrows, click to enlarge!) which kills any risk of coincidence plus the countercheck on the Palmore pics is a match too! 

This is a private home (once sold in 1994, thus no realtor pics!) that was dressed as art gallery/restaurant and the Tom Palmore pics on the wall behind Castillo belonged to the owner at the time which was Adele Cohen, she lives now in Philadelphia. Her Facebook page profile pic (see below) shows her with the "Makusi from Philadelphia" gorilla painting by Tom Palmore! CASE CLOSED. 

https://www.redfin.com/FL/Miami/3450-N-Moorings-Way-33133/home/42757473

ENJOY!

We are down to unknown 9 locations overall.

P.S. Maybe someone has a better 3D aerial from Bing? (does not work for me)

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-01 um 14.12.10.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-01 um 14.13.01.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-01 um 14.13.19.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-01 um 14.13.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-01 um 14.18.28.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-01 um 15.32.47.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-01 um 15.50.57.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-01 um 15.47.21.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Incredible find!  Definitely one of the Top 10 most difficult & cleverest.

[testing]

World peace is nearly impossible.  It's probably not even a real concept.  Don't waste your time on it.

:)

Edited by airtommy
  • Haha 2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Incredible find!  Definitely one of the Top 10 most difficult & cleverest.

[testing]

World peace is nearly impossible.  It's probably not even a real concept.  Don't waste your time on it.

:)

Thanks! Sometimes taking a pause and step back from cold cases opens new ideas.

[testing] 

Do you have (better than Google) Bing 3D views for that „waste of time“? :p

As for the last unknown location, the shooting range: it is a very clean, very new (maybe 1-2 years old) quite small range for non-public use (no shop, no signs, but an exit sign and a fire alarm, thus no private property).

That would leave only police agencies left(?). But I could not find any indoor range of police in Miami. The MDPSTI (Miami Dade Police Safety Training Institute) trains at the 9601 NW 58th Street compound we all know from One way ticket, but no indoor range there. @miamijimfany clue where such a range could be or where a list of 1980s indoor ranges could be obtained? Would non-police entities like Fire station or court building/Dept of corrections house such a fancy range within their buildings (I don´t think so)? 

Pictures below show that the MDPSTI interior rooms have some mutualities in style, color, door signs and door handles with the range in the episode, but the soup is too thin on this circumstantial evidence. I also checked other potential locations we know where such a range could have been like the former FBI building in Miami, but no fit.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-05 um 18.07.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-05 um 18.09.34.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-05 um 18.20.07.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Here's one that's been in business for 38+ yrs.  https://www.yellowpages.com/miami-fl/indoor-pistol-ranges  If you haven't checked it out yet we could always send them some screen caps to see if they recognize it.  Granted from the ep it doesn't look like private property but it could be new and just getting started.

Only remember shooting at one indoor range and that was about 10 yrs? ago with Dan Jimenez.  He fired one of my S&W pistols, same make and model that DJ used.  Growing up I shot in the Glades and at the Trail Glades Rifle Range. 

Another option - I can ask Greg Kral, former Miami SWAT member, extra on Vice and my FB Friend.

Edited by miamijimf

vor 3 Stunden schrieb miamijimf:

Here's one that's been in business for 38+ yrs.  https://www.yellowpages.com/miami-fl/indoor-pistol-ranges  If you haven't checked it out yet we could always send them some screen caps to see if they recognize it.  Granted from the ep it doesn't look like private property but it could be new and just getting started.

Only remember shooting at one indoor range and that was about 10 yrs? ago with Dan Jimenez.  He fired one of my S&W pistols, same make and model that DJ used.  Growing up I shot in the Glades and at the Trail Glades Rifle Range. 

Another option - I can ask Greg Kral, former Miami SWAT member, extra on Vice and my FB Friend.

Thanks, I´ve checked all these and this ain´t it. As said, this was a new non-public range provided by DTB, a professional range provider company. I suspect that it was in the downtown area (based on one isolated location - the Venetian Causeway scene with Crockett and Hardin that makes no sense otherwise with no other location around, whereas all other locations were nicely clustered), but it also could have been more remote if needed to find such a fancy, vice-colored range. 

Asking Greg Kral is a good option. He is a nice guy (he was very nice to my daughter on FB a few years back) and would know where a new indoor range apparently for police forces was opened in late 1980s- likely 1987 or 1988 and if you show him above stills from the episode he would probably know it...!

• Like 1

I'll ask Greg, show the stills, and let you know what he says.  He is always on FB so it should not take long.  Like CGlide said, "There is no such thing as an unimportant Vice location."

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb miamijimf:

Like CGlide said, "There is no such thing as an unimportant Vice location."

What happened to CGlide anyway? Statistics says he hasn‘t been here on the site since May21, but he is posting on FB still. 116 locations found since 2020 and he is off the grid. Strange.

to

1 hour ago, Tom said:

What happened to CGlide anyway? Statistics says he hasn‘t been here on the site since May21, but he is posting on FB still. 116 locations found since 2020 and he is off the grid. Strange.

Really don't understand it.  Long time members have dropped out before but IMO none of them contributed as much or spent as much time on Vice.  You could tell, for Jeremy, it was a labor of love.  He is a member of our email group (friends and fellow Vets) so I will tell him we miss him.  I asked him to revisit the site some time ago but he has never mentioned the subject.  The site is also poorer without Cooper & Burnett and Dan Jimenez.

• Like 1

Tom,

This is Greg's response to my inquiry about the range:

"I seem to remember that "Lou's police equipment" had one. There was also one in South Broward off of I-95. Wish I could be a better help. As you can probably guess, we (SRT) just used our training bureau 's most of the time, as did MV. I also remember that Sgt. Tim Addams was used as a technical advisor early on. Best of luck, and as stated, I wish I could have been a bigger help."

• Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb miamijimf:

Tom,

This is Greg's response to my inquiry about the range:

"I seem to remember that "Lou's police equipment" had one. There was also one in South Broward off of I-95. Wish I could be a better help. As you can probably guess, we (SRT) just used our training bureau 's most of the time, as did MV. I also remember that Sgt. Tim Addams was used as a technical advisor early on. Best of luck, and as stated, I wish I could have been a bigger help."

Thanks. Lou´s is a distributor near Opa Locka Airport but they don´t have a range anymore (if they had one earlier).

Interesting idea where MV production would go to when the script requires a fancy indoor range. Most likely experts like Tim Addams or Bob Hoelscher would have been asked for advice.

• 3 months later...

Venetian Causeway 1989 vs now. Looking west like in the episode we see that the Miami Herald Building is gone and the sykline has changed a lot.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-16 um 23.24.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-16 um 23.24.46.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-16 um 23.26.53.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here are the only 2 pages of the production sheets of this episode that I was able to get with help of a friend. Each sheet covers only one calendar day of shooting (usually 6-7 per episode, thus only 1/3 of the whole ep).

Unfortunately, the only location unknown (gun range) is not on these two days (11 and 13 January 1989). :thumbsdown:This episode was filmed 5-13 January, so we only see the last few days here when most scenes have been shot already.

Anyway, one important detail (aside from the fact that many of you guys probably have never seen these production notes before and need to get used to the format) is that the advance for the next day, Thursday 12th January (red box) shows that they filmed the hospital scenes before the plant scenes. This was logical, as the ICU scenes were day scenes in Baptist Hospital and the plant is only 2 miles away and had night scenes only that were filmed right after production moved from the hospital to the water plant.

P.S. as 13 January was the last day of filming for this ep, the advance of this last day shows two days of filming for the next episode "Jack of all trades" (there we  know all locations already)

Enjoy studying.

Miami Squeeze Callsheet 11Jan89.jpg

Miami Squeeze Callsheet 13 Jan89.jpg

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Guys, I got the biggest combo of a sure location find and unknown at the same time...!!!...

I asked my firearm safety instructor about the range. Yesterday I sent him a couple of screenshots and he responded almost immediately:

I know exactly where this range is but it’s long been closed

Now, my firearm instructor knows a lot of cops, and in fact trains the police. He actually even trained some national militaries in Latin America, and his teacher was Massad Ayoob. If I remember correctly he also co-owns some gun ranges in Dade county and definitely knows ranges really well. So he's a top guy for this. He's a very private guy to the degree that I don't know his full name, so I won't reference him in any explicit way here.

Unfortunately he stopped short of telling me what/where it was, because he wanted to double-check with his police buddies first, and he's not gonna be able to do that until tomorrow. So I'm just sitting here in high hopes that we'll get this location 100% but this suspense is killing me! :hot:

He also mentioned that he flew helicopters (don't ask) with somebody who, the way I understood it, was Miami Vice cast firearm instructor. Now I have too many questions and I hope I'll be able to catch up with him soon!!

• Like 4