Songs that should've played on VICE

MTVcops

It always bugged me that Hell hath no fury had no songs at all as only episode of the series. There would have been several opportunities in this episode to include songs. One scene would be the final shooting with Hatch. 

I would have selected this song (Where nowhere is by Hoodoo Gurus) which was released in May 1987 on an album that is commonly known as one of the Top100 albums of 1987.  Fits great in lyrics and mood and would have started when Hatch shot at Beaks and made a great ending when Hatch fell down the stairs after shot by Trudy.

Do you know where nowhere is?
It's where you are
Do you know what nothing means?
Y-o-u
Do you know what no one thinks?
It's all about you
And do you know what?
Nobody cares
Well, you can't see the stars
In the daytime
And you can't see the Sun
When it's night
But you can't even see yourself
In the mirror
And I can't see you at all
Not at all
Do you know where (nowhere)
Nowhere is?
Nowhere is?
Hey

As a fun feature, I edited and mixed the song I recommended above (Hoodoo Gurus) into the Hell hath no fury shooting scene at the end (see my MP4 version of that scene, download option on the right bottom "..."). Let´s call it the real episode version fix with a popular song:funky:

As I had no video copy of that scene I had to film it quickly via my mobile off the screen, so it´s not high video quality and it has the John Petersen score in most parts, so the sound mixing to make the shots loud and to get the Petersen score out is not great either on that base, but it gives a good feeling how that scene would have worked (and better in my opinion). As said I edited the song to the scene and extended the original 5 sec instrumental loop to a 40 sec instrumental loop during the conversation between Crockett and Hatch just to fit the song parts perfectly to the scene, also later to have the right sequence of the song on when Hatch clinged to his second gun and when he fell down. ENJOY! Feedback appreciated. If I once get a better video of that scene I can do it properly video-wise as well.

P.S. I´ve done lots of videos and music editing in the past. If someone is interested in the edited version of that song please PM me.

Edited by Tom

Although I believe at least one other song by Depeche Mode was used in an episode...I’ve always felt “Enjoy the Silence”  was definitely MV material! :radio:  However, the song was recorded in 1989 but I don’t believe it was released until 1990. So, it probably wasn’t available to use when the show was still in production. I just think of MV every time I hear it. 

• Like 3

On 4/3/2021 at 1:36 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Although I believe at least one other song by Depeche Mode was used in an episode...I’ve always felt “Enjoy the Silence”  was definitely MV material! :radio:  However, the song was recorded in 1989 but I don’t believe it was released until 1990. So, it probably wasn’t available to use when the show was still in production. I just think of MV every time I hear it. 

They’ve actually had three songs in MV, but I love the band! Yes, “Enjoy the Silence” would be great amongst others!

The others used are:

"Fly on the Windscreen" ("El Viejo")
"Never Let Me Down Again" and "Pleasure, Little Treasure" ("Death and the Lady")

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

It's the type of song that would have fitted in Season 2.

Released (1979)

Great choice! Very interesting group. I don’t think Viv Albertine has aged a day since the late 70’s!

43DD3A05-4546-46CE-8411-4AF215AB5B17.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

They’ve actually had three songs in MV, but I love the band! Yes, “Enjoy the Silence” would be great amongst others!

The others used are:

"Fly on the Windscreen" ("El Viejo")
"Never Let Me Down Again" and "Pleasure, Little Treasure" ("Death and the Lady")

Awesome...yeah, “Fly On the Windscreen” in “El Viejo” was the other one I remembered...I’d forgotten about the 2 in “Death and the Lady”! :radio: :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Awesome...yeah, “Fly On the Windscreen” in “El Viejo” was the other one I remembered...I’d forgotten about the 2 in “Death and the Lady”! :radio: :thumbsup:  

No problem! There are too many songs used in the series to remember them all! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

There are too many songs used in the series to remember them all! :)

I beg to differ :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Somewhere in 3 or 4. These two are definitely suited in the darker episodes.

Another track from "Band Of The Hand" - Faded Flowers. I love this song by Shriekback. Maybe season 2 as it was released in 1985.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 9:08 PM, Tom said:

if VICE had seen a 6th season, I would have used that song by Steve Winwood from his 1990 album. Great song, great lyrics Topic-wise, that´s a 90s version of Smuggler´s blues. And moodwise, it´s a bit of "Streetwise" and Michael Thompson´s guuitar in season 5 involved. Perfect song for a teaser or a final scene.

Midnight comes
And the devil's loose
What you want
He's got everything there
What you've got
He'll take
And leave you in the cold
One more soul drowns
Another deal goes down
The night is full of danger
Another deal goes down
On the street
The refugees
From a war
That was lost in the heart
One one wants
To see them
And the fire is burning slow
One more soul drowns
Another deal goes down
Another deal does down
Tell me what you're searching for, will you sister
Emptiness inside
You will never fill it up with another thrill
Money spent
All the words are said
Nothing helps
Streets are falling apart
Through the night
They're burning
And the devil's on a roll
One more soul drowns
Another deal goes down
Another deal goes down

Great choice!

35 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

This would have been good at the start of an episode showing us the nightlife, bars and clubs etc.

Yes indeed!

This has always been my “should’ve” for said sequence:

• Like 1

At the end of "Theresa" playing low in the background while Sonny is speaking to Rico on the walkie-talkie. Ideally starting at 17 seconds.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

b2486565-c98a-4f05-8f6a-dfbad3bfa644_1.3

I know, "Dangerous Game" actually was played on Vice, but this entire album sounds like it was tailor-written for the show.

• Like 3

This song came out in 1985, I think the best thing it would have worked for is the beginning of "Baseballs of Death" with Cinder walking... Or maybe in "Little Miss Dangerous"?

• Like 1