Songs that should've played on VICE

MTVcops

• 2 weeks later...

This came out in 1984 and it gives me the feeling of sun and riding on a speedboat. It’s supposed to be 67 today here, and it hasn’t been that warm in like 4-5 months. I’m excited for warm weather! :dance:

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

The Sound - Total Recall (1985)

Awesome song! Never heard of the this band. I’ve also never seen that technique on the bass guitar. :) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Awesome song! Never heard of the this band. I’ve also never seen that technique on the bass guitar. :) 

You just need to see Primus live more often...:p

Actually it looks like a mutant cross of Geezer Butler's playing position and what was reputed to be John Entwhistle's original "typewriter" playing style (at least I think it was The Ox...it's been a few years since I read the interview that was talking about how one of those guys had that style).

17 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@Robbie C. They struck the bass with the side of their finger knuckles? :hot:

Supposedly it was more like hitting the keys of a typewriter. This guy looks like he combined it with popping to come up with some oddball thing. I'm pretty sure Les Claypool has done that in some of the shows I've seen. But then again Les can do whatever the hell he wants...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

"The Sound" are one of my favorite bands, they were huge in Holland but they never really got the recognition they deserved. They are better than likes of U2 and Joy Division in my opinion.

Jeopardy is a great album.

I love this track from the album.

• Like 1

Yes great stuff!

It seems the look (or perhaps the lack thereof) of the lead singer could’ve been what held the band back from reaching the heights of the other bands you mentioned. 

MTV kind of made visual appeal a must for that time. I certainly don’t condone that aspect, but nonetheless…

• Like 2

I’ve listened to Wall of Voodoo and Stan Ridgway a lot lately. Stan is such an interesting storyteller of a songwriter. They are really underrated. This particular song, “Lost Weekend,” came out in 1982. It has such a beautiful atmosphere to it. It gives me a feel of warm, humid, but pleasant air. The melody of it really captivates me. They used a Roland TR-808 for the beat, which Jan Hammer sampled and used for at least a couple MV cues (according to Dadrian :)). The drum beat itself reminds me of something Jan would possibly write, or Phil Collins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

according to Dadrian :)

According to Jan*! :) 

I like the Stan Ridgway song man! Really cool. 

For anyone here who doesn’t listen to MV music everyday, Stan did the song on Phil the Shill during Phil’s shopping spree montage. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

According to Jan*! :) 

I like the Stan Ridgway song man! Really cool. 

For anyone here who doesn’t listen to MV music everyday, Stan did the song on Phil the Shill during Phil’s shopping spree montage. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I love that song too! Here it is on YouTube.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marc said:

instant favourite, sounds a bit like David Bowie on vocals. instrumental part is superb. (1985)

@AndrewRemington do you follow Marc’s posts? He is completely dialed in to the elements we love! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 9:15 PM, Dadrian said:

@AndrewRemington do you follow Marc’s posts? He is completely dialed in to the elements we love! :thumbsup:

I haven’t seen too many of his posts, but I shall! This song has a terrific sound!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took me 20 minutes to figure out this song after watching "The Fly" last night, because in the bar scene the audio is low and it was hard to figure out the lyrics. Didn't help that the producers dropped it from the soundtrack.

Great song by Bryan Ferry - Help Me.

Released in 1988 - Season 4.

I was thinking maybe in this scene.

"I'm a stranger far from home, won't you help me
Gotta find where I belong, help me
I don't want to be alone, won't you help me
Gotta find the way to home, help me
I'm a prisoner to the night
Life is hell in the light of the day
But where do I hide from myself
The shadow closes in
There's nowhere I can run to
There's a power in love
There's a danger in love
But I need love to help me find a way"
Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 9:16 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Nightclub scene.

It's used in a movie that's set in my city. My mum use to go to the same nightclub.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Took me 20 minutes to figure out this song after watching "The Fly" last night, because in the bar scene the audio is low and it was hard to figure out the lyrics. Didn't help that the producers dropped it from the soundtrack.

Great song by Bryan Ferry - Help Me.

Released in 1988 - Season 4.

I was thinking maybe in this scene.

"I'm a stranger far from home, won't you help me
Gotta find where I belong, help me
I don't want to be alone, won't you help me
Gotta find the way to home, help me
I'm a prisoner to the night
Life is hell in the light of the day
But where do I hide from myself
The shadow closes in
There's nowhere I can run to
There's a power in love
There's a danger in love
But I need love to help me find a way"

Bryan Ferry has made nothing but MV music his whole career—even his recent stuff!

Johnny and Mary- 2014:

• Like 1