Songs that should've played on VICE

MTVcops

vor 21 Stunden schrieb RedDragon86:

Took me 20 minutes to figure out this song after watching "The Fly" last night, because in the bar scene the audio is low and it was hard to figure out the lyrics. Didn't help that the producers dropped it from the soundtrack.

Great song by Bryan Ferry - Help Me.

Released in 1988 - Season 4.

I was thinking maybe in this scene.

"I'm a stranger far from home, won't you help me
Gotta find where I belong, help me
I don't want to be alone, won't you help me
Gotta find the way to home, help me
I'm a prisoner to the night
Life is hell in the light of the day
But where do I hide from myself
The shadow closes in
There's nowhere I can run to
There's a power in love
There's a danger in love
But I need love to help me find a way"

I like the idea picking songs that were released before airing the episode for a specific scene rather than just referring to good songs in general.

Last year, I selected a song for the only song-less episode (Hell hath no fury) from that time (Hoodoo Gurus released an album in late 1987 with a song that exactly describes the dead soul of the mercenary) https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/12905-songs-that-shouldve-played-on-vice/&do=findComment&comment=261286 and edited/mixed it correctly to the scene I thought it would fit in. 

I had to do some heavy music editing/instrumental looping like they did with "30,000 feet" in the teaser of By hooker by crook to fit the scene and the lyrics perfectly, but the outcome is a much better ending and we can see that this episode should have never aired without any songs. Especially as there was not even a John Petersen score during that shooting scene - which made my life easier with mixing the Hoodoo Gurus song into the scene. Was also fun to revive my music editing skills I used a lot in earlier times for videos/movies of friends and family.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is incredible if I don't mind saying so myself. (1987) Member of Tangerine Dream. 

Couple of different uploads and two live versions all with not many views.

When the piano comes in from 2:17 onwards it's gorgeous.

• Like 4

for the night attack in Lombard´s hideaway (World of Trouble)

released in fall of 1988 on album "Go Bang!"

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom said:

for the night attack in Lombard´s hideaway (World of Trouble)

released in fall of 1988 on album "Go Bang!"

Very similar to “Underwater Boys” from Knock Knock (which I also like) :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 7/8/2022 at 7:20 PM, Marc said:

This is incredible if I don't mind saying so myself. (1987) Member of Tangerine Dream. 

Sounds like Jan Hammer and John Carpenter had a baby.

• Haha 3

Been going down a rabbit hole for Mtv's "120 Minutes" thanks to a lovely archival site that's slowly trying to make a setlist for every song that played on every episode during it's original 14 year run (1986-2000) and I've been listening to random songs. Just came across this one and I think it would've fit rather nicely during either season 2 or 3:

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Marc said:

1985, the extended and instrumental would have lots of potential. 

I love the DX7 right out of the gate! :thumbsup:

And that’s The David Gilmour on vocals kids. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Season 1 or 2.

Cavern by Liquid Liquid.

Awesome! In case anyone doesn’t know, Liquid Liquid did the Rubber Miro song in Prodigal Son when Tubbs snuffs out the hit men by the garbage truck. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Awesome! In case anyone doesn’t know, Liquid Liquid did the Rubber Miro song in Prodigal Son when Tubbs snuffs out the hit men by the garbage truck. 

My favorite song in the show. I love when it starts to kick in the episode, the timing is superb. :radio:

Here is another that would probably fit nicely in Prodigal Son.

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

My favorite song in the show. I love when it starts to kick in the episode, the timing is superb. :radio:

Here is another that would probably fit nicely in Prodigal Son.

“More cow bell!” :) 

Good one! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like she could have been a guest star, too! :fireworks:

This is an incredible find @Marc! Thank you. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I realize at moments like this, how prejudiced, tight-minded and closed-headed I am against today's music compared with the excellent lyrics and compositions of the '80s.  I put off listening to nearly ANYTHING played today---I grump at it, and say to myself "spare me that trash---it all sounds like baby-talk and baby-poop to me".  
But this from Kylie Minogue actually is competent, and FITS the black spider moving fast down Miami streets, or a heist team hitting a Miami bank, or Tubbs and the team chasing down a lead.

"Miss a Thing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kHF9QXM8w

Heck, this song could even fit a Daniel Craig James Bond movie.  I'm shocked.  I have to give her this credit.  A 2020 pop song that's....ok, it's good.  I said it.  

The audio in this youtube is TERRIBLE---I heard the song for the first time over FM radio in my Meridian sound system in my car, and her mix of instruments (electronic) are surprisingly 

• Like 1

I wonder why they never played hard rock bands in Vice.

I mean bands like Van Halen, Rush and Journey were HUGE those days.

Especially Hagar-era songs like "Dreams" would have been great fit.