Songs that should've played on VICE

MTVcops

7 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

A bit ethereal. Soft but not too soft. Good for a climactic sequence.

In case anyone else can’t see this, here’s a version (not sure if it’s the same one he posted)

Great stuff! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Definately could hear that in “Blood or Roses” or “Badge of Dishonor” from 1988. Certainly would fit in those episodes.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Definately could hear that in “Blood or Roses” or “Badge of Dishonor” from 1988. Certainly would fit in those episodes.

Those were the episodes I was thinking of :)

For season 5, maybe "Heart of Night" or "Fruit of the Poison Tree"

• Like 1

DURAN DURAN - NIGHTBOAT

This song would have fitted in 'Tale Of The Goat' nicely. Even the video has the same voodoo/zombie theme going.

One of the first bands to pay attention to visuals in their videos. Just like Vice did for TV shows.

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 3

I keep re-realizing what a blinded, absolutely prejudiced f__k  I was in my 80's music youth.  I liked only the music I liked, and in my mind ignored anything else as "I won't listen to that", without even really sampling it or learning anything about its place or purpose.  Kinda like the kids who play on one side of the park, and they know there are different races of kids who live on the other side of the park, and the "different" means that I just won't ever think of playing with them.  

Today the grownups around me will console "you were only a college kid, you couldn't be expected to have clear eyesight---that takes years more growing up to develop a truly open mind'.  Hmmm, sometimes I'm willing to agree with that explanation, and sometimes I feel like I can't agree with it.  And so that's Life...
I spurned some whole genres of music back then, I refused to listen at all to anything labeled hard rock, so this group that's categorized as Alternate Rock whizzed by me completely.   It's my failure, because this British group, The Cure, wrote pieces that arc across a very wide (even darkish) range of moods, which by now makes it nearly impossible to catch up on which of their albums are crucial ones, and discover the singles that fit your comfort level.  They are now to me the second most intriguing writers of Rock songs, second only to Queen.

But Fascination Street is one of their fame songs.  It's a master lesson of how to use bass and introduction in a song.  The writer remixed and redid the song two more times over the decades that followed the original version, tweaking that intro---something you create that is this near to perfect can often obsess you into trying to redo it, and another redo, and redo. The 80's music video that was made from the original version of the song is actually studied by students learning filming techniques.  

But that original 3-minute single version of the song is the punchiest and least complicated of all the three or so different versions the group officially released.  AND it's immediately Miami Vice--- it's perfect "confrontation and arrest" music.  

---The pretense is over, the evidence we gathered yesterday is enough to make a bust, so tonight we're cops, encircling the perps' meeting place, sneaking in on foot with our weapons and badges already out, Crockett and Trudy advancing up the East driveway, Gina with six body-armored officers working in from the North--- and everyone in the tv audience knows it's going to be inescapably violent.  The music tells you the arrest can't happen any other way.  

Fascination Street somehow works for an event that regretfully is going to lead to violence, even though there's not a single angry instrument in it, and not a single violent word in its lyrics at all.

Edited by Augusta
  • Like 3

Shame they didn’t feature Whitney Houston at all, her songs would have worked far better than the Sheena Easton songs that featured from the fall of 1987. 

• Like 2

A disturbing song for "Little Miss Dangerous"

The song would be a reference to Jackie's childhood

Roxy music "In Every Dream Home A Heartache"

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Alexander O'Neal - Criticize (1987)

Season 3.

Love this song.

A great song and soul album — many songs would have worked from this 1987 album including “Never Known Love Like This” (fall, 1987) which would have worked in the Season 4 Crockett-Caitlin episodes.

• Like 2

Lionel Richie’s deep soul-pop track from the summer of 1986 “Love Will Conquer All”. The track was also released as a single in the fall of that year. Would have worked well in Season 3.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

Neil Young’s well known rocker “Like A Hurricane” (1977) , Season 4s “Like A Hurricane” episode was named after this song, very fitting for Miami.

Mr Mister - Broken Wings.

I would have had this played at end of the Burnett Arc.

A song about picking up the pieces of your life and moving on.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

This is one that ever since I was a kid I always associated with Vice, even though it was never on the show.  Just got that vibe.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

This is one that ever since I was a kid I always associated with Vice, even though it was never on the show.  Just got that vibe.

Same here, Africa by Toto is another one.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 8:16 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Nice piece.

• Like 2

A perfect song - from the best EC album from 1989 “Journeyman”.  This album is less poppy than “August” released 3 years earlier. Phil Collins also hardly appears on Journeyman too, which is better so the result is less pop, more rock and blues. There are covers of Hard Times and Hound Dog.
Journeyman is the standout album from Eric Clapton. Recorded in 1989 in New York and London , Uk. 
August was a fine album also and Clapton was seeking a Phil Collins like sound and his solo success. August was recorded in April and May 1986 in Miami and London resulting in an end of year release just a year after the fine “Behind the Sun”.

Edited by Matt5

On 5/14/2023 at 9:16 PM, RedDragon86 said:

It fits MV nicely.

Odd I always associate this song with a video I watched as a kid, showing injured NBA players doing rehabilitation:

Edited by johnnyfarragut