Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

Another tower announced for Miami, and in total there are some 40 in the making now/soon. I'll highlight just the following 5 clustered closely together in what I call central Brickell. I really like that area as it slowly quiets down moving from the bustling north with its Mary Brickell Village to the serene South Miami Ave with single family homes and quite enjoyable Brickell Ave below SE 15th St.

Screenshot2024-02-28154010.thumb.png.bba9b9ddfbe25d30a589f9e8be90131e.png

The new news is Santander tower, replacing their existing shorter older building on the corner of Brickell Ave and SE 14th St.

SantanderTower.thumb.jpeg.6e5ae5b6291004cebce9ecc423257ae1.jpeg

Another new news is that something that has been in the works for few years now as 1 Southside Park (first image below) just got a new partner and branding (and renders, second image below) - the Mercedes-Benz tower. Of course Miami just finished Aston Martin Residences, and Sunny Isles has the Porsche Design Tower and just broke ground on Bentley Residencies. Luxury car brands love Miami!

1SouthsidePark.thumb.jpg.b962e429d9a294f30a7ed899c3b2d46c.jpg

Mercedes-BenzTower.thumb.jpeg.8581553ad5f789f8bc0c5985820d937a.jpeg

Right across from Santander on Brickell Ave there will be Residences at 1428.

TheResidencesat1428.thumb.jpg.63c077b7cbb860901c2802c5545e63d7.jpg

The big empty pit/field next to the Metromover line will finally become something - Cipriani Residences (the tallest one in the image), a partnership with the eponymous Italian restaurant brand.

CiprianiResidences.thumb.jpg.90958f1768299db412d4210aee5463a9.jpg

And another luxury brand collab - Ora by Casa Tua will somehow manage to perch behind 1200 Brickell Ave (notable in MV pilot opening montage and in True Lies filming, see this older post).

OrabyCasaTua.thumb.jpeg.2075f3882261b2c55289d14845bb6960.jpeg

Some have mixed feelings about all this development, but one has to admit these designs are pretty good compared to some more generic stuff that's been built over the last 10 years, like the tallest Panorama tower. The key of course is to have enough infrastructure/amenities like schools and parks so all these thousands of new residents can actually enjoy living in this Manhattan of the south.

Edited by Paul Veres
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

Another tower announced for Miami, and in total there are some 40 in the making now/soon. I'll highlight just the following 5 clustered closely together in what I call central Brickell. I really like that area as it slowly quiets down moving from the bustling north with its Mary Brickell Village to the serene South Miami Ave with single family homes and quite enjoyable Brickell Ave below SE 15th St.

The new news is Santander tower, replacing their existing shorter older building on the corner of Brickell Ave and SE 14th St.

Another new news is that something that has been in the works for few years now as 1 Southside Park (first image below) just got a new partner and branding (and renders, second image below) - the Mercedes-Benz tower. Of course Miami just finished Aston Martin Residences, and Sunny Isles has the Porsche Design Tower and just broke ground on Bentley Residencies. Luxury car brands love Miami!

The big empty pit/field next to the Metromover line will finally become something - Cipriani Residences (the tallest one in the image), a partnership with the eponymous Italian restaurant brand.

And another luxury brand collab - Ora by Casa Tua will somehow manage to perch behind 1200 Brickell Ave (notable in MV pilot opening montage and in True Lies filming, see this older post).

Some have mixed feelings about all this development, but one has to admit these designs are pretty good compared to some more generic stuff that's been built over the last 10 years, like the tallest Panorama tower. The key of course is to have enough infrastructure/amenities like schools and parks so all these thousands of new residents can actually enjoy living in this Manhattan of the south.

Thanks for all the details!  These are quite creative and unique designs.  The connection with luxury car brands is something I wasn’t aware of.  I don’t have mixed feelings about development in this way as Miami is growing in population rapidly and it is needed.  

I was just wondering if you knew anything about these projects’ plans for dealing with sea level rise.  King tides are already bringing flooding to the streets of many areas pretty regularly.  I saw an article in the fall showing big pumps in the streets to deal with some of it. That can’t be a long term solution.  Manhattan is developing sea walls, among other things, but I understand they are not as effective in South Florida because of the porous stone of the substrate.

53 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Thanks for all the details!  These are quite creative and unique designs.  The connection with luxury car brands is something I wasn’t aware of.  I don’t have mixed feelings about development in this way as Miami is growing in population rapidly and it is needed.  

I was just wondering if you knew anything about these projects’ plans for dealing with sea level rise.  King tides are already bringing flooding to the streets of many areas pretty regularly.  I saw an article in the fall showing big pumps in the streets to deal with some of it. That can’t be a long term solution.  Manhattan is developing sea walls, among other things, but I understand they are not as effective in South Florida because of the porous stone of the substrate.

The mixed feelings usually stem from all these new luxury condo buildings coming up (e.g. $1M+ studios plus large HOA fees) while we have lack of affordable housing. To be fair, there are a few workforce housing projects ongoing as well.

That's a good question, and what's interesting in no press releases or other marketing materials about these new skyscrapers did I see any mention of sea level rise mitigation strategies.

I'm pretty certain it's not king tides that generate those pictures of flooded Brickell/Downtown you're probably referring to - it happens during torrential rains. King tides alone don't do anything like that, but they obviously add insult to injury if combined with heavy rains.

On the county level, there was a proposal to build a sea wall, which met unanimous opposition, basically people felt it's gonna be like this and ruin Miami's visual allure (same central Brickell area behind Santander):

bbr4.jpg.ed5c6cb903f08a21195b10f8ffcff822.jpg

There was a more aesthetic plan with new islands and reefs but I cannot find it right now. 

Ultimately they might also try and raise some parts of the city as was done in Seattle and Chicago.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Paul Veres said:

The mixed feelings usually stem from all these new luxury condo buildings coming up (e.g. $1M+ studios plus large HOA fees) while we have lack of affordable housing. To be fair, there are a few workforce housing projects ongoing as well.

That's a good question, and what's interesting in no press releases or other marketing materials about these new skyscrapers did I see any mention of sea level rise mitigation strategies.

I'm pretty certain it's not king tides that generate those pictures of flooded Brickell/Downtown you're probably referring to - it happens during torrential rains. King tides alone don't do anything like that, but they obviously add insult to injury if combined with heavy rains.

On the county level, there was a proposal to build a sea wall, which met unanimous opposition, basically people felt it's gonna be like this and ruin Miami's visual allure (same central Brickell area behind Santander):

bbr4.jpg.ed5c6cb903f08a21195b10f8ffcff822.jpg

There was a more aesthetic plan with new islands and reefs but I cannot find it right now. 

Ultimately they might also try and raise some parts of the city as was done in Seattle and Chicago.

Thanks.

I found the article and the flooding apparently came days after any rain and during a King tide.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/climate-change/article281202298.html

I was actually thinking earlier of Seattle, that you mentioned.  Several years ago my wife and I took the “underground” tour there.  Quite an undertaking back then and Seattle was quite a small city at the time.  It seems like they would/should be considering this for all the new construction.

I would also add that the criticism of building high end housing is a bit short sighted.  Any type of new housing increases the stock and helps keep prices at all levels from rising as quickly.  The shortage of housing in LA is the result of limiting development and the reason for incredibly high housing costs in the region.  Lack of supply drives up cost.

4 hours ago, pahonu said:

Thanks.

I found the article and the flooding apparently came days after any rain and during a King tide.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/climate-change/article281202298.html

I was actually thinking earlier of Seattle, that you mentioned.  Several years ago my wife and I took the “underground” tour there.  Quite an undertaking back then and Seattle was quite a small city at the time.  It seems like they would/should be considering this for all the new construction.

I would also add that the criticism of building high end housing is a bit short sighted.  Any type of new housing increases the stock and helps keep prices at all levels from rising as quickly.  The shortage of housing in LA is the result of limiting development and the reason for incredibly high housing costs in the region.  Lack of supply drives up cost.

Yes, certainly supply of any sort helps. I think condo prices are already going down here, with all the thousands of units incoming. Houses not as much. 

Regarding the MH article - I always saw Brickell and Downtown flooded during rain, never without it, but that's just my experience from memory.

Downtown in the late 80s (the Bayside Marketplace seen opened in April 1987).

424759343_342937188724257_7175223947118434829_n.jpg

• Like 1

80s shot of the 79th Street Causeway looking west around Pelican Harbor (as seen in the limo scene in Over the line)

Bildschirmfoto 2024-02-12 um 23.57.37.png

• Like 5

Step aside, cool May the 4th for Star Wars meme!

It's a relatively new thing, running for its 11th year, and I actually haven't noticed it before this year, but congratulations everybody on the 305 day / Miami day! :dance2: Because it's March the 5th - get it? 305day.com 

Here is one way to celebrate - two local small chain restaurants, Coyo Taco famous for their tacos and Islas Canarias famous for their croquetas, partnered to make a taco-croqueta mash-up starting today and through the end of March. I did have a delicious croqueta sandwich before (at Tinta Y Cafe in Coral Gables), but this is something new to try!

image.jpg.26c77638a71d7a9d4050f46f610c2af3.jpg

https://www.timeout.com/miami/news/behold-the-croquetaco-022324

Edited by Paul Veres
  • Like 3

On 2/28/2024 at 4:15 PM, Paul Veres said:

Well, just when I mentioned the Porsche, Bentley, Aston Martin, and Mercedes-Benz towers - another one is announced, in North Bay Village.

Screenshot2024-03-06210615.thumb.png.43c0c19a405d392ad58238341fb3b471.png

Pagani Residences. 

Pagani-Residences-Miami-scaled.thumb.jpg.8b2336b06d8fef7201a166c95fb0577f.jpg

Surely looks like a nice building to fill that empty lot. But what exactly will be Pagani about it? Pagani's just recently launched interior design arm, Pagani Arte, will create the interiors for the 70 condos, which start at whopping $2.8 million. The interiors will be inspired by Leonardo da Vinci’s principles of Art and Science, which are generally aesthetic roots for Pagani Arte with its designs "characterized by precious craftsmanship, sophisticated technology, and extraordinary attention to detail". 

The architect is Revuelta, which authored several towers in Miami-Dade in the past, notably Santa Maria in South Brickell. 

Recall that Pagani just recently opened their US headquarters in Coral Gables, on which I reported here

• Like 2

Mouth of Miami River looking south in 1982. Left is a part of undeveloped Brickell Key.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-07 um 21.37.54.png

• Like 4

Miami Beach went berserk on the spring breakers this year, launching a whole campaign with the theme of... breaking up with them. There is a dedicated page: miamibeachfl.gov/breakup

Read through the measures they are taking - unprecedented! Will need an army to enforce all that effectively. It looks like the city is completely fed up with the annual mayhem (though maybe not the business owners). Will be interesting to see, next year, how much of a cooling effect it will have, because I doubt many coming down this year have noticed the campaign before leaving their home states.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Paul Veres said:

Miami Beach went berserk on the spring breakers this year, launching a whole campaign with the theme of... breaking up with them. There is a dedicated page: miamibeachfl.gov/breakup

Read through the measures they are taking - unprecedented! Will need an army to enforce all that effectively. It looks like the city is completely fed up with the annual mayhem (though maybe not the business owners). Will be interesting to see, next year, how much of a cooling effect it will have, because I doubt many coming down this year have noticed the campaign before leaving their home states.

Very interesting, because when I was in high school and college here in SoCal in the 80’s, the local Spring Break party locale was Palm Springs, until they cracked down pretty harshly and ended it.  I only went once, but recall that business owners in the area were not too happy that it was ended at the behest of the local homeowners.  It’s not a new story.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Paul Veres:

Fully understand that. When I was young spring break was in Daytona Beach or way north of Miami and more civilized. In 2018 I arrived in Miami Beach end of spring break. Some tourists told me that sleeping was impossible because there were big outdoor rave parties in SoBe hotels with 120+ decibels until 2 am. Luckily we arrived just on the day the idiots left town. 

And last year they turned Ocean Drive into a war zone, including shootings. So I fully support to tighten the bolts and keep these troublemakers out permanently.

P.S. we have similar issues here in Europe on northern Italy beaches now, mostly in a town called Lignano which is the northernmost sandy beach of the whole Mediterranean. That was a nice beach town for families with small kids but 4-5 years ago thousands of young drunk spring breakers coming in from Austria and Germany took over and turned the whole city into a madhouse including drinking, puking and f----g on beaches 24/7. The Italian police started the same discipline with severe fines and arrests that MB decided now ...  

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

A real shame the Beach authorities have to take those actions but it is necessary based on previous years.  Throughout history Miami has been a magnet for crime and evil doers.  Unfortunately it's the same today.  The state is ending help with extra cops etc.

Edited by miamijimf

somebody knows what this is. according to the apparent good shape of the buildings i'd tend for a miccosukee traditional village, but i'm not sure

SjRzgmFAu9.thumb.jpg.16db5c1566d23282beff1ef7a824e37e.jpg

MjViTUJY7D2.thumb.jpg.9488a439847037957aede7a4746c5e2b.jpg

(Google earth pro)

Edited by jpaul1

5 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Miami history.

Haven't even watched yet, but looks to be great. I assume you liked it given the post.

Miami, around 1984-85, Port of Miami bridge in the foreground. The Bayside mall has not been built and the landfill in front of it has not been done, that nails the date before 1985 (we see a scene there in opening credits of Nobody lives forever) 

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-17 um 00.21.16.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Paul Veres:

Where is this huge parking lot?

northside of Port Bvd (Port of Miami). You can see part of Terminal V (called today) on the far right of the picture)

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2

Long gone 21 Street Pizza, it was next to the "21 Street Cinema" sign visible in teasers of Little Prince and Florence Italy, the "Gayety Burlesque" establishment and close to then famous Wolfie´s on the corner. I lived across that block in the early 90s when the signs were still there. All razed later.

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-17 um 00.44.52.png

• Like 4