Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

2 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

Yeah, technically you can recreate the floor plan pretty accurately from that amount of photos, I did it before, but for this size of a house, it's gonna be potentially hours of work...

I agree!  I’ve done it before myself, for 42 Star Island, and then I got the actual floor plans from the Miami Historical Society and I was remarkably close.  This set of photos has something I didn’t have initially with that property… a very close up aerial shot of the house, with a drone it seems.  Sorry I couldn’t find plans, but with a bit of work, it is very possible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pahonu said:

Y’all probably know, but to be sure:

The house in the MV episodes is gone (unless I’m mixed up with another address). They built an entirely new house there a few years back. 

Forgive me if I missed/misunderstood your original intention(s). 

Edited by Dadrian

vor einer Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

Y’all probably know, but to be sure:

The house in the MV episodes is gone (unless I’m mixed up with another address). They built an entirely new house there a few years back. 

Forgive me if I missed/misunderstood your original intention(s). 

Sorry, Dadrian, but you mean the other house used in this episode at 20 Harbor POint (Vanessa´s house at the end and also used in Payback). This house was completely rebuilt and is unrecognizable.

The 28 Harbor point house -the one discussed above - and used in Great Mc Carthy´s breakfast/ kitchen/party scene and in Trust fund pirates is nearly unchanged.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

Sorry, Dadrian, but you mean the other house used in this episode at 20 Harbor POint (Vanessa´s house at the end and also used in Payback). This house was completely rebuilt and is unrecognizable.

The 28 Harbor point house -the one discussed above - and used in Great Mc Carthy´s breakfast/ kitchen/party scene and in Trust fund pirates is nearly unchanged.

Okay gotcha. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 1:06 PM, jpaul1 said:

good image of the Fontainebleau mural. RIP

420078836_699407822379865_553947292524401614_n.thumb.jpg.c1cb1d3ad40f7e00302b179e61ec6891.jpg

If I remember correctly, they toured the Fontainebleau on an episode of Bob Vila’s Home Again TV renovation series.  I believe the architect was Morris Lapidus.

Edit:

I found it, season 15 episode 1.

https://www.bobvila.com/sections/tv-shows/projects/9-miami-beach-condo/episodes/101-miami-real-estate-search/videos/1080610141001-history-of-miami-beach-tour-of-fountainbleau

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

as i already told in a previous post, the fontainebleau has been chosen by miamians in a poll as most significant landmark in Miami architecture

• Like 1

same as 28 harbor key above. i'm looking for plans of Lao Li house (golden triangle), or (by any chance) images

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure where to best post this now because the original thread was closed due to all the heat there, but it's important for folks here to know that as per this Instagram post some organizer relationship broke up and ViceEvent.com appears to not be the official site of the event anymore (indeed the attending stars page was removed).

I hope @MiamiViceCity86 (name not taggable for some reason), will come in somewhere and give us an update. @timm525 / @Ferrariman maybe it's good to unlock the original thread because that's the most natural place to post an update on, unless there is a new designated thread I'm not aware of. 

Screenshot2024-02-13202607.thumb.png.7196da9160ac6c50f6c944a950a83ccc.png

Edited by Paul Veres
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Paul Veres said:

I am not sure where to best post this now because the original thread was closed due to all the heat there, but it's important for folks here to know that as per this Instagram post some organizer relationship broke up and ViceEvent.com appears to not be the official site of the event anymore (indeed the attending stars page was removed).

I hope @MiamiViceCity86 (name not taggable for some reason), will come in somewhere and give us an update. @timm525 / @Ferrariman maybe it's good to unlock the original thread because that's the most natural place to post an update on, unless there is a new designated thread I'm not aware of. 

Screenshot2024-02-13202607.thumb.png.7196da9160ac6c50f6c944a950a83ccc.png

The user you tried to mention was banned. 

It seems that our @VICE365 and his pal Stuart are now having a separate event for the cars and boats thing, and RB, Derek, and company are doing the stars, museum, and dinner thing. 

“I’m not sure how this is gonna work out style and persona-wise”  :) 

I haven’t heard from Derek or @VICE365 since that IG post, but I sincerely hope all is well with everyone. 

So will we have to buy tickets for both events now? ?(

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

The user you tried to mention was banned. 

It seems that our @VICE365 and his pal Stuart are now having a separate event for the cars and boats thing, and RB, Derek, and company are doing the stars, museum, and dinner thing. 

“I’m not sure how this is gonna work out style and persona-wise”  :) 

I haven’t heard from Derek or @VICE365 since that IG post, but I sincerely hope all is well with everyone. 

So will we have to buy tickets for both events now? ?(

The boat thing is not certain to put it mildly. I just spoke to Derek over phone, and it appears ViceEvent.com won't be able to pretty much do anything significant because all the main events are tied to Derek and his associates. His guidance is to email ViceEvent.com (see contacts page) and ask for a refund, which I just did. He said others who did it received a confirmation that they would be reimbursed shortly. Derek will be opening his own sales over the next few days.

I anticipate some Miami level heat here, so let's all please stay civil and avoid getting this whole Misc thread locked :)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators

With everything up in the air right now I would recommend that anyone planning to go, buy your tickets at the door!  I seem to remember one of the original posts saying there would be NO refunds.   Buyer beware! 

As for the post above by Paul Veres,  the original topic will not be re-opened.  Watch for a new post with updates which I have authorized.  That's the best I can offer right now.  Stay tuned!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I had a magic wand, (or a lot of $$$), I would fly us fans from around the world to Miami, hire a cinema and screen the pilot movie to celebrate the 40th anniversary.

ps. Also I'd force Dadrian to score the whole event:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ii think it's interesting to note that that sport seems not to be able to survive without the pari-mutuel. in opposition to tennis, or golf for example.

i never saw ja alai in real myself, but i played squash in my youth. and i loved that game. and i could watch that sport as a spectator too. i would need to watch a match in real to make myself a good idea about that game. some sports have only few interesting (IMO) outside betting. for example horse racing which i know quite a bit as my dad was a turf enthousiast and brought me often on horse racetracks with him when i was a kid, has only few interest outside betting.

i would have to watch a ja alai game to make myself an idea

Wish them luck saving it.  Would be a real loss.  At least it is still going strong in French Basque Country, although that is not much compensation.

• Like 2

yeah personnally i used to see the ja alai as a strong marker of Miami. but well sometimes history takes paths no human can stop you know. I sincerely hope they'll suceed in saving it. even crumbs. the important being it doesn't die

• Like 1

I think it’s basically a matter of time and people’s tastes changing.  I’ve read about sports obscure today that used to be quite popular in various places.  One was bicycle track racing, which took place on indoor wood floored velodromes.  The audiences bet on the winners like horse racing.  This was in the late 19th and early 20th century.  It’s still around, but used to be much more popular.  There were velodromes in cities across the US, some cities having multiple venues. One of its big stars, in this time of segregation, was actually an African American rider named Major Taylor.  

I recall reading 25+ years ago, an article by an LA Times sports writer who was retiring, about changing tastes in sports.  This was in the 90’s.  He recalled the most popular sports (and the most coveted beat to report on) when he began his career after WWII were boxing, horse racing, and MLB.  I’ve also read several articles in the last few years about the very large number of municipal golf courses around the country that have closed as the sport’s popularity is waning with younger generations.  At least jai alai is still popular somewhere.

“Real tennis” is another example.  It predates the tennis we all know today.  It was once the popular version in the 18th and 19th centuries and a court was even built at Versailles.  There are only a couple of dozen courts left in the world today.  It’s a strange mashup of tennis and racquetball, with walls and roof slopes that the ball can be played off of.

Edit: here’s a link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_tennis

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I think it’s basically a matter of time and people’s tastes changing.  I’ve read about sports obscure today that used to be quite popular in various places.  One was bicycle track racing, which took place on indoor wood floored velodromes.  The audiences bet on the winners like horse racing.  This was in the late 19th and early 20th century.  It’s still around, but used to be much more popular.  There were velodromes in cities across the US, some cities having multiple venues. One of its big stars, in this time of segregation, was actually an African American rider named Major Taylor.  

I recall reading 25+ years ago, an article by an LA Times sports writer who was retiring, about changing tastes in sports.  This was in the 90’s.  He recalled the most popular sports (and the most coveted beat to report on) when he began his career after WWII were boxing, horse racing, and MLB.  I’ve also read several articles in the last few years about the very large number of municipal golf courses around the country that have closed as the sport’s popularity is waning with younger generations.  At least jai alai is still popular somewhere.

“Real tennis” is another example.  It predates the tennis we all know today.  It was once the popular version in the 18th and 19th centuries and a court was even built at Versailles.  There are only a couple of dozen courts left in the world today.  It’s a strange mashup of tennis and racquetball, with walls and roof slopes that the ball can be played off of.

Edit: here’s a link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_tennis

Yes, it's interesting how sports die. I remember walking in Chichen Itza through what used to be a court for a ball game among Mayans and other Mesoamerican peoples, thinking "it's a dynamic demanding game with cool rules, why nobody plays it today?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_ballgame

I think Miami and MD need to come in with public support and revive Jai Alai beyond commercial interest, and make it another unique differentiator of Miami as they build out its international brand. It's just too cool and unique to miss out. Add it to that bragging that we now have all the major sports represented... NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, Miami Open, Formula 1... make it a loud Jai Alai capital of Americas!

• Like 2