That Epic Mural at Tommy’s Garage

Dadrian

I was looking at some artwork on eBay and came across a painting in which the style seemed very familiar to me. It was by Rick Garcia. Upon further investigation, he is a Miami native artist who was “commissioned to do a mural on a three story building for Miami Vice”. It’s gotta be him, right?

3E4634E1-2F4F-4BA7-BF92-E2E1DDBAD7FF.png

BED130B4-E6F9-475E-854D-1ECC72FDAE89.jpeg

C492FF4C-E185-4112-954C-6A263B5D2320.jpeg

377F8157-A0D1-485E-A3EC-0E885D68DC30.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators

It must be him. It's similar style-wise. And I can't recall any other three-story murals in the series.

I wonder if he can replicate it. I want a big one I can print on things, or wallpaper. :)

rickgarcia_97997_1.jpg

159630.jpg

19488692_10158984437130078_7045102588650967221_o.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/7/2018 at 7:21 AM, Dadrian said:

Upon further investigation, he is a Miami native artist who was “commissioned to do a mural on a three story building for Miami Vice”. It’s gotta be him, right?

Yes that's him. He also did other paintings for Miami Vice. In a smaller scale though. If I'm not wrong, I believe they were featured in Costalada's office. Edit: I meant Bonzo Barry's office, not Costalada. 

From this clip I uploaded 2 months ago, it's been displayed in the Miami Vice exhibit amongst a lot of other Vice memorabilia. Presented by Art Director Jeffrey Howard, who worked on MV's first two seasons and had a small part in "Bought and Paid for."

Edited by summer84
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Cool, what happened to all that memorabilia, anyone know?

Unfortunately no. Regarding the sculptures and paintings my guess would be that it was kept at Universal Studios at the time and/or maybe sold later on. In 1989 a garage sale was held where a lot of MV stuff were sold. The MV museum opening is also mentioned in "The Making of Miami Vice" book. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

I've seen several locally shot videos on this site about Miami Vice that came from the Wolfsonian Archives.  One featured Michael Talbott interviewing random apartment residents while Vice was broadcast on TV.  I think they were originally from a local TV station WTVJ.  Anyone know the web address for these Vice related videos?  I used to have that link but can't find it.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

I've seen several locally shot videos on this site about Miami Vice that came from the Wolfsonian Archives.  One featured Michael Talbott interviewing random apartment residents while Vice was broadcast on TV.  I think they were originally from a local TV station WTVJ.  Anyone know the web address for these Vice related videos?  I used to have that link but can't find it.  Thanks.

http://www.wolfsonarchives.info Their website

You just have to type in MV, where it says Search the Catalog. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/03/2018 at 3:48 AM, summer84 said:

Yes that's him. He also did other paintings for Miami Vice. In a smaller scale though. If I'm not wrong, I believe they were featured in Costalada's office.

From this clip I uploaded 2 months ago, it's been displayed in the Miami Vice exhibit amongst a lot of other Vice memorabilia. Presented by Art Director Jeffrey Howard, who worked on MV's first two seasons and had a small part in "Bought and Paid for."

Great information - Thankyou :hippie:

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, James said:

It must be him. It's similar style-wise. And I can't recall any other three-story murals in the series.

19488692_10158984437130078_7045102588650967221_o.jpg

I'd forgotten how striking this mural is...=)

• Like 2

I agree, it's an amazing Vice mural. 

Here is some more of the mural. I remembered that it was photographed with the Testarossa. It was still there in September 1987. 

mural.jpg.85dd0e0cde6d805f65b8994bded54c50.jpg

gallery-1436387982-vice-1.jpg.002feb51423c40a54deca5e5802b725e.jpg

Edited by summer84
  • Like 3

This is the stunt Testarossa, based on the DeTomaso Pantera chassis. Strange they used this car for the pictures and not the real deal. Or are the fake Ferraris contents of the photo story?

There exist pictures of this place (Tommys Garage), how it presents today?

Edited by Pritt
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pritt said:

There exist pictures of this place (Tommys Garage), how it presents today?

Sadly, it is gone.  It was demolished in the early 1990s to make room for the Metromover (elevated train).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Sadly, it is gone.  It was demolished in the early 1990s to make room for the Metromover (elevated train).

Here’s the view over that area nowadays (taken from the Metromover stop):

B6701CC7-AEF2-443A-82BD-1DAB8CF7FFA7.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Pritt said:

This is the stunt Testarossa, based on the DeTomaso Pantera chassis. Strange they used this car for the pictures and not the real deal. Or are the fake Ferraris contents of the photo story?

Haven't read the article, but just now read a bit and it's an interview with Carl Roberts about the two cars story in detail.

From the downloads section: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the Popular Mechanics magazine with the Cars of MV cover story, in which the stunt car is illustrated with a cutaway view. It’s probably posted somewhere here, too haha. 

20 hours ago, summer84 said:

Haven't read the article, but just now read a bit and it's an interview with Carl Roberts about the two cars story in detail.

From the downloads section: 

Thankyou ! Interesting article Summer:hippie:

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Nice picture :hippie:

Thanks! If you pan around to the left from that MetroMover stop, you can see Artie’s apartments building. :thumbsup:

BF8B7B69-5864-4AEC-AB88-6248D7986812.jpeg

• Like 1

...and, of course, the Omni building would be right behind you, as seen behind the Daytona as it wheels into Tommy’s Garage in “One Way Ticket”.