That Epic Mural at Tommy’s Garage

Dadrian

20 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I have the Popular Mechanics magazine with the Cars of MV cover story, in which the stunt car is illustrated with a cutaway view. It’s probably posted somewhere here, too haha. 

Yep! Much of it can be found right here on the site! :thumbsup: There are two issues of that magazine, one from 1986 and another from 87 in the downloads section.  

I often find these magazines on google books as well. 

Edited by summer84
  • Thanks 1

I forgot about the paintings in Bonzo Barry’s office. These are surely Rick Garcias, as well. 

• Like 3

Anyone know who drew the graffiti in Shadow in the Dark and the (similar) psychotic cartoons in Little Miss Dangerous?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/29/2018 at 10:43 AM, miamijimf said:

Anyone know who drew the graffiti in Shadow in the Dark and the (similar) psychotic cartoons in Little Miss Dangerous?

Good question.  These pics are from our website glossary:

miss10.jpg

miss25.jpg

shadow04.jpg

16 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Good question.  These pics are from our website glossary:

miss10.jpg

miss25.jpg

shadow04.jpg

Would be nice to know! A local artist perhaps or someone from the art department having a good sense for making dark disturbing drawings. 

• 4 months later...
57 minutes ago, Texas Raider said:

Disregard previous post, didn't read whole thread.

No worries. Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

• 4 years later...

As the renovations on my new home are about finished, I thought about having a custom mural of this image printed for one of the walls of my music room. 

@RedDragon86 @Crockettt @AndrewRemington do any of you have a way of making a source image from the Blu Ray discs with your wizardry? It may even have to be pieces together from multiple screen caps, but it would be a great contribution to fans, and certainly a big deal to me!

I reached out to Rick Garcia, and he said he had no photos of the mural. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dadrian said:

As the renovations on my new home are about finished, I thought about having a custom mural of this image printed for one of the walls of my music room. 

@RedDragon86 @Crockettt @AndrewRemington do any of you have a way of making a source image from the Blu Ray discs with your wizardry? It may even have to be pieces together from multiple screen caps, but it would be a great contribution to fans, and certainly a big deal to me!

I reached out to Rick Garcia, and he said he had no photos of the mural. 

Which screenshot do you need? @Dadrian

Edited by RedDragon86

1 hour ago, Crockettt said:

@Dadrian I will take a screenshots tomorrow and send you via PM :thumbsup:

AWESOME!

17 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Which screenshot do you need? @Dadrian

Do these help?

1.png

er.png

I actually don’t have the software/skills to make it myself. I’m wondering if someone could use various shots to maybe piece together a single rendered image. I’m sure it would be an undertaking. It would even be okay with me if the finished product was a bit digital looking (like the Miami Vice Art guy from Instagram whose work you share here often—I reached out to him on IG and he only has versions with the entire shot, cars and all). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

AWESOME!

I actually don’t have the software/skills to make it myself. I’m wondering if someone could use various shots to maybe piece together a single rendered image. I’m sure it would be an undertaking. It would even be okay with me if the finished product was a bit digital looking (like the Miami Vice Art guy from Instagram whose work you share here often—I reached out to him on IG and he only has versions with the entire shot, cars and all). 

Hey Dadrian,

I think you’re going to have a hard time scaling up any image from DVD, even Blu Ray, to the size of a wall in a room.  It will be far too pixilated, though perhaps there is a way to smooth that out.  

However, I can tell you that the mural in the episode looks to me less like Rick Garcia’s surrealist artworks that you found, than it does Patrick Nagel’s pop art work... or maybe it’s more of a combination of the two.  Sadly he died much to young in the 80’s.

Here’s a link:

https://www.muddycolors.com/2020/11/artist-of-the-month-patrick-nagel/

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Edited by pahonu
  • Thanks 1

@DadrianHere is the only original picture of that mural that I know of. It was taken when the gas station was already closed.

Interesting that Rick Garcia has no picture of his own work. I

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-13 um 00.31.35.png

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Tom said:

@DadrianHere is the only original picture of that mural that I know of. It was taken when the gas station was already closed.

Interesting that Rick Garcia has no picture of his own work. I

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-13 um 00.31.35.png

Cool! I’ll share this with Rick. Thank you!

@pahonu Yeah I realize that, thus my bit about a digital recreation of some kind. Idk—maybe impossible. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

Rare picture of Rick Garcia (on the left) and Robin Lanvin painting the iconic mural at Tommy's Garage.

mural.jpg

Dang those watermarks! I’m sure Rick would love to have this otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul K. said:

With a bit of Photoshop magic, I am sure we can make this happen!

A brief mock-up of blending the pictures together below (still a work in progress):

Screen Shot 2022-12-25 at 10.25.38 PM.png

“James Bond, my man!”

This is what I was talking about guys! 

I’m loving it Paul! :fireworks::clap:

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Rick shared a photo of himself from the MV period today. He’s working on a coffee table book that I am very excited to have. 

9CE6CE6E-597B-41D3-96E2-1B52A859EC07.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1