Jan Hammer Secret Admirer Finale

Marco Falcone

Trying to find this Jan Hammer tune, from the movie Secret Admirer.  It’s the “Finale.”  Sound sooo Vicey!

I’m not the most computer savvy person...  Does anyone have a link to something I could get into my iTunes?

Thanks very much!

6 minutes ago, Marco Falcone said:

Trying to find this Jan Hammer tune, from the movie Secret Admirer.  It’s the “Finale.”  Sound sooo Vicey!

I’m not the most computer savvy person...  Does anyone have a link to something I could get into my iTunes?

Thanks very much!

I will post this most excellent song for you, and private message you a link on this site. :thumbsup:

Thank you!   Excited to get this tune!

My “Vice 80’s” playlist is up to 7 hours of music now.  

Admittedly not all of the music on it was used in the show...   A number of songs are 80’s tunes that just fit the vibe for me and my Vice “fantasy” life.  For example, I just added Mr. Hammer’s “Cocaine Cowboys” EP.

Again, thanks!

• Like 2

This track is fantastic! As far as I know never released on CD. Jan Hammer power to build up climax seems to be unlimited.

A little off topic, but this track shows it. Is it me, or sometimes Jan's super powerful snare drum sounds a bit like Alex van Halen's? As by then Jan could sample whatever he wanted, I even wonder if he could have sampled VH's snare drum...

Wow heard this on You tube for the first time so Vicey - it sounds like it could have been lifted right from an episode.                          Slightly over produced in parts but I love it! 

Has elements of the Jan Hammer themes from the bust scenes in “Home Invaders” also used in the teaser of “Sons and Lovers”. 

This movie was released in June 1985 so JH must have been working on this just before Season 1 finished and just after.

Edited by Matt5

I will get that MP3 to you, @Matt5

You should watch this movie sometime. It’s not great, but the Jan Hammer score was made with all the same instruments as MV. There is also an infant stage of the music from “Good Collar” teaser in one scene. 

Beware: it is an 80s teen movie, like it or not. 

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

I will get that MP3 to you, @Matt5

You should watch this movie sometime. It’s not great, but the Jan Hammer score was made with all the same instruments as MV. There is also an infant stage of the music from “Good Collar” teaser in one scene. 

Beware: it is an 80s teen movie, like it or not. 

I’ll see if I can catch movie - I’m amazed I’ve never heard of this JH tune or this movie from 1985 till Today. This will supplement JHs other work nicely! Thankyou

• Like 1

At one minute in there is a piece that’s so Miami Vice it should have been in the show itself! I hear variations of this theme from Season 1 and 2 as well as some early Season 3. Great theme JH!:radio:

Ikr. It’s better than many many of his MV cues, IMO. It totally doesn’t fit the movie for me though. It’s almost like a lost MV song he just threw in for Secret Admirer. 

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Ikr. It’s better than many many of his MV cues, IMO. It totally doesn’t fit the movie for me though. It’s almost like a lost MV song he just threw in for Secret Admirer. 

Yes exactly - and the format of it is similar to Miami Vice : New York Theme which premiered in September 1985 for Season 2s “Prodigal Son” - not that the pieces sound the same but the structure going from intensity to melody so well.

This Secret Admirer is a great piece.

23 hours ago, Marco Falcone said:

Thank you!   Excited to get this tune!

My “Vice 80’s” playlist is up to 7 hours of music now.  

Admittedly not all of the music on it was used in the show...   A number of songs are 80’s tunes that just fit the vibe for me and my Vice “fantasy” life.  For example, I just added Mr. Hammer’s “Cocaine Cowboys” EP.

Again, thanks!

Vice “fantasy” life I like it !...This will ring true to many of us here :hippie:

Got it and was able to successfully add it to my iPhone Music “Vice 80’s” playlist.  Now I can play it in my truck!

Thank you Dadrian!  Mille Grazie!

It really sounds sooo Vicey.  (Vice-ish?).  It would be interesting to know when he composed it in relation to the work he was doing on MV, to get an idea of what influenced what first.

And the Vice Fantasy Life, or “VFL” for short, seems to be a common affliction in these parts.  Especially for those of us of a certain age group...

Example:  Last week I ordered a new car.  A 2018 Camaro 2SS convertible.  Black with tan leather interior (called “Kalahari) and bright silver wheels.  Absolutely inspired by a certain Ferrari replica.   Wanted the ‘Vette Convertible in the same color combo, but I have 5 year old and need the back seats.  First thing to be played on the stereo when I take delivery in a couple of months will be be song 1 of my “Vice 80’s” playlist:  The Original Miami Vice theme.  Second song on that playlist is Honeymoon Suite’s “Bad Attitude”, followed by “Crockett’s Theme”, followed by “Smuggler’s Blues,” and I’m sure I’ll get to the Secret Admirer “Finale” before I get home.

I may have to do a full, fish-tail burn out off the dealer lot...

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Six weeks after this thread was created, Jan Hammer posted the track on Youtube .  I wonder if he saw this thread?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

This track came to mind. sadly not an instrumental only version.

Well surely you’re aware of this very similar-sounding track Jan made with Al Di Meola around the same time (that is totally an instrumental): 

• Like 2

No. I was not aware. Some times I barely know what day it is!:hippie:

I have some old Hammer stuff with him and Schon, him and Beck. I love the tracks Untold passion and Escape.

Hammer's score of Secret Admirer is awesome btw.

cheers Dadrian

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Well surely you’re aware of this very similar-sounding track Jan made with Al Di Meola around the same time (that is totally an instrumental): 

Sequencer is one of my absolute favorite tunes that Jan plays on!  I've also been a fan of Ai DiMeola ever since his "Return to Forever" days with Chick Corea. Incredible guitarist!

7 hours ago, fakespyder said:

No. I was not aware.

Dang I wish I were you. I’d love to hear that song for the first time again! :) 

Hope you enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Speaking of “Secret Admirer” our old buddy Rick Leon has been working on some of that music, and posted one on YouTube yesterday! It’s really cool!

Anyone that’s interested, please give my friend a like, comment, and subscription! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Speaking of “Secret Admirer” our old buddy Rick Leon has been working on some of that music, and posted one on YouTube yesterday! It’s really cool!

Anyone that’s interested, please give my friend a like, comment, and subscription! :thumbsup:

This is Rick? I’m seriously impressed! Sounds awesome!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

This is Rick? I’m seriously impressed! Sounds awesome!

Yeah (and he posted just above you there). Check out the rest that channel for some of the other Secret Admirer cues. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Thanks 1