New Jan Hammer Album 7/20/18!

Dadrian

6 hours ago, Matt5 said:

. I notice the album is released by Country and Eastern Music they released Snapshots 1.2 by JH in 2000 as well as The Complete Collection by JH in 2002 and Best of Miami Vice JH album in 2004

I believe that’s Jan’s publishing company. My JH vinyls all the way back to the 1970s are “Country and Eastern Music” (named after the song Jan released with Jerry Goodman on the 1974 album “Like Children”)  

Someone correct me if I’m wrong. :birdie:

6 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I believe that’s Jan’s publishing company. My JH vinyls all the way back to the 1970s are “Country and Eastern Music” (named after the song Jan released with Jerry Goodman on the 1974 album “Like Children”)  

Someone correct me if I’m wrong. :birdie:

Interesting thankyou - 

Dadrian I look forward to your mini review of the new JH album. Reviews seem to be mixed of the few I’ve seen.

• Administrators
On 7/19/2018 at 1:21 AM, Marco Falcone said:

There are numerous threads with countless posts about cajoling, praying, begging Mr. Hammer to release the still “unreleased” cues and tunes from the greatest TV show of all time in some type of “album” form. 

Some way for the members of this Forum (with a capital “F”) to be a large enough, specialized enough group of buyers to get Mr. Hammer’s attention and then make the humble request for the “Final Release” (no not like in some back-alley Miami massage parlor) of those last, great bits of the greatest soundtrack from the greatest TV show ever?

Maybe it’s a pipe dream.   

Assuming I'm the one with the capital "F"  I have already cajoled, prayed and begged for the release we all want.  E-mailed with Jan's manager, Elliot Sears, a few years ago who pretty much confirmed your pipe dream theory.  The main problem is that Jan's music from Vice speaks to a very small group of dedicated fans. According to Mr. Sears "The (In)Complete Collection" (as I like to call it) was far from a financial success.  The other problem is that Universal, not Jan,  owns the music so, like the 1st release, Jan would have to re-record all the music, probably with minor changes which I for one do not like.

Trust me, we've tried

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Assuming I'm the one with the capital "F" 

I think he was referring to his capitalization of “Forum” :p

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I think he was referring to his capitalization of “Forum” :p

Cute! :clap:

Very interesting. I just listened to the teaser clip that Dadrian posted at the beginning of this thread... very "vice" like percussion.

Also though - is anybody else getting kind of a Tim Truman feel from that electric guitar and the harmonies? Some of it sounds vaguely like season 5...

Ferrariman:  As a member of several different forums based on various interests, (TV/Film, music, firearms/weapons, martial training, cars, etc.) I consider this to be my Favorite Forum.  (2 capital F’s!)  So the capital “F” was indeed in reference to this “Forum”, not any particular member.

My apologies for not having the knowledge of your attempts to get the music released and the unfortunate outcome.  (But thanks for all the work to do so.)

It’s a shame Mr. Hammer doesn’t own the rights to his own work.  And I agree that any “re-working” would be detrimental to the material.  (The “re-mastered” version of the Original Theme with the more muted drums/snare is infuriating.)

But as you said, for the BMC (Big Media Company) that owns the rights, unless there’s is significant profitability then it sit in the “no-go criteria” file.  

CD are subject to decay. best is mp3, or if you can wav or flac, and back them up. mp3 is better if you want to read them on smartphone. nowadays smartphones sometimes have difficulties to read large files like wav. ordered it, because i liked Miami night. so far the 2 first tracks Miami nights, and 68 reasons are really cool. pure 80s Jan Hammer. Dadrian did you post this on GTAforums, or do you want me to do it. i'm pretty sure there will be lot of people interested there (lot of Vice city junkies ;)). oh yeah, the 3rd track ocean drive is really nice too. seems we have a gem there :cool:

8 hours ago, jpm1 said:

Dadrian did you post this on GTAforums, or do you want me to do it

I only post here and talkbass forums, and rarely on the latter, so have at it! :thumbsup:

I think this album is great. Very enjoyable if you like instrumental music. It’s hard for me to remain objective about Jan Hammer playing modern instruments. The compositions and arrangements are great, but I can never truly love a JH tune without his classic instruments from the 70s and 80s. I’m not complaining though. Those instruments were very temperamental even new. Now they are more faulty and very expensive to repair and maintain. Having a Korg Triton similar to the one he uses very heavily on this set, I can attest to how easy it is to create music on one, so whatever it takes to keep the workflow going is paramount for a one man band. I will also say that he totally delivers on his signature distortion guitar sounds on this album. The Triton does those very well. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

Of those tracks, I liked on the album are definitely for me "Miami Night" which is inspired by MV and gives that Nostalgic feel, when you listen to it. "New World 2," another track very Vice like along with "Santuary" that also reminds me of the song "Brother's in Arms" featured in "OWTBDR." 

"Suite European" the melody that starts at 32 sec, I feel like, I've heard something similar before, maybe in a movie? 

The most favorite track would be "New World 2.":radio:

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

i only listened half of the album so far. but there's something that came back to my mind several times, it's sincerity. whatever the album is great, or eventually not that good it sounds sincere, and i like it. i didn't say the album was bad, i'm just saying i didn't finish listening it. so far, i was really loving it

1 hour ago, jpm1 said:

i only listened half of the album so far. but there's something that came back to my mind several times, it's sincerity. whatever the album is great, or eventually not that good it sounds sincere, and i like it. i didn't say the album was bad, i'm just saying i didn't finish listening it. so far, i was really loving it

Thankyou jpm1 - reviews have been mixed I’ve seen even among Miami Vice fans - so I’m pleased!

23 hours ago, jpm1 said:

why do you thank me. are you Jan Hammer VaAWvh6.gif

Actually I am Jan Hammer yes - so good reviews please.:)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

The percussion on "Miami Night" has a lot in common with S1 Smuggler's Bridge:

Also, there's an interview in Keyboard Magazine with Jan Hammer from May of this year where he talks about the new album... hope this hasn't already been posted...

https://www.keyboardmag.com/news/jan-hammer-to-release-seasons-pt-1-july-20

Not seen this so good link!  I posted a review last week.

10 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

i don't see the CD on Amazon yet

Yes it’s still on Amazon.com being sold by cd baby at around $13.:cheers:

Just drove through nightly downtown here with the top down and Miami Nights on the stereo (via youtube). Still 85 degrees here at 11:50 pm... 

Just sublime. So modern, and yet, so 30 years ago. Jan Hammer is still a master of synth music. Perfect track for this kind of thing.

This is what Miami Vice would sound like today if Jan Hammer had stayed on and we'd be in season 34 :)

I will definitely be buying the whole CD.

I will definit

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 3:12 PM, Dadrian said:

Okay EVERY time I start a news (info) topic, someone else starts another one, and that one becomes the thread. So here goes :) :

So @Yarn Hammer started this topic a month before I did :) :) :) :) :) 

Just bought this as a download and listened to the whole thing. As previously mentioned,  the track " April" borrows heavily from the main theme in the Baby Blues episode.

If you're a bigger fan of Hammer's Miami Vice theme, this album is probably otherwise a disappointment.  This is Hammer in his more subdued range. I enjoyed the music on this album. It is as the title has implied.  It's rife with moods meant to inspire visions/ feelings of Seasons and maybe even certain places. 

Very typical of what Jan has come to be known for since the end of MV. 

I discovered him listening to the Mahavishnu Orchestra some years before Miami Vice. So I've  always known kind of what to expect from him musically, That group also had the great Billy Cobham and Jean Luc Ponty in it. Good stuff. Really liked the stuff he did with Jeff Beck and have always wondered if Starcycle, inspired the sound that became the signature Vice sound.

• Like 2

My cd version arrived Today and its in a digipak which I quite like. There’s a reference to Red Gate Records on the back which is cool. I’ll take a picture later, this will tide me over till a vinyl release if ever ! ( of this album):hippie:

@Dadrian I think it was James who said he thought the album was made with computer programs? What do you think - and of the album ? As reviews are very mixed even with us Vicers.

Edited by Matt5

45 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

@Dadrian I think it was James who said he thought the album was made with computer programs? What do you think - and of the album ? As reviews are very mixed even with us Vicers

He used all his digital synths (Korg, Kerzwiel, etc.) from the past 20 years or so, along with some software synths (“computer programs” or VSTs). They are more convenient and more dependable than the old Miami Vice synths he has long since retired. There is one part I mentioned somewhere that really sounds like a Memorymoog, but I’m not sure. He has two of those, and one of them doesn’t work anymore. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

He used all his digital synths (Korg, Kerzwiel, etc.) from the past 20 years or so, along with some software synths (“computer programs” or VSTs). They are more convenient and more dependable than the old Miami Vice synths he has long since retired. There is one part I mentioned somewhere that really sounds like a Memorymoog, but I’m not sure. He has two of those, and one of them doesn’t work anymore. 

Great info - thanks. 

Would you, and others, like pictures of the digipak quite nice item!