Just got Miami Vice on Blu-Ray!

Assasinge

I'm so excited right now, just got my Miami Vice Blu-Ray set in the mail a few mins ago!

For those of you who also own the Blu-Ray set, is there anything I should know about this set that is off putting or isn't right? Just wondering before I actually cut the plastic and such so I might have to return it if anything bad surfaces about it?

image.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

• Like 4

Umm...

I watch the Blu Rays every night and always enjoy them. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

Coooool, that cover of the boxset is so sweet man:cool:

There were some reports that the 5.1 audio was bugged or messed up but I've never tried it. You can just choose the 2.0 sound on the main menu screen and I haven't had any problems yet with sound or visuals.

• Like 2

somebody can explain to me what's is the point of the Blu-ray collection. i swear i'm not sarcastic. the series being an 80s series, i just want to know if there's a real interest in purchasing the Blu-ray. and also what are these 'lost episodes'

Edited by jpm1

The images are much sharper and higher resolution . It’s more noticeable in scenes with natural light—you can see individual hairs, skin textures, etc. I too listen in 2.0 stereo (as the show was intended). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Coooool, that cover of the boxset is so sweet man:cool:

There were some reports that the 5.1 audio was bugged or messed up but I've never tried it. You can just choose the 2.0 sound on the main menu screen and I haven't had any problems yet with sound or visuals.

Haha yeah, I love the cover of this set! It looks awesome sitting next to my other collections as well

About those audio reports, yeah I heard about them too on the reviews but it seems Mill Creek addressed the issues as per episode and sent out replacement discs to those who experienced the issues a while back. I don't know if it's corrected now, since I bought this 2 days ago. I haven't encountered any complaints yet, I also listen in 2.0 surround sound as Dadrian mentioned haha

2 hours ago, jpm1 said:

somebody can explain to me what's is the point of the Blu-ray collection. i swear i'm not sarcastic. the series being an 80s series, i just want to know if there's a real interest in purchasing the Blu-ray. and also what are these 'lost episodes'

Me personally, I just like HD res of a show that's been filmed over 30 years ago. Some prefer the original format, totally understandable. I saw the show in original low quality too and enjoyed it nonetheless. But this is a personal thing I'd say. Lost episodes? Well here you go:

http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/"Lost"_Episodes

• Thanks 1

didn't know about these. this is what i like with the 80s. even 40 years later, there are still things yet to be discovered

• Administrators

Nice, pal! Enjoy them!

If they're freshly printed you should have the fixed episodes, but if the 5.1 audio track is still broken on some episodes, since you have the Mill Creek release with both 5.1 and Stereo you can just switch to the Stereo track. 

You're going to notice a lot of new details in the background, it'll be almost like watching for the first time again. I love my Bluray Miami Vice. :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

didn't know about these. this is what i like with the 80s. even 40 years later, there are still things yet to be discovered

If you have the DVD releases, you should have these "lost episodes", basically they were never originally aired on NBC because apparently it was too graphic, or maybe in reality they just wanted to end Miami Vice sooner. USA network picked it up and aired these unaired episodes in 1990. And they've been on every DVD release. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

i don't think i have them. but i'll check the bonuses. maybe they put them there. Thx! i have that collection

xLCEK7y.jpg

Hot damn! That's a nice looking collection my dude! I dig it haha (cute Testarossa on top too)

55 minutes ago, James said:

Nice, pal! Enjoy them!

If they're freshly printed you should have the fixed episodes, but if the 5.1 audio track is still broken on some episodes, since you have the Mill Creek release with both 5.1 and Stereo you can just switch to the Stereo track. 

You're going to notice a lot of new details in the background, it'll be almost like watching for the first time again. I love my Bluray Miami Vice. :thumbsup: 

Thanks yo, I'm lovin this already! Just put on Heart of Darkness out of random to see how it faired and was blown away by the quality of it! I'm quite satisfied with this! I haven't had audio issues yet, though maybe the music tends to fade away a bit much while someone is talking or whatnot but apart from that, this is solid. Got my money's worth for sure, can't wait to marathon this!

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Assasinge said:

Thanks yo, I'm lovin this already! Just put on Heart of Darkness out of random to see how it faired and was blown away by the quality of it! I'm quite satisfied with this! I haven't had audio issues yet, though maybe the music tends to fade away a bit much while someone is talking or whatnot but apart from that, this is solid. Got my money's worth for sure, can't wait to marathon this!

Heart of Darkness' audio problems in the 5.1 audio is echoing voices. Like the audio tracks are overlayed, they put the speech in two channels and one of the channels is slightly out of sync. If you don't have that issue on the 5.1 surround sound track, then you might have the fixed discs. 

Heart of Darkness looks great, but it isn't even the best quality compared to other episodes. The Hit List and Calderone's Return look great, so does One Eyed Jack. Prepare to be more blown away. :thumbsup:

• Administrators
2 hours ago, jpm1 said:

i don't think i have them. but i'll check the bonuses. maybe they put them there. Thx! i have that collection

xLCEK7y.jpg

I think on the DVD's they put them just before Freefall, not in bonuses or anything. Depending on which DVD's you have, maybe the old first run of DVD's don't but the later DVD's do. 

I'm certain that releases in the mid-2000s and beyond have them. 

• Like 1

Blu-ray's picture is noticeably desaturated I'm guessing due to the film's age, so if you can adjust the saturation on your player I'd suggest turning up the color by 10-20%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark Zubenko said:

Blu-ray's picture is noticeably desaturated I'm guessing due to the film's age, so if you can adjust the saturation on your player I'd suggest turning up the color by 10-20%.

Ah...that's a good tip. I'll try that, something did feel off about the saturation of the image vs. what I've been seeing lol

7 hours ago, James said:

Heart of Darkness' audio problems in the 5.1 audio is echoing voices. Like the audio tracks are overlayed, they put the speech in two channels and one of the channels is slightly out of sync. If you don't have that issue on the 5.1 surround sound track, then you might have the fixed discs. 

Heart of Darkness looks great, but it isn't even the best quality compared to other episodes. The Hit List and Calderone's Return look great, so does One Eyed Jack. Prepare to be more blown away. :thumbsup:

Seems like that explains the odd audio dialogue at times then. Haha yeah, I need to get around to marathoning the whole series in Blu Ray sometime after i get back from a trip the week after, I simply cannot wait!

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Mark Zubenko said:

Also playing with the contrast can get rid of that "faded" look and bring some blacks back into it. I have the "Fabulous Films" release and they adjusted the colour and contrast to make it look better, but unfortunately they added a bit too much. 

Unfortunately the soft pinks are actually gone, fully faded from the film itself and unrecoverable with any method I've tried. Castranova in The Hit List, looks like he's wearing a white shirt but it was actually a very light pink according to the VHS recordings of the original broadcast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 7/20/2018 at 10:55 PM, James said:

Nice, pal! Enjoy them!

Duuuuuuuuude you were right! It's like seeing Vice for the first time all over again! I just watched Brother's Keeper and was absolutely blown away the way I was the first time I saw it! And good God, the In the air tonight scene!!! In HD!!!' AHHHHHH this is too much, I was sitting there for a while after it ended to make sure it was all real haha

Edited by Assasinge
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Duuuuuuuuude you were right! It's like seeing Vice for the first time all over again! I just watched Brother's Keeper and was absolutely blown away the way I was the first time I saw it! And good God, the In the air tonight scene!!! In HD!!!' AHHHHHH this is too much, I was sitting there for a while after it ended to make sure it was all real haha

Yeah exactly! I was blown away by the quality the first time I saw the remastered version. I still get amazed sometimes during my third watch-through, still being amazed by the quality and noticing new details. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kladdagh said:

I wonder how many discs are on this package ??? 

Well I believe each case (seasons 1-5) each have 4 discs each, so that should total to 20 discs.

Congrats, @Assasinge on your new acquisition! :thumbsup:

I remember when I had upgraded MV on Blu-ray and was absolutely blow away by the way it looked and sounded remastered in HD. I had previously owned the original 2005 Universal DVD sets, then I had gotten the Mill Creek DVD's to check them out before they announced the box set. I had been on the fence about getting it because of the aforementioned problems, but I got them anyway to see how they fared on Blu-ray. I watch them every once in a while as I usually prefer to watch my old DVD's instead. I fortunately received the set with the fixed audio and I've had one very noticeable problem with the set so far. Overall, it's a pretty cool box set with great artwork of the box and the cases themselves. It's even cooler to have on a shelf with the spines facing outwards. :fireworks: ;) 

Edited by Retro80sfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Retro80sfan said:

Congrats, @Assasinge on your new acquisition! :thumbsup:

I remember when I had upgraded MV on Blu-ray and was absolutely blow away by the way it looked and sounded remastered in HD. I had previously owned the original 2005 Universal DVD sets, then I had gotten the Mill Creek DVD's to check them out before they announced the box set. I had been on the fence about getting it because of the aforementioned problems, but I got them anyway to see how they fared on Blu-ray. I watch them every once in a while as I usually prefer to watch my old DVD's instead. I fortunately received the set with the fixed audio and I've had one very noticeable problem with the set so far. Overall, it's a pretty cool box set with great artwork of the box and the cases themselves. It's even cooler to have on a shelf with the spines facing outwards. :fireworks: ;) 

Haha thanks man! I agree, it's a nice set overall with its designs and everything, and having the spines facing outward on my shelf showing off its glam! Added it next to my Magnum P.I. and Knight Rider sets and it looks fabulous. The holy trilogy is complete for my shelf there lol

• Like 2