Kicking Back 80's Style

Mark Zubenko

Got myself a fresh pack of Luckies and an 80's style Pepsi can, having a fine evening :rauchen:

IMG_4948.thumb.jpg.48bbec7be817e98d70e4962fc3c4eaef.jpg

And which items do you fellow fans use besides music and the series in order to "time travel"?

Edited by Mark Zubenko
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mark Zubenko said:

Got myself a fresh pack of Luckies and an 80's style Pepsi can, having a fine evening :rauchen:

IMG_4948.thumb.jpg.48bbec7be817e98d70e4962fc3c4eaef.jpg

And which items do you fellow fans use besides music and the series in order to "time travel"?

Just great and the lighting!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, James said:

A E S T H E T I C

I hope those Luckies are unfiltered. :thumbsup:

Wouldn't have it any other way, pal!

3 hours ago, jpm1 said:

did Pepsi make a kind of reedition of their cans? or is it really something you purchased to Marthy Mc Fly :)

Yes they did, a whole bunch of decades actually, but my favorite ones are from 80's, 90's and early 2000's, I swear having them in my sight feels like getting back home... can't stand anything designed after 2005 :p

• Like 1

16 hours ago, summer84 said:

Just the series and music. Oh and my hair. It's very 80s, when I blow-dry it. :)

Just great :hippie:

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

So cool dude - where did you get all these items @Mark Zubenko 

Just googling around, the cigarettes are a bit tough to come by, I once even asked a friend traveling to NYC to bring me back a block of unfiltered Luckies and she couldn't find any, but anything's possible for the right price!

4 minutes ago, Mark Zubenko said:

Just googling around, the cigarettes are a bit tough to come by, I once even asked a friend traveling to NYC to bring me back a block of unfiltered Luckies and she couldn't find any, but anything's possible for the right price!

Of course! The Luckies In particular I can believe were tough to get hold of! But well done dude 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Zubenko said:

Yes they did, a whole bunch of decades actually, but my favorite ones are from 80's, 90's and early 2000's, I swear having them in my sight feels like getting back home... can't stand anything designed after 2005 :p

great initiative from Pepsi

Where could I get a pack of Lucky Strikes living in Minnesota, United States? They seem extremely difficult to find anywhere.

Also, ugh. That reminds me of the gold zippo I somehow lost. That thing was class.

32 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

Where could I get a pack of Lucky Strikes living in Minnesota, United States? They seem extremely difficult to find anywhere.

Also, ugh. That reminds me of the gold zippo I somehow lost. That thing was class.

How about this website? https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Lucky-Strike-Non-Filter%2c-Soft-Pack.product.10182648.html

I'm not from the US, unfortunately, so I wouldn't know. But have you tried asking local shops? Maybe try some tobacco forums, that could help.

When I was still a smoker (been clean for over six years now without a single drag :cool: ), I also smoked Lucky Strike. Kind of also because that's what Crockett smoked. They were my favorite brand throughout my smoking career. Still glad though that I'm off those things, and hopefully for good... :p

The only thing that was notoriously hard to find here in Europe were Lucky Strike soft packs like in the picture above. Or really soft packs of any cigarette brand. Sometimes, you could get them in Spain or France, but they were still rare.

I also still have two pairs of tortoise shell Ray-Ban Wayfarers from 20 years ago. The first pair was so worn and scratched at some point that I got another one. I don't wear them a lot nowadays, only when I've misplaced my other vintage pair of sunglasses, which are black Ray-Ban Predator Cutters Rectangular Wrap, model no. RB2046 W3184.

Edited by Daytona74

19 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

When I was still a smoker (been clean for over six years now without a single drag :cool: ), I also smoked Lucky Strike. Kind of also because that's what Crockett smoked. They were my favorite brand throughout my smoking career. Still glad though that I'm off those things, and hopefully for good... :p

The only thing that was notoriously hard to find here in Europe were Lucky Strike soft packs like in the picture above. Or really soft packs of any cigarette brand. Sometimes, you could get them in Spain or France, but they were still rare.

I also still have two pairs of tortoise shell Ray-Ban Wayfarers from 20 years ago. The first pair was so worn and scratched at some point that I got another one. I don't wear them a lot nowadays, only when I've misplaced my other vintage pair of sunglasses, which are black Ray-Ban Predator Cutters Rectangular Wrap, model no. RB2046 W3184.

Nice job mate, I'm not a regular smoker myself but never been quite off the hook either. The way I see it though is that I smoke less than some actors that have to in order to portray a certain role, and I always end up telling myself how bad could a few packs a year be anyway? Hope I won't find out someday...  :sick:

Edited by Mark Zubenko

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Mark Zubenko:

Nice job mate, I'm not a regular smoker myself but never been quite off the hook either. The way I see it though is that I smoke less than some actors that have to in order to portray a certain role, and I always end up telling myself how bad could a few packs a year be anyway? Hope I won't find out someday...  :sick:

Well I was starting to see what smoking had been doing to people in my parents' generation, some of whom had smoked 30 or 40 years. They were beginning to die of lung cancer, heart attacks, the whole what-have-you. And I realized that if I didn't quit, I was going to end up just like them. So I did, from one day to the next, and with the strong desire to never, not even once, light up a cigarette again. As somebody who smoked well over a pack of Lucky Strikes a day towards the end, I'm not like some former smokers who can't tolerate the presence of a smoker around them anymore. One whiff of smoke from a friend smoking a cigarette next to me isn't going to do all that much more damage to me, if any. But I can proudly say that I haven't smoked one single cigarette in going on six and a half years. And that's what matters to me. :wuerg:

Getting back to living the style - at the moment, I really enjoy taking my little old convertible through downtown in the evening for a spin now and then (I live in a major city), with the top down, listening to some classic Jan Hammer or any S1 or S2 songs. Especially now that Germany has been experiencing a near tropical heatwave for weeks, often with over 80°F still at 10 pm, it is just an awesome feeling to soak up the whole atmosphere of people sitting out in sidewalk cafés at night while you're slowly going by listening to Jan Hammer's "Evan" or Bryan Ferry's "Boys and Girls"... :thumbsup:

oh, and the convertible itself was a reward I gave myself for managing to quit smoking... it's also an incentive to keep staying away from cigarettes, because I can only afford the convertible OR a smoking habit... not both at the same time... :)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Well I was starting to see what smoking had been doing to people in my parents' generation, some of whom had smoked 30 or 40 years. They were beginning to die of lung cancer, heart attacks, the whole what-have-you. And I realized that if I didn't quit, I was going to end up just like them. So I did, from one day to the next, and with the strong desire to never, not even once, light up a cigarette again. As somebody who smoked well over a pack of Lucky Strikes a day towards the end, I'm not like some former smokers who can't tolerate the presence of a smoker around them anymore. One whiff of smoke from a friend smoking a cigarette next to me isn't going to do all that much more damage to me, if any. But I can proudly say that I haven't smoked one single cigarette in going on six and a half years. And that's what matters to me. :wuerg:

Getting back to living the style - at the moment, I really enjoy taking my little convertible through downtown in the evening for a spin now and then (I live in a major city), with the top down, listening to some classic Jan Hammer or any S1 or S2 songs. Especially now that Germany has been experiencing a near tropical heatwave for weeks, often with over 80°F still at 10 pm, it is just an awesome feeling to soak up the whole atmosphere of people sitting out in sidewalk cafés at night while you're slowly going by listening to Jan Hammer's "Evan" or Bryan Ferry's "Boys and Girls"... :thumbsup:

Good for you Daytona!  I lost my father  a couple of years ago due to a lifetime of smoking.  It wasn't pretty in the end, but perhaps oddly to many, I actually have some very positive memories from my childhood associated with my father's smoking.  I used to hang around with him all the time in the workshop he built behind our garage.  It was filled with smoke, but also filled with memories for me.  He taught me so much.  When I smell cigarette smoke today, and that's not too often as smoking has fortunately declined significantly, I think nostalgically of those times. 

Also getting back to living the style, I sooooo hear you on top down driving through the city.  Just yesterday my wife and I drove to lunch in our convertible playing some 80's music by artists  we had just heard at a concert in LA the night before.  People were out and about at the shops and restaurants as we cruised through our hometown of Long Beach.  The high-rises by the coast here have a distinctly Miami vibe, and it's been warm lately, as usual, but much more humid than the norm, again like Miami.  The whole atmosphere is indeed as you said, "just an awesome feeling".  :thumbsup:      We're lucky to be able to do this frequently, and just about year round because of climate.

• Like 2

My wife and I were in Vegas a few days ago celebrating her birthday.  I had to wear my favorite white blazer and pink henley.  Just had too.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pahonu said:

Also getting back to living the style, I sooooo hear you on top down driving through the city.  Just yesterday my wife and I drove to lunch in our convertible playing some 80's music by artists  we had just heard at a concert in LA the night before.  People were out and about at the shops and restaurants as we cruised through our hometown of Long Beach.  The high-rises by the coast here have a distinctly Miami vibe, and it's been warm lately, as usual, but much more humid than the norm, again like Miami.  The whole atmosphere is indeed as you said, "just an awesome feeling".  :thumbsup:      We're lucky to be able to do this frequently, and just about year round because of climate.

this is why i own scooters for more than 10 years now. cruising without glasses around you is something totally different. each time i take my scooter even for a small thing, i have the feeling i'm going on a journey.

concerning cigarettes yeah i didn't dare saying anything. but i'm cig free for more than 20 years now, and it feels much better without it. been lucky though. been in the hospital when i was 20, and couldn't smoke for 15 days. when exiting the hospital i didn't had any cigarette desire anymore VaAWvh6.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

My wife and I were in Vegas a few days ago celebrating her birthday.  I had to wear my favorite white blazer and pink henley.  Just had too.  

That’s great - what an outfit !

22 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

this is why i own scooters for more than 10 years now. cruising without glasses around you is something totally different. each time i take my scooter even for a small thing, i have the feeling i'm going on a journey.

concerning cigarettes yeah i didn't dare saying anything. but i'm cig free for more than 20 years now, and it feels much better without it. been lucky though. been in the hospital when i was 20, and couldn't smoke for 15 days. when exiting the hospital i didn't had any cigarette desire anymore VaAWvh6.gif

Well done! 20 years is great - glad you feel much better without it, many people say the same.:hippie: