Kicking Back 80's Style

Mark Zubenko

59 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

said 20 years ,but wouldn't go back to it, even if you pay me 1 million. i'm serious

2 million?:)

I think the way that smoking was celebrated so liberally in early MV episodes was also emblematic of the 80s. A "tough guy" like Crockett who was rolling with all the sleazeballs of organized crime simply had to smoke, it was just an indispensable facet of a character like that. And the fact that he was shown quitting in later episodes was also so 80s, because it was really becoming noticeable by the late 80s that the tide was turning against smoking as such.

Here in Europe, we were a little late with smoking bans and all that. When I was still in secondary school up until the early to mid-90s, there was a smokers corner for students (smoking used to be legal here from age 16) which was condoned by the school's faculty, to the point that they only kept an eye on it to ensure that no kids under 16 were seen there hanging out with the older students. And the teachers had a special smoking room. It kind of blows your mind today to think about it; we've now had a state law in effect for about twelve to fifteen years that prohibits any and all smoking on school property, even if you're 18, which is the minimum age now.

I kind of also almost want to say I look back fondly on my smoking days; there was just something about sitting together with people in dark, smoke filled dilapidated bars, classic rock playing in the background, drinking round after round of shots till sunrise and just partying the night away, and in the process burning through half a pack of cigarettes each... kind of like Crockett did, when you think about it... minus the pastels... :)

On the other hand, I'm getting to be the kind of age where that wouldn't be droll anymore, but really kind of sad... :p

Not to mention that you just don't bounce back from a night like that anymore like you used to 20 years ago...

Edited by Daytona74

On 7/27/2018 at 9:38 PM, Mark Zubenko said:

Got myself a fresh pack of Luckies and an 80's style Pepsi can, having a fine evening :rauchen:

IMG_4948.thumb.jpg.48bbec7be817e98d70e4962fc3c4eaef.jpg

And which items do you fellow fans use besides music and the series in order to "time travel"?

The lighting is fantastic how did you do it ?

4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

The lighting is fantastic how did you do it ?

Couldn't be more simple, turn off the lights, fullscreen photoshop, couple clicks with the paint bucket and voila! :)

• Haha 2

Speaking of lights and 80s style, I’ll repost these season 3 looks I was trying the other night in case anyone missed them :) 

edit: oops wrong thread. I didn’t mean to hijack this thread. Sorry. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Speaking of lights and 80s style, I’ll repost these season 3 looks I was trying the other night in case anyone missed them :) 

3A06D1E9-4260-4C6E-B7FF-1DD7749A47EA.jpeg

33019642-75F4-42D0-9CB2-7E2C95771EDF.jpeg

Nice! ;) :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, Dadrian said:

edit: oops wrong thread. I didn’t mean to hijack this thread. Sorry. 

That's alright, this thread is about whatever you want it to be! Those pics seem to be gone though.

30 minutes ago, Mark Zubenko said:

That's alright, this thread is about whatever you want it to be! Those pics seem to be gone though.

I took them down for redundancy/not related your post enough. You can see them here, though:

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 2:34 PM, Mark Zubenko said:

How about this website? https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Lucky-Strike-Non-Filter%2c-Soft-Pack.product.10182648.html

I'm not from the US, unfortunately, so I wouldn't know. But have you tried asking local shops? Maybe try some tobacco forums, that could help.

Just to give an update - I asked my local tobacco shop about Luckies and he said he knew the brand and he would order a carton for me and they'll be here on Friday. I won't be buying the whole carton at once, just a pack at a time, and I use them pretty sparsely. I consider myself a casual smoker - I'll smoke if someone offers me a cigarette or if I go out then I sometimes buy a pack, it just goes great when the drinks flow. I've been doing much less of both lately though, I'm working on improving my life too hard to have time for those things. But it is a nice treat when you have some time to burn.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pmconroy said:

Just to give an update - I asked my local tobacco shop about Luckies and he said he knew the brand and he would order a carton for me and they'll be here on Friday. I won't be buying the whole carton at once, just a pack at a time, and I use them pretty sparsely. I consider myself a casual smoker - I'll smoke if someone offers me a cigarette or if I go out then I sometimes buy a pack, it just goes great when the drinks flow. I've been doing much less of both lately though, I'm working on improving my life too hard to have time for those things. But it is a nice treat when you have some time to burn.

Great they can get them in for you!

On 7/31/2018 at 10:34 PM, Mark Zubenko said:

Couldn't be more simple, turn off the lights, fullscreen photoshop, couple clicks with the paint bucket and voila! :)

Really cool!:hippie:

• Thanks 1