Some sad and touching moments to remember

Sea-light

This is very good. Personally, I think the most touching moments, in no particular order, are:

• "Evan" ending scene
  • Crockett being in the hospital after getting shot
  • Crockett's confrontation with Tubbs after waking from his amnesia when he shot Tubbs
  • Switek finding Zito dead and Zito's funeral
  • Tubbs' family being killed and funeral set to the tune of Phil Collins' "Long, Long Way to Go" (a very dark ending to the second season, a sign of things to come)
  • The farewell scene in "Freefall"

For some reason, I think my neighbors always happen to be cutting onions whenever I see the ending of Freefall. It's a strange coincidence.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

This is very good. Personally, I think the most touching moments, in no particular order, are:

• "Evan" ending scene
  • Crockett's confrontation with Tubbs after waking from his amnesia when he shot Tubbs
  • Tubbs' family being killed and funeral set to the tune of Phil Collins' "Long, Long Way to Go" (a very dark ending to the second season, a sign of things to come)

For some reason, I think my neighbors always happen to be cutting onions whenever I see the ending of Freefall. It's a strange coincidence.

Yeah. All this  and :

Tubbs and Sonny in a hospital after Legba drugged Rico; "Baby blues"-the final, when Mom runs away crying and Rico and Sonny watching this(when I watched this first time, I waited for Tubbs will find his son there)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

• "Evan" ending scene

Maybe here too 

I generally tend to avoid sad and depressing things, but if I should mention some moments

I'd also say the ending of "FreeFall" is really sad and makes me teary-eyed. 

Also the scene in "Bought and Paid For", when Gina discovers, that Odette has killed herself and the song "Cold wind blow" is playing.

In "Sons and Lovers" when the car Angelina sits in blows up. And the shocking and devastating look on Tubbs face as he witnesses it and following scene with Phil Collins song "Long, Long way to go" is playing. So tragic...

"Baby Blues" ending is really sad, makes you wanna cry. 

In "The Good Collar", when Archie is shot and Crockett's heartbreaking reaction thereafter.  

Edited by summer84
  • Like 3

Also emotional for me are Sonny's memories coming back in Redemption in Blood as he walks into the OCB and gets drawn on.  The idea that it isn't the same world he left behind even though it's new to him again.  Gabrie'ls Don't Give Up enhances it too.

• Like 4

Also Sonny's breakdown in Castillo's office in Child's Play.  It's one the best moments for both DJ and EJO imo.  And Rico breaking the news that Caitlin was pregnant when she was killed.  Imagine being in Rico's position in that scene.  DJ also nails it without saying a word.

• Like 3

A couple others spring to mind. (MV is full of these after all)

The end of Milk Run-"Yeah, let's get the car"

Sonny's phone call in Rite of Passage (What Love Is)

The sympathetic look between Sonny and Gina at the end of Give a Little

Sonny at the boys bedside in Child's Play-to me very remniscient of Rico and Trudy at the end of MV 2006

• Like 3

I'd have to say the saddest moment for me was when Zito was killed.  I remember watching that scene and was so shocked, especially Switek's expression when he looks around the corner and sees him.  Just devastating.

Also, another scene that is so sad to me...when it shows Sonny walking down that hill after he shoots Hackman.  The way he's leaning to the left and looks so emotionally drained really makes me sad.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Besides all this, for me the heartbreaking also is: in Freefall- Rico and Sonny's last  talk in OSB before they go, when Rico looks very sad and it seems he is in desperationafter all, fearing the worst about himself. 

And the end "We did the hell run, didn't we, partner?"(smth like it) And their looks.. :(

IMG_20180919_044554.png

IMG_20180919_044608.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sea-light said:

And in Tale of a goat, when Sonny finds Rico in a pool and when he tries to sooth him in a hospital are also very touching moments

That one is an image that has stuck with me from the show, even though that ep isn't that highly regarded by many.  Clarence Williams was an absolute beast of an actor and doesn't get the credit he should.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2018 at 6:10 PM, Bren10 said:

Also Sonny's breakdown in Castillo's office in Child's Play.  It's one the best moments for both DJ and EJO imo.  And Rico breaking the news that Caitlin was pregnant when she was killed.  Imagine being in Rico's position in that scene.  DJ also nails it without saying a word.

Ditto to that. I just watched that episode recently and I thought the acting in that scene was fantastic and the emotion DJ portrayed felt so real and raw. Castillo’s firmness in stating that he had to live with the consequences of his actions and he couldn’t unpull the trigger was also great. Just an awesome piece of acting between the two. Goes to show that season 4 gets a worse rap than it sometimes deserve.

Also, I agree with the guns being drawn on Crockett as he steps in the OCB is kind of an emotional and heartbreaking moment; the people that worked with him for so many years no longer trusted him. Also, later, when Switek is booking Crockett, it’s sad how Switek won’t even make conversation with Crockett. “Just doing my job, Sonny.” What a heartbreaking feeling for an old friend to turn his back on you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pmconroy said:

Ditto to that. I just watched that episode recently and I thought the acting in that scene was fantastic and the emotion DJ portrayed felt so real and raw. Castillo’s firmness in stating that he had to live with the consequences of his actions and he couldn’t unpull the trigger was also great. Just an awesome piece of acting between the two. Goes to show that season 4 gets a worse rap than it sometimes deserve.

Also, I agree with the guns being drawn on Crockett as he steps in the OCB is kind of an emotional and heartbreaking moment; the people that worked with him for so many years no longer trusted him. Also, later, when Switek is booking Crockett, it’s sad how Switek won’t even make conversation with Crockett. “Just doing my job, Sonny.” What a heartbreaking feeling for an old friend to turn his back on you.

It's easy to miss, but when Castillo tells Crockett there are people that care about him including himself, then Sonny's eyes come up-that is a huge moment.  A sudden, unexpected admission that gets Sonny's attention.  It's made special because Castillo doesn't say things like this.  And he remains stoic.  He doesn't shout Crockett down like any other Lt/Cpt/Chief would.  He lets Sonny get it all out of his system and his calm reply hits harder than bombs.  That scene alone demonstrates why it was fate that Gregory Sierra had to go.

Edited by Bren10
Spelling
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Bren10 said:

It's easy to miss, but when Castillo tells Crockett there are people that care about him including himself, then Sonny's eyes come up-that is a huge moment.  A sudden, unexpected admission that gets Sonny's attention.  It's made special because Castillo doesn't say things like this.  And he remains stoic.  He doesn't shout Crockett down like any other Lt/Cpt/Chief would.  He lets Sonny get it all out of his system and his calm reply hits harder than bombs.  That scene alone demonstrates why it was fate that Gregory Sierra had to go.

Oh yes, that was a big part of it that I forgot to mention. I love that element of Castillo's character, that he is so stone-cold yet cares about his colleagues deeply. You're right that Gregory Sierra wouldn't have worked and it's a good thing they nixed him early on. It was things like Castillo's calm, cool and collected manner that made him such a good cop and an innovative character, instead of just being the hotheaded, cigar-chomping police chief of the typical cop show of the '70s and earlier. Just an example of what Miami Vice special and different from the rest.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

Oh yes, that was a big part of it that I forgot to mention. I love that element of Castillo's character, that he is so stone-cold yet cares about his colleagues deeply. You're right that Gregory Sierra wouldn't have worked and it's a good thing they nixed him early on. It was things like Castillo's calm, cool and collected manner that made him such a good cop and an innovative character, instead of just being the hotheaded, cigar-chomping police chief of the typical cop show of the '70s and earlier. Just an example of what Miami Vice special and different from the rest.

Miami vice is a fantastic show because of not typical charakters - they broke the old sistem. Espesially if we know, that PMT was not taken firstly and was waiting the elevator to leave the set(read it in "The making of MV"), but smb stopped him and invited to read with Don. They did it without any repetition and  blew up the set. 

Edited by Sea-light

On 9/20/2018 at 3:00 PM, Matt5 said:

The sadness in the goodbye "Freefall" was very well done.

Maybe they weren’t acting - they were bidding farewell to Vice forever, and little did they know, their one big break.

• Like 1

End of summer 1984 my then GF and I were about at the end of our relationship. We had a trip planned for October, she had a couple of days of work and the remainder was to be no work, only time together, it was supposed to be our rekindling, it was the swan song as she worked every day. Shortly after we got back she moved out and I rented out the house that my Uncle gave me and bought a condo near the beach to just kind of hang out, chill out and move forward with my life. Right after Christmas I placed an ad in the paper for a roommate and a guy I knew in HS answered. He moved in that week and the following week we had some friends over on a Friday night. One of his friends, “Jr”, was a recently divorced guy who had just went through some family tragedy. His uncle had recently died on a construction site where he was working at the time.

I was talking to a girl in the kitchen, when her friend walked in with Jr in tow. Just before 10PM I excused myself and told the girl I was talking to I was going to watch a TV show downstairs. I flicked on the TV and started watching. Jr came downstairs and was telling me the girls wanted to go out, just the 4 of us. I said after the show. He started to complain, I told him just go. He left, then after a few minutes came back and asked what show was so important. I pointed at the TV and said "that". He then started watching and voile he was hooked. The girls bailed. The episode was No Exit.

I was the laid back, easy going, long light brown hair, shorts and t-shirt wearing former hockey player. He was the blond short hair, always dressed up, pressed pant, ironed collared shirt guy who worked for his dad’s business in the city. Everything where he lived was better than the beach area where I lived. He was old school rock and roll, I was a new wave fan. We could not have been more different and from different backgrounds.

My HS friend ended up moving out a few weeks later. Jr moved in and for the next 4/4-1/2 years we were inseparable, we shared the up’s downs, tragedy, when he is dad lost the business I paid all the rent and expenses until he got back on his feet. One October I broke my foot playing hockey, he rented a wheelchair so he could wheel me around the Octoberfest that year. If one of us met a girl the other always insisted she invite a friend for the other one. If one was down, the other always picked the other up.  We would tape  Miami Vice on Friday night, then watch it Saturday morning before heading out on Saturday to try to buy the same clothes Sonny and Rico had on the night before.

Over the course of living together we had girlfriends, some good and some bad, I even reconciled with the EX GF attorney for a while, he with his ex-wife. But no matter the situation that popped up, we had each others back and supported each other regardless and no one came between us. Feb 1989 I got engaged, March 1989 he got engaged. I had sold the condo and my finance and I bought a home together. He was moving out of state to the East coast later that year, but was going to live with the his finance locally until her job started.

Since we both shared in the expense of the furniture over time and our finance’s wanted no part of the bachelor furniture we made a deal with the association manager. For $200.00 he could have all the furniture, beds, tables and chairs. He agreed if we tossed in the big TV. So we made the deal. For $300-bucks he would buy all the furniture, I gave him a key to move the stuff out. Then on Monday May 22, I would meet the real estate folks and turn over the keys.

Since my buddy wasn’t leaving for a few weeks there was no big teary-eyed goodbyes. We all went out to dinner on Friday night, then Saturday morning he calls. The her new job wanted her ASAP and if she didn’t show up for work on May 30, 1989, she was not needed. They were packing and leaving in a U-Haul Monday the 22nd. We were receiving a bunch of new furniture on that Saturday and Sunday. We decided it would be better just to take care of what we had to and make plans down the road.

Around 2PM on Sunday night I get a call from the new buyers real estate agent, the painter swung by on Sunday to drop off his stuff and seen furniture in the condo. The association manager didn’t take the stuff, he tried to have a yard sale and what didn’t sell, he just left in the condo. So I called my buddy told him what happened and we made plans that I would pick him up about 6PM. We were going to just toss the stuff in the back of my truck and dump it in the construction dumpster down the street from the condo complex when it got dark and be home by 9. As things go, I didn’t make it to his place until 8PM. When we got to the condo just about everything was gone except the old big screen TV, a beat up old couch, 2 recliners and kitchen chairs and table. Just due to habit I turned on the TV and some local stations still worked. We loaded up the furniture for trip 1.

It was about 8:45 when I stopped for some beer and when we decided to watch some of Freefall then load the TV and kitchen chairs. Well we ended up watching the entire episode. We loaded up the TV and the chairs. We tossed the stuff into the dumpster and when we tossed the TV, the last item we shared as roommates we sort of just looked at each other. We hugged, with tears flowing. All the emotion that we shared together just came out. As I dropped him off, we shook hands and that was that.

It was a friendship I never had before and have never had since and every time I see the ending of Freefall, I always remember the time at the dumpster. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, king77 said:

End of summer 1984 my then GF and I were about at the end of our relationship. We had a trip planned for October, she had a couple of days of work and the remainder was to be no work, only time together, it was supposed to be our rekindling, it was the swan song as she worked every day. Shortly after we got back she moved out and I rented out the house that my Uncle gave me and bought a condo near the beach to just kind of hang out, chill out and move forward with my life. Right after Christmas I placed an ad in the paper for a roommate and a guy I knew in HS answered. He moved in that week and the following week we had some friends over on a Friday night. One of his friends, “Jr”, was a recently divorced guy who had just went through some family tragedy. His uncle had recently died on a construction site where he was working at the time.

I was talking to a girl in the kitchen, when her friend walked in with Jr in tow. Just before 10PM I excused myself and told the girl I was talking to I was going to watch a TV show downstairs. I flicked on the TV and started watching. Jr came downstairs and was telling me the girls wanted to go out, just the 4 of us. I said after the show. He started to complain, I told him just go. He left, then after a few minutes came back and asked what show was so important. I pointed at the TV and said "that". He then started watching and voile he was hooked. The girls bailed. The episode was No Exit.

I was the laid back, easy going, long light brown hair, shorts and t-shirt wearing former hockey player. He was the blond short hair, always dressed up, pressed pant, ironed collared shirt guy who worked for his dad’s business in the city. Everything where he lived was better than the beach area where I lived. He was old school rock and roll, I was a new wave fan. We could not have been more different and from different backgrounds.

My HS friend ended up moving out a few weeks later. Jr moved in and for the next 4/4-1/2 years we were inseparable, we shared the up’s downs, tragedy, when he is dad lost the business I paid all the rent and expenses until he got back on his feet. One October I broke my foot playing hockey, he rented a wheelchair so he could wheel me around the Octoberfest that year. If one of us met a girl the other always insisted she invite a friend for the other one. If one was down, the other always picked the other up.  We would tape  Miami Vice on Friday night, then watch it Saturday morning before heading out on Saturday to try to buy the same clothes Sonny and Rico had on the night before.

Over the course of living together we had girlfriends, some good and some bad, I even reconciled with the EX GF attorney for a while, he with his ex-wife. But no matter the situation that popped up, we had each others back and supported each other regardless and no one came between us. Feb 1989 I got engaged, March 1989 he got engaged. I had sold the condo and my finance and I bought a home together. He was moving out of state to the East coast later that year, but was going to live with the his finance locally until her job started.

Since we both shared in the expense of the furniture over time and our finance’s wanted no part of the bachelor furniture we made a deal with the association manager. For $200.00 he could have all the furniture, beds, tables and chairs. He agreed if we tossed in the big TV. So we made the deal. For $300-bucks he would buy all the furniture, I gave him a key to move the stuff out. Then on Monday May 22, I would meet the real estate folks and turn over the keys.

Since my buddy wasn’t leaving for a few weeks there was no big teary-eyed goodbyes. We all went out to dinner on Friday night, then Saturday morning he calls. The her new job wanted her ASAP and if she didn’t show up for work on May 30, 1989, she was not needed. They were packing and leaving in a U-Haul Monday the 22nd. We were receiving a bunch of new furniture on that Saturday and Sunday. We decided it would be better just to take care of what we had to and make plans down the road.

Around 2PM on Sunday night I get a call from the new buyers real estate agent, the painter swung by on Sunday to drop off his stuff and seen furniture in the condo. The association manager didn’t take the stuff, he tried to have a yard sale and what didn’t sell, he just left in the condo. So I called my buddy told him what happened and we made plans that I would pick him up about 6PM. We were going to just toss the stuff in the back of my truck and dump it in the construction dumpster down the street from the condo complex when it got dark and be home by 9. As things go, I didn’t make it to his place until 8PM. When we got to the condo just about everything was gone except the old big screen TV, a beat up old couch, 2 recliners and kitchen chairs and table. Just due to habit I turned on the TV and some local stations still worked. We loaded up the furniture for trip 1.

It was about 8:45 when I stopped for some beer and when we decided to watch some of Freefall then load the TV and kitchen chairs. Well we ended up watching the entire episode. We loaded up the TV and the chairs. We tossed the stuff into the dumpster and when we tossed the TV, the last item we shared as roommates we sort of just looked at each other. We hugged, with tears flowing. All the emotion that we shared together just came out. As I dropped him off, we shook hands and that was that.

It was a friendship I never had before and have never had since and every time I see the ending of Freefall, I always remember the time at the dumpster. 

This was a great pleasure to read. It’s pretty cool how you basically shared a Sonny-and-Rico moment and emotional goodbye, just like the end of Freefall. It’s poetic. Also insane how your time living together almost fell perfectly in line with Miami Vice’s run, and how you would watch it together. 

Do the two of you still talk? How have the both of you done since your farewell? And who was Crockett and who was Tubbs in that situation? :D

I’m 21 and planning to move to St. Petersburg, Florida within a year or so, and I will probably end up living with a roommate. I want to spread my wings and seek new opportunities and change my life. No better place to do it than sunny, tropical South Florida.

It bothers me when people use Miami Vice as a punchline for ‘80s cheese. It’s truly a work of art and for me, it’s been what has helped get me through dark times and troubled youth and early adulthood. It was a life-changing discovery and it embodies my style, sense of music, and feels like the dream I want to live.

Thank you for sharing this story, it really is a touching one.

On 9/25/2018 at 12:02 AM, pmconroy said:

This was a great pleasure to read. It’s pretty cool how you basically shared a Sonny-and-Rico moment and emotional goodbye, just like the end of Freefall. It’s poetic. Also insane how your time living together almost fell perfectly in line with Miami Vice’s run, and how you would watch it together. 

Do the two of you still talk? How have the both of you done since your farewell? And who was Crockett and who was Tubbs in that situation? :D

I’m 21 and planning to move to St. Petersburg, Florida within a year or so, and I will probably end up living with a roommate. I want to spread my wings and seek new opportunities and change my life. No better place to do it than sunny, tropical South Florida.

It bothers me when people use Miami Vice as a punchline for ‘80s cheese. It’s truly a work of art and for me, it’s been what has helped get me through dark times and troubled youth and early adulthood. It was a life-changing discovery and it embodies my style, sense of music, and feels like the dream I want to live.

Thank you for sharing this story, it really is a touching one.

We talked from time to time until recently. He divorced and moved back to the West coast recently. We have a big reunion planned for October. 

King 77 , I just read your post and wow man that was great. In life you only come across a few really friends and now a then only one like you had. Savor the memories you to guys had and as I know Miami Vice was really more than a show for some of us.