Real cocaine cowboy girlfriend in the show

Testarossa101

42 minutes ago, simsalas said:

Thank you for your answer.

I‘m just reading the very interesting and informative book „Hotel Scarface - where Cocaine Cowboys Partied and Plotted to Control Miami“ from Roben Farzad. The Mutiny Hotel in Coconut Grove with all his different guests from good and bad is the central place in this book.

There was also a guest (probably with connections to the underworld) named Juan „Johnny“ Hernandez. And he had at least a role in the episodes „Made for Each Other“ from 1985 and as Marco in „The Fix“ from 1986.

http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Johnny_Hernandez

There’s a thread on this book here you might enjoy if you want to search for it. 

• 7 months later...

Was Jon Roberts referring to the pilot episode Brother's Keeper where Eddie and Corky have the drugs in the trunk of Corky's car and it blows up ? Saying that real drug dealers don't deal drugs out of the trunks of their cars ? I am slow sometimes..   ;-]

14 hours ago, shallowdraft said:

Was Jon Roberts referring to the pilot episode Brother's Keeper where Eddie and Corky have the drugs in the trunk of Corky's car and it blows up ? Saying that real drug dealers don't deal drugs out of the trunks of their cars ? I am slow sometimes..   ;-]

Maybe, but there were many scenes throughout the series where money/drugs were shown or said to be in car trunks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2018 at 11:33 PM, airtommy said:

Very interesting!  Is it normal for an actor with dialogue to be uncredited?

Laura.png.15afcc8498681aefa849f7634d1046a8.png

Yes it is this happens all the time I am a former actor myself

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I looked Toni Moon (Mooney) up on IMDB.com, and she has two other credits as well: 1981's "So Fine" and "Smokey and The Bandit Part 3". Seems she was doing a little acting before Vice then. I don't know, "So Fine" stars Ryan O' Neal, and I could see something shady shining his way more than PMT on Vice, and I think it's unlikely the case with him as well.

I viewed "Cocaine Cowboys" numerous times, in numerous ways (Showtime channel, Investigation Discovery, YouTube), and I believe most of what Jon Roberts says (I have heard he tended to embellish, but not so much when interviewed on the documentary), but I'm not 100% on the story with how Toni Moon got her spot on the show. I mean, judging on her scene she kind of fits right in anyway and I'm sure the show had their pick of extras from the Miami area, so no prodding was probably necessary.

This is pretty neat to find out though, since the first time I ever heard of Toni Moon was the documentary (her screentime gets cut to hardly anything in Investigation Discovery's cut), but "Whatever Works" is not one of my favorite Vice episodes (seems a bit "off" to me, and I find the title to be lazy-sounding), and even Toni Moon's line is baffling to me (yes, I understand she's probably just being flirty): I would expect to see Crockett & Tubbs in the same bar, or anywhere else, since they're partners:-).

On 10/18/2018 at 12:47 PM, miamijimf said:

"he said he met DJ at a bar and PMT was giving it the big I am .. and offended Roberts. "  This may have happened but I have my doubts.  Having been fortunate enough to have met PMT, it seems out of character for him to be bragging and offending people.  Also his reputation relates he was known to very humble and friendly when he met people face to face.

I'll have to get the book.

I have my doubts as well, miamijimf.

• Like 1

well....in the 80s if i had the success of DJ and PMT achiveved...well....ifi today im poor and im an ahole already, imagine if i would be milliardary? lol

• Haha 2

• 10 months later...

I’m finally getting around to reading the book Hotel Scarface etc by Roben Farzad.  Very interesting and informative.  He is not a historian but a journalist and his writing style is designed to be readable and entertaining.  Nevertheless he grew up in Miami and it’s obvious he put a lot of time and effort into researching the book and his reporting needs to be taken seriously.  According to the book Johnny Hernandez (mentioned in the post above with reported contacts with the Medellin Cartel) got bit parts in these two episodes because he supplied members of the Vice cast and crew with cocaine.  This is not a shock or surprise to me but, if true, it’s an aspect of the story of the filming of Miami Vice that I have not heard before.  See especially pages 193-94.  There is also an interesting opinion expressed about Don Johnson.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2021 at 11:07 PM, miamijimf said:

I’m finally getting around to reading the book Hotel Scarface etc by Roben Farzad.  Very interesting and informative.  He is not a historian but a journalist and his writing style is designed to be readable and entertaining.  Nevertheless he grew up in Miami and it’s obvious he put a lot of time and effort into researching the book and his reporting needs to be taken seriously.  According to the book Johnny Hernandez (mentioned in the post above with reported contacts with the Medellin Cartel) got bit parts in these two episodes because he supplied members of the Vice cast and crew with cocaine.  This is not a shock or surprise to me but, if true, it’s an aspect of the story of the filming of Miami Vice that I have not heard before.  See especially pages 193-94.  There is also an interesting opinion expressed about Don Johnson.

"Hernandez depicted a stolen-merchandise runner in 1985’s “Made for Each Other,”"

Hmmm...i dont remember in which part of the episode...

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 11:41 PM, Mr. Calderon said:

"Hernandez depicted a stolen-merchandise runner in 1985’s “Made for Each Other,”"

Hmmm...i dont remember in which part of the episode...

He played Costalada

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 11:23 AM, Mr. Calderon said:

Thx! ("damn, a cement truck!")

"He who hesitates...don't get any monitors". The More You Know... from Izzy!

• Haha 2

yeah it's a bit sad these 'snorkelers' didn't realize there's no clean coke. all that s.. is mixed with blood

i don't think DJ touched that cr.., nor did PMT. DJ was in a desintoxication curve, and PMT is a sane person. I hardly see him touching that s..

Edited by jpaul1

Agree that coke is mixed with blood.  I'll bet some members of the cast and crew used it or at least sampled it.  It was everywhere in those days and the temptation to at least try it out of curiosity would have been strong.  From what I know about PMT I doubt he even tried it.  Don't know about DJ.  Either way it doesn't affect my appreciation for the show.  I can separate actor's performance from their personal lives.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 11:25 AM, jpaul1 said:

true. coke traffic was actually poorly known back then. Escobar was deified back then, while it was a true sociopath

Yeah, sadly cocaine was making a lot of people happy...rich & happy (also paranoid:-(. From what I understand, coke use began as a status symbol deal and a way to amp up the party atmosphere, and I think that's another element that Vice was good at showcasing (the scene with Tubbs and Tucker Smith in 'Smuggler's Blues' comes to mind for me; plus I enjoyed that scene for that usual Tubbs flair that I enjoy so much:cool:).

2 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

ATCHOOOOOOOOO! Unfss....

Bless you, if you sneeze; hope it isn't snowing in Miami, or too many honorable thieves are running around.

• Haha 1

Yeah I heard Rick Bravo saying that there was coke everywhere on the set. 

Might sound naïve of me but I was this allowed? having a class A drug available to snort on a professional TV show set.

Were they not worried about the law? even Sgt Bob Hoelscher was there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Yeah I heard Rick Bravo saying that there was coke everywhere on the set. 

Might sound naïve of me but I was this allowed? having a class A drug available to snort on a professional TV show set.

Were they not worried about the law? even Sgt Bob Hoelscher was there.

Interesting thanks.  I only snorted it once, sneezed and blew it all away much to the displeasure of my friend (just like in the Woody Allen movie).  Nevertheless being a Miami resident when Vice was filmed I attended parties, meetings, group gatherings etc.  It was "winked at" meaning it wasn't normally used openly or acknowledged but rather snorted in semi- private places like restroom stalls, closets, bedrooms etc.  It was an "open secret."  If it was used on the Vice sets, and it probably was, this is how it was handled.  Just like today Cops were more interested in big-time dealers, distributors, and drug czars.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

coke war canno't be won. only way to win that war is to legalize it. It's not me who says it, but elite cops. And i fully agree with them. coke is highly toxic for the human body, but if we want to control it, there's no other way. everything had been tempted since the 80s, with absolutely 0 success

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Interesting thanks.  I only snorted it once, sneezed and blew it all away much to the displeasure of my friend (just like in the Woody Allen movie).  Nevertheless being a Miami resident when Vice was filmed I attended parties, meetings, group gatherings etc.  It was "winked at" meaning it wasn't normally used openly or acknowledged but rather snorted in semi- private places like restroom stalls, closets, bedrooms etc.  It was an "open secret."  If it was used on the Vice sets, and it probably was, this is how it was handled.  Just like today Cops were more interested in big-time dealers, distributors, and drug czars.

I was never interested in cocaine, especially since I'm a pretty nasually-sounding guy who talks through his nose as it is. I was mostly into vodka and, uh, medicinal marijuana:hippie:.

• Like 1