MV reboot/renion + DJ today.

S.FL84

Since John HIllerman has passed (RIP Higgins) a total MPI reboot is impossible but not only are all the original cast of MV alive they look great.  If the right people wanted it a MV 2hr reunion follow-up movie COULD be done w/ all the original cast.  Diesel's idea is great but just like the MPI reboot w/out the original cast it just won't work.  A whole series wouldn't work but as I ^ said a one-off reunion followup movie would IMO definitely work.  For damn near 70 AND all the work and "substances" DJ used during the 70's/80's I think he looks pretty good.

Opinions?

Don Johnson 1984-2018.jpg

• Like 4

i don't really understand why it should be 'original staff, or mess". i really don't understand this. while i love the original series like it was. i think that,  if there's a room for a reboot with original cast, there's also room for something new. MV, and the 80s are so great, and last so long because they created something totally new back then

IF I won the lottery I'd give a few mill to bring the original cast back together for a one-off ep..  Jeez that'd be great.  I still remember the "friday night anticipation" every week in 1984-85. It was a peek into a dark, exciting "adult" world for a rural teenager.  The music, the cars, the stars, MIAMI...everything was sooo cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be in favor of a movie with the original cast.  I think it would be great!  It would be a good way to finish up some loose ends, etc.  Plus we'd get to see what they've all been doing with their lives since 1989.  :)  

• Haha 1

As much as I'd love to see a reunion episode/movie with the original cast, I don't think it's very realistic though. Never read rumors, or even announcements about it. 

But what's the current situation about the reboot organized by Vin Diesel? Haven't read any news about it since roughly one year. Still, the odds for it going to happen shouldn't be bad. Who would you choose as the new Crockett and Tubbs? Just don't suggest Farrell and Foxx, please :p

Even freakin' DJ acknowledges the influx and effect of cocaine in Miami in the early 80's.  It reminds of what Jon Roberts said in COCAINE COWBOYS..."It built the city".  There was soooooooooooo much freakin' money it affected everything from the local dime store (remember those?) to the local janitor.  I've read of guys who were dead broke sleeping on their friends couch one month and the next owning a 250K (1980s $$) home, car and boat...All in the coke business that MV was centered around which speaks more to the effect of coke and its overall effect on popular culture in the 80's.

Edited by S.FL84

Someone REALLY needs to do a realistic COCAINE COWBOYS kinda movie to honestly show just how decadent and waaaaaaay over the top the incredible 80's were.  Too much was never enough.  I've heard of, like they say in CC's ^ people would lead regular 9-5 lives M-F then friday they'd start snorting coke, dancing and party until time to go to work on monday morning and do the whole thing over again week after week, month after month.  Music (THEN!) was so freakin good it alone could keep you going all night.  I really feel sorry for everyone who didn't get to live thru it.  God it was a helluva party. No Limits!!!

• Like 1

I live in New Orleans so Miami is only a $100 RT 1hr flight away.  We all really should get together and visit Miami and relive a little of those incredible friday nights.  Goddam it was fun!!!!!!

• Like 2

32 Freakin' yrs later and this ^ STILL rocks!  At the goddam top of his game and completely UNtouchable by anyone or anything.  Jeez what that must've felt like.  The closest anyone ever came to being Elvis Presley except EP himself.  SOOOO glad I was there and understood the relevance of it all...at least as well as any rural teenager could in 1986.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, S.FL84 said:

Even freakin' DJ acknowledges the influx and effect of cocaine in Miami in the early 80's.  It reminds of what Jon Roberts said in COCAINE COWBOYS..."It built the city".  There was soooooooooooo much freakin' money it affected everything from the local dime store (remember those?) to the local janitor.  I've read of guys who were dead broke sleeping on their friends couch one month and the next owning a 250K (1980s $$) home, car and boat...All in the coke business that MV was centered around which speaks more to the effect of coke and its overall effect on popular culture in the 80's.

may i disagree a bit with this. well even if one can't deny that without the coke traffic there probably would have been a bit less Mercos, and Lambos in the streets, and thus contributing to Miami glamour image. Miami wasn't coke. Miami was fashion. and 80s fashion was everywhere back then. there were great artists of all kind, and all origins than contributed to the 80s legend. and 99.9% of them weren't related to South American narcos (thank God). the coke underground business certainly contributed in some part to Miami development. but it isn't what made Miami, nor the 80s. i lived in Colombia during that era, and believe me narco traffic is all but fun. just to give an example there was a time back then when Pablo Escobar gave 1 million $ to any guy that will kill a Colombian cop. go in the street, spot a cop, murder him, and Escobar will give you 1M. these people were psycopaths, nasty ones. let's not forget it. the Medellin cartel made tremendous damages to Colombia. like any mafia organisation in the world. these people are Earth scum

Edited by jpm1

59 minutes ago, AzVice said:

i don't understand why people keep talking about a reunion. Rarely do such things turn out anywhere as good as the original. 

I have to agree.  The 80s ended and thus the show ended.  MV, unlike many shows, actually had a resolution (whether people liked it or not).  I could understand the desire more if MV went off the air unresolved, but it didn't.  I think some people just can't let go, and they were just unsatisfied with Freefall.  These characters were so defined by their place and time.  What good would it do to see these aged characters now?  If anyone's ever seen The Filth And The Fury Sex Pistols documentary, you notice the present day interviews are done in silouette.  That is because we are meant to remember them as they were, as part of a youthful movement and culture.  I very much equate that with Miami Vice.  It'a also a little late in the game for this.  It could come off like a bad reunion of an old rock band.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AzVice said:

i don't understand why people keep talking about a reunion. Rarely do such things turn out anywhere as good as the original. 

i'd tend a bit the same. but what is surprising, it's that DJ, interview after interview seems to believe in it. according to what he says in the two interviews i sw he would even have an idea for a reboot. and if DJ has an idea it's not me who's gonna say it won't work :)

Edited by jpm1

That's true, but I don't think DJ sees himself as the star going forward.  It would probably be a mentor thing like the Castillo role.  Even still, there's not much point in that case.  We just hand it off to the next generation and then it just becomes a cop show in Miami with millennial sensibilities.

I've always said and always will NEVER before or since has there been a TV show that was as in touch w/ what was REALLY going on in the street, in clubs, in music, fashion, cars, boats, EVERYTHING as MV.  As the old saying goes "If you weren't there, you wouldn't understand".  Jeez what a time it was!!!!

15 hours ago, jpm1 said:

may i disagree a bit with this. well even if one can't deny that without the coke traffic there probably would have been a bit less Mercos, and Lambos in the streets, and thus contributing to Miami glamour image. Miami wasn't coke. Miami was fashion. and 80s fashion was everywhere back then. there were great artists of all kind, and all origins than contributed to the 80s legend. and 99.9% of them weren't related to South American narcos (thank God). the coke underground business certainly contributed in some part to Miami development. but it isn't what made Miami, nor the 80s. i lived in Colombia during that era, and believe me narco traffic is all but fun. just to give an example there was a time back then when Pablo Escobar gave 1 million $ to any guy that will kill a Colombian cop. go in the street, spot a cop, murder him, and Escobar will give you 1M. these people were psycopaths, nasty ones. let's not forget it. the Medellin cartel made tremendous damages to Colombia. like any mafia organisation in the world. these people are Earth scum

No offense but do you have ANY idea what the US has done to hundreds of thousands of innocent people all over the freakin' world for the past 80yrs?  They make Escobar, Blanco, the Ochoas, Ledher, etc., look like churchboys.  Yes Escobar was a bad man but we Americans have plenty of equally bad men in Washington, D.C. this very minute who are just as bad if not worse.

• Haha 1

• Administrators

Ok, so they want to reboot "Will and Grace"  and "Murphy Brown"   Fine, that's easy.   But to reboot a show like Vice?  It's just not that simple. The idea of rebooting this show scares me and the fact that Vin Diesel is involved terrifies me!

I'm sorry but to have the original cast? All I can think of is everyone watching it and thinking how old everyone has gotten.  Have you seen Castillo or Switek lately?

Nuff said.

• Like 2

Even DJ and PMT, who aged well I wouldn't want to see anymore playing their characters. Sometimes it's better to accept something is over and be grateful for how amazing it was. 

But a MV reboot with a new cast I wouldn't mind. Not as a copy, more as a new interpretation of MV, inspired by great elements of the original. It doesn't have to be bad if this show would find an own identity. I'd compare it with a reboot of a classic muscle car like the Ford Mustang. The current one got elements of the 60s model, but also an own style, adapted to this decade. MV 21st century necessarily has to be innovative to become successful - like the original was back in the days. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, squeezem3 said:

But a MV reboot with a new cast I wouldn't mind. Not as a copy, more as a new interpretation of MV, inspired by great elements of the original. 

Only problem is it would forever be compared to the original.

Sometimes it's better to accept something is over and be grateful for how amazing it was. 

Amen!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ferrariman said:

Only problem is it would forever be compared to the original

Yes, and because of that people's expectations would be sky-high, what increases the probability of failing. Still, I think it's possible to create a symbiosis of classic vice elements with a fresh and modern look. What you need: two main actors with great chemistry between each other (Farrell and Foxx had none...) , great story writers, and decent music - which still exists. Just not on the top of the charts anymore, like in the 80s. What else? Hot chicks, fast cars, and bright-stylish fashion.

Oh and not too serious, please. Despite of the Action-drama, which Vice was, there also were humorous elements like Izzy, Elvis, and some well-placed sarcasm here and there. 

So, yes I have no doubt it's possible. I just don't believe Vin Diesel is capable of something deeper than TripleX and Fast and Furious. 

Edited by squeezem3

3 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I'm sorry but to have the original cast? All I can think of is everyone watching it and thinking how old everyone has gotten.  Have you seen Castillo or Switek lately?

Nuff said.

plus i'm not sure some of the old cast are still into Vice. i mean Olmos did an fantastic Starship captain in Battlestar Galactica. maybe some of them are just simply bored with that forever Vice etiquette. they don't say anything not to hurt the fans, but maybe they just want to go ahead, and explore new worlds. just speculating there. this been said if they create a new series with M. Talbott in one of the major roles, it will definitely catch my attention, definitely. i think that man is one of the most underrated US actors.

personnally i think it has to be something new. i mean the era has changed, the humanity concerns have changed, the media have changed, the police work has changed. old Vice in 2018 can't work IMHO

i think the series can work today if attention is paid to the human side in each episode. not just catch the bad guy, put him in jail, be the hero. but put into light what's behind. that could be a hell of a TV show if done correctly. actually some Vice most praised episodes are made with that material. Weldon madness. Evan torment, Castillo uprightness in Borrasca...

Edited by jpm1

12 minutes ago, squeezem3 said:

Yes, and because of that people's expectations would be sky-high, what increases the probability of failing. Still, I think it's possible to create a symbiosis of classic vice elements with a fresh and modern look. What you need: two main actors with great chemistry between each other (Farrell and Foxx had none...) , great story writers, and decent music - which still exists. Just not on the top of the charts anymore, like in the 80s. What else? Hot chicks, fast cars, and bright-stylish fashion. 

So, yes I have no doubt it's possible. I just don't believe Vin Diesel is capable of something deeper than TripleX and Fast and Furious. 

sry for double post but this has been posted after

i'm sorry but i don't agree about Farrell, Fox, and also Vin Diesel. both 3 jobs were tough, and they took the challenge. they have my respect for that. just watched 2006 movie again a couple of days ago. and even if i'm gonna make me some enemies that thing is a masterpiece for me. there were lot of expectations about that reboot, and we all knew the bar was high, not to say very high. and the result is very good IMHO. so allow me not to agree :p

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 1

Any for of MV w/out DJ and PMT would fail miserably much like the half-assed attempt at the MPI revival.  W/out the originals it just won't work.  The only that would work is a one-off one-time reunion w/ some modern terrorism/narco kinda plot they all reunite to defeat.  Even that would NEVER have the same impact as MV.  I regret even suggesting it now in hindsight.  Its odd how the internet has made life seem so dull and uninteresting while its made communication so much easier.