March 2019 visit to Miami

Dadrian

My family (and some friends) will be in Miami for a couple of days the weekend of the 23rd. I have no idea what all we’ll be doing, but I’ll share any MV-related pics here. 

Hopefully I’ll get to visit at least one of the many  MV spots I’ve missed on my previous trips. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chum981 said:

Sounds great!  Looking forward to the photos!  I still remember your photo from the iconic Bill Baggs scene!!!

Good times :p

9DBC98B9-AD81-48F1-800C-B61CEDFE74BF.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Enjoy Dadrian best to you from Vero, Florida.

I figured I’d just missed you. Maybe next time. :thumbsup:

@DadrianI’ve been up in Vero and Jupiter, Florida since 1 March although I was in Aventura Tuesday nite time. See you soon. 

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, just now getting to upload/share pics:

I like driving at night and arriving at dawn, and that's just what we did. Here's sunrise at the beach, first thing. :thumbsup:

IMG_9665.JPG

• Like 5

I HIGHLY recommend anyone to stay at the Surf View Suites at 7610 Harding Ave. in North Miami Beach for a pleasant, clean room in a very convenient location.

When we booked to room, I knew the location address sounded familiar. When we arrived, I was immediately reminded why: it's right across the street from Switek's apartment! (7615 Harding Ave.)

IMG_9667.JPG

IMG_9668.JPG

IMG_9669.JPG

IMG_9670.JPG

• Like 5

If you remember my 2016 vacation thread, you know we went to La Liberdad on W. Flagler (Killshot street café) for coffee every day. It's still there, and just as scary and ran-down as last time, but the coffee was as good as ever!

IMG_9672.JPG

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 3

After a ride around downtown on the Metro Mover, I got a glimpse of the Ultramont Mall (Whatever Works, Tubbs buys a cassette tape) out of my car window.

IMG_9683.JPG

• Like 3

While my gang took a much-needed nap after riding in a car all night, I was still freshly awakened from my café Cubano. I drove on over to Turnberry Isle. I've always wanted to visit, but never got around to it on past visits. There are many season 1 and 2 scenes filmed around here, as you'll recognize (if you didn't already know just from the name of the location).

IMG_9685.JPG

IMG_9686.JPG

IMG_9687.JPG

IMG_9688.JPG

IMG_9689.JPG

IMG_9690.JPG

IMG_9691.JPG

IMG_9692.JPG

IMG_9693.JPG

IMG_9694.JPG

IMG_9695.JPG

IMG_9696.JPG

IMG_9697.JPG

IMG_9698.JPG

IMG_9700.JPG

IMG_9701.JPG

IMG_9702.JPG

IMG_9703.JPG

IMG_9711 (Edited).PNG

• Like 5

That looks so beautiful! I could really use a trip to Miami right now after this long cold Midwestern winter. "You enjoying your stay on de Island?"

I also like the recreation of the Crockett and Caroline scene near the lighthouse with Billy. Looks like paradise there.

• Thanks 1

I never realized Stan's apartment was so close to where the Blue Waters Hotel (The Maze) used to be--just a couple of blocks! We know the Blue Waters is long gone, but the adjacent buildings where we see the MV cast approach in various The Maze scenes are still intact. They look pretty ran-down. I would be surprised if they weren't majorly renovated or replaced very soon. Pardon the sun beams. It was a bad time of day for these shots, but I wasn't sure if I'd get another chance.

IMG_9723.JPG

IMG_9724.JPG

IMG_9725.JPG

IMG_9726.JPG

IMG_9727.JPG

• Like 6

One more of the last building seen many times in "The Maze", and then a few shots of the really nice building that was built on the spot of the Blue Waters:

IMG_9737.JPG

IMG_9738.JPG

IMG_9739.JPG

IMG_9740.JPG

IMG_9741.JPG

• Like 5

Next we were at the Stephen P. Clark Center beside the court house where you can board the Metro Rail and Metro Mover trains. This is where Izzy hid at the top of the escalator in "The McCarthy" teaser.

IMG_9744.JPG

IMG_9745.JPG

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 5

Next we went to Whiskey Joe's for lunch, which used to be Horatio's, and was featured in "Yankee Dollar" and "Walk-Alone".

IMG_9752.JPG

IMG_9759.PNG

IMG_9760.PNG

IMG_9761.JPG

IMG_9763.JPG

IMG_9765.JPG

• Like 4

The last MV location I got pics of is under the Rickenbacker Causeway. This great view is where Tubbs gets arrested in "Walk-Alone", and we see the Testarossa zoom around this curve in at least one scene of later episodes, as well.

IMG_9768.JPG

IMG_9769.JPG

IMG_9770.JPG

• Like 7

I wish I had more pics to share, but we were only there for two days. We had a lot of fun. Turnberry Isle was the highlight for me this time. Being in that pool area was quite surreal. I could totally live in one of those condos for a cool $2,500/month. :fireworks:

6 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I wish I had more pics to share, but we were only there for two days. We had a lot of fun. Turnberry Isle was the highlight for me this time. Being in that pool area was quite surreal. I could totally live in one of those condos for a cool $2,500/month. :fireworks:

Looks like a nice visit!  How did you get into Turnberry?  Did you park somewhere and walk over?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, airtommy said:

How did you get into Turnberry?  Did you park somewhere and walk over?

Yes. I put in the Turnberry Marina as my GPS destination, and came over the bridge just like I was giving Sarah a ride in my Lamborghini ;). When I got to the gate, I politely asked the attendant if I could park somewhere and look around, as my wife and I were considering staying there on our next visit (truth). He very kindly said "yes" and let me park in a space just inside the gate.

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2