What happened to Jan Hammer’s music on Spotify?

BunMVO

Anyone else notice this? Many of Jan Hammer’s Miami Vice soundtracks are no longer available on Spotify, including Crockett’s Theme. I am very disappointed to say the least, since I use it every day. Anyone know the reason? What gives?

Hmmm...that’s strange. They are all still on YouTube. If I remember correctly, in the email announcement Spotify was the motive for the whole new social media presence, as there is money to be made on music if it’s yours (legally). 

• Administrators

Hmm... That's odd. Everything is still available for me in Australia. Maybe it's just removed from your country? That happens sometimes... The music on Spotify are sort of region locked, and sometimes albums or songs disappear for a period of time and then come back. Weird stuff. 

janhammer.jpg

3 hours ago, pmconroy said:

It’s very sad. How am I going to listen to it now?

That's why I buy and save music. Call me old school, but I don't want to depend on some flakey online service to get the music I like. You can actually get the two disk Jan Hammer Vice soundtrack through Amazon digitally. Download, save, and play when you want. Hard to beat in my view.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

That's why I buy and save music. Call me old school, but I don't want to depend on some flakey online service to get the music I like. You can actually get the two disk Jan Hammer Vice soundtrack through Amazon digitally. Download, save, and play when you want. Hard to beat in my view.

Agreed, but I also occasionally turn on Jan Hammer Pandora (really “flakey” :) ) for the chance of getting a random selection that wouldn’t have turned up on my purchased/ripped (Apple Music app) files’ random MV playlists. The other night an old Genesis song that I (somehow) don’t have fit in SO nicely with the MV songs.  

So I’d say streaming is a nice once-in-awhile alternative, but certainly pales in comparison to owned files if you were gonna do one or the other exclusively. 

Edited by Dadrian

• Administrators
8 hours ago, pmconroy said:

It’s very sad. How am I going to listen to it now?

YouTube? 

That really stinks! I am sorry to hear about that. I am a dinosaur, and buy CD hard copies of albums that I like just in case I can't access them online. I do the same for television series and movies that I like too. Anyway, I would e-mail the company and ask. It couldn't hurt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scot from S.C. said:

That really stinks! I am sorry to hear about that. I am a dinosaur, and buy CD hard copies of albums that I like just in case I can't access them online. I do the same for television series and movies that I like too. Anyway, I would e-mail the company and ask. It couldn't hurt.

I do the same thing.

• Like 1

I’ll probably just download the MP3s and play the files locally by downloading them to Spotify. YouTube is an inconvenient option and I pay for Spotify every month...

15 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I do exactly the same ... Digital is great BUT, you never know ... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

I do exactly the same ... Digital is great BUT, you never know ... 

I think it’s a generational thing. CDs became less and less common as I grew up. I came to like the convenience.

• Like 2

That's the problem with streaming. You don't buy anything, neither you own anything physically. You just pay to rent the right to access their music library. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, squeezem3 said:

You just pay to rent the right to access their music library. 

Isn’t Spotify free?

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Isn’t Spotify free?

Yeah, but the free version is trash.

3 hours ago, squeezem3 said:

That's the problem with streaming. You don't buy anything, neither you own anything physically. You just pay to rent the right to access their music library. 

Yeah. But for someone without a lot of money, it’s a good temporary option. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pmconroy said:

Yeah, but the free version is trash.

Yeah. But for someone without a lot of money, it’s a good temporary option. 

I don't remember paying more than $20 for the digital version of Jan Hammer's Miami Vice soundtrack, and I can play it whenever I want. No connection needed. I might check out streaming services to sample new artists or the like, but if I like them I want their stuff in a format I can listen to when I like, no matter where I am.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I don't remember paying more than $20 for the digital version of Jan Hammer's Miami Vice soundtrack, and I can play it whenever I want. No connection needed. I might check out streaming services to sample new artists or the like, but if I like them I want their stuff in a format I can listen to when I like, no matter where I am.

Good point there. It would just irk me.

I get it. But paying $20 or whatever a month to someone who can control what I can or can't listen to irks me. Once I pay my $20 I can listen to Vice whenever I want, even if there's no internet or data service or if Spotify shut off Jan Hammer's feed. I still have it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I get it. But paying $20 or whatever a month to someone who can control what I can or can't listen to irks me. Once I pay my $20 I can listen to Vice whenever I want, even if there's no internet or data service or if Spotify shut off Jan Hammer's feed. I still have it.

Only, how do you play it while on the go? Having a CD would work for your car or at home, but it seems impractical for listening on the go. Plus, it’s prone to scratches.

This is digital format. I either buy that way (rarely) or rip it from CD to MP3 and listen that way. Simple, really. iPods do still exist, and if you don't that there's always the phone. That way I've got it when and where I need it and don't have to worry about connection or anything else.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Isn’t Spotify free?

It is, but you pay to get rid of the ads and have the ability to pick whatever song you want to listen to on mobile devices. With the free version you can only "shuffle play" on mobile, but can listen to whatever song you want on PC, and both have ads.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

This is digital format. I either buy that way (rarely) or rip it from CD to MP3 and listen that way. Simple, really. iPods do still exist, and if you don't that there's always the phone. That way I've got it when and where I need it and don't have to worry about connection or anything else.

Aside from my turntable, my 120GB Ipod Classic is the best musical experience available. 

39 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Aside from my turntable, my 120GB Ipod Classic is the best musical experience available. 

I just use my phone as an mp3 player, there are loads of Vice-related songs on it. But I'm aware you can't easily copy mp3s on an iPhone which you haven't purchased through iTunes. The main reason why I switched to Android. 

19 minutes ago, squeezem3 said:

I just use my phone as an mp3 player, there are loads of Vice-related songs on it. But I'm aware you can't easily copy mp3s on an iPhone which you haven't purchased through iTunes. The main reason why I switched to Android. 

Actually you can so long as you have a Mac. You just add them to your music library and then sync the phone. Been doing it that way for years. I haven't purchased any of my music through iTunes.

Edited by Robbie C.