Where to find unstructured blazers ?

MichaelAce

Hi, I've checked several topics* and I've noticed that a lot of people here own very nice jackets, sport coats and blazers but I can't manage to find one myself...

I've been looking for unstructured, unlined, unconstructed, lightweight summer blazers without shoulder pads, it's absolutely impossible to find something under $300 and I can't afford it

So I was wondering if someone could help me to find a linen/cotton blazer that's recommended for warm weathers, even if it's not vintage

I'm looking for a black blazer, size 46EU

and a charcoal blazer with pants, looking approximately like this:

03C667BC-68D1-4A56-980A-A180E86761F9.jpeg

Credits to https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/profile/6121-pmconroy/

And if it's possible, with a straight cut, more like this,             rather than this

image.png.a4ae9f3dae0a402993281e9fa18bdb5c.pngimage.png.f67c73bd0facafe59bfcac4268867c9f.png

* Topics:

Edited by AdrienSpy

AdrienSpy, I just bought three linen blazers at Macy's by Tasso Elba... white, light gray, and mint.  They're constantly on sale and off sale. Just wait a day or two and they seem to go on sale again. Average price I paid was $59. Are they exact Miami Vice blazers? No, but they're cut less tight than most of today's ridiculous suits and they're okay for the money. I've already gotten several compliments on them. Photos coming soon.

• Administrators

Vintage clothing on eBay or a thrift shop. 

Hugo Boss have some deconstructed blazers however I imagine that's out of your price range. 

Other than that, Linen blazers are coming back in style this year and you see them around when you go shopping, just gotta go into every store and see what they have. 

The Tasso Elba blazers are fine especially if you are on a budget.  They do have a bit of padding in the shoulders but you won't look like an NFL linebacker.  I like the way they are cut but there can be some inconsistencies in the quality of these.  It is kind of a get what you pay for deal.  For example, I bought your linked example in black and one of the shoulders had a bit more padding in it than the other.  The Tasso blazers are great $59 blazers but not at $129 (reg price).  I do have some high quality Cremieux blazers for occasions where I like to feel more upscale so to speak.  You'll always find yourself mixing in budget friendly options. 

Buying clothes online can be an adventure for sure.  I have been experimenting with different brands and once I find one I like, I will just order online from then on rather than trying to visit stores.  If I do go to stores like Dillards, I always buy stuff off season for the next year.  You can get some incredible deals that way.  Dillards always has clearance stuff with additional 30-40% off the lowest price.  I have gotten REALLY nice stuff for 1/4 the original price or less.  My biggest mistakes when buying blazers online is going with the wrong size if they are S-M-L-XL.  I always seem to go too big when trying different brands.

You might want to check out "dinner jackets" also.  Some of them have nice cuts and can fit into a modern take on MV style.  A lot of blazers these days are less padded and closer to unconstructed than you might imagine.  I am definitely one who doesn't want to look like a triangle.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

I don't care for shoulder pads either and I have one of those Tasso Elba blazers in white that has shoulder pads unfortunately. It's sadly discouraged me from wearing the white jacket at all this season.

Yeah, don't really expect quality from that brand. It's the Great Value of Macy's. But it will get the job done. I was unaware that they have new colors including mint, I'll consider buying because that color jacket is near impossible to find.

But I wouldn't pay more than $60 for one of these.

• Like 1

Oh, and as I mentioned in another thread, check eBay for J. Crew Ludlow blazers in cotton or linen. They're great. I have a few and not one of them has padded shoulders or any kind of structure. It's perfect for that lightweight, breezy summer look.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdrienSpy said:

And if it's possible, with a straight cut, more like this,             rather than this

image.png.a4ae9f3dae0a402993281e9fa18bdb5c.pngimage.png.f67c73bd0facafe59bfcac4268867c9f.png

The "cut" you are referring to here, the angle of the lapel to the suit body, isn't entirely a design choice.  Choosing a three-button suit will increase the angle as the top button sits much higher than a typical two-button.   A single button, shawl collar will have an even lower button, decreasing this angle.  Ultimately though, what most determines this angle is the amount of construction and the size of the wearers chest to stomach.  An unconstructed jacket left unbuttoned will hang much straighter than a fully constructed jacket.  If the wearer has a large stomach relative to their chest, the jacket will hang awkwardly when left undone as the extra fabric added to cover the stomach lower down bunches up.  Picture a double breasted suit left unbuttoned when the wearer stands.

How do I know all this stuff even though I rarely wear jackets, let alone full suits?  My mother was quite the seamstress (not by profession though) and studied with a tailor when I was younger.  She made my father a full bespoke three-piece suit back in the 80's.  She made me a jacket for my college graduation and used too make me a shirt for my birthday every year.  This included pattern-making as well as sewing and tailoring.  Sadly, arthritis has largely ended this though she still does some quilting.

https://bespokeunit.com/suits/glossary/

11 hours ago, AdrienSpy said:

@Titus I've seen the pictures but unless I'm wrong, there wasn't dark grey or black unlined blazers

@James I'll check everything and tell if I ever find something

Actually they have both black and dark gray (I have one of each). They're partially lined, which means in the front mostly so you have usable pockets. The quality's ok...but only buy they on sale. They aren't worth full price in my opinion.

• Like 1

@Robbie C. I couldn't find the dark grey one, do you have a link or something ? And some way to ship it into France ? Maybe someone could post it on ebay and take a few dollars as a payment to send it to me

I don't see a dark gray linen blazer by Tasso Elba on Macys website right now.  You really have to keep close tabs on that site if you want to find deals.  They apply sales at weird times and the prices are always different.

Looking around, dark gray is kind of hard to come by for whatever reason but I am not an expert shopper.  :)

This is a blue one that I have been considering since I don't have a navy one yet. https://factory.jcrew.com/p/mens-clothing/suits/suiting/slim-thompson-unstructured-blazer-in-flex-chino/K8588?color_name=navy

Also, the J Crew Unsuit line seems like something that you might like since it is unstructured AND unlined.  I have been checking out these options.  https://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/unsuit.jsp

Edited by IA-SteveB

Oh, and for the record, the jacket you used as an example is very much so not unstructured actually... it probably just looks that way because of how I wear it. That one has shoulder pads and full lining which irks me hard. But I mean the one it is trying to imitate also has shoulder pads - see my "Crockett's S1 gray blazer" thread for that.

10 hours ago, AdrienSpy said:

Well it looks pretty lightweight, what's the composition ?

It's a linen-wool-silk blend. About 50% linen, 33% wool and 17% silk I think. It's still decently lightweight. The brand is Z Zegna.

1 hour ago, pmconroy said:

It's a linen-wool-silk blend. About 50% linen, 33% wool and 17% silk I think. It's still decently lightweight. The brand is Z Zegna.

They look good.

• 3 weeks later...

This may be worth a look too.  They are called "sweatshirt blazers"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hugo-Boss-Orange-mens-sweatshirt-blazer-slate-blue-unstructured-large-sport/153568925238?hash=item23c16bd636:g:4UwAAOSw8Ppc-SzL

A search on that term doesn't yield a lot of results but I do like the style of this particular one, especially since you can wear the sleeves up.  Too big for me.

Edited by IA-SteveB

Not quite what I'm looking for but thanks

I got a black linen blazer from H&M

Now I need 1 black & 1 Grey linen pants + 1 grey unlined Grey blazer looking like this one:

R-2211739-1291235574.jpeg.jpg

Or this one

08d244180035b4e31cb7305f53cd08fc.jpg