Watching

mjcmmv

Thought I'd dip a toe in the water. 

I wrote "Watching" a long time ago, and when I looked it over recently, I thought it needed a "reboot".

A special thanks goes out to another Fan Fiction writer on here who gave me encouragement and the boost that I needed. Thanks, Robbie!  :cheers:

For those of you who read this  back in the day, there are some surprises. For those who didn't, I hope you enjoy it! 

image.png.eb0a95f86fa690713c872bf02c165020.png

PROLOGUE

December 1989: Fort Lauderdale

Pedrosa

He stood there.  Watching. Knowing the man in front of him was a fraud. The coke was probably real, and his background checked out. But Pedrosa knew in his gut this guy was heat.

“There’s plenty more where this came from,” Pedrosa heard him say. The man opened the case and turned it around. “I got an endless supply from a Columbian pipeline feeding into Mexico. And the border patrol’s in my pocket. This deal’s sweet, Pedrosa!”

Pedrosa glanced down at the plastic bags packed tightly together. “You have an endless supply, and this is all you brought?”

The man shrugged. “I have to be careful not to attract attention. Ten for now. Ten more when we meet again.”

Pedrosa paused. “We’ll test it first. If I like what I see, then we’ll deal.” He pointed to a dark blue van parked by the curb. “Nice and private. We don’t need to attract any curious onlookers….or the cops.” 

Bonner didn't look happy. “Ah, come on. This area’s a ghost town at this hour. We can test the dope right here. Then you get the money, and we’ll make the exchange.” 

The Columbian fixed him with a cold stare. “We don’t have to make the exchange at all, Señor. You’re not the only one with powder to sell. ” 

“Not as pure as this.”

Never missed a beat, this undercover cop. Pedrosa scratched his chin and wondered if the guy was wearing a wire. Hopefully, before long, he was going to find out.

Pedrosa walked over to the van and opened the back door. “Inside, Bonner. We test where no one can see us, or I’m history.”

The man hesitated long enough for Pedrosa to know he’d won the pissing contest. His smile widened. “It’ll only take a minute.”

Bonner closed the case with a sigh. “Shit, Pedrosa. Don’t you ever bend?”

“I never break my own rules. That’s why I’m still breathing.”

Bonner avoided Pedrosa’s hand and helped himself into the van. His eyes narrowed when one of Pedrosa’s men climbed in and closed the door behind him.  

“It was supposed to be just you and me. What’s with him?” He jerked his thumb toward the lumbering giant standing behind him.

“Cortez, my body guard,” Pedrosa explained. “Up front is my driver, Manuel Perez.” Pedrosa pointed toward a heavy-set man, sitting in the front.   He was listening to a Spanish radio station and taping on the steering wheel to the beat of the music. 

Bonner glanced at Pedrosa and frowned.  “Not much ventilation in here. Can you at least crank open a window? ” 

Pedrosa smiled. “It’s better this way. No one outside can hear a sound.”

“Give me a break! It’s hotter than hell in here!”

“There’s beer in the cooler.”

Bonner sighed.  “Forget it. Let’s get this over with so I can get back to an air-conditioner and something better than lukewarm beer.”

Pedrosa shrugged and helped himself to one of  plastic bags in Bonner's case. He slit a small opening and scooped a tiny amount into a test tube Filipe handed to him. He shook the tube and then, held it up to the light. It surprised when he saw the chemical reaction. 

“Very nice, Señor Bonner! I think we’ll do business after all.”

“Good. So, let’s see the money.”

Sure, I hand you the money; you slap on the cuffs. 

“Soon,” he said aloud.  “First, I insist we drink to our new partnership.” Cortez filled two cups with beer and offered one to Bonner. This time, Bonner accepted the offer.  He put the cup to his lips and drank. “Not bad,” he said, with a sigh of relief. He drained the cup dry.

Pedrosa grinned. Sweet dreams, cop...

Bonner wiped his arm across his forehead. “I know your van’s got air-conditioning. Can’t you run the engine, or something?”

“This will all be over soon,” Pedrosa said. 

“Not soon enough for me. I want my money.”

“Sure, Bonner. In a minute. Let me finish my beer.” 

He watched Bonner shift his body, trying to get comfortable. Pedrosa sipped his beer slowly. A minute passed and the man’s head began to nod.  When his eyes began to close, Pedrosa gave the signal. 

Cortez grabbed Bonner by the back of his jacket and pulled him close. Then, he wrapped an arm around his neck and clamped a large hand tightly over his mouth. Pedrosa slapped the wall of the van and the engine roared to life. The driver peeled away from the curb and the van raced away at top speed. 

Pedrosa glanced out the back window and chuckled when he noticed a delivery truck struggling to keep up. He’d wondered where the backup was hiding. “Friends of yours, Señor?” he asked. He stared back at Bonner. 

The man’s eyes were bulging as he fought for air. Pedrosa ripped his shirt down the front. The wires were taped to his chest, just as he’d predicted. Pedrosa yanked the wires from the transmitter. 

“Tie him.”

Cortez removed his arm and Bonner fell to one knee. 

“What the hell did you give me?” He was still choking.

“Don’t concern yourself, Bonner. Soon, you won’t even care.”

Cortez bound Bonner’s arms behind his back. The man was too weak to fight. 

“You knew all along," Bonner said. His voice was barely a whisper.

“You forget Senor, I’m from Columbia, and I’m familiar with how the pipelines work. You kept boasting about your connections. My people in Mexico told me they never heard of you.”

For the first time, Pedrosa saw a hint of fear in the man’s eyes. “You’re going to kill me,” he said. It was more of a statement of fact than a question.

“This is warfare.” Pedrosa answered. He pulled a pistol from his waistband. “Killing the enemy is what I do.”  

Manuel maneuvered the van down a series of narrow streets and cut through several alley ways. The delivery truck that had been following them was nowhere to be seen. 

At last he slowed down and pulled into a garage that was open and waiting. When he shut off the engine, the garage door slid down, sealing the van off from the outside world and leaving the deserted streets in total darkness. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

One of my favorite fanfics ever!  So glad you decided to post it here!  

So happy to hear that, Vicegirl. Thank you...that really means a lot...

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Glad to see you got this out there! Well done!

Thank you. ;)

Edited by mjcmmv

WATCHING-PART ONE

Chapter 1: Reception

January 13, 1992: Miami, OCB 

Music Intro: “Before the Leaving”   by Alela Diane 

image.png.e817663c4f96dbd6b765fe9109eabe84.png

Sonny

He leaned against the door-frame and watched her drink her coffee. She was just as he remembered: the smooth, silky skin; the rich, black hair that fell down around her shoulders. He loved her in that tight skirt with the high heels. And he was having a tough time tearing his eyes away from the silky white blouse that draped over her soft curves.

What would she say when she saw him? Would she be angry? Or, worse-indifferent.

There was a thick tension in the air. He was just wondering how to handle it, when she turned and looked straight at him.  

“Hey there,” she said. 

“Hey, yourself.” He took a deep breath and walked over to her desk. “It’s good to see you.”

“It’s good to see you, too. Welcome home, Sonny.”

Better than he'd expected, but he noticed a hardness in her eyes that bothered him.

“You’re looking well,” she said. “Thin, but more relaxed at least. So, where’ve you been for all this time?”

He knew that was coming. “It’s a long, boring story. Let’s just say I’ve been on a slow boat to nowhere and leave it at that.” 

He sat on the edge of her desk, trying to think of ways to keep things light.  “So, what’s been going on with you?” 

“Oh, not much. Been busy with assignments and all. You know how this place can be.”

“Don’t I,” he laughed. “Kind of makes me wonder why on earth I came back.” 

He stopped short when he realized what he’d said.

“Why did you come back?” 

His eyes shifted away. “Floating on the big blue ocean was getting old, I guess. Besides, I needed to straighten out a few things… before it got too late.”

“I see. Then, I guess you’ll have your work cut out for you.”  Her  manner had turned cool. She gathered the files from her desk. “Castillo told us you were coming in,” she said at last. “I understand you and Rico will be the guests of honor at tomorrow’s briefing.”

“Did Rico get here yet? Man, it will be good to swap horror stories with good old “Mr. New York”! It’s been way too long!”

“Yeah. Way too long.” Her tone was bitter. 

“Gina…”

“I have to go.”

“Let’s talk.” he glanced around the room, “Away from here.”

“Sorry, Sonny. You may be hoping to clear the air, but I can’t see how you’ll explain three years of silence.”

Good point

“At least hear me out,” he said. 

Now he saw anger in her eyes. “I guess if we are going to work together again, I owe you that much.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“I know what you meant.”

He sighed. “How about dinner then.  Tomorrow night?”

“Incredible.” She closed her eyes and shook her head. 

“Come on, a simple dinner.”

“Okay. But this time, Crockett, we’ll keep it simple. I’m tired of feeling used.”

January 13th, 1992: OCB

0800: OCB Conference Room

Castillo

Morning briefings at OCB were usually a boring affair, attended by a few sleepy-eyed detectives giving catch-up reports to a stern Martin Castillo. But today, the conference room had drawn quite a crowd. 

“I have two announcements, this morning,” Martin began. He glanced over at the blonde detective sitting in the back of the room.  

“First, Detective Sonny Crockett has returned to OCB. He was recently reinstated and will start this Monday, January 20th.” 

Stan and Lester, two of the squad’s surveillance experts, let out a war whoop; several others threw fist pumps in the air. Sonny seemed embarrassed, but he managed a sheepish grin. 

One of the female detectives, Trudy Joplin, was sitting next to him. “I’m so glad, Sonny,” she said as she gave him a warm hug. 

Her partner, Gina Calabrese, seated at the other end of the table, appeared disinterested. She leaned back in her chair and glanced at her watch.

“Welcome back.” Castillo said as he reached over the table and shook Sonny’s hand. 

“Thank you, Martin. And thanks, everyone.”

Castillo noticed Sonny’s eyes shift over to Gina for a second. He also noticed, she didn’t look back.

“My second announcement concerns Detective Ricardo Tubbs …”

The staff didn’t wait for Castillo to continue. 

“Right on!” Stan shouted. The rest of the room erupted.

“Oh, man,” Rico groaned. “I don’t deserve this.”

“Yes, you do,” Sonny called out. He gave Rico a soft punch on the arm. “It’s great to see you again, partner.” Then Sonny and Rico shook hands and the room went wild. When the group finally quieted down, Castillo welcomed Rico with a handshake and then, continued to address the staff. 

“I’m depending on all of you to help these guys settle in. There are plenty of tough cases to tackle and the sooner they’re on the job, the better. Meanwhile, this afternoon, at 1300, the rest of us will meet here to discuss the Moskowitz case. I want all the updates ready to present, and paperwork on my desk by the end of the day. That will be all.”

The OCB crew filed out, each one slapping high fives with Sonny and Rico and mouthing ‘welcome backs’ as they left. Trudy pulled Rico out of the conference room and into the main office to show him where his desk would be. Everyone else drifted away until the only ones left in the room were Sonny and Martin.

“Pretty enthusiastic,” Martin said. 

Sonny leaned back in his chair. “Yeah…I wasn’t expecting that.”

“Good to be back?” 

“It is…and thanks for your support. It means a lot.”

Castillo closed the file in front of him. “So, how’s the boat working out?”

“When I got to the Marina yesterday and saw the St. Vitus waiting for me in the slip…I almost lost it. Yeah, Lieutenant. It’s working out fine. It’s like I never left.”

“Glad you kept the car. Makes it easier for me. Now I don’t have to find you another.”

“Hope no one does any digging.” Sonny said, smothering a laugh. “’If some clerk checks the paper work, they’ll figure out I stole it back in ‘89.”

Martin thought back to that day and he could still see Crockett and Tubbs throwing their badges down in the dirt telling him they were through.  It has been rough losing two of his best detectives. Even so, convincing the Captain to take them back hadn’t been easy.

“They questioned my decision, you know.”

“I’m sure they did.”

“The Burnett side of you is giving them nightmares. They think I’ve lost my mind.”

Crockett crushed his cigarette in the ashtray in front of him. “How do you feel about it, Martin?  I need to know.”

“I wouldn’t have asked you back if I didn’t trust you.” he paused, “But before I let you take on a case…there’s the therapy we discussed. And AA. Remember, we have a deal.”

He heard Crockett take in a deep breath. “Yeah. I know. I’m on it.”

“Not good enough.”

“Martin, I didn’t even buy groceries yet. Give me a break.”

“You have until this Friday. I want the name of your VA counselor, and Sonny, if he believes AA will do you good, you’re going.” He paused. “If this isn’t set up by Friday, you’re not working on the 20th.”

“Okay. I’ll take care of it this afternoon.”

“Good.” Castillo stood. “We’ll talk more on Friday.”

When the scheduled one o’clock briefing was over, Castillo signaled to Gina to stay seated and waited for the room to empty out before he approached her. 

“Gina, can I see you in my office?”

It was obvious to him she was upset and he was pretty sure he knew why. When she settled down in one of his office chairs, he didn’t waste time with questions.

“Sonny and Rico have been away for three years and they aren’t familiar with the policy changes. I’m going to put Crockett with you, and Tubbs with Trudy, just for a week or two. Will that be a problem?”

She lowered her eyes. “I’ll work with Tubbs.”

His suspicions were confirmed. “Talk to me,” he said.

“It’s personal, Lieutenant. But I won’t let it interfere with my work.”

“You already have. I need everyone on board, Gina.”

“Please. Give me a little time to take this all in.”

“I have a unit to run and I can’t be worrying about broken hearts. This is a reason the department discourages officers from dating.”

“Yeah. I know. Just do me this one favor and assign him to Trudy. After he’s back on the street…I’ll be okay.”

It took him only a minute to make up his mind. “Let me know if you need to talk,” he said.

Gina sighed. “Thanks, Lieutenant.” She got up and left, closing the door behind her. 

Castillo opened Crockett’s file again and stared down at the Detective’s picture. 

He had fought hard to get him back. Sonny was one of a kind and Castillo considered him an asset during a difficult investigation. 

But, alcohol can dull a man’s intuitive skills. If Crockett was damaged, Martin would have to cut him loose. He was hoping the rehab had reached him in time. 

He felt a headache coming on, so he switched off the over-head lights and lay down on the couch to think. And considering the way the day had gone so far, probably to sleep.

Sonny

He avoided their old haunts and picked a quiet little restaurant on the water with a glorious view of the bay. 

Gina barely looked at him as she picked at her food. She seemed distracted and unhappy. Finally putting down her fork, she leaned back and took a sip of her wine. 

No doubt about it. Gina was going to make him sweat.

“Listen,” he said, “I’m sorry.” 

She put down her glass and studied him for a moment. 

“You know, Sonny; we stopped being lovers a long time ago. But, we were still friends. You barely said goodbye after our last case in Costa Morada. Three, long years went by and not a word. I’m still having a hard time accepting that. A really hard time.”

Crockett tapped the end of his cigarette on the white tablecloth. “I don’t blame you for being angry. But don’t count me out yet, Gina. You’ll see. I’ve changed.”

“I doubt it.”

He felt a sudden flash of annoyance. “That’s not like you.”

“Well, then I guess I’ve changed, too.

Her hostility silenced him. 

She picked the napkin from her lap and put it on the table. “It’s late. I think we’re finished here. ”

He watched her stand. “You barely touched your dinner.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“Gina, I…”

“Listen, Sonny. Let’s get something straight. I wish I was happy you’re back, but I’m not. Whatever your plan is to ‘set things straight’, make sure you leave me out of it. 

His eyes slid away.

“As far as working together, you have nothing to worry about, I plan on being professional. Make sure you're the same.” 

And just like that, she was gone. And so was the kernel of hope he’d been nurturing for the past six months. 

“We’ll see,” he said, as he watched the boats bobbing on the water. “You may think it’s over Gina, but I’m not giving up that easily.”

image.png

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

"You’ll see. I’ve changed.”

“I doubt it.”

He felt a sudden flash of annoyance. “That’s not like you.”
“Well, then I guess I’ve changed, too."

Well-deserved :)  I think you added a bit of new material in this chapter, and I like it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Well-deserved :)  I think you added a bit of new material in this chapter, and I like it!

Thank you. I loved this line...glad you did, too.

Edited by mjcmmv

6 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

I think you added a bit of new material in this chapter, and I like it!

Thanks. Added a lot, actually. Especially upcoming 

• Like 1

Chapter 2: Reinvention                                     Music: “Pride” by Syntax

January 23rd, 1992
0800: OCB Headquarters
Sonny 

Trudy was getting Sonny up to speed with the new office routines and he had to admit, he was enjoying it. He had always been fond of her, treating her like a kid sister in the old days and she in turn, had seemed convinced he could do no wrong. 

The Trudy he saw today was more mature. She was confident, poised and knew how to get things done. He was impressed. Now it was his turn to do a little hero-worshiping. 

“Here you go,” she said early one morning.  Sonny groaned when he saw the thick book in her hand. 

“There are quite a few changes in the way things get done around here. Not that you ever paid much attention to correct procedure. At least now you can say you’ve read about it.”

He had just opened to the chapter on ‘Standards of Conduct’ when he noticed a guy in a three-piece suit planting himself on the edge of Gina’s desk. He must have said something funny because her eyes were scrunched up and her whole body shook with laughter. Sonny found the scene unsettling.

“That’s Eric Rivera, one of O’Brien’s Assistant DA’s,” Trudy told him in a hushed tone. “They’ve been going out for about a year, now. Didn’t Gina mention him?”

Crockett was annoyed. “Well, she hasn’t said much to me about anything,” he told her. “I suppose that's Gina's way of putting me in my place.”

“You didn’t think she was waiting around for you all this time, did you?”

“No.”

“You don't have a leg to stand on with this one, Sonny. You gave up your right to protest about her love-life a long time ago.”

Bullshit!  The word was on his lips, but he wouldn’t give Trudy the satisfaction to hear him say it, so he kept it to himself.

He began to study this new threat from his vantage point across the room. Like it or not, he was forced to admit Rivera had class. The man seemed charming and witty. His suits were imported and cut perfectly to fit his lean, hard body. His smile was wide and inviting; every hair on his head seemed to know exactly where it belonged. 

And it didn’t take much to see how Gina felt about him.

“Are you hungry?” the lawyer asked her.

Crockett saw the dazed expression on her face and cringed. 

“Starved!” she answered. 

He looked back down at the Metro Dade Procedure Manual and refused to watch them leave. When he caught sight of Trudy’s grin, he glared back at her in silence.

“Time to retrench, Sonny." She walked over and put her hand on his shoulder. “First step, repair the friendship. Then, bury the bitter, cynical cop routine. Keep the conversation upbeat. Be patient.”

Sonny frowned.

“It won’t be so hard, Crockett.”

“Uh huh.”

“Eric is a sweet guy,” she continued. “And, I must say, he certainly has Gina all figured out.”

“Okay, why don’t you tell me what that means, or do I have to play twenty questions?”

“Now, you see, Crockett? That’s what I mean. Sarcasm. You may not want to believe this, but I’ve been rooting for you since the beginning.”

“You have? With all the dirty looks you’ve been sending my way lately, I was beginning to think I was public enemy number one.”

“That wasn’t disapproval, Sonny. It was frustration. I’ve watched the two of you ignoring each other these last few weeks, trying to pretend it’s over. You’re both in pain, for God’s sake!”

“I don’t crawl. It’s not my style.”

Trudy breathed out slowly and leaned toward him. “As usual, your pride gets in the way. I thought you were trying to show her things were different.” There was a hint of disappointment in her eyes. “You know, I stayed up plenty of nights hearing that girl say how much she missed you. You don’t deserve her if you keep acting this way.”

He glanced over at Gina’s empty desk.  “What am I supposed to think when I see this guy show up and she skips off with him for a night on the town? Not exactly pining, now, is she.”

“He came along when she was at a low point in her life. Wined and dined her for a year, and then, tried to get her to take a ring. She turned him down flat. Told him it wouldn’t be fair. What do you think she meant by that?”

She could tell from Sonny’s startled expression, her remark had hit pay-dirt. “She never got over you, although she won’t admit it. Trust my instincts on this one, Crockett. You won’t be sorry.”

Sonny sighed as he watched Trudy retreat to her desk. 

Maybe so, but how do you compete with a thoroughbred when you’re hobbled by a bad attitude and day-old stubble? 

Sonny stood up and grabbed his coat off the back of his chair. 

“Going somewhere, partner?” Rico asked.

“Yeah, I’ve had it for the day. I’m out of here.”

“Want some company?”

Sonny’s angry expression was enough to scare most people away. But Rico understood him better than anyone and right now, it was clear Sonny could use a friend.

Whiskey Joe’s
Sonny 

He could tell Rico was watching him and it was starting to piss him off.

Yeah. That’s right. I’m having another drink!  

He brought the glass of bourbon to his lips and tossed the liquor down his throat.

“So, she’s putting you to the test, is that it?” Rico was asking.

“Something like that. At least, that’s what Trudy’s telling me. I don’t know, Rico. Maybe I’ve lost too much ground. Maybe she’s had enough and wants something better.”

“Naw. She’s hurt, that’s all. Wants to let you know how it feels.”

“Yeah. Great.”

“Listen. She’s number one now, only she doesn’t know it yet. At least, not by the way you’ve been acting around her. Where’s that famous Crockett charm? You should show her you’re the soul of romance, my man. Guaranteed to go a long way with a woman like Gina.”

“I don’t know. She’s seeing that lawyer, Rivera, and from the way she looks at him, he’s the one with all the charm.” Crockett drained his glass and signaled to the bartender for another. 

“That won’t help, Sonny.” Rico glanced at Sonny, as if expecting a nasty comment for his bluntness.

Crockett didn’t disappoint. 

“Don’t recall asking you to monitor my bad habits, Rico. Since when did you feel a need to comment on my drinking?”

“Whoa, buddy. Let’s not make this into a battle between us. I thought you might want to keep a clear head, considering the topic. If you just want to feel sorry for yourself, then maybe you don’t need me after all.”

“Fine with me,” Sonny growled. “Take a hike if that’s how you feel.”

Rico slid off the bar stool and started to put money on the bar, when Sonny reached over and caught the sleeve of his jacket. “Hold it, man. I’m sorry. I know you’re just trying to help.”

Rico got back up on the bar stool and asked the bartender for a seltzer with lime. Sonny did a double-take. “You’re kidding, right?”

“Don’t knock it,” Rico fired back. “You should try it once in a while, instead of that Black Jack you love so much.  Might sweeten your personality a little.”

“So, now you’re saying I’m difficult to get along with?” Crockett was having a hard time keeping a straight face. 

“Sometimes. But I’m not the sensitive type, my friend. Unfortunately, Gina’s a different story.”

The bartender placed the glass of bourbon on the bar and Sonny ran his finger around the rim of the glass. 

“Just one more.” He glanced over at Rico and saw the concern in his eyes. “It’s okay. It’s only my third.”

“Ah, no, Sonny. More like your seventh.”

“So, you’ve been keeping count. Nice.” 

“Just want to make sure you make it home in one piece.”

“Yeah. Okay, thanks.” 

He took a sip of the bourbon. This time, he let it linger on his tongue and felt the euphoria embrace him. 

Then, he remembered. Tomorrow morning was his first appointment with the VA counselor. Hiding a hangover wasn’t going to be easy.  

He shrugged. I’ll pull it off somehow. 

Sonny looked around him and noticed the room had taken on a rosy glow. He felt warm and secure.  At last, he had reached the moment when nothing was going to bother him for the rest of the night. He took another sip.

Rico was talking.  Sonny wanted to answer, but now, he was having trouble putting a simple sentence together.  The music from the overhead speakers started to recede into the distance. The noise from the crowded bar was muffled. It was as if his world had suddenly been wrapped in thick, white cotton.

“Ah, hell,” he muttered. 

“Sonny ...” Rico pulled on his sleeve. “It’s time to go. Let’s split.”

Crockett drained the glass and threw money down on the bar. As he slid off the barstool, Rico caught him before he slipped to the floor.  He probably should have been embarrassed but at that moment, nothing seemed to be making much sense. 

“Come on, partner,” Rico was saying. “I’ll drive you home.”

The ride back to the boat was a blur. All he could remember, was Rico easing him onto the bed and pulling off his shoes.

“Maybe I should stay,” Rico muttered. 

“Naw, one more drink, and I’ll be good as new.”

“Yeah, right.” Rico answered with a laugh.  “Guess I’m staying.” 

Sonny woke up several hours later with a blinding headache and a stomach that was rumbling dangerously. Scraps of the previous night’s conversation hit him hard. 

"The booze makes you nasty, Sonny. You've got to tone down that part of your life."

He’d heard it before. The docs in rehab had tried their best to get him to see it. 

Bleary-eyed, he sat up and reached for his cigarettes. He lit up with a flick of his lighter, and inhaled the tobacco deep into his chest. He thought again about a nightcap. 

What I really need right now is some aspirin and a good night’s sleep…

He stumbled to the bathroom and passed Rico, asleep on the couch. 

“Sorry, buddy,” he murmured. “Hope I didn’t wake ya.”  Rico continued to snore softly.

Somehow, he made it up to the deck and collapsed onto a chair. A few stars were out, and a full moon shimmered on the rippling water. He stared at the boats around him and finished his cigarette, trying to put it all together. 

It was simple. He wanted Gina back, she was involved with someone else and he didn’t have a clue how to change it.

Trudy told him he had work to do; Rico warned him about his bad habits. They were both right. Drinking himself into a stupor wasn’t going to fix anything. The liquor clouded his judgement, made him say things he didn’t mean. 

And then, there's Castillo….Yeah, no room for any mistakes with him. If he kept this up, he wouldn’t have a job left either.

It was almost five am. Despite his upset stomach, he took some pain-killers and downed them with a large glass of cold water. Then, he showered and shaved, determined to put on a good face and make it into work before the rest of the crew got in. He left a note for Rico, thanking him for bailing him out the night before. His car was still at the bar, so he called a cab.

Once he got moving, he felt pretty good, but he knew that was because he was still a bit drunk. He’d been there before. And he knew the worst of the hangover was just biding its time, deciding when to pounce. 

He pushed open the swinging doors and burst into the office. Stan was the only one in so far. 

“Crockett … is that really you?” The boom of Stan's voice made Sonny wince.

“Yeah, Stan. It’s me. Pipe down and I’ll make us some coffee before the rest of the crowd gets here.”  

Stan seemed shocked. “You feeling okay, Sonny? 

“Yeah, why?”

“Well, I’m used to a Crockett who arrives a hair before nine, hasn’t really shaved and acts like he just rolled out of bed. That’s not what I see here. And…to top it all off, now you’re making the coffee! Maybe I should take your temperature.”

“Very funny. Now get the sugar and milk and shut your trap before I change my mind.”

He took a break around eight and grabbed another cab to the VA. Even though his eyes were blood shot and his head had started to pound again, he was confident he would still make a good impression. 

The counselor was  a no-nonsense type who asked a few questions at first, then let Sonny do most of the talking. He told his story, pausing ever now and then to see if the man wanted to make a comment. Instead, the guy sat there, quietly observing and just nodding his head every once in a while. 

After forty-five minutes into the session, Sonny breathed a sigh of relief. He was convinced he had dodged another bullet. That is, until it was time to leave. 

“Next week. Eight o’clock,” the  man said. He handed him a business card. “Here’s my number if things get rough.”

“Yeah. Thanks.”

“And Sonny.”

Crockett looked up. 

“Show up sober next time, okay?”

Starting the next morning, his campaign began. 
Instead of his usual gruffness, his tone with Gina was friendly. At one point, he offered to help her with a case she was on and went out of his way to praise her investigative technique. Simple gestures, but he had to start somewhere.

As the week went on, he hoped his thoughtful behavior would be enough to keep her off balance. He left some wildflowers on her desk. He told her he liked her perfume. He reminded her how beautiful it was to see the Miami skyline from the deck of the St. Vitus, 'especially when there was a full moon'. Now, he caught her studying him with an amused expression. Once or twice, he thought he noticed a sparkle in her eyes, when he smiled at her.

One afternoon, when he saw Rivera making his way through the squad room toward Gina’s desk, he realized the best weapon at his disposal had been in front of his nose all along. Gritting his teeth, Sonny stood.  “Ah, excuse me. Counselor?”

Eric Rivera  looked startled.

“The name’s Crockett. Sonny Crockett. I’ve wanted to meet you, ever since I heard about your, ah … about your expertise in the courtroom.”

“Don’t remember seeing you around before, Sonny,” Eric said as he pumped Sonny’s hand.

“Well, I was reassigned to “Vice” recently. I’d been away a few years down in the Keys on a sort of fact-finding mission. So, I guess for now, the best way to put it is, I’m making a comeback.”

“I see. Well, it’s always good to work with a well-seasoned investigator.” 

He made eye contact with Gina. “If you’ll excuse me, I see the lady I’m here to meet. Again, nice to make your acquaintance.”

“Likewise,” Crockett muttered.

Rico let out a low whistle. “Well that was an ‘encounter of the third kind’. I thought you were planning to push Mr. Rivera off a twenty-story building.”

“Yeah, well I was, but I thought I’d try the subtle approach first: ‘kill him with kindness’.”

“Round one for Crockett,” he heard Trudy mutter. 

Gina came over to his desk after Eric left to get the car.

“So, what are you up to tonight?” she asked, glancing down at all the papers on his desk. 

“Not much. After I’m done here, I might catch up on some of the new clubs. Thought I’d talk Rico into coming along for the ride.”

“Oh. Well, enjoy yourself. I’ll see you Thursday, then. I’m off tomorrow.”

“Uh huh. Okay. Have a good one.”

He watched as she left through the swinging doors and wondered to himself if he had just witnessed a shift in the wind.

After several weeks, he was sure things were better between them. Until Rivera showed up one  Friday with a small suitcase and an overly-confident grin plastered on his face.

“Are you ready?” he asked as he kissed her on the cheek.

“Yup. Soon as I clear off my desk.”

Sonny rubbed his hand over his chin, annoyed with himself for not taking the time to shave. 

“Have a nice weekend everyone,”  Gina called out, to no one in particular. 

“I guess it’s going to take a bit more than an attitude adjustment,” Sonny muttered under his breath.

“Time and patience, Crockett,” Trudy whispered as she came up behind him. “She waited for you. You owe her that much.”

“Yeah, sure, Trudy,” he grumbled. “Bullshit!” he thought. 

Again, he kept the expletive to himself.

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

“And Sonny.”

Crockett looked up. 

“Show up sober next time, okay?”

Nice!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Stan seemed shocked. “You feeling okay, Sonny? 

“Yeah, why?”

“Well, I’m used to a Crockett who arrives a hair before nine, hasn’t really shaved and acts like he just rolled out of bed. That’s not what I see here. And…to top it all off, now you’re making the coffee! Maybe I should take your temperature.”

Love this, too!

• Haha 4

The end of Part 1: Chapters 3 and 4

Chapter 3: Darlin’                                Music: Teardrop by Civil Twilight

Gina

This was too much. Despite her determination to keep her distance, Sonny’s attempts to charm her had stirred up feelings she thought were buried long ago.

She was curious why his efforts were so intense. Was it his pride, jealousy, or did he really care? Watching the interaction between Eric and Sonny seemed almost surreal. This was not the Sonny Crockett she remembered. That Sonny was cynical, cocky, and way too sure of himself. The humility she saw in him that day had shocked her. 

Do you really think things will be different this time? 

She wanted to laugh and say, ‘Of course not.” But it was impossible to deny she she still cared about him.

Damn you for doing this to me again … why couldn’t you just stay away!

Then, there was Eric. She refused to forget he was the one who rescued her; the one who loved her these past three years.  She wasn’t about to let their romance cool just yet. 

Trudy showed up at her desk one morning while Sonny and Rico were reviewing a case with Castillo.  “Enough, Gina,” she began. “Sonny’s paid his dues. I’m starting to feel sorry for the guy.”

“What makes you think I want him back in my life?”

Trudy gave her a disdainful look. “Girlfriend, this is Trudy you’re talking to, and I know you a lot better than anyone. You forget. I’m the one who listened to you cry about him for three long years. You’re not fooling me. The chemistry is still there. You’ve got it bad, and so does he.”

“Been talking to him about me, Trudy?” Gina asked her one eyebrow arched.

“As a matter of fact, just the other day I brought him up to speed on your love life. He had no idea how busy you’ve been since he left.” Trudy leaned closer to Gina with mischief in her eyes. “Guess I gave him something to think about.”

“Trudy!”

“Never mind ... now he’s on the hook, and you have me to thank.”

“You’re forgetting about Eric. He’s still very much in the picture.”

“Uh, huh. Right. Well, okay, if you want to try and convince yourself he’s the one, that’s your business. If I were you, I’d listen to that worn-out heart of yours and figure out who’s really going to make you happy. Only please don’t torture Sonny too much longer.  He’s starting to look a little desperate.”

******

The Royal Palm Resort, South Beach

Eric put her bag in the trunk and opened the car door. He smiled at her as she slid into the passenger seat. 

“All set?” he asked as he put the key in the ignition. 

“Yes, thanks. The car’s nice and cool, too. A real relief from the heat.”

“Guess it’s a good thing we’ll be by the water. We’ll have to make sure to get outside at least once this weekend.” He gave her a playful grin. 

A few months ago, she would have welcomed this opportunity to spend time alone with Eric. But now, she had so much emotional turmoil, the doubt was torturing her. 

“Why so quiet?” Eric asked.

She glanced at him. “Just tired.” 

He squeezed her hand. “That’s okay. This weekend will take care of that.” 

The suite Eric reserved had an ocean view and she wandered out to the balcony to drink in the scent of the sea. He came up behind her and put his hands on her shoulders. 

“What’s on your mind, darlin’?” he asked. 

Gina cringed. “Do me a favor, Eric. Please don’t call me that. It brings back memories I’m trying to forget.”

“What? You mean “darlin'”? I don’t understand.”

“Please. Just don’t say it. I mean it.” She had to give the man credit. He knew enough not to press the issue.

“So. What do you think of this place?” he asked, quickly changing the subject. 

“It’s perfect.” 

He lifted her chin with a finger.  “I’m glad you like it.” Then, he kissed her. 

The kiss should have filled her with excitement. Instead, she stiffened slightly when she realized the magic wasn’t there. Eric drew his face away and studied her reaction with disappointment.

“It’s been a tough week. I’m sorry,” she said.

“Okay. We can take it slow if you want.” 

He continued to watch her as she made her way over to the porch railing. 

“How about something to drink?” he asked.

Gina hesitated. She wanted to keep a clear head and a careful reign on her emotions. This weekend was going to be her opportunity to make some serious decisions.

“Ok, maybe a glass of wine.”

She thought she detected a slight hint of annoyance on his face, but he recovered quickly before she could be sure.

“Coming right up, dar… I mean, sweetheart.”

Any other time, she would have laughed at his little slip and teased him about it, but this time, she frowned and turned away. “I’d like to unpack, and freshen up a bit,” she told him. She fled from the balcony and into the bathroom. She glanced at herself in the mirror and was startled to see how haggard her face had become. She pinched her cheeks and applied fresh lipstick before going back out to face Eric’s attempts to lighten the mood.

He was waiting for her on the couch and he handed her a glass of champagne. “So, to us?” he asked, leaning over to click his glass gently against her own.

“To us,” she repeated. 

The feeling of bubbles fighting in her throat irritated her and she put the glass on the coffee table. “It’s good. But I asked for wine. I’m not sure I can tolerate champagne right now. ”This time, she saw the anger. 

“I guess there isn’t much I’ve done right so far, is there, Gina.”

“Eric. Don’t.” she nestled against him. 

“That’s more like it,” he said. He picked up her hand and kissed her palm, lingering there for just a moment. “Gina, it’s been so long. I’ve missed you.” 

“I thought about us a lot this last week,” she said.

“You did?” he said, misunderstanding her meaning. “I’m glad.” He pulled her closer. 

“God, I want you,” he murmured in her ear. “Come on … let’s go to bed.” He stood and tugged her gently to her feet. She held back a little but finally let him coax her toward the bedroom. 

When they reached the doorway, he stopped and kissed her. Gina broke away. She could feel his eyes on her, and she knew he was confused. 

The housekeeping staff had placed chocolates and a rose on one of the pillows. The spread was already folded down to the bottom of the bed. She watched as Eric removed his jacket and tie and draped it carefully on an upholstered chair. Then, he took off his shirt and did the same. As she watched, she caught herself daydreaming.  Sonny would have just pulled off his tee shirt and thrown it in the corner. The memory made her smile.

She unbuttoned her blouse and let it fall to the floor. She stared down at it for a minute, knowing it would be a wrinkled mess if she let it stay there. For some reason, it didn’t seem to matter. 

“You really are something,” Eric said, his eyes traveling over her body as she slipped off her skirt.  She sat on the bed and waited for him to come closer. The air conditioner began to hum. The sudden chill in the room made her shiver. 

Shadows deepened with the approaching twilight. Soon, the stars would be out. Maybe even a full moon. She felt distracted, restless. Eric was beside her, unfastening her bra. 

“Come,” he said, inviting her to lie down beside him. She slid under the sheets. The soft pillow surrounded her head and she smelled some kind of flowery soap that almost made her dizzy. She tried to get comfortable, then turned to face him. 

His kiss was soft, gentle, almost chaste. Eric had always been a slow and deliberate lover and until tonight, she had managed to make excuses for his lack of passion. But now, the memories of Sonny’s lusty foreplay came flooding back to haunt her.  She held her breath when he began to kiss her neck. 

“I love you, you know,” he whispered in her ear. 

“I know.”

“And you love me, too. Say it, Gina. Say you love me.” When she didn’t answer, he stopped.

“Gina. Say it.” Now, he was searching her face, as if hoping for a sign that she cared.

“I … I can’t.”

He sat up. “What do you mean you can’t?" Now, she was fighting back tears. 

“Damn, it, Gina! I thought you wanted this!”

Now the tears flowed. 

Disgusted, he swung his legs over the edge of the bed and ran his fingers through his hair.  “I don’t get it. What the hell did I do wrong?”  

“You didn’t do anything wrong. It’s me. It’s my fault!”

He laughed. “So now what? Is this where you tell me it’s not going to work?” 

She felt as if she was ripping off a bandage. She didn’t want to hurt this man, but there was no other way. “We need to talk. Away from here. This place is depressing me.”

“So, I guess that answers my question.” 

She knew he was angry.

******

Eric sat behind the wheel, brooding in silence. He pushed the car to the max, skidding a few times on the rain-slicked highway before Gina put her hand on his arm. 

“Slow down, please,” she pleaded.

He pulled over to the side of the road and switched off the ignition. “Okay. Do you want to tell me what this is all about? You owe me an explanation, Gina.”

“You’re right. I do. Let’s get off at the next exit and stop for a drink.”

He found a restaurant by the water and they picked a quiet table far from the crowded bar. She watched him as he leaned back in his chair, his face calm and thoughtful.

“This was all wrong, Eric,” she began. “When I agreed to this weekend, I thought we could bring things back to life between us. I wish I realized sooner it wasn’t going to happen.”

He picked up his drink and stared at it for a while before he answered.  “It’s that cop, Crockett, isn’t it?” he asked finally.

Her eyes grew wide. 

He laughed.  “I could see the way he looked at us whenever I came up to see you. And once, I caught you looking over at him. That was when I knew I was going to have a fight on my hands. Tell me I’m right, and let’s end this charade. I’m tired of all the pretending.” 

“I thought it was over with him. I was wrong. I’m sorry.” 

He glanced out the window.  “Just let’s say, it was fun while it lasted and part as friends at least.”

Gina reached over to stroke his cheek. “Thank you, Eric” she said.

He took her hand and kissed her palm, the way he had done earlier in the evening. “That bastard’s one lucky guy,” he said. “I hope he realizes what he’s got.”

“It took us both a while to realize it,” she said. The look in her eyes was far away. “But this time…. this time I think we’ll get it right.”

Chapter 4: Champagne and Roses
February 14th, 1992: Miami Marina, The St. Vitus Dance

Sonny

For two days, he stewed aboard the St. Vitus with a fishing pole and a bottle of Jack Daniels at his side. He distracted himself by watching the stars, and worried if the roses he’d sent to Gina’s apartment were too late to make a difference.

The insistent ringing of the phone from the galley annoyed him and he toyed with the idea of ignoring it.

“Sonny? Are you there?” 

He jumped up and darted for the galley stairs. Why the hell didn’t I leave the phone up on the deck  

He missed the bottom step and landed with a thump on his knees, then dove across the table and grabbed the portable phone.  “Hello! Hello,” he shouted.

“Sonny? It’s Gina.”

“Gina, yeah … owe! Right … hi.”

“What happened? Are you alright?”

“Yeah. Fine.” He reached down into the galley freezer and grabbed some ice.

“I got the roses. They’re beautiful,” she told him.

“Glad you like them. I remembered red roses were your favorite.”  Boy, that sounded juvenile  He had never felt so awkward with a woman.

He noticed she was quiet. “Ah, so, how’ve you been?” he asked.

“Actually, I’ve been away.”

Sonny cleared his throat. “Yeah, I know.” He waited for her to pick up the conversation, feeling his pulse quicken.

“I made a mistake, Sonny.. I guess I was confused.”

“Uh, huh.”

“Sonny?”

“Yeah?”

“We could have that talk now. Maybe even tonight, if you want.”

Crockett’s face broke into a lopsided grin. “I’ll be here, darlin’.”

“Give me a chance to unpack.”

“You know, you could save time and bring your suitcase along.”

“Bring it along?”

“Yeah, you know. Your toothbrush, travel alarm, hair dryer. You never know what you might need. And besides, I’m fresh out of hairspray.”

She laughed. “Pretty confident, aren’t you, Crockett.”

“Can’t blame a guy for trying.”

He heard the click in his ear as she hung up the phone. Well, she didn’t say yes. But then again, she didn’t say no…

He noticed some wrappers and take-out boxes scattered across the deck. “Better clean this place up.” He grabbed a pizza box and stuffed it into a plastic garbage bag. Then, he glanced down at his rumpled pants and coffee-stained tee shirt. “And I guess I could use a long, hot shower, not to mention a change of clothes.”

The half-filled bottle of Jack Daniels caught his eye and he paused for a moment. He had found a lot of comfort in that deep amber firewater over the last few years. Even so, it had gotten him into a lot of trouble, too; the kind of trouble he couldn’t afford right now.  He unscrewed the cap and held the bottle up, so it caught the sparkle from the harbor lights. He didn’t need to hear Rico’s warning to decide what came next. 

“This time, you’re gonna work your ass off to make this happen, Crockett,” he muttered.  Then, he flipped the bottle upside down and watched the remainder of the bourbon splash into the bay.

******

Music Intro: “Go Your Own Way” sung by Lissie,,  Album: Covered Up with Flowers

Gina

She drove to the marina, and parked next to Sonny’s car. She tried to stay calm as she watched the St. Vitus bumping gently against the dock. The cabin lights were off. She knew he was on the boat somewhere, waiting for her in the shadows. There was a knot in her stomach; her heart began to thump. Then, she laughed at herself. Wasn’t it only a short time ago, she was saying she was finally over him?

Stupid girl … Once you fell in love with Sonny Crockett, he was a part of your life forever. Even Caroline, his ex-wife, admitted that to her once. But the time between them had been difficult. Even when they had been together, she never knew if he’d stick around from one day to the next.

Then, out of the blue, he married Caitln. Pulled the rug right out from under her with that one! 

Memories from those years when she watched him spiral into depression, came flooding back. He had been so happy with Caitlin and she died so tragically.  Blaming himself, he had turned to the bottle, avoiding everyone for weeks. 

Then came that emotional breakdown into the Burnett identity. His memory eventually came back, but his anger and bitterness remained. There was little left of the endearing qualities that had made him so special to her in the past. His eyes were cold, vacant. At times, he seemed to be looking right through her.

She had confronted him when she heard he was leaving the force, hoping he’d give her some answers. She remembered how she bit her lip in frustration when he refused to meet her eyes. His kiss goodbye was barely a brush against her cheek. For weeks after he left, she waited for a phone call or a letter. The weeks turned into months. And then they stretched into years. 

Rico called her from New York every once in a while, to let her know if he’d heard from his old partner. “Seems like he’s wandering from job to job. He can’t seem to find a place to call home. Be patient, Gina. He’s got a lot of bad history to bury.”

Lieutenant Castillo called her into his office one day and asked her what was on her mind. He was not an emotional man and Gina didn’t expect him to understand. “Sonny, I guess,” was all she said, But Castillo surprised her. “I know him, Gina. He’ll be back. This work is in his blood. He’s too good at the game to stay away forever.”

Her partner, Trudy was less optimistic. “You can’t waste all this time on a dream. Find someone who will care and who will want the same things out of life that you want.”

She tried to date and almost got engaged to Eric, who promised her the moon. She gave the diamond back. “It wouldn’t be fair,” she had told Trudy.

After two years, she decided it was time to forget as best she could. In fact, she was doing a pretty good job of convincing herself he didn’t matter, when late one night, she heard his raspy voice coming out of her answering-machine, telling her he was coming back to OCB. Her first impulse was to just erase the message, but he sounded so broken and lost. She dialed him back and left a message. He never returned the call.

Damn him and his tortured-soul routine!

The full moon cast a shimmering glow over the bay, reminding her of much happier times. The romance of the moment beckoned to her. Her instincts told her to run; her foolish heart kept her frozen in her seat. Gina rested her head against the steering wheel and closed her eyes. It was no use. She couldn’t face another sleepless night, tossing and turning with indecision. 

Opening the car door, she swung her legs around to the pavement, feeling herself drawn to the sound of the waves lapping against the boat. She’d forgotten how enticing the St. Vitus could be. Climbing aboard, she kicked off her sandals and stepped barefoot onto the deck. “Hey, girl. Did you miss me?” she whispered, smiling as she ran her hand along the teak railing. She could hear the boat groan as it tilted with the outgoing tide.

“Sonny?” she called out. 

A bell from a channel marker rang mournfully in the distance. For a moment, she wondered if he might already be asleep. Thinking back to their phone conversation, she worried he might have been drinking when she called.

Great!

That meant he was either polluted and gearing up for a nasty argument or passed out cold in the stateroom below. Gina could feel the heat of anger flushing her cheeks.

Sonny, if you’ve spoiled this …

“Hey, beautiful.” He stood near the stairway to the galley watching her, an amused grin on his face.

“Don’t do that!” she laughed, relieved to see him alert and sober.

“Never can be too careful. Thought I heard someone sneaking on board.” He took her hand and led her over to the deck chairs by the railing. “So, is that what you were doing? Sneaking on board?” he asked.

“I told you I’d be over.”

“That was two hours ago. And you never said it was definite. In fact, you kind of hung up in my ear.”

“Your question caught me off guard.”

“Speaking of which, where is your suitcase?”

She glanced over at him. “Let’s take it one step at a time, Sonny.”

“Fair enough. Would you like something cold to drink? Are you hungry?”

“As a matter of fact, I’m starved! I completely forgot to …”

His hand went up to quiet her. “Not a problem.”

He lit the hurricane lantern on a small table. Two glasses rested alongside a bottle of champagne chilling in a bucket of ice. “I’ve been saving this for a special occasion,” he told her as he prepared to open it. The loud pop was startling and they both laughed as the foam bubbled over in a rush. He poured a generous amount in each glass and set the bottle back in the bucket.

“So. Is this toast to us? Or is that subject still up for negotiation?”

“How about we drink to the future. That will cover a lot of territory.”

“To the future,” he said, tapping his glass against hers. 

“So, what about dinner?” she asked, quickly changing the subject. “Shall we call for Chinese?”

“I’m way ahead of ya, darlin’.” He disappeared down the galley steps, coming back up with a covered tray in his hands. Sonny flicked the linen napkin off to reveal his barbecued “catch of the day” on a platter, with slices of lemon on the side. “There’s a salad and baked potatoes coming up, too. I’ve been slaving over a hot stove ever since you called.”

“I’m impressed, Crockett.” When he touched her shoulder, she put her cheek against his hand. “This was sweet, Sonny.”  The flickering candlelight caught the mischief in his eyes. “Madame,” he said, ushering her into her a deck chair.

They kept the conversation light; laughter floated on the air. 

“Dinner was delicious,” she said. It had been a while since she’d been this happy.

“More champagne?” he asked, reaching over with the half empty bottle.

“I’d better not, Sonny. I have to drive home.”

He returned the bottle to the ice bucket and sat back, looking at her without saying anything.

“Don’t.” she said when she saw the disappointment on his face.

“Can’t we skip all these formalities, Gina? I told you, this time would be different.”

“I need to set the ground rules first.”

“So, tell me. How do you want to play this?”

“This isn’t a game.” She paused for a moment. “And before we continue, I need to know something.”

He looked at her. “Okay.”

“What about Caitlin, Sonny?”

His shoulders stiffened. “She’s gone. You know that.” 

“Yes,” Her voice was soft, soothing. “And I know there’s a part of you that feels responsible for her death. This guilt you’re still carrying around worries me. ”

“It should. I struggle with it every day.”

“Okay. I understand. Everyone grieves at their own pace. What I’m asking is, are you ready to move on to someone else?”

“Gina, come on.” 

“I  mean it, Sonny. You have to be honest with me, and with yourself. You told me once you were over Caroline, and that wasn’t true. This time, you’ll have to prove to me I’m the only one in your life.” 

He seemed heartsick as he glanced out at the water. “That isn’t fair, Gina. I can’t make my feelings for Caitlin disappear. She was a part of me once. That will never change.”

“Well, at least you’re honest.” She wasn’t sure it was what she’d wanted to hear.

“I can’t forget, but I’m learning to dealing with it.” She saw the remorse in his eyes and wondered if the ghosts of his past would ever set him free. He put down his champagne glass and reached for his pack of cigarettes. He drew one out and rolled it over his tongue.

“There’s more I need to tell you.” He was quiet for a moment. “And you might not like what you hear.”

A coldness passed over her.

“While I was down in the Keys, I had a lot of time to think. Think about what had happened to me and what I had done. The discovery left me empty inside. After a few more weeks, I didn’t want to ‘think’ anymore. I set sail one day with only a case of Jack Daniels to keep me company. The plan was, ‘a bottle a day to keep the bad dreams away’. I was determined to drink every one of those damn bottles. I didn’t care if the booze killed me. Hell, I wanted to die.”

He lit the cigarette and drew the smoke deep into his chest.

“Someone down there knew who I was. I found out later, Martin and this guy were buddies. He was keeping an eye on me as a favor to the Lieutenant. When my boat didn’t return after a few days, he set out on his own to track me down. He found me all right. Passed out on the deck and barely breathing. I was in the ICU for three days. They told me I almost died. I don’t remember much. Then, one morning I woke up and there was Castillo, next to the bed, glaring down at me.” He shook his head. “Having Castillo see me like that; man, I was mortified.”

Hot tears stung her eyes. “Sonny, you don’t have to tell me this.”

“No, I do need to tell you, Gina.” 

He flicked more ash over the railing and took another drag. “Martin saved my life, and at first, I wasn’t sure that’s what I wanted.” 

Martin never told me any of this ... 

“Even so, he wouldn’t give up on me. He was brutal that day. Told me he was disappointed seeing me wallowing in self-pity and that I didn’t appreciate what I had — a son who loved me and missed me and loyal friends who were still waiting for me to come back home. Sonny chuckled. “That was a lot for Castillo to say; the man of a thousand words.” 

He paused for a moment. “I thought he was finished, and I turned my head to the wall and bawled like a baby. But he refused to go easy on me.” 

Gina reached over and took his hand.

“He said if Caitlin were alive, she would be disgusted to see the man I had become. He said I owed it to her memory to pull myself together.  I was furious with him for saying that! But deep inside, I knew he was right.”  

A breeze had picked up off the water and Gina was starting to feel chilly, but she didn’t dare say a word for fear she’s break the spell. Instead, she moved closer. He put his arm around her. 

“Martin made arrangements to transfer me to a VA rehab in Lauderdale,” he continued. “I was in for almost two months. It helped. I don’t use the booze to forget anymore. Just an occasional drink to take off the edge.”

She’d heard that routine before. She knew Sonny would always have to fight the demon of alcohol. She hoped he was managing to hold it at bay.

He looked over at her. Then, he stood and pulled her into his arms.

“He was right. Everything I was searching for was right here, waiting for me. My son, my friends, my job … you.”  He kissed her on the forehead. She held onto him for a moment, as if trying to anchor him in place. It felt so good to be close to him again.

“Maybe this time,” she prayed.

“Come back to me, baby!” she heard him say. “Please, Gina. Don’t give up on me now.”

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 2

This is great! I really enjoyed it. Thank you MJ! And well fitting music with "You can go your own way," which I originally know by Fleetwood Mac.  Looking forward to more!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjcmmv said:

“Girlfriend, this is Trudy you’re talking to, and I know you a lot better than anyone. You forget. I’m the one who listened to you cry about him for three long years. You’re not fooling me. The chemistry is still there. You’ve got it bad, and so does he.”

1 hour ago, mjcmmv said:

Stupid girl … Once you fell in love with Sonny Crockett, he was a part of your life forever. Even Caroline, his ex-wife, admitted that to her once.

So good to read this again and to see some of the new material woven in with the story I already loved! 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

So good to read this again and to see some of the new material woven in with the story I already loved! 

Love the lines you're picking, Vicegirl! 

18 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Thank you, Robbie and Summer84. It's fun dragging it out again and reliving the good feelings! 

My first time reading it. You've posted this story before elsewhere?