Oct 2019 MV reboot news from DJ himself!

S.FL84

To be honest, as part of me is excited, the other part of me just wants to leave this "reboot" nonsense alone. It's getting to be so uncreative and most reboots, remakes whatever you want to call it are just bad and usually don't work. Every now and then you may get lucky and get 1 that is decent but for the most part, just leave it alone. Take off those nostalgia goggles and move on, the 80s were 30 years ago and that atmosphere, music, charm and whatever Vice capitalized on and gleamed of isn't going to happen today. I don't really think a Miami Vice reboot will work, let alone actually come to fruition. But under the peculiar circumstance a reboot is officially announced at some point and gets to airing, I don't think it will work well. It was one of those shows that was decade dependent and you're not getting that back and trying to replicate it isn't going to work either today. The whole drug war, epidemic of the 80s is gone now, what will they go after now? Senior citizens who evaded taxes and just so happened to be doing crack in their little bedrooms? I don't know man, this just doesn't seem like a good idea. 

Just make another show in the style of or concept like Vice but please don't call it that because it won't ever be...Miami Vice.

• Like 2

I agree in principle, just like you can't really go home again you can't replicate the magic of the past.  But on the other hand, I would love to see them try.  Even if it flops it will reinvigorate the story of the groundbreaking TV show and a younger generation may look at the original out of curiosity to see what all the excitement is about.

Well you know, Knight Rider flopped 3 times and there ain't no younger generation to check out the original...but I guess, we'll have to see. I'm still really not leaning towards this too, I've seen far too many reboots come and go and fail for me to lose all hope. Although as you said it would probably at least spark an interest in the original again which would be awesome but I don't think it'll be that big of an impact, though it's better than nothing. I just wish we'd get something like a proper videogame out of it, more merch, figures, collectibles etc. if it happened but I'm sure it won't.

I’d rather see a good Vice video game than a reboot. You could get the period right, have the original cast voice themselves, and generally get it right. A TV reboot? As I’ve said before, no thanks. 

• Like 1

You are a bunch of cry-babies...."ah the past,", "ah, the music", "ah the era", "ah the non-blended coke"...How many Bad Boys movies they did til today? Seems they are making more money with Bad Boys franchise than that Miami Vice movie created by the "so called"genius,  Michael Mann.

I just think they should be broadcasted on streaming services, like amazon prime, or netflix. Not so sure if "free" television gives you so much money back as before to become a hit.

1 hour ago, Assasinge said:

Well you know, Knight Rider flopped 3 times and there ain't no younger generation to check out the original...but I guess, we'll have to see. I'm still really not leaning towards this too, I've seen far too many reboots come and go and fail for me to lose all hope. Although as you said it would probably at least spark an interest in the original again which would be awesome but I don't think it'll be that big of an impact, though it's better than nothing. I just wish we'd get something like a proper videogame out of it, more merch, figures, collectibles etc. if it happened but I'm sure it won't.

I do remember Team Knight Rider.  That was atrocious.

• Like 1

IMO the one and only thing that'd work is a 2 hour one-off full cast reunion based on the tried and true narco/terrorism plot, and even then it's appeal would be extremely limited.  Trying to recreate that electricity of SC standing in front of the Carlyle w/ Smits is utterly impossible and doomed to failure.  Its simply 'if you weren't there  you'll never understand' very few today would understand.  MV is what was happening on the streets and at the same time on MTV, in Central America and in clubs/restaurants in every major city in the USA.   Glen Frey did NOT write SMUGGLER'S BLUE because of MV, MV wrote S.B.'s because of Glen Frey and he wrote it because THAT is what was happening on the streets, on MTV and in Central America as well as South Florida.  It simply cannot be recreated no matter how much cash you spend.  I am SOOO glad to have been there and lived it. 

Edited by S.FL84

8 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

You are a bunch of cry-babies...."ah the past,", "ah, the music", "ah the era", "ah the non-blended coke"...How many Bad Boys movies they did til today? Seems they are making more money with Bad Boys franchise than that Miami Vice movie created by the "so called"genius,  Michael Mann.

I just think they should be broadcasted on streaming services, like amazon prime, or netflix. Not so sure if "free" television gives you so much money back as before to become a hit.

Sounds like you're real confident about this, why haven't they approached you to do a reboot then? Clearly we know nothing.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

I actually agree. And also free-to-air TV shows are all generic, they don't use cinematography or high value music. If you look at the hits nowadays, they're all cable/subscription TV. HBO, Showtime, Starz, Netflix, Amazon Prime. These shows are high budget productions and made like movies, which Miami Vice practically invented. Stranger Things on Netflix uses popular 80s music so they must have a decent sized budget. 

If it goes on NBC it'll just end up like the CBS reboots with cringe plot lines and bad score which sounds like it belongs in The Sims. Don't even know what you'd call that genre. If Miami Vice got made into that, it would be a complete failure. 

Maybe if it ends up being on USA Network, which is owned by NBC Universal? I don't know. I'm pretty sure that's on subscription TV but I don't know how TV works in America. Then maybe they can do some Burn Notice crossovers with Sam and Jesse :)  (joking)

16 hours ago, Assasinge said:

To be honest, as part of me is excited, the other part of me just wants to leave this "reboot" nonsense alone. It's getting to be so uncreative and most reboots, remakes whatever you want to call it are just bad and usually don't work. Every now and then you may get lucky and get 1 that is decent but for the most part, just leave it alone. Take off those nostalgia goggles and move on, the 80s were 30 years ago and that atmosphere, music, charm and whatever Vice capitalized on and gleamed of isn't going to happen today. I don't really think a Miami Vice reboot will work, let alone actually come to fruition. But under the peculia circumstance a reboot is officially announced at some point and gets to airing, I don't think it will work well. It was one of those shows that was decadent dependent and you're not getting that back and trying to replicate it isn't going to work either today. The whole drug war, epidemic of the 80s is gone now, what will they go after now? Senior citizens who evaded taxes and just so happened to be doing crack in their little bedrooms? I don't know man, this just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Just make another show in the style of or concept like Vice but please don't call it that because it won't ever be...Miami Vice.

I'd rather have DJ pissing on his own legacy than Vin Diesel doin his thing with it. If Crockett survives longer than Don's 'Whatchmen' character it can't be a failure. And in any case, and particularly if Crockett returns, it HAS to be something totally different, as you can't have a 70 year old guy running around in designer clothes, pretending to be a smart drug runner who's  living the life. And IMO, it should be something totally different. You can't simply carry over the original concept to the present, 'cause it would no longer be the groundbreaking novelty it was back then. And if they'll turn this into some kind of 'Tough Guys' gig, it would be a major disappointment to me. I would like it to be tougher, more intense, picturing the actual way of working of a Vice squad nowadays and the issues they face. But then, where could C&T fit into this picture other than doing only cameos.

56 minutes ago, daytona365 said:

I'd rather have DJ pissing on his own legacy than Vin Diesel doin his thing with it. If Crockett survives longer than Don's 'Whatchmen' character it can't be a failure. And in any case, and particularly if Crockett returns, it HAS to be something totally different, as you can't have a 70 year old guy running around in designer clothes, pretending to be a smart drug runner who's  living the life. And IMO, it should be something totally different. You can't simply carry over the original concept to the present, 'cause it would no longer be the groundbreaking novelty it was back then. And if they'll turn this into some kind of 'Tough Guys' gig, it would be a major disappointment to me. I would like it to be tougher, more intense, picturing the actual way of working of a Vice squad nowadays and the issues they face. But then, where could C&T fit into this picture other than doing only cameos.

You cant? Thats right. Bad Boys is Miami Vice with two rappers. 

• Haha 1

too much idolatry harms the religion. this is what milleniums tell us, and this is what lot of post on MV theme tell us. because you"re badly in love with something, it should get stuck endlessly. that 'idolatry' is typically at the complete opposite of the 80s. if you consider fashion, or music of that era, everything was new back then, and innovant

so IMHO, saying a reboot can't be, because of Vin Diesel, because of DJ age, or because the lack of drug lords are just cheap arguments. there's lot of criminality in Miami, and we live an era where there are numerous themes to explore. creativity has no limit. you can make a flower, with some poo

(side note: that interview has been reviewed already)

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 2

I dont care about old dogmas, i just want a good new series blessed by Don and Philip.

Mann had his chance and blew it. By the way..whos making more money these days? Mann or Vin Diesel? And if the story is true, Vin Diesel is out. 

55 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

too much idolatry harms the religion. this is what milleniums tell us, and this is what lot of post on MV theme tell us. because you"re badly in love with something, it should get stuck endlessly. that 'idolatry' is typically at the complete opposite of the 80s. if you consider fashion, or music of that era, everything was new back then, and innovant

so IMHO, saying a reboot can't be, because of Vin Diesel, because of DJ age, or because the lack of drug lords are just cheap arguments. there's lot of criminality in Miami, and we live an era where there are numerous themes to explore. creativity has no limit. you can make a flower, with some poo

(side note: that interview has been reviewed already)

I would in fact very much welcome an exiting, fresh and innovative new series, just not the type of dull rehash that was done with Hawaii 5-0, Lethal Weapon and Magnum PI. To me that's not creative. That's just uninspired squeezing of a few more bucks out of something which was successful and original, by damaging it's uniqueness. In my very personal opinion, it's also an offense to the achievements of the people who have created that work. And I think those people in here who object to the idea of a reboot are just concerned that this might be exactly what's going to happen with Vice. It's fear of undignified handling of something we all here love.

I did like the style of the 2005 movie btw. and could picture this being adapted for a series. Just without reusing/abusing the original characters.

• Like 2

• Administrators

We can all dream but I think this dream would become a nightmare. I agree with what another member said about the show being "decade dependent"  I mean, can you really picture the show without 80's music or Jan Hammer? I can't, and I think today's audience would tire very quickly of the drug deal of the week.    If they did a reboot with the original cast I think we would all just be saying to ourselves "look how old they all got"  

No thanks, leave it alone. No need to tarnish the memory of a great show.

• Like 5

I don’t care about a reunion because there have been shows after Vice with better writing and there’s already a spiritual descendant of Vice on the air now. If you’re going to revive something, do a damned good video game. You can recreate everything there and odds are it would be significantly better than anything you’d see on TV. Video games give you the opportunity to recreate the 80s feel and it would be expected and celebrated instead of being mocked. 

• Like 1

this is a TV series, this is not the 10 commandments neither. i think most of reboots fail because the fans tend to put too much pressure onto the producers. like, you can't imitate God, you will fail miserably

MV is a good series with good moments, but this is not perfection neither. it's made by humans, with humans. this is not even judging by the cover, this is judging before even having seen the cover

what i'm trying to say, it's that i find the 'deification' of MV a bit insane, not to say silly (my 2c)

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, Ferrariman said:

We can all dream but I think this dream would become a nightmare. I agree with what another member said about the show being "decade dependent"  I mean, can you really picture the show without 80's music or Jan Hammer? I can't, and I think today's audience would tire very quickly of the drug deal of the week.    If they did a reboot with the original cast I think we would all just be saying to ourselves "look how old they all got"  

No thanks, leave it alone. No need to tarnish the memory of a great show.

I don't know if it was someone here that said it or somewhere else but I always discuss with my friends that reboots and remakes of good classic shows just need to stop. It's basically "Hollywood's got the money, but creatively? They're bankrupt." Like please just give me new, original content I can stick my guns to. I don't want the crappy film industry always trying to make a cheap buck by reviving old shows that were successful in the 70s, 80s or 90s. Whatever it be, but you get my point. I'm so tired of this cycle for nearly 10 years now and it doesn't help that 95% of these reboots or remakes just fail or are really garbage anyway.

Just stop. I want new, original content that I can become a fan of rather than constant rehashing of successful franchises that ended when they should have timely.

• Like 2

Superheroes movies are all the same and make lots of money. Hawaii 5.0 its crap? So why they did 6 seasons? A new vice series wouldnt tarnish the classics. You have it already. The max you can get is one season and bye. The question is...how to envelope the idea? Where to broadcast it? Sometimes i think today the use of drugs is less a boogeyman idea than it was in the 80s. And this can make the show kinda without purpose. But Don back to vice? And if possible with a pmt cameo or role, and a new generation of cops? Of course i want to see it. And if doesnt works? Heck, its better lose a game with Don than accept colin farrel as crockett and be bundled as double pack with Universal Soldier dvd.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

But Don back to vice? And if possible with a pmt cameo or role, and a new generation of cops? Of course i want to see it. And if doesnt works? Heck, its better lose a game with Don than accept colin farrel as crockett and be bundled as double pack with Universal Soldier dvd.

While I still stick to my sentiments here, I can at least agree on this lol. There's only 1 thing I hope that can come out of this if this reboot ever happens, I want a real Miami Vice game and not the botchjob that was Davilex's doing.

• Like 2

I agree w/ the member who said how out of time and out of style MV would be today.  It was, as I've said repeatedly numerous times before, the right show at the right time.  You simply cannot recreate that magic.  It was all new, MTV which is what the show basically was which was a music video come to life in a crime drama, the music was new and socially relevant to what was happening in the world and on the streets of Miami, the format was new never before had popular music been fused w/ a crime drama that reflected the message of that particular song.  Cocaine was a very cool thing to do....THEN as strange as that seems now and cocaine came from South America where the final capitalists vs. communists war was waged and coke helped pay for that war as Glenn Frey's SMUGGLER'S BLUES said "...its proppin' up the governments of Columbia & Peru, you ask any DEA man he say's there's nothing we can do".  A one-off made for TV movie is the one and only thing I see possibly working.  Certainly not another MV wannnabe series that would destroy the image of MV.

• Like 1

I think that may have been me who said that. Anyway, going off of what S.FL84 is saying, specifically the MTV part, you can't recreate the groundbreaking magic the show created in its prime. It was a matter of the right place, right time and right everything basically. And as you say "a music video come to life in a crime drama" is perfectly describing it. Today, if the show were to be aired it wouldn't have that same impact not in the US only but on Hollywood and around the world. Hell the cineme style itself inspired so many TV shows and movies down the line to be like it or in the vein of. Now? Pssht, it's worse than a damn cookie cutter.

However I don't think a supposed reboot would "destroy the image of MV" unless it was somehow worse than Ghostbusters 2016, but I've seen enough Knight Rider reboots (3 at that) to know that this most likely just isn't going to work. The show was too limited and decade dependent to survive past the 80s, I don't know if it would've worked in the 90s if they tried even. That's just my 2 cents though.

Edited by Assasinge

1 hour ago, Assasinge said:

While I still stick to my sentiments here, I can at least agree on this lol. There's only 1 thing I hope that can come out of this if this reboot ever happens, I want a real Miami Vice game and not the botchjob that was Davilex's doing.

I agree with the game idea 100%. As far as TV goes, I'll just repeat what I said earlier: there have been shows since Vice with far better writing. In terms of style, there is already a spiritual descendent of Vice on TV (NCIS LA). Edgy plot lines? The Shield already crushed that as far as network TV goes. Streaming? It would get lost in the clutter inside of five minutes.

But a game...especially if it was well done. That would stand out. You could go back to the original themes and content, use the original cast for voicing, and hit the proper decade tone with no issues. Even the same music and not some bad rehash or 'updated' crap. Games also have better 'legs' when it comes to staying power. Get a company like Rockstar behind it and you'd have serious power no TV studio could match.

Games IMO are just like all the other commercialization and capitalization on the magic that simply CANNOT be recreated.  It would be just another wannabe form.  That magic in the air everyone w/ a pulse felt when the camera settled on SC in the badass HUGO BOSS suit standing on the steps of the Carlyle Hotel.  It was & always will be in one word ELECTRIC.

Edited by S.FL84
  • Haha 1