Music made exclusivly for MV ?

Orson-Fader

Is there a list of music especially made for MV ?  

I'm watching season 2 (bought and paid) and heard  Karla Bonoff - Cold Wind Blow and I know of smugglers blues but are there any more ? (apart from Jan Hammer and Tim Truman)

• Like 2

Here’s a few that come to mind:

”Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”, “Only in Miami”, and “All Night Long” were all recorded by the cover band Mirage seen in the pilot. 

”Self Control” and “Some Guys Have All the Luck” by the cover band in “The Great McCarthy”

“Today’s a New Beginning” and “You Want More” for “Give a Little, Take a Little”

”Love is for Sale” in “Dutch Oven”

”Water’s Too Deep” in “The Fix”

”Valhalla” from “Viking Bikers”

The unbearable songs that Leona sings in “Amen...”

Some of the Caitlin songs in season 4 (also unbearable :) )

What am I missing guys?

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Instrumental version of "Mercy" used in Stone's War

Cover of "I Got you Babe" recorded for "Like a Hurricane"

Instrumental track played live by David's band in bar in "Dutch Oven"

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

”Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”, “Only in Miami”, and “All Night Long” were all recorded by the cover band Mirage seen in the pilot. 

”Self Control” and “Some Guys Have All the Luck” by the cover band in “The Great McCarthy”

“Today’s a New Beginning” and “You Want More” for “Give a Little, Take a Little”

What am I missing guys?

”Water’s Too Deep” in “The Fix” is such a wonderful song. Such a shame it was never released into the mainstream music charts, its like a classic Marvin Gaye track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crockettt said:

Instrumental version of "Mercy" used in Stone's War

Cover of "I Got you Babe" recorded for "Like a Hurricane"

Instrumental track played live by David's band in bar in "Dutch Oven"

Also some instrumental of “Lives in the Balance” in Stone’s War

• Like 1

In a sense, "You Belong To The City" by Glenn Frey was also made especially for Vice, unlike the other songs however it was publicly released. The official video features a few clips from the episode "The Prodigal Son", for which it was specifically written and recorded.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Orson-Fader said:

this one also....

This is one of the only times I remember a song other than the MV theme being played over the end credits. 

Thought of another one:

”Jammin’” in Cool Runnin’

Not sure if the band at the bar is what we’re hearing (like “Mirage” in the pilot), but that’s definitely not the Bob Marley recording. This was recorded exclusively for the episode.   

Edited by Dadrian

• Administrators

Wasn't Don Johnson's Streetwise made for Miami Vice? It wasn't on any of his own albums, only the Miami Vice soundtrack album?

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 12:52 PM, Dadrian said:

What am I missing guys?

Quite a selection.

On 3/12/2020 at 12:52 PM, Dadrian said:

What am I missing guys?

The great “No Way Out” from Freefall by Tim Truman and Don Johnson. 

Edited by Matt5

On 3/12/2020 at 2:01 PM, RedDragon86 said:

”Water’s Too Deep” in “The Fix” is such a wonderful song. Such a shame it was never released into the mainstream music charts, its like a classic Marvin Gaye track.

A real Shame this was never released.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James said:

Wasn't Don Johnson's Streetwise made for Miami Vice? It wasn't on any of his own albums, only the Miami Vice soundtrack album?

From what've read it isn't known, but is probably been made for MV because of the connection it has to the episodes title and with Olivia providing the spoken part. So it is most likely. It wasn't on his "Heartbeat" Album (1986) only released as a B side on the "Heartache Away" single. I recall DJ said the sound or something along those lines it didn't fit with the rest of the album so it didn't make it on there. I love "Streetwise"! Great song! 

Edit: I looked and the song wasn't on any of the MV soundtrack albums.

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

From what've read it isn't known, but is probably been made for MV because of the connection it has to the episodes title and with Olivia providing the spoken part. So it is most likely. It wasn't on his "Heartbeat" Album (1986) only released as a B side on the "Heartache Away" single. I recall DJ said the upbeat sound or something along those lines it didn't fit with the rest of the album so it didn't make it on there. I love "Streetwise"! Great song! 

Yes it was recorded for the show.

37 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Yes it was recorded for the show.

Yes, I'd say/agree with that too. 

Found an article, this an excerpt from the Rolling Stones Magazine:

"Finally, Whoopi Goldberg, yet another pal, came down to Criteria just to hang out, but Johnson inveigled her into teaming with him on a James Brown-style rap track called ”Streetwise.” It won’t appear on the album — it’s a little too horn charged and hard edged to fit in — but it will be featured on Miami Vice next season (as will ”Star Tonight”), and there’ll also be a separate ”Streetwise” video."

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

Yes, I'd say/agree with that too. 

Found an article, this an excerpt from the Rolling Stones Magazine:

"Finally, Whoopi Goldberg, yet another pal, came down to Criteria just to hang out, but Johnson inveigled her into teaming with him on a James Brown-style rap track called ”Streetwise.” It won’t appear on the album — it’s a little too horn charged and hard edged to fit in — but it will be featured on Miami Vice next season (as will ”Star Tonight”), and there’ll also be a separate ”Streetwise” video."

Great Thankyou.

• Like 1

• Administrators
21 hours ago, summer84 said:

Edit: I looked and the song wasn't on any of the MV soundtrack albums.

It wasn't? Strange. I must have a false memory then. :) 

2 hours ago, James said:

It wasn't? Strange. I must have a false memory then. :) 

Unfortunately it wasn't on there, but his popular song "Heartbeat" was featured on the best of Miami Vice albums despite not having been featured on the show. I remember the song, by the same title, that was actually featured on the show thinking it was DJ singing first time I heard it. But then I've also thought "Rock by day Roll by night" was by Phil Collins, although his vocals did sound similar to the original artist. :)

Edited by summer84
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Am 12.3.2020 um 13:52 schrieb Dadrian:

What am I missing guys?

You are missing three Truman songs, Two by Ted Nugent (both were composed for MV) and that many of the songs you listed (eg Leona songs, some Easton songs) were in fact composed long before MV but just „covered“ by the actors in the scene.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

composed

True, but I didn’t claim them to be “composed” for the show, and I didn’t realize the name of the thread implied so. :thumbsup:

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

True, but I didn’t claim them to be “composed” for the show, and I didn’t realize the name of the thread implied so. :thumbsup:

„Music exclusively made for MV“ is a pretty explicit title of this thread I thought ...;)

and Lionas songs for example are songs with quite a long history...