Best season

Mrich209

I like 1-3, but 1 is my favorite because of every single detail in the way it looks, sounds, and (most importantly) feels. 

• Like 4

Season 1 is also my favorite season. It is classic Vice to me. It has a lot of cultural references, the language is different with the use of street slang. Early on there is some fashion from the 60's/70's. I like S1 and S2 the best overall, as that defined MV. But S3 is still a good and decent season story wise. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 4

I don't share the general love for season one, and certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it was TV's greatest ever season. I don't think Vice fully 'found' itself until season 2, and then poor decisions shattered that base partway through season 3 (the death of Larry in my view crippled the show). Vice went in cycles to me. I'd say my favorites run from very late in season 1 (starting with Made for Each other) and running about halfway through Season 2 (ending with Little Miss Dangerous). Then it lags, only to pick up again with Shadow in the Dark through The Savage in Season 3. Season 4 has some incredibly strong episodes surrounded by weakness, and really once the Burnett arc ended Season 5 is pretty much wasted.

It's all subjective, depending on what you like about the show. For me it was less the visuals and more the characters and writing. Which is why it's so spotty for me.

• Like 1

No other show has that much quality in 1 season. From Brothers Keeper to the Golden Triangle episodes to the Lombard and Calderone eps, Evan, No Exit, Milk Run and Home Invader etc, just so good.

23 quality episodes and running 48 minutes each ep was a great achievement and a lot of hard work.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

S2 is when I really started watching the show, since I was working every other Friday night during S1.  That's probably at least part of the reason it feels like my favorite (I say "feels like" because I'd like to watch the whole series in order before picking an actual favorite).  The look and feel, the energy, and the way I perceive the characters were all bundled together during S2.   

I enjoyed many of the episodes in S3, and am one (of apparently the few) who liked the very topical direction of the storytelling. 

S4 had some good episodes but I felt that quite a bit of the energy and characterization had drained away, for the most part.  Child's Play was excellent and Blood and Roses , although flawed, is a favorite of mine.  In addition, the major plotline of the Sonny-Caitlin relationship annoyed me.  I wouldn't have minded so much if the intro-to-marriage timeline had been extended (I don't think!).  But it felt rushed, forced, and like a ratings Hail Mary pass that didn't really jell.

S5--Like Robbie, after the Burnett arc it really seemed to drag for me.  I was disappointed in Freefall, but by that time I had almost stopped caring if I watched the show or not (I would tape and watch later if I had to work, so it took a little extra effort).

S1--I know I watched some S1 episodes, like Evan and Nobody Lives Forever, but am almost sure they were re-broadcast during S2.  Most of S1 I never saw until after the show was canceled, when it was picked up by USA (cable) network.  So while I like S1 a lot, by the time I watched it I had already formed my opinions about the characters and the show as a whole.

Although I don't necessarily like or gravitate to the same characters/episodes as Robbie, the characters and storylines are also more important to me than the style and visuals.  The music is another matter; while I"m not a music-head, I believe the music was essential to the ethos of MV.  However, without the style and visuals (especially during S1-2), I don't think MV would have attracted the attention it did, nor would we still be hotly discussing it 30 years later :)

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

However, without the style and visuals (especially during S1-2), I don't think MV would have attracted the attention it did, nor would we still be hotly discussing it 30 years later :)

You're right. The style and visuals is what made the show unique and special compared to other shows at the time. And made the show popular. 

I personally feel, that it all has to go together. It is also important to have strong sympathetic characters, (which is what I first noticed and in this case DJ) and a great story, that follows with the visuals, style and music. The one can't stand alone without the other. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

No other show has that much quality in 1 season. From Brothers Keeper to the Golden Triangle episodes to the Lombard and Calderone eps, Evan, No Exit, Milk Run and Home Invader etc, just so good.

23 quality episodes and running 48 minutes each ep was a great achievement and a lot of hard work.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. The Shield was powerful in every episode in its first season (and throughout, honestly), and Justified had the same sort of strength. They aren't the same kind of shows as Vice, but they had a consistent feel and quality Vice simply couldn't have because of its show running style (or lack thereof). I don't really include The Sopranos or Breaking Bad because they weren't broadcast TV in the traditional sense, but many TV critics do and they are routinely praised for their first seasons.

25 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

I enjoyed many of the episodes in S3, and am one (of apparently the few) who liked the very topical direction of the storytelling. 

S1--I know I watched some S1 episodes, like Evan and Nobody Lives Forever, but am almost sure they were re-broadcast during S2.  Most of S1 I never saw until after the show was canceled, when it was picked up by USA (cable) network.  So while I like S1 a lot, by the time I watched it I had already formed my opinions about the characters and the show as a whole.

Although I don't necessarily like or gravitate to the same characters/episodes as Robbie, the characters and storylines are also more important to me than the style and visuals.  The music is another matter; while I"m not a music-head, I believe the music was essential to the ethos of MV.  However, without the style and visuals (especially during S1-2), I don't think MV would have attracted the attention it did, nor would we still be hotly discussing it 30 years later :)

I also liked their topical approach to many episodes after the first couple of seasons. God's Work (even though it's not S3) remains one of my favorites, and I still don't think many appreciate just how powerful it was in the context of its time. But the way they killed off Larry and didn't bother to address how it would have changed Stan until the last season is I think symptomatic of one of the biggest flaws in the show.

Like you I started watching Vice on USA and didn't see the seasons in a directly linear way.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I also liked their topical approach to many episodes after the first couple of seasons. God's Work (even though it's not S3) remains one of my favorites, and I still don't think many appreciate just how powerful it was in the context of its time. But the way they killed off Larry and didn't bother to address how it would have changed Stan until the last season is I think symptomatic of one of the biggest flaws in the show.

Like you I started watching Vice on USA and didn't see the seasons in a directly linear way.

Larry should have at least got replaced, I mean could Stan realistically do all of that surveillance on his own?

Some say Lester, he would have been an excellent option but maybe even Chris Elliott who appeared in "Down for the Count (Part II)"

latest?cb=20111015135039

46 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

We'll have to agree to disagree here. The Shield was powerful in every episode in its first season (and throughout, honestly), and Justified had the same sort of strength. They aren't the same kind of shows as Vice, but they had a consistent feel and quality Vice simply couldn't have because of its show running style (or lack thereof). I don't really include The Sopranos or Breaking Bad because they weren't broadcast TV in the traditional sense, but many TV critics do and they are routinely praised for their first seasons.

I have to get around to watching The Shield, sounds great.

Breaking Bad had an excellent first season and got better as it went on. I don't rate The Sopranos that highly as some do simply because its too derivative, should be called The Scorsese's

The Rockford Files had a strong first season. I think you would really appreciate it because the writing is brilliant. 

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Larry should have at least got replaced, I mean could Stan realistically do all of that surveillance on his own?

Some say Lester, he would have been an excellent option but maybe even Chris Elliott who appeared in "Down for the Count (Part II)"

latest?cb=20111015135039

Lester would have been far better in my view. He had a similar vibe but with a better edge. Chris Elliot is just too hard to take seriously. At least for me. Never been a big fan of his.

I was never a fan of The Sopranos, just to be clear. It scores high with critics, but I always thought it was a bit trite. The Shield is a very intense show, perhaps too much for some. But the writing is superb, along with the acting. You really don't want to watch any edited version of it. It's out on DVD in a very affordable package for all seven seasons, and to me is well worth the money. Justified has a lighter touch but is quite well written and just fun to watch.

I've seen The Rockford Files and agree it was a well-written show. Many shows of that era were, I think because they tended to be driven by one person (sort of like the show runner today). Early Gunsmoke (especially the black and white half-hour episodes but more or less the whole pre-color run) were also quite well-written and took on some risky topics for their time.

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 2

Chris Elliot is to be loathed. I’m not being negative. I just mean I think it’s his niche in entertainment. He was perfectly cast in Everybody Loves Raymond. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

But the way they killed off Larry and didn't bother to address how it would have changed Stan until the last season is I think symptomatic of one of the biggest flaws in the show.

I agree that this was a big missed opportunity.  And while Stan obviously would have felt the loss of his partner and friend in a different and probably deeper way than any of the others, I think the whole team would have been affected.  Each of the others could have had an intersecting storyline tracing their reactions and the effect Larry's death (and the reason for it) had on their own responses, their own work, and their relationships outside of the vice squad.  The powers that chose the direction (or lack of it) of the show obviously didn't choose to delve into those psychological effects.

Just to be clear, I watched S2-5 in real time--that is, during the show's run.  It was only S1 that I first encountered on USA.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Lester would have been far better in my view.

I really liked Lester. Would’ve been great to see him fill Larry’s spot with Stan. 

Too bad he ended up being a drug dealer in the “Badge of Dishonor” teaser. Also, too bad that DJ’s season 3-5 salary is probably the biggest reason they didn’t fill the spot. 

35 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I really liked Lester. Would’ve been great to see him fill Larry’s spot with Stan. 

Too bad he ended up being a drug dealer in the “Badge of Dishonor” teaser. Also, too bad that DJ’s season 3-5 salary is probably the biggest reason they didn’t fill the spot. 

That's why he did in my Task Force stuff. And yeah...I get the decision to pay DJ, but it also I think shortened the life of the series.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Thanks to the lockdown in my country, I have so far re-watched half of S3, and I start reconciling to it. I even start to like Crockett's hairstyle in the first half, before he grew it out into that hideous mullet. The storytelling is great, good dialogues, even the acting of the extras is often top notch, e.g. Lonette McKee as Alicia in "Stones War" when she complains to Tubbs about Crockett, there's a lot of proper street and surveillance work. Up to now I remembered it mainly for the change in optics, now I realize there's actually much more.

Still, for me S1 is what set the stage, defined the atmosphere and instantly got me hooked. S2 is also my 2nd favorite, taking it a bit to far with focusing on style, hence I fully appreciate that they tried to give it another direction with S3.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I really, really like the first two seasons, and the third season, while not as outstanding as the previous two, was still pretty solid in my book. Not a huge fan of the fourth and fifth season even though there were some very interesting episodes here and there. Some episodes might be bad by Miami Vice-standards, but can still be considered good television.

If I had to choose a favorite season, it probably would be the first one, though I might pick the second one depending on my mood.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Season 1 is my favorite. I think I would rank the seasons right in order, 1 is the best, 2 is second best, 3 is third best, etc. I still will watch any episode except “Freefall”. I just don’t like how the show ended. Long depressing episode where they quit the force? No thank you. I’d rather watch “Missing Hours” or “Leap of Faith” than “Freefall”. :)

S3!!!!! White Glow era, superb neon scenes, blueish tones, dark scenes, consistent quality, great stories, the two Ferraris, a lot of Peter Gabriel's "So" album. I do know most will disagree!

• Like 2

Can I cheat and say the last half of S1 and the first half of S2 is the best? Almost everything from Milk Run to Little Miss Dangerous is peak Vice.

• Like 4