Has anyone else viewed this about the original DAYTONA in the pilot?

VICE365

Article says the Doctors Daytona was originally silver and red interior, I have a hard time believing this. Anyone know any more on this issue. First time I ever heard this. You have to read the entire article..

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 7.03.26 AM.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2020 at 6:13 AM, VICE365 said:

Article says the Doctors Daytona was originally silver and red interior, I have a hard time believing this. Anyone know any more on this issue. First time I ever heard this. You have to read the entire article..

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 7.03.26 AM.png

https://www.kidston.com/motorcars/2561-1972-Ferrari-365-GTS-4-Daytona-Spyder/

• 3 months later...
On 6/18/2020 at 10:08 AM, VICE365 said:

Mr. Calderon searched and could not find what you are referring to. Could you post a link.

Im kinda late. Sorry, i just read your post today. Its on the red dragon post.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Never heard that one. I do know that the Daytona in several scenes in the pilot was a real one.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

not all men can boast themselves about building a replica more famous than the original. seriously if you want to give me a Mc Burnie, or an original Daytona, frankly i don't know if i would choose the Ferrari

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, fakespyder said:

Great interview. Who-knew we had Grisly Adams to thank for the Daytona:cool:

Grizzly Adams or the guy in manhattan which i couldn't get the name btw

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 year later...

yeah ferrariman theirs a brief scene in the pilot where he hops out of a black one, thing is its got a tan interior, not red, and painted california mirrors, abit unusual in of itself as no one ever customized them back then, like the guy who ran soul train back in the 70's had one, Don Cornelius, a silver one, probably bought when the show went big, never drove it, one of the Fords had one, which the victory by design guy drove down a gravel road before sending the car and its painted and polished underbody off to auction

and buggs bunny also, in the vice colors, actually a fair amount seem to have made their way to california and into the hands of celebrities really, as one showed up in Mannix of all things, which I think might of been the one Raul Julia raced in the gumball rally

but they all had the standard chrome mirrors, as you figure your paying what a 100 plus K for one of the last V12 Grand Touring Spiders, literally THEE last one they ever made before ferrari stopped importing them in, why would you modify it, as it wasnt until the mid 90's that they made another one with the need for speed 550 Barchetta and then the whole new line of V12's since then, kinda ending with the 812 recently, one HELL of a supercar I'll say that much, like that is gonna be a future classic and then some

also I think the photos are in the cars of miami vice thing I did awhile back

which means if it is the original was redone it would have had to have not only a full respray, but a retrim too, granted I think that means only really the seats and maybe the doors, which might have been easy to switch over if their anything like the fiat 124 sport spider

which we found out is where the dash vents came from, but its still kind of a why would you go to that much trouble to redo the entire car like that, I mean the only person I know who was crazy enough to do that was James Coburn with his 250 California spider that migrated from red to silver to the black its in now

who then I guess when the power levels got close enough to his old car, or maybe he wanted something he didnt have to worry that much about, bought a white with a red interior 308 to replace it when he sold it on in the late 80's when those things jumped in value

Edited by Kavinsky

5 hours ago, apocalypse said:

This has probably been discussed but is the attorney Thurmond's yellow Daytona a genuine one in "One Way Ticket"? It looks genuine.

I believe so.  Members with more knowledge than me have said so.  I recall one detail was the triangular vent windows behind the windshield.  Those same type of vent windows can be seen in the first shot of Sonny sitting in an actual Daytona in the pilot.  I’m sure somebody else can point out more than me.

• Like 2

I really prefer the Daytona, it was less conspicuous for Sonny's cover and why couldn't Enzo offer them a real one for the casual shot's in the show.

I think the whole thing "I am angry with you using a replica" was hidden agenda just to promote his Testarossa by using through the hottest show at the time.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I believe so.  Members with more knowledge than me have said so.  I recall one detail was the triangular vent windows behind the windshield.  Those same type of vent windows can be seen in the first shot of Sonny sitting in an actual Daytona in the pilot.  I’m sure somebody else can point out more than me.

Is this the real one here?

Untitled.png.47942627e6b1d2068e7e8844b23336b8.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think the whole thing "I am angry with you using a replica" was hidden agenda just to promote his Testarossa by using through the hottest show at the time.

Good point, I agree.

• Like 2

Testarossa is not that well liked among the Ferrari enthusiasts. 

But it has become an icon. And very valuable. Miami Vice has a lot to do with that.

9 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Is this the real one here?

Untitled.png.47942627e6b1d2068e7e8844b23336b8.png

Yes, the genuine article here. A number of differences between this car and the replicars, including side vent windows, hidden door handles, reduced fender flaring, drop down headlights, Borrani wheels. and placement of the rear side marker lights. The interior is totally different though it isn't shown here, such as  gauge clusters over the steering column instead of over the center console on the replicars using a standard Vette configuration. And under the hood... well there is no comparison. :p

• Like 6

On 12/12/2022 at 3:46 AM, Dadrian said:

The most notable similarity of the actual Ferrari Daytona and MV replica is neither one is in my garage. 

Mine neither I'm very sorry to say ! You know I think I've come to prefer it over the Testarossa!

On 12/11/2022 at 5:14 PM, RedDragon86 said:

I really prefer the Daytona, it was less conspicuous for Sonny's cover and why couldn't Enzo offer them a real one for the casual shot's in the show.

Very much agree, RD.

• Thanks 1