Andrew Halvorson Original Music

AndrewRemington

Some of my music has been posted in the thread “Songs that should’ve been played on VICE”. I hope it’s not too much of a shameless promotion to start my own thread, but I think most of us on here love 80’s music. I try to make music that sounds very authentically 80’s, even down to the cover artwork. I have a lot of influences, but I still think my music is very original and true to myself. I play everything recorded, synthesizers, guitar, bass guitar, drum machine and vocals. One of the songs “I Wanna Be Your Dog” is a cover, but the others are written by me.

I would appreciate any feedback, and invite any comments or subscribes on YouTube! Thanks!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 4

Thank you. I really appreciate it! I did probably fifty takes on the vocals of my last song. Making music is really exhausting and hearing some kind words pushes me to keep making it.

thanks pal.jpg

"Last Night" sounds like a "Fashion" song. The band who had songs in Evan and The Prodigal Son.

You have a great voice.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

"Last Night" sounds like a "Fashion" song. The band who had songs in Evan and The Prodigal Son.

You have a great voice.

Hey, thanks a lot! That’s one comparison I’ve never heard before, but I like it! I’m a bit self-conscious about my voice but I gotta take what I have!

7 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

but I gotta take what I have!

This is one of the keys to life, Young Man. :cheers:

• Like 1

that's pretty dang fine stuff, buddy! Keep it comin' pal, it instantly flashes me back to 1985

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

Here is an extended version of my song, “Dreamgirl.” Someday I’d like to release this on 12” vinyl singles but that’s very expensive to have done.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Over the last two months, I've recorded a new jazz album entitled "Jazz Americana." I will be releasing each of the ten new songs one day at time, counting us down to the end of the year.

Here is the first track, "The Smoky Lounge."

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 8:23 PM, AndrewRemington said:

Some of my music has been posted in the thread “Songs that should’ve been played on VICE”. I hope it’s not too much of a shameless promotion to start my own thread, but I think most of us on here love 80’s music. I try to make music that sounds very authentically 80’s, even down to the cover artwork. I have a lot of influences, but I still think my music is very original and true to myself. I play everything recorded, synthesizers, guitar, bass guitar, drum machine and vocals. One of the songs “I Wanna Be Your Dog” is a cover, but the others are written by me.

I would appreciate any feedback, and invite any comments or subscribes on YouTube! Thanks!

Love it great work 

• Thanks 1

Recently, I took the initiative to get my latest album, “Jazz Americana,” on streaming and for digital purchase. It’s definitely a lot of work and money to get your music published and released, but I feel very pleased with the album and want others to enjoy it. I also registered all the songs with BMI (Broadcast Music Inc.).

The tough part is finding people who would even listen, though. I don’t hardly know anybody that likes jazz and my area doesn’t have a single jazz radio station of any variety. I would appreciate anyone listening on Apple Music or purchasing the album on iTunes. It’s also available on Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, YouTube and many other places.

Apple Music/iTunes https://music.apple.com/us/album/jazz-americana/1547157351

Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/1loQ8rPCEtz5Ytbs6viUHt?si=bVlVcNAPQM2hjc16rTK0Vg

Pandora https://pandora.app.link/3NjZfiE1Ldb

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Americana-Andrew-Halvorson/dp/B08RXSR9JF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Andrew+Halvorson+Jazz+Americana&qid=1612996400&sr=8-1

YouTube https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kvrKWvenSOCXwgXc_FDwyXBbxi8WSNHZI

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Recently, I took the initiative to get my latest album, “Jazz Americana,” on streaming and for digital purchase. It’s definitely a lot of work and money to get your music published and released, but I feel very pleased with the album and want others to enjoy it. I also registered all the songs with BMI (Broadcast Music Inc.).

The tough part is finding people who would even listen, though. I don’t hardly know anybody that likes jazz and my area doesn’t have a single jazz radio station of any variety. I would appreciate anyone listening on Apple Music or purchasing the album on iTunes. It’s also available on Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, YouTube and many other places.

Apple Music/iTunes https://music.apple.com/us/album/jazz-americana/1547157351

Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/1loQ8rPCEtz5Ytbs6viUHt?si=bVlVcNAPQM2hjc16rTK0Vg

Pandora https://pandora.app.link/3NjZfiE1Ldb

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Americana-Andrew-Halvorson/dp/B08RXSR9JF/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Andrew+Halvorson+Jazz+Americana&qid=1612996400&sr=8-1

YouTube https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kvrKWvenSOCXwgXc_FDwyXBbxi8WSNHZI

Congratulations Andrew on your accomplishment. and good luck.  Sorry to hear there’s not much of a jazz scene in your area. I’m not a huge fan but I have listened a bit on a local station over the years.  It’s called K-Jazz and it’s broadcast from Cal State Long Beach.  They had a pretty good DJ named Chuck Niles several years ago.  He had lots of interesting knowledge.  They also used to have a jazz and blues festival here that I attended a couple of times but it’s no more.  Same with a cool club called Blue Cafe.  There was also a great reggae festival, now gone, that I attended about 15 times!  Tastes change over time it seems.

You can stream the station here:

https://www.kkjz.org/mobile/ 

It’s a non-commercial station, as most jazz and blues stations are these days.  It’s popularity has been in decline for decades, unfortunately.  I think the last number I read was that jazz accounted for just over 1% of physical music sales and slightly less for digital sales.  ;(

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pahonu said:

Congratulations Andrew on your accomplishment. and good luck.  Sorry to hear there’s not much of a jazz scene in your area. I’m not a huge fan but I have listened a bit on a local station over the years.  It’s called K-Jazz and it’s broadcast from Cal State Long Beach.  They had a pretty good DJ named Chuck Niles several years ago.  He had lots of interesting knowledge.  They also used to have a jazz and blues festival here that I attended a couple of times but it’s no more.  Same with a cool club called Blue Cafe.  There was also a great reggae festival, now gone, that I attended about 15 times!  Tastes change over time it seems.

You can stream the station here:

https://www.kkjz.org/mobile/ 

It’s a non-commercial station, as most jazz and blues stations are these days.  It’s popularity has been in decline for decades, unfortunately.  I think the last number I read was that jazz accounted for just over 1% of physical music sales and slightly less for digital sales.  ;(

Thanks for sharing! Listening to that station right now! :radio: But it is quite sad that jazz popularity has declined so much. I think the last era where it was popular was probably in the 60’s? I think that one reason why it’s not popular is that most jazz is not simple... at least that’s what I think. Most rock, pop, country is very simple. Also, I think instrumental music doesn’t appeal to people as much as vocal music, but there’s plenty of vocal jazz out there.

I do admit, some jazz songs are really hard to get into. Especially 10 minute ones with very little structure and almost all improvisation. With my jazz music I still follow a sort of verse-bridge-chorus structure on most songs.

3 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

Thanks for sharing! Listening to that station right now! :radio: But it is quite sad that jazz popularity has declined so much. I think the last era where it was popular was probably in the 60’s? I think that one reason why it’s not popular is that most jazz is not simple... at least that’s what I think. Most rock, pop, country is very simple. Also, I think instrumental music doesn’t appeal to people as much as vocal music, but there’s plenty of vocal jazz out there.

I do admit, some jazz songs are really hard to get into. Especially 10 minute ones with very little structure and almost all improvisation. With my jazz music I still follow a sort of verse-bridge-chorus structure on most songs.

Glad your enjoying the station!

• 1 month later...

Here is my latest song, entitled "Drop Me In." Please take a listen. This song is in the post-punk and neo-psychedelia genre vein. Definitely 80's, of course. Echo & The Bunnymen are the strongest influence. I decided on the band name "The Hated of the World" for this song and style.

Fixed link.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Here is my latest song, entitled "Drop Me In." Please take a listen. This song is in the post-punk and neo-psychedelia genre vein. Definitely 80's, of course. Echo & The Bunnymen are the strongest influence. I decided on the band name "The Hated of the World" for this song and style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5hXI95hsk

This song struck me straight away, you are a pure 80's man! :thumbsup:

Excellent sound and vocals, is this really you? :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

This song struck me straight away, you are a pure 80's man! :thumbsup:

Excellent sound and vocals, is this really you? :)

Thank you much! I appreciate the praise!

It is all me. :) With my influences (particularly for this project), it was hard not to sing in a slight British accent. I tried not to, but it just comes naturally. I am an American with a lot of influence from Echo & The Bunnymen, The Smiths, Joy Division, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, the Damned, and others.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 9:23 PM, AndrewRemington said:

It definitely sounds like something that could be on Radio Mirror Park in GTA V

4 hours ago, MichaelAce said:

It definitely sounds like something that could be on Radio Mirror Park in GTA V

The song would certainly fit on the new radio station K.U.L.T. 99.1 FM, as it mainly has new wave/post music.

Bands like "Joy Division" and "New Order" are on the tracklist:radio:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

The song would certainly fit on the new radio station K.U.L.T. 99.1 FM, as it mainly has new wave/post music.

Bands like "Joy Division" and "New Order" are on the tracklist:radio:

Thanks! I had to look up the track listing for that station! It is quite an eclectic mix! Yes, Joy Division, New Order, Velvet Underground, Stooges, Iggy Pop, and even a great LL Cool J song... “Goin’ Back to Cali”! I think it was made specifically for “Less Than Zero.” Great 80’s film if you haven’t seen it!

I haven’t played GTA V yet. I’m not much of a gamer, but I did love “Vice City” and “San Andreas”!

• Like 1