Vice Episodes With Happy Endings

AndrewRemington

It’s rather unusual, but there are episodes with legitimate happy endings or “feel-good” endings. I was trying to think of them all, but I probably didn’t get them all!

Brother’s Keeper/Pilot - Even though Calderone gets away, it’s still a feel good ending with Sonny & Rico becoming friends and partners driving off in the Daytona. “You ever consider a career in southern law enforcement?”

Cool Runnin’ - Light-hearted ending with Noogie leaving hospital and rapping.

Made For Each Other - Noogie and Ample Annie get married.

Prodigal Son - Sonny and Rico head back to Miami while “Take Me Home” plays.

Phill The Shill - Phil and Sarah got away, but it’s a silly ending with Switek shooting the TV Elvis-style.

Like A Hurricane - Sonny and Caitlin get married. A very sweet ending. This is probably Sonny’s most happy moment on the show.

What else?

• Like 1

It seems like there are more happy endings than one would immediatly think in Miami Vice. The constant sad endings were starting to get disheartening. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

Whatever Works-Sonny gets his car back

Golden Triangle-"Take me to a bar."

I guess Redemption In Blood-Sonny turns good, Celeste gets to walk away, and El Gato gets his.

• Like 3

I would consider the "Buddies" ending, not necessarily an all out happy ending but a satisfying one. Robbie coming to his senses and along with Sonny they saved the girl and her baby from getting seriously hurt. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3

Good answers, pals! “Buddies” is a very satisfying ending! I love that ending of “Golden Triangle” with Castillo saying, “Take me to a bar.” :)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

“Golden Triangle” with Castillo saying, “Take me to a bar.” :)

But Crockett and Tubbs ruined all of Dale Menton’s happy endings in that episode. :) :) :) 

• Haha 4

Lombard seemed quite happy with himself after not ratting out his old friends. Don't think he even noticed his son storming out of the court room though. :(

• Like 2

Does anyone else enjoy the UNhappy endings as much as I do? “By Hooker by Crook” is my favorite of all! I don’t know...maybe I need therapy. :) 

Let’s just say, if you like happy endings, MV is gonna be rough for you. :p

Edited by Dadrian

10 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Does anyone else enjoy the UNhappy endings as much as I do? “By Hooker by Crook” is my favorite of all! I don’t know...maybe I need therapy. :) 

Let’s just say, if you like happy endings, MV is gonna be rough for you. :p

LOL, I like both the happy and unhappy! My two favorite episodes are “Milk Run” and “Evan” which are both tearjerkers!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 2

The unhappy endings are always better when they make sense and don't feel forced for the sake of being edgy or contrary. Evan makes total sense as does an ep like Red Tape, but telling us Artie Rollins hung himself offscreen in Heart of Darkness just feels tacked on.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I would consider the "Buddies" ending, not necessarily an all out happy ending but a satisfying one. Robbie coming to his senses and along with Sonny they saved the girl and her baby from getting seriously hurt. 

I think it's a half-ending, and fairly typical for episodes where Crockett pushes someone and then sort of walks out on the consequences. It's an episode that should have been followed up, frankly, and not an ending I found satisfying.

Like Dadrian I prefer the unhappy endings in many cases. They simply make more sense given the characters we're shown. When they work (Evan, OWTBDR) they're perfect, but when they're forced they really suck, honestly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

Like A Hurricane - Sonny and Caitlin get married. A very sweet ending. This is probably Sonny’s most happy moment on the show.

This was the first one that came to my mind.  Although I didn't care for the episode itself, it was a happy ending.

Prodigal Son had a happy ending as well.  It was good to see Gina back at work and smiling.

Bad Timing was a so-so episode but it also had a happy / humorous ending.  When Sonny was circling the floor with Kathleen and she tells him she only needs 3 things from a man--that he should be kind to her, be a good dancer, and then she whispers the 3rd thing.  Sonny replies, "Well, two out of three ain't bad."   We can easily see that the dancing part is the part he's missing... :) 

• Like 2

The funniest, most forced ending has to be “The Great McCarthy. 

Sorry to say, but “I’ve got to.” :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I think it's a half-ending, and fairly typical for episodes where Crockett pushes someone and then sort of walks out on the consequences. It's an episode that should have been followed up, frankly, and not an ending I found satisfying.

Like Dadrian I prefer the unhappy endings in many cases. They simply make more sense given the characters we're shown. When they work (Evan, OWTBDR) they're perfect, but when they're forced they really suck, honestly.

I wouldn't say typical it's one of Sonny's qualities as a person, to push someone do the right thing. Sonny was testing him, if Crockett pushed him and Robbie stayed put and she died I don't think its forgiveable, even for a good friend.

Sonny would have nothing to with Robbie for the rest of his life. Similar to what Thurmond did. I don't know how you could follow that up in another ep.

Edited by RedDragon86

15 hours ago, Dadrian said:

The funniest, most forced ending has to be “The Great McCarthy. 

Sorry to say, but “I’ve got to.” :) 

I thought it was very sad ending, as I wish things could have worked out between Tubbs and Vanessa. The part I do like the best about the ending are those two brief, dramatic piano chords played by Jan Hammer.

They should’ve just ended with a scene of Tubbs and Vanessa with Hot Chocolate’s “You Sexy Thing” playing. :dance2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I wouldn't say typical it's one of Sonny's qualities as a person, to push someone do the right thing. Sonny was testing him, if Crockett pushed him and Robbie stayed put and she died I don't think its forgiveable, even for a good friend.

Sonny would have nothing to with Robbie for the rest of his life. Similar to what Thurmond did. I don't know how you could follow that up in another ep.

You're not making sense here, honestly. Given the nature of the ending they gave us, Buddies certainly called for some kind of follow-up. I've demonstrated such a follow-up was both possible and perfectly in keeping with the character of both men. It would have also (hopefully) given us another stellar Frank Military episode.

To me "A Bullet for Crockett" is a perfect Happy End! The bad guys a dead or in jail and the team is standing around Sonny´s bed who just awakes and will fully recover.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

“Child’s Play” has a happy ending! I nearly forgot about that. Jeffrey squeezes Crockett’s hand. I like to think he will change his life going forward. We also have the sweet scene with Crockett and Billy in the Testarossa.

• Like 1

I would also add "Viking Bikers From Hell" as Tubbs was shot, but lived and Sonny was almost killed by Reb. It ends with Sonny listing Tubbs in the hospital after Tubbs recovered from a concussion. While the Wire's Sister disappears with the money it does seem possible she was going to do something good with it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gary1911A1 said:

I would also add "Viking Bikers From Hell" as Tubbs was shot, but lived and Sonny was almost killed by Reb. It ends with Sonny listing Tubbs in the hospital after Tubbs recovered from a concussion. While the Wire's Sister disappears with the money it does seem possible she was going to do something good with it. 

Good thinking. There really are more happy endings than I remembered!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Another happy ending: "Glades"! How could I forget that ;)

Crockett saves the girl, the good guys win, the bad guys are dead/arrested and Joey Bramlett testifies against Ruiz in court as planned. Let's hope Ruiz goes to jail for a long time!

• Like 1

I know it's a polarizing episode, but for me, Everybody's In Showbiz. Mikey lives in spite of everything and essentially pulls one over on everybody.

Also Line of Fire. Joey Hardin lives to rock another day (although some may wish he didn't considering where it went).

On 7/10/2020 at 2:43 AM, Glades said:

To me "A Bullet for Crockett" is a perfect Happy End! The bad guys a dead or in jail and the team is standing around Sonny´s bed who just awakes and will fully recover.

This is true but in wrestling parlance this would be called a "cheap pop". Sonny is essentially only put in mortal danger so he can get out of it and get a reaction. We know he'll most likely be fine. It doesn't advance anything, especially given the fact it's never mentioned again. And he sure made a hell of a recovery for a guy who was shot in the chest and flatlined at one point. They'd do a similar thing with Castillo in Miami Squeeze.

1 hour ago, Bren10 said:

We know he'll most likely be fine. It doesn't advance anything, especially given the fact it's never mentioned again. And he sure made a hell of a recovery for a guy who was shot in the chest and flatlined at one point. They'd do a similar thing with Castillo in Miami Squeeze.

Yep, and the scar on Crockett's chest heals really well! So well that absolutely none of it can be seen in Mirror Image. Which is completely impossible. I got used to it, it's not only in MV like that.

I'm not sure that it was that clear how everything turns out when it was aired first? After all, it was towards the end of a season?

But I do think that Crockett's injury adds to the story. For me, "A Bullet For Crockett" is a conclusion to the show so far and the big dramatic break before the climax of the Burnett-Arc. All the team members come together once again, almost like a farewell party. In this larger context it is a very strong episode for me.

Edited by Glades
  • Like 2