Miami Vice: The 5 Best Episodes & 5 Worst (According To IMDb)

timm525

• Administrators

Not bad. The only thing I didn’t know was that Don Shula had never heard of the show.  How could you live in Miami in the 80’s and not know about this show? Can you say clueless?

3 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

out where the buses dont run, is better than evan....

I would have to agree with this point.  Miracle Man is right where it should be on the list. 

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Not bad. The only thing I didn’t know was that Don Shula had never heard of the show.  How could you live in Miami in the 80’s and not know about this show? Can you say clueless?

And what about me that never heard anything about Don Shula and i had to do a google now.

Nice line-up but also false information contained. The screening order had nothing to do with Willie Nelson‘s availability. His availability would have become a problem if DJs strike and the filming delay (complete filming was 17-30 June, thus 1 week longer than normal)  had continued much longer -  but Nelson was in Miami that time anyway to work on DJs album Heartbeat in Criteria Studios. The screening order was a purely tactical marketing decision to start with the exploding Daytona and the scenes of El Viejo that were refilmed in October had nothing to do with Nelson either. 

I don’t get why these wrong stories are still kept up as it is easy to verify with facts or to ask one of the people concerned.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Nice line-up but also false information contained. The screening order had nothing to do with Willie Nelson‘s availability. His availability would have become a problem if DJs strike and the filming delay (complete filming was 17-30 June, thus 1 week longer than normal)  had continued much longer -  but Nelson was in Miami that time anyway to work on DJs album Heartbeat in Criteria Studios. The screening order was a purely tactical marketing decision to start with the exploding Daytona and the scenes of El Viejo that were refilmed in October had nothing to do with Nelson either. 

I don’t get why these wrong stories are still kept up as it is easy to verify with facts or to ask one of the people concerned.

Because people are lazy, and the internet makes them lazier. Do a Google search, hit the first link, copy and paste what you find there...that passes for "high quality research" these days.

vor 30 Minuten schrieb Robbie C.:

Because people are lazy, and the internet makes them lazier. Do a Google search, hit the first link, copy and paste what you find there...that passes for "high quality research" these days.

Yeah right, once something has been falsely written up, it will survive forever by copying. lot of false MV info has lasted that way eg wrong music tracks that have never appeared on the show are still on wikis although easy to falsify by just listening to the episode.

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeah right, once something has been falsely written up, it will survive forever by copying. lot of false MV info has lasted that way eg wrong music tracks that have never appeared on the show are still on wikis although easy to falsify by just listening to the episode.

Yep, and bad character background information. You name it, it's there. All easy to disprove if someone actually does something radical like WATCH the show and PAY ATTENTION.

• Haha 1

Evan #1 yes! this is actually a very good list. i think V. bikers from hell could have been a great episode if they had decided to go darker. they should have pushed it to the limit of trash. but i think they didn't because they wouldn't had been able to schedule it on a lucrative hour then. VBFH, i would have pushed it to the limit of horror myself

“Viking Bikers From Hell” is actually a very decent episode. Jan Hammer’s score is the best thing about it, but it’s also an enjoyable episode. “Missing Hours” really isn’t that bad in my opinion. 

I’m going to make you all think. For those people who hate “Missing Hours”, I bet you don’t believe in aliens or memory displacement.

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

I’m going to make you all think. For those people who hate “Missing Hours”, I bet you don’t believe in aliens or memory displacement.

If you’re referring to displacement theory of short term memory, then it should be noted that it is one of several models described, none definitive, about how we forget things from short term memory.  Others include trace decay, interference theory, and cue-dependent forgetting.  I don’t think the issues with the episode is with memory theory as much as the storytelling itself.

I would also add that believing in the existence of alien life forms is very different than insisting that we have contacted said life forms and it is being hidden.  The first is based on the vastness of the universe and the mathematical unlikelihood that life exists in only one place in a universe of such size.  The other is in the realm of conspiracy theory in which gaps in a sizable evidential set are filled with hypotheses themselves lacking in evidential support.  There are many alien stories that are film and television classics.  Missing Hours is not one of them, in my opinion and many others.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

“Viking Bikers From Hell” is actually a very decent episode. Jan Hammer’s score is the best thing about it, but it’s also an enjoyable episode. “Missing Hours” really isn’t that bad in my opinion. 

I don't hate "Missing Hours," there are episodes I dislike more like "Free Verse," but at the same time don't believe in aliens either. :) I've watched supernatural shows, which I found interesting and it was in the right context. 

The subject didn't fit for MV. It wasn't related to what Vice deals with. Other episodes one of them being "Tale of a Goat" had elements of the supernatural as well. But I guess I liked the mystique /mystery in certain parts and that Trudy got some screen time. But in my rewatch, have to see, what I think about the episode. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

yeah missing hours wasn't that bad. Free verse was bad. the only one that i can't rewatch. didn't like the Gina father one much neither. Borrasca was a great episode too. i never saw a EJH that good in any other episode. but i believe they couldn't include them all. Definitely Miami was cool, because of the unforgettable Arielle (body). but it wasn't an extraordinary episode IMO. i mean it's just a story of a man beating his wife. I love Junk love too. mostly because of the presence of Ely Pouget. She's a good looking mama, and she plays well too. didn't like much El viejo. too focused on the Texas ranger thing. plus with a lame ending (the supercop that goes unlaw at the very end). i need to stop because there's so many to say :)

Am 10.8.2020 um 02:33 schrieb summer84:

The subject didn't fit for MV. It wasn't related to what Vice deals with. Other episodes one of them being "Tale of a Goat" had elements of the supernatural as well. But I guess I liked the mystique /mystery in certain parts and that Trudy got some screen time. But in my rewatch, have to see, what I think about the episode. 

I have found out that for me that is exactly one of the root causes for detecting good and bad episodes - if the reason for the team´s involvement fits into VICE´s portfolio, i.e. drugs, prostitution, gambling - sometimes very clear (e.g. Little Prince, Good Collar, Hard Knocks), sometimes a bit creative but still more or less reasonable (e.g. Baby Blues - they expected a drug plane, in Contempt of Court they supported federal government to build a RICO case against Mosca, as Crockett´s informant was key to the case, in Home Invaders and Shadow in the Dark they were "leased" to other divisions due to lack of capacity), sometimes very far fetched and unreasonable (e.g. Free Verse - why would VICE protect a poet? Gun runners in Child´s play or at the beginning of Like a hurricane - where is the ATF? ).

That pattern of good and bad based on the reasonability of the story line towards VICE´s agenda, works for me at 80% of all time. Some great episodes are exceptions from the rule (Asian Cut and Love at first sight - this should be handled by homicide instead of VICE...) where I was so positive about them that I did not recognize until the very end that this was no VICE case at all :) 

Missing hours and some others (Cows of October) belong to another category - no VICE plot whatsoever and maybe that´s the reason why they come along misplaced AND silly.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Good points @Tom.

I’m noticing Asian Cut as a good episode for more and more people here. For some reason, it has never resonated with me. I need to watch it again and try to find what I’m missing (besides Trudy :fireworks::p). 

On 8/8/2020 at 4:48 PM, Ferrariman said:

Raiders coach John Madden. John's wife walked up to him shortly before the 1978 season began and handed John a piece of paper. It was a parent authorization form for his eldest son Mike to take drivers education later in the school year. John looked at his wife somewhat puzzled and told her Mike was still only a kid. When John's wife told him he was 15 going on 16, John realized he missed way too much of his children's upbringing.

John Madden announced his retirement as a coach shortly thereafter.

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

Good points @Tom.

I’m noticing Asian Cut as a good episode for more and more people here. For some reason, it has never resonated with me. I need to watch it again and try to find what I’m missing (besides Trudy :fireworks::p). 

I think it is really good suspense until the very end and has a great villain (BTW David Schramm sadly died this March) as well as great visuals, props and some serious topics (Air America, runaways, ...) to go along with.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, king77 said:

Raiders coach John Madden. John's wife walked up to him shortly before the 1978 season began and handed John a piece of paper. It was a parent authorization form for his eldest son Mike to take drivers education later in the school year. John looked at his wife somewhat puzzled and told her Mike was still only a kid. When John's wife told him he was 15 going on 16, John realized he missed way too much of his children's upbringing.

John Madden announced his retirement as a coach shortly thereafter.

and how is this relevant to Don Shula?

4 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

and how is this relevant to Don Shula?

I think he was going with the “NFL coaches being oblivious to something that should be obvious” notion after the “Shula was oblivious to MV” post. 

As you my know, I speak fluent “derail” :) 

Edited by Dadrian