Trip to Miami 2020!

Dadrian

First, we stopped at The (New) Auto Toy Store in Pompano Beach because I saw they had a white Testarossa for sale on their website.

The old location was in Fort Lauderdale, and was originally the car dealership we see briefly in the pilot opening theme montage ("Auto Pinache"?).

Anyway, they are in a smaller building now, but the cars are still great, especially this 1988 Testarossa with white leather!:

1.2.jpg

1.1.jpg

1.3.jpg

1.4.jpg

1.5.jpg

1.6.JPG

• Like 11

Most of you probably realize I don't take myself too seriously. Life's too short. :)

Here I am in all my season 3 Hugo Boss suit with Persol Ratti shades glory! :p

We were headed out on the town...

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We woke up the next morning to the news of a tropical depression that had made landfall on our doorstep. That didn't stop us! :) 

We headed straight for the shops at Biscayne to have some breakfast, do some shopping, and see Crockett's marina.

We had to seek shelter in the Hard Rock Cafe for awhile, but it was fun.

3.1.jpg

3.2.jpg

3.3.jpg

3.4.jpg

3.5.jpg

3.6.jpg

3.7.jpg

• Like 6

Every time I listen to Jan Hammer in my car, I feel the exact same way.

Fantastic pictures from Miami, by the way. I've never been and these pics make me want to go even more.

• Thanks 1

Wow Dadrian, great trip.  When did you make this trip?  If it was after the plague struck what did you notice, reduced rates, empty streets?  Thanks.

• Like 1

My wife wanted to tour the Vizcaya mansion. We had never been in our previous trips, so that was our next stop.

It was an absolutely unforgettable experience. I highly recommend it to anyone!

I managed to get this little video of the gazebo where Castillo meets the drug dealer in "Whatever Works". I somehow did not get carried off by the 65 mph winds. :) 

Me being silly again: the babalocha stood me up. :) :) :) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

As many of you know, the iconic Suntrust tower seen from mid season 2 on is no longer visible in the typical skyline view. There are some taller, but far less recognizable towers in front of it now. We did drive by it one afternoon, and I snapped this photo:

5.1.jpg

That night we went to Mi Tiera for some authentic Columbian cuisine. This is just down the street from where C&T park the Daytona before going in to roust Menton at the message parlor in the "Golden Triangle (pt2)" teaser.

6.1.jpg

• Like 3

Then we drove down towards South Beach.

While so close by, I decided to visit a location I've always wanted to get a shot of.

I had only recently found out I had been there SEVERAL times, but never realized it was THIS shot (alley between the 17th St. parking garage and Lincoln Road Mall)

I got pictures from both angles ("Free Verse" and "Stone's War"). It was really cool because the rain had made the streets wet just like we see in the episodes. I even made a little video of the "Free Verse" angle.

7.1.jpg

7.2.jpg

• Like 7

The next day we had lunch at the Mexican restaurant in The Clay Hotel. I snapped this shot from Espanola Way of the windows behind which C&T have lunch with Trini (Izzy) in the Pilot. This area was in so many episodes.

8.1.jpg

• Like 4

Next we had to get some refreshments. It was so hot. Like Arzola, we decided to cool out at The Carlyle for a bit. I chose the table where Ira Stone set up shop in "Back in the World":

10.1.jpg

10.2.jpg

• Like 3

Before heading out, I drove down to South Miami to see the building where JJ's diner used to be. I'd never been there, and the final scene from "Home Invaders" is one of my favorites.

The previous establishment (a pub) has closed. Hopefully they will turn it back into a diner.

I also took some pictures of the shops across the street, as I believe it was Airtommy(?) who sussed out the jewelry store scene from "Home Invaders" was also filmed in that area.

note: in the second photo, it appears there's a hole in the ceiling through which a tree is visible. That's actually just a reflection of the tree behind me (reflected by the window I'm looking through).

12.1.jpg

12.2.jpg

12.3.jpg

12.4.jpg

12.5.jpg

12.6.jpg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Wow Dadrian, great trip.  When did you make this trip?  If it was after the plague struck what did you notice, reduced rates, empty streets?  Thanks.

It was this past weekend (9/10 - 9/14). It was definitely less crowded than my other trips--partly because of the weather, but mostly because of the pandemic. We all had masks on in public, and everyone was practicing social distancing. It was still very enjoyable for us.

• Like 2

Great stuff.    :thumbsup:     Vizcaya is my favorite thing in Miami.

You didn't really miss anything with JJ's being gutted.  I ate there when it was Irish Times.  It had already been heavily renovated.  It was split into two restaurants and the end was completely different.  The curved wall with glass bricks had been turned into a doorway (the corner entrance in your last photo).

jjs1.png.f34ad4bd61a5b49e8a498a4d23df09c6.png  jjs2.png.3c99061a53cb67baf58d6734327ec096.png

curved glass brick wall was at doorway:

P1000810b.thumb.JPG.74e57c82ee5163ce6433bbe68830cfd9.JPG

looking from the opposite direction:

P1000809b.thumb.JPG.83b8fb386e5689125245079b6db1f54e.JPG

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Great stuff.    :thumbsup:     Vizcaya is my favorite thing in Miami.

You didn't really miss anything with JJ's being gutted. 

Thanks! Yes, Vizcaya is truly to be experienced. I will never forget it. 

I was thinking Irish Times was the latest version of the address, but I didn’t know it was closed till I got there. It was still cool to see the building in person. 

I wish I had the resources to turn it back into JJ’s! That would be so cool. The area looks to be thriving with other businesses. There’s no reason a good restaurant should be unsuccessful there. 

5 hours ago, Dadrian said:

It was a great trip. I hope you enjoy these posts! :thumbsup:

I truly did, thanks for sharing. God, these pics make me so wanna go there again...it's been way too long. 6 years...also went to Vizcaya, spent almost a whole day there. It's really beautiful and there are so many spots that you will recognize from the series. 

Btw I noticed you and I seem to have become brothers in hairstyle...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Great pics and trip story @Dadrian!

sad to see another landmark (JJs building) gone or crippled compared to the beautiful state it was in the 80s.

the jewelry store from Home Invaders is on the same side of Sunset Drive as JJs restaurant, just to avoid confusion for others who want to go there in person.

• Thanks 1