Happy Thanksgiving!

Ferrariman

• Administrators

It's been a tough year. A year that will have us celebrating a very different Thanksgiving. Most of us won't be able to celebrate with family and friends as we usually would. But I'd still like to think that we do have things to be thankful for.  Being able to enjoy friends on this site for one.

Here in Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving in early October.   What would be Columbus Day in the U.S.   Being born and raised in New Jersey, I get to celebrate Thanksgiving twice. A nice little perk.  

So I'd like to wish all our members a Happy Thanksgiving.  Hopefully we can make the best of it and look forward to a better Thanksgiving next year!

Everyone stay safe!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ferrariman said:

It's been a tough year. A year that will have us celebrating a very different Thanksgiving. Most of us won't be able to celebrate with family and friends as we usually would. But I'd still like to think that we do have things to be thankful for.  Being able to enjoy friends on this site for one.

Here in Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving in early October.   What would be Columbus Day in the U.S.   Being born and raised in New Jersey, I get to celebrate Thanksgiving twice. A nice little perk.  

So I'd like to wish all our members a Happy Thanksgiving.  Hopefully we can make the best of it and look forward to a better Thanksgiving next year!

Everyone stay safe!

Happy Thanksgiving Lou to you and family - also to everyone one here. Have a Vice Day all.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Happy late Thanksgiving, everybody! I just had a small celebration with my wife and her parents. We all have little contact with the outside world other than with ourselves.

I’ve never been a big fan of turkey. I like the turkey cold-cuts for sandwiches, but real roasted turkey is always dry and stringy. It seems like more people are having duck now, but turkey is still the mainstay. I’ve never had duck, myself. Rotisserie chicken would be great for Thanksgiving! However, I eat chicken several times a week already!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

Happy late Thanksgiving, everybody! I just had a small celebration with my wife and her parents. We all have little contact with the outside world other than with ourselves.

I’ve never been a big fan of turkey. I like the turkey cold-cuts for sandwiches, but real roasted turkey is always dry and stringy. It seems like more people are having duck now, but turkey is still the mainstay. I’ve never had duck, myself. Rotisserie chicken would be great for Thanksgiving! However, I eat chicken several times a week already!

Brine the turkey in a bucket 12 hours ahead of the big day and I guarantee it will not be dry.  Check out Alton Brown’s show Good Eats on the topic.  My wife did this the first time we hosted our families 20 years ago and always does now.  My dad couldn’t shut up about how juicy the bird was much to my mother’s chagrin, and my mother in law seemed a bit shocked that my wife made such a good turkey on her first try.  LOL!

Here’s a link:

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/good-eats-roast-turkey/

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

Brine the turkey in a bucket 12 hours ahead of the big day and I guarantee it will not be dry.  Check out Alton Brown’s show Good Eats on the topic.  My wife did this the first time we hosted our families 20 years ago and always does now.  My dad couldn’t shut up about how juicy the bird was much to my mother’s chagrin, and my mother in law seemed a bit shocked that my wife made such a good turkey on her first try.  LOL!

Here’s a link:

Thanks for the advice! I’ve never made turkey, myself. Perhaps I could try to recommend this to my in-laws without offending them, lol!

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, pahonu said:

Here’s a link:

Yep. I loved watching Good Eats with Alton back when the show was originally on. I bought seasons 1 & 2 on DVD when they came out but they never produced any more seasons. I searched and searched to no avail until finally I found all season on Apple TV and I bought them all.

I loved the Thanksgiving turkey episode and have been brining my turkeys for over 20 years or whenever that ep first came out. I rewatch it ever year just prior to making my turkey just so I don’t miss anything. 

I never could find crystalized ginger to put in the brine at any supermarket in my area so I ended up buying a big bottle on the internet that will probably last me another 20 years.

I was surprise at how the turkey triangle actually seemed to work and I always followed his directions of 500* for 1/2 hour and then turn down and use the thermometer till 165* on the white meat, pull, rest, eat, take a nap! :)

I learned a lot about cooking from watching that show and have made a lot of his recipes. 

One that I loved was baked smoked paprika chicken thighs over sliced potatoes and onions. One pan dish and so good. 

His cornish hens with pearl onion and bacon was really good too. 

As a result, I always brine my chicken, turkey and even pork chops prior to cooking. I never eat dry meat again!

Thanks Alton! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, timm525 said:

Yep. I loved watching Good Eats with Alton back when the show was originally on. I bought seasons 1 & 2 on DVD when they came out but they never produced any more seasons. I searched and searched to no avail until finally I found all season on Apple TV and I bought them all.

I loved the Thanksgiving turkey episode and have been brining my turkeys for over 20 years or whenever that ep first came out. I rewatch it ever year just prior to making my turkey just so I don’t miss anything. 

I never could find crystalized ginger to put in the brine at any supermarket in my area so I ended up buying a big bottle on the internet that will probably last me another 20 years.

I was surprise at how the turkey triangle actually seemed to work and I always followed his directions of 500* for 1/2 hour and then turn down and use the thermometer till 165* on the white meat, pull, rest, eat, take a nap! :)

I learned a lot about cooking from watching that show and have made a lot of his recipes. 

One that I loved was baked smoked paprika chicken thighs over sliced potatoes and onions. One pan dish and so good. 

His cornish hens with pearl onion and bacon was really good too. 

As a result, I always brine my chicken, turkey and even pork chops prior to cooking. I never eat dry meat again!

Thanks Alton! 

Yes, the little foil triangle totally works and the 500 degree start is a must!  It was a great show, I think, because it dispensed with tradition in the kitchen, no matter how deeply held the beliefs, and followed the science.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all the wonderful people in this community, a community that practically breathes for each other and never forgets a Barbara Streisand cameo. I myself have to race to the hotel today for an 8 PM meeting of the Sanitation Justice League (a meeting postponed the last two days; it's a goofy job with its heart in the right place=)), then tomorrow I'm eating a turkey loaf and viewing the film "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles", as is my tradition. Hope everyone stays safe and has a little fun with whatever they have planned, and I'll be back on the comp Saturday!

• Like 4

On 11/26/2020 at 11:04 AM, Matt5 said:

Not long to this y’all ...Such a happy photo!

65438A79-297A-4EE2-88E9-1B6D5C0E0A79.jpeg

Love it, especially if I picture Castillo as a Santa-type character (one doesn't have to tell Marty what they want, since he already knows, which is why he's a man of few words. I'm sure Castillo would Santa the heck out of the holidays for sure!).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2020 at 9:35 AM, Ferrariman said:

Everyone stay safe!

Well said Ferrariman; for me my family is in the past, so I do my own thing while being my true self, and that is something I'm thankful for;).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

tomorrow I'm eating a turkey loaf and viewing the film "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles", as is my tradition. 

Same here my friend! (minus the turkey loaf ;)) One of my favorite movies!  

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1