Sad News - Gregory Sierra

sredd

Of course I am very sorry for him and he was a very likeable character and actor.

But I remember that EJO said in an interview how he got the role and he also explained why he wanted to have artistic control over Castillo´s character. In short, he said that the buddy-like L;t. Rodriguez was a superior character like in any other cop show at the time and that this was one of the few weaknesses of this otherwise very innovative series and needed to be changed. 

I fully agree and I cannot imagine how the series would have worked with Rodriguez in it. It was a nice but boring character without any interesting background to go with. There would have been no base for episodes like Golden Triangle, Borrasca, Heart of night and others.

So, let´s mourn the actor, but be happy at the same time that Castillo appeared on the scene at all to replace him.

P.S. I never understood why Sierra wanted out. He auditioned for a pilot of a series in a main role and then did not want to do the series after 2 episodes because he had to live in Miami (that fact was not a surprise either)....?

• Like 2

RIP Lt. Rodriguez. And Tom, I think the majority here are familiar with how Castillo came to be. And if not there are other threads they can look at. Gregory Sierra was a great actor and I suspect he fit Yerkovich's concept for the show perfectly. He wouldn't have been cast if he hadn't. If he fit Mann's (constantly) evolving concept is a topic for another thread.

• Like 3

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

btw: I think there are at least 2 other threads here about it. ;)

Took a quick look around first but didn't find anything.  Doesn't surprise me cause I'm always late to the party! :p

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

btw: I think there are at least 2 other threads here about it. ;)

The 2 topics are now merged. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Took a quick look around first but didn't find anything.  Doesn't surprise me cause I'm always late to the party! :p

Me too...when Tanya Roberts passed away a couple weeks ago I looked around & didn’t see any posts about it (of course in off topic or non-MV threads), and so I went ahead and posted about it. However, there actually did seem to already be a post & so mine was just merged with the other. :dance2: 

Sad about Gregory Sierra...although the 2-part Hit List & Calderone’s Demise are probably my favorite episode/s, it’ll make watching ‘Lou’s’ death that much harder. ;( 

On 1/23/2021 at 8:55 AM, Robbie C. said:

RIP Lt. Rodriguez. And Tom, I think the majority here are familiar with how Castillo came to be. And if not there are other threads they can look at. Gregory Sierra was a great actor and I suspect he fit Yerkovich's concept for the show perfectly. He wouldn't have been cast if he hadn't. If he fit Mann's (constantly) evolving concept is a topic for another thread.

Greg was cast when the show was going to be filmed in Los Angeles, when it was announced it was going to be filmed in Miami, Greg really didn't want to go, so he asked be written out. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 11:07 AM, Tom said:

P.S. I never understood why Sierra wanted out. He auditioned for a pilot of a series in a main role and then did not want to do the series after 2 episodes because he had to live in Miami (that fact was not a surprise either)....?

I guess he sort of regretted it after one year when the show became a success of global proportions. As with EJO, it took 4 calls from Micheal Mann to convince him and each time the producer went up with the contract fee. And on top of that was given creative control on how to develop his character.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1