Don Johnson in new series with Kenan Thompson

pahonu

I just saw a trailer for a new comedy called Kenan to debut on NBC Feb 16.  It stars Kenan Thompson of SNL and DJ.  They look to be roommates, but it’s only about 10 seconds long so I can’t say for certain.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tom said:

going by this pic that DJ posted himself I would say the storyline is about three roommates who raise two kids.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-24 um 22.15.51.png

The third actor is Chris Redd, who’s also from SNL.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I just saw a trailer for a new comedy called Kenan to debut on NBC Feb 16.  It stars Kenan Thompson of SNL and DJ.  They look to be roommates, but it’s only about 10 seconds long so I can’t say for certain.

Saw it, and couldn't believe what I was seeing.   The 10 seconds was enough for me.  Sorry but I'll pass.  Waaaaay below DJ's standards.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

So another employment vehicle for SNL people? *yawn*

Some of the SNL cast have made some pretty funny and highly popular movies based on skits or not: Animal House and The Blues Brothers Brothers for Belushi, Wayne’s World and Austin Powers for Mike Myers, plus some good original work from Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, Will Farrell, Tina Fey, Adam Sandler, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, and Andy Samberg.  There’s also a whole group who were only on SNL briefly that went on to success like Ben Stiller and Julia Louis-Dreyfus.  

My wife and I have been watching for 35+ years and the number of times we hear comments from people or read articles about how SNL used to be better is almost laughable, like it went in a straight line from genius to garbage.  It’s gone through ups and downs like any creative enterprise but it continues because people still watch and the there’s always new cast.  So many talented individuals have worked on it that simply dismissing it is shortsighted in my view.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Saw it, and couldn't believe what I was seeing.   The 10 seconds was enough for me.  Sorry but I'll pass.  Waaaaay below DJ's standards.

I’ve enjoyed Kenan Thompson on SNL for many years.  He’s the longest serving cast-member in series history and his real strength is in his comedic reactions rather than impersonations or unique characters.   I’m just curious to see how DJ does with straight comedy.  He had lots of witty comebacks in MV but most actors agree, comedy is even harder than drama.  I won’t judge it to be below him until I see it, and then, he hasn’t done much lately so I won’t begrudge him trying something new and seeing what happens. Some pretty well known dramatic actors over the years have made the transition to comedy and surprised everyone.  That said, most haven’t done so well.  It’s not easy to do.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

?(  ummm.....Well props to DJ for trying something new.  I will say he was funny as hell as Kenny Powers' father on "Eastbound and Down".

I can’t say I’m optimistic but maybe he’ll surprise everyone with his comedic ability.  Who knows until he tries?

Don looks happy and healthy. With all the sickness and death going on (especially in his generation these days), I’m just glad to see him working...anything by an “RIP Don Johnson” thread!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pahonu said:

Some of the SNL cast have made some pretty funny and highly popular movies based on skits or not: Animal House and The Blues Brothers Brothers for Belushi, Wayne’s World and Austin Powers for Mike Myers, plus some good original work from Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Chevy Chase, Will Farrell, Tina Fey, Adam Sandler, Amy Poehler, Kristen Wiig, and Andy Samberg.  There’s also a whole group who were only on SNL briefly that went on to success like Ben Stiller and Julia Louis-Dreyfus.  

My wife and I have been watching for 35+ years and the number of times we hear comments from people or read articles about how SNL used to be better is almost laughable, like it went in a straight line from genius to garbage.  It’s gone through ups and downs like any creative enterprise but it continues because people still watch and the there’s always new cast.  So many talented individuals have worked on it that simply dismissing it is shortsighted in my view.

About half the people you list there are not what I would consider comic greats, so it all comes down to taste. Will Ferrell is a set-up guy in my view, not really lead comedic stuff (kind of like Dan Aykroyd). Never found either Tina Fey or Amy Poehler especially funny (and Parks and Rec pushed the cancellation of My Name is Earl, which was a much funnier show in my view), and Adam Sandler is clearly a taste I failed to acquire right up there with arsenic and lye soap. SNL is one of those "institutions" you either like or you don't, it seems, and I lost patience for it some time back.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

About half the people you list there are not what I would consider comic greats, so it all comes down to taste. Will Ferrell is a set-up guy in my view, not really lead comedic stuff (kind of like Dan Aykroyd). Never found either Tina Fey or Amy Poehler especially funny (and Parks and Rec pushed the cancellation of My Name is Earl, which was a much funnier show in my view), and Adam Sandler is clearly a taste I failed to acquire right up there with arsenic and lye soap. SNL is one of those "institutions" you either like or you don't, it seems, and I lost patience for it some time back.

I think the last time I actually sat to watch SNL was when there was a good chance of Will Ferrell and Chris Kataan doing their "Roxbury" routine.  I knew Kenan was one of the stars but I probably couldn't name another actor currently from that show.  Definitely not a dig at the current cast's talent, it's just I must've lost interest a long time ago and never really got back into it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I think the last time I actually sat to watch SNL was when there was a good chance of Will Ferrell and Chris Kataan doing their "Roxbury" routine.  I knew Kenan was one of the stars but I probably couldn't name another actor currently from that show.  Definitely not a dig at the current cast's talent, it's just I must've lost interest a long time ago and never really got back into it.

That's kind of where I sit, too. I do like the Sean Connery Jeopardy skits, but I haven't seen anything in ages that really makes me say "Damn, I gotta watch SNL!" Both In Living Color and Mad TV were funnier when they hit, at least to me. They weren't afraid to poke sticks at everything, not just certain things.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I agree it’s all about taste.  In the end we’re talking about entertainment.  I still hold SNL has had incredible talent, perhaps more so than any other single institution with the possible exception of Second City.  In the end, however, it opened up doors to bigger things for so many performers.  Yes, there have been some weak seasons over the years but somebody new always pops up, so I think those who write it off entirely often miss some pretty good stuff.  Of course, today you can find all the skits online so that has changed things. 

• Like 3

I have recorded/watched SNL for YEARS. The last 5 years or so have been hit or miss or miss or miss (I sift through 100% of it to reap the 25% yield of comedy). The musical guests seem to now be down to maybe a 10% yield, though.

Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader were my most recent favorites, and I was really sad about their departure. 

No matter my personal political standpoint, I can always appreciate the satire and the obvious humor to be found in the current state of the world, along with its corresponding events (the Weekend Update will always be great to me, as the material will never cease to spawn). 

28 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I have recorded/watched SNL for YEARS. The last 5 years or so have been hit or miss or miss or miss (I sift through 100% of it to reap the 25% yield of comedy). The musical guests seem to now be down to maybe a 10% yield, though.

Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader were my most recent favorites, and I was really sad about their departure. 

No matter my personal political standpoint, I can always appreciate the satire and the obvious humor to be found in the current state of the world, along with its corresponding events (the Weekend Update will always be great to me, as the material will never cease to spawn). 

Well put!  My wife and I DVR the show also (too old to stay up until 1:00!) and fast forward through skits not infrequently, but always watch Weekend Update.  We give each skit a chance but in reality we watch a 90 minute show in about half that time typically.  I completely agree about the musical guests.  We hit the fast forward A LOT.  I find Kate McKinnon the most talented currently.  There’s also a young woman whose been featured for two years now that has impressed me with her impressions.  I’m blanking on the name.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

All the same here, @pahonu!

32 minutes ago, pahonu said:

There’s also a young woman whose been featured for two years now that has impressed me with her impressions.  I’m blanking on the name.

Maybe Melissa Villaseñor? She is REALLY funny to me!

8 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

After miles deep, dj can do anything he wants lol

11 hours ago, Dadrian said:

All the same here, @pahonu!

Maybe Melissa Villaseñor? She is REALLY funny to me!

She’s really good with the impressions too but I was thinking of Zoey Fineman.  I had to look it up.  She did very little in the first season and I was surprised to see her back.  She was used a lot more this season and made me laugh quite a bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff_Cooper said:

Dunno, did not look too good. However, if DJ is on it, I'll watch it 

-J

I like SNL and DJ so I’ll give it a try.  Maybe we’ll be surprised.

• Like 1

If it's on NBC with someone from SNL they'll keep it around as long as they need to string jumper cables to it...:p

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Haha 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb AndrewRemington:

I’m glad Donnie is still busy, but this looks like something that will last no longer than 13 episodes.

Don’t worry! DJ has lots of experience with failed pilots (he had five before MV)! :p

• Haha 2