The "filthy" Daytona

Adrian321

Hi there fellow MV fans. 

Today, an idea came up to my mind: "Why not do a -filthy-Daytona tribute video on youtube ?"

I mean, I've seen on Youtube several Testarossa-jewel tributes. More or less with the Testarossa in main view. And, of course, very well deserved ones, however, I didn't see a propper, well done -filthy- Daytona tribute. Not a long one, 2-3 minutes with the best scenes of it, like the "In the air tonight" scene, the "Bought and paid for" chase, "No guarantees" scene, etc.

I would do it myself, but I am pretty bad at editing unfortunately. Is this idea any good ? What do you think ?

Just now, Dadrian said:

What exactly do you mean by “filthy”?

"Filthy"=dirty/fake for me, and it is a fake Ferrari. This is still a huge insult to me by the producers. 

3 minutes ago, Adrian321 said:

"Filthy"=dirty/fake for me, and it is a fake Ferrari. This is still a huge insult to me by the producers. 

Think of it like this: the MV Daytona is a unique and iconic character just like Crockett and Tubbs. Are you insulted that DJ and PMT were not real cops? :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

Think of it like this: the MV Daytona is a unique and iconic character just like Crockett and Tubbs. Are you insulted that DJ and PMT were not real cops? :thumbsup:

This logic is not well used, because:

DJ and PMT were actors that played a role and it funny to think that a car was,  "an actor". Cars are cars. I don't see them credited at the end or the beggining of the episode.

Also, if I was offened that they were actors, why would I love this series so much ?

• Like 1

And, let's stay to the topic of my post please. It may be just my opinion that this is a "filthy' Daytona.

What matters is me getting either answers like : This is a good idea because (........). or: This is a bad idea because (........).

I think it would be a great idea to have a video in tribute to the Daytona.  However, I don't feel a need to disparage it simply because it wasn't a genuine Ferrari.  It may be a language issue, but your terminology gives the impression you dislike the (admittedly fake) Daytona used in the show, which makes it puzzling that you'd want to watch a tribute video about it.  So that's confusing me a little.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

I think it would be a great idea to have a video in tribute to the Daytona.  However, I don't feel a need to disparage it simply because it wasn't a genuine Ferrari.  It may be a language issue, but your terminology gives the impression you dislike the (admittedly fake) Daytona used in the show, which makes it puzzling that you'd want to watch a tribute video about it.  So that's confusing me a little.

I mean........... First, thanks for the reply.

I don't "dislike" the filthy Daytona, but, I nowhere near like it as much as the Testarossa. That's just an "identification mark" for me. A pretty suggestive one though. I can't "like" it either since it wasn't a real Ferrari, which is a BAD choice made by the producers, when they had the most audience (most budget). Ironically, the "filthy" Daytona had  a better engine performance than an actual Ferrari Daytona.

However, it being used in the first 2 seasons, deserves a "tribute" video aswell in my view. It made part of some really good/iconic scenes which I enjoyed.

With that being said, I did like both the "general" appearance and "scenical" appearance of the Testarossa. With the Daytona, I liked the "scenical" appearances mostly (popular scenes).

Edited by Adrian321
Forgot something
  • Like 2

When I think about it, in a way, I am thankful that the producers used a fake one, otherwise the Testarossa-jewel wouldn't have appeared on the show as the main characters' car.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Adrian321 said:

Also, if I was offened that they were actors, why would I love this series so much ?

I know you're not offended by that. :thumbsup:

It was simply a rhetorical question to try to help you see the MV Daytona in a greater light. 

We’ve talked about “suspension of disbelief” on the forum quite a lot over years, as that has to be applied in so many situations with MV. The “fake” Daytona is certainly one of them. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Adrian321 said:

This is a good idea because (........).

...the MV Daytona is a TV car icon! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I think the Daytona, fake or not, makes for better visuals as it’s a convertible.  The actors are more visible, when they pull up to a curb and talk to someone, for instance.  That couldn’t easily be done in the Testarossa being so tightly enclosed in a rather small interior.

There are a lot of convertibles used in TV series and film for that reason, I think.  There seem to be more of them than the percentage actually on the road.  Has anyone else ever thought about that?  Exactly zero of my friends currently has a convertible though my wife and I have one and owned two previously, yet they seem pretty common on TV and in film.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I think the Daytona, fake or not, makes for better visuals as it’s a convertible.  The actors are more visible, when they pull up to a curb and talk to someone, for instance.  That couldn’t easily be done in the Testarossa being so tightly enclosed in a rather small interior.

There are a lot of convertibles used in TV series and film for that reason, I think.  There seem to be more of them than the percentage actually on the road.  Has anyone else ever thought about that?  Exactly zero of my friends currently has a convertible though my wife and I have one and owned two previously, yet they seem pretty common on TV and in film.

Good points re the convertible and it being film/TV it doesn't have to be dependent on the weather- they can stop if it rains :) I liked it, actually, fake or not..

• Like 1

I'd take the fake daytona any day of the week, even over the Testarossa. Like Nick Nolte said in 48hrs "I'm a rag-top man":)

• Like 4

• Administrators

The only "filthy" Daytona I know is Crockett's, covered in bird droppings at the end of "Whatever Works"  (and let's not forget the litter of kittens on the front seat!)

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

The only "filthy" Daytona I know is Crockett's, covered in bird droppings at the end of "Whatever Works"  (and let's not forget the litter of kittens on the front seat!)

I was thinking of that! :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, fakespyder said:

I'd take the fake daytona any day of the week, even over the Testarossa. Like Nick Nolte said in 48hrs "I'm a rag-top man":)

I think I would too, you know. It has classic lines which haven't dated (in my opinion anyway) and that's what I'd look for a facsimile of, if there were one within reach financially.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dadrian said:

...the MV Daytona is a TV car icon! :thumbsup:

It is.  No one said it wasn't. That is also the reason why I mentioned a tribute for it in the first place.

I mean, the filthy Daytona really fitted the atmoshpere of the first 2 seasons, however, it is still "filthy" for me though......

And I didn't think that people would be so "enraged" that I titled Crockett's Daytona "The filthy Daytona".... XD.......

Also, when I thought a bit about the car being an actor:

Credits: (..........),(..............),(...........), "a" Corvette C3 with VERY HEAVY makeup -"lipstick", "mascara", "fake boobs", ......- in the role of Crockett's Daytona, "(.........), (...............),etc

It is even funny to think about the car in this way.

Edited by Adrian321
edit
  • Like 1

The conversation went more in the place of "Why is the Daytona -filthy-" rather than staying on the subject I mentioned it for - the tribute-.

So, does anyone have any criticism to my "tribute" idea ? If not, then what music shall the tribute have in your opinion, and for those 3-4 minutes, what scenes shall it contain ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

The conversation went more in the place of "Why is the Daytona -filthy-" rather than staying on the subject I mentioned it for - the tribute-.

So, does anyone have any criticism to my "tribute" idea ? If not, then what music shall the tribute have in your opinion, and for those 3-4 minutes, what scenes shall it contain ?

If you want to make one, I would say that it’s your decision about those details.  Do what you prefer.

I think the thread headed down the path it did because you replied to Dadrian’s inquiry about the word “dirty” by saying that it was a great insult to you that the producers used a fake Daytona.  I think most forum members who responded just aren’t bothered by it, so they added their thoughts. I don’t ever think about it as I’m enjoying an episode. 

The pilot actually does have one scene at the beginning with a real Daytona.  I believe using a real one became next to impossible as multiple cars are needed for production.  These are rare birds in convertible form, just over 120 from the factory, as the 365 was largely built as a hard top, the grab.  The convertible versions became so valuable at one point, I’ve read, that some hard top Ferrari 365’s were converted.  Imagine taking a cutting torch to one!:eek:

https://ferraris-online.com/all-about-daytona-conversions/

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

If you were going to make a tribute, use a song of the era. I love this song because it is so melancholy but also powerful towards the end. From about 4:05 onwards I always envision C&T driving through the night.

...and don't worry Adrian321. I don't think anyone is enraged. I know I'm not:)

Edited by fakespyder
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, fakespyder said:

If you were going to make a tribute, use a song of the era. I love this song because it is so melancholy but also powerful towards the end. From about 4:05 onwards I always envision C&T driving through the night.

...and don't worry Adrian321. I don't think anyone is enraged. I know I'm not:)

I listened the song, and it is quite nice,  I like the 4:51 rythm onwards, and feel like it'd work in the tribute, if put on the "In the air tonight" drive scene.

Any other ideas ? Would be nice if the compilation contained 2-3 diffrent songs deppending on the momment, and not just one.

My next bet is: "No guarantees".

Edited by Adrian321
edit

• 2 weeks later...

I think don't think Enzo was all together outraged at Corvette was being used to portray a Daytona, I think secretly it was all to do with promoting the Testarossa on the hottest TV show.

Basically the show was advertising his car. The main reason I think this is because why not give away real Daytona's instead of Testarossa's?

Funny thing if I have the correct is the car chases with the Testarossa were done with a fake Ferrari with it being Pantera replica, isn't that the same problem?

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1