The "filthy" Daytona

Adrian321

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think don't think Enzo was all together outraged at Corvette was being used to portray a Daytona, I think secretly it was all to do with promoting the Testarossa on the hottest TV show.

Basically the show was advertising his car. The main reason I think this is because why not give away real Daytona's instead of Testarossa's?

Funny thing if I have the correct is the car chases with the Testarossa were done with a fake Ferrari with it being Pantera replica, isn't that the same problem?

I mean........... Enzo had his own legal right to be "outraged" by the use of a fake Ferrari as a "Real" Ferrari. Who could say he didn't have any important say in this problem which involved his car brand ?

You made a good point with the adveritising role. The Testarossa was their new Ferrari. Which better way to promote it at that time ? Put it in a popular TV show. Which one ? Miami Vice. How ? Threaten to sue for the trademark use of Ferrari for that fake Daytona.

And yes, a DeTomasso Pantera was used in risky scenes, like the stunt in "Streetwise" or to U turn in episodes like "Down for the count II". However, the actual Ferrari Testarossa had most of the appearances, even in chases (that weren't too dangerous for the car's integrity).

And due to the fast pace at which those things happen, it is really hard to notice (without being very focused on details) where the Pantera stunt car was used, or without being told in advance where to look at (since the chases could have a combinations, because they are made of many segments), so it really doesn't count that much, but with the Daytona........ there weren't "fake" Daytonas for certain stunts and races, like with the Testarossa. There were just fake Daytonas everywhere and, you don't really need A LOT of attention to notice the diffrences if you know how a real Daytona looks like.

Edited by Adrian321
edit

1 minute ago, Adrian321 said:

I mean........... Enzo had his own legal right to be "outraged" by the use of a fake Ferrari as a "Real" Ferrari. Who could say he didn't have any right ?

You made a good point with the adveritising role. The Testarossa was their new Ferrari. Which better way to promote it at that time ? Put it in a popular TV show. Which one ? Miami Vice. How ? Threaten to sue for the trademark use of Ferrari for that fake Daytona.

And yes, a DeTomasso Pantera was used in risky scenes, like the stunt in "Streetwise" or to U turn in episodes like "Down for the count II". However, the actual Ferrari Testarossa had most of the appearances, even in chases (that weren't too dangerous for the car's integrity).

And due to the fast pace at which those things happen, it is really hard to notice (without being very focused on details) where the Pantera stunt car was used, or without being told in advanced, so it really doesn't count, but with the Daytona........ there weren't "fake" Daytonas for certain stunts and races. There were just fake Daytonas everywhere and, don't really need A LOT of attention to notice the diffrences if you know how a real Daytona looks like.

The real solution should have been Enzo giving the production team real Daytona's, like the one we saw in "One Way Ticket" and "The Pilot"

But I guess the hidden agenda was to promote his new car.

• Like 2

Just now, RedDragon86 said:

The real solution should have been Enzo giving the production team real Daytona's, like the one we saw in "One Way Ticket" and "The Pilot"

That could've been a choice. However, this wouldn't have been enough for Enzo. He had the perfect opportunity to advertise his new car. Why wouldn't he ? 

Also, the actual Ferrari Daytona they'd recieve would be...... how to say ?...... A bit too diffrent than the "filthy" one. Let's set the engine diffrences outside a bit, but the small diffrences would pop op and would be noticed, they'd be to evident. Fans would wonder "Why did Crockett's car change in looks and performance, can't the producers have a bit of continuity atleast ?"

Also, I think the Testarossa was a neccesary change for S3 onwards. The show recieved MANY changes that made it feel darker, and I feel like the "filthy" Daytona converitble wouldn't fit as good as the Testarossa did. So wouldn't the Testarossa in the "shiny" S1 and 2 athmosphere.  That is just my opinion.

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

How would giving the production real Daytonas benefit Ferrari?  The Testarossa gifts were all about promoting the new model and really not even that hidden of an agenda. :)

• Administrators
6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think don't think Enzo was all together outraged at Corvette was being used to portray a Daytona, I think secretly it was all to do with promoting the Testarossa on the hottest TV show.

Basically the show was advertising his car. The main reason I think this is because why not give away real Daytona's instead of Testarossa's?

Funny thing if I have the correct is the car chases with the Testarossa were done with a fake Ferrari with it being Pantera replica, isn't that the same problem?

2 things come to mind. 

Using real Daytonas could be a costly endeavor since it was a 1970 car.   It was out of production and probably very hard and costly to replace or repair if damaged.

and the Testarossa was a brand new car (1984-1991)  I can't see them using a high dollar car for stunts. 

For the casual viewer who doesn't nit pick every little detail (like us!) use of a stunt car probably wasn't even noticed. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Adrian321 said:

That could've been a choice. However, this wouldn't have been enough for Enzo. He had the perfect opportunity to advertise his new car. Why wouldn't he ? 

Also, the actual Ferrari Daytona they'd recieve would be...... how to say ?...... A bit too diffrent than the "filthy" one. Let's set the engine diffrences outside a bit, but the small diffrences would pop op and would be noticed, they'd be to evident. Fans would wonder "Why did Crockett's car change in looks and performance, can't the producers have a bit of continuity atleast ?"

Also, I think the Testarossa was a neccesary change for S3 onwards. The show recieved MANY changes that made it feel darker, and I feel like the "filthy" Daytona converitble wouldn't fit as good as the Testarossa did. So wouldn't the Testarossa in the "shiny" S1 and 2 athmosphere.  That is just my opinion.

The only issue i had with the Testarossa was the fact it wasn't a convertible car.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

2 things come to mind. 

Using real Daytonas could be a costly endeavor since it was a 1970 car.   It was out of production and probably very hard and costly to replace or repair if damaged.

and the Testarossa was a brand new car (1984-1991)  I can't see them using a high dollar car for stunts. 

For the casual viewer who doesn't nit pick every little detail (like us!) use of a stunt car probably wasn't even noticed. 

I am the casual viewer when it come to cars :) I admit it still love the Daytona even though it's a replica because of the top down and it looks cooler and is inconspicuous. 

To begin with I think it would have blown Burnett's cover in months of him receiving it, drug dealers would have caught on to a guy driving around in a slick White Testarossa for over 3 years. Initially they had the right idea with the low key Black convertible.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I am the casual viewer when it come to cars :) I admit it still love the Daytona even though it's a replica because of the top down and it looks cooler and is inconspicuous. 

To begin with I think it would have blown Burnett's cover in months of him receiving it, drug dealers would have caught on to a guy driving around in a slick White Testarossa for over 3 years. Initially they had the right idea with the low key Black convertible.

:thumbsup:  100%!   

16 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

To begin with I think it would have blown Burnett's cover in months of him receiving it, drug dealers would have caught on to a guy driving around in a slick White Testarossa for over 3 years. Initially they had the right idea with the low key Black convertible.

I mean.................. about "inconpiciounesness" of the Daytona. I don't think you got that right. I mean, if I'd see a black convertible Ferrari stalking me, I'd find that just as inconspicious as a white, non convertible Ferrari Testarossa.

Though, I have to admit, the coolest aspect of Ferrari Daytona was it's convertible nature. However, how many cars are actual convertibles ? Well......... not many, so, it will be just as "inconspicuous" as a white, shiny, new Ferrari.

Though, the Testarossa still remains my favourite MV car, even if the seasons in appeared in may have had many bad episodes, and there weren't as many popular scenes as with the Daytona, even if there were 3 seasons to do that, not 2.

Edited by Adrian321
Forgot something

• Administrators

This is one of those situations where you have to suspend disbelief.  Of course Sonny would've been made after a few drug deals but on the other hand, to quote Sonny: "showing up for 6 figure drug deals looking like  'Lil Abner ain't gonna cut it!"  ;)

• Like 1