Is this MV BluRay Box worth a 180 bucks?

Noogman03

That's a really cool looking box set but a little bothered by the Testarossa on the front cover instead of the Daytona :eek:

Apparently it has English subtitles, so I would've bought this set just for that if I didn't have MV on blu-ray already.

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb Vincent Hanna:

That's a really cool looking box set but a little bothered by the Testarossa on the front cover instead of the Daytona :eek:

If that´s the only item to complain we are lucky. :p (if you compare it with the fast and ugly artwork of the French and the Mills Creek release....)

I get you, but they could not have used both cars and I guess the white car fits better color palette wise to the overall art work. AND: the Testarossa was in much more episodes than the Daytona (statistics don´t lie:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

You are again trying to manipulate what I said: I respect that you like the original airings better (even if that makes no sense to me as I also own all older versions and they ARE dull compared to Koch set). But I do not accept that you give ratings and advice on a box set that you don´t have yourself. And I doubt that your "second hand" experience (just heard about it) will help the fan who asked more than my first hand experience. There were also other reviews here on the forum from fans who have the box so he does not base his decision on me only.

He can buy what he wants but I would base my 180 bucks decision rather on a first hand buyer experience than on opinion of someone who does not have it.

I’m not manipulating anything, LOL! I’m going by what you’re saying, and how upset and irate you keep getting over a Blu-ray set! :baby: 

I understand that you like the Koch set, that’s great! But I typically don’t want the colors altered or changed or turned into these bright neon things when that’s not how they originally were or were meant to be.  

No matter what excuse anyone tries to come up with, you cannot beat original airings! They have the original colors, how the colors were meant to be and to look, the original logos & logo colors are included, and I even have the original commercial bumpers, which is very rare anymore to find for any of the old shows! 

Now, all of us know you love the Koch set...that’s fine. You sadly can’t buy original airings, either—all that’s available are digitally remastered & altered syndicated reruns. So, the person may buy this set & you’ll get your way. ;) But, I have MV-gold & don’t need any other sets...especially ones heading towards $200!! :eek:  But, if they don’t already have DVDs or Blu-Rays they may be willing to pay that. :thumbsup: 

vor 12 Minuten schrieb ViceFanMan:

I’m not manipulating anything, LOL! I’m going by what you’re saying, and how upset and irate you keep getting over a Blu-ray set! :baby:   

No matter what excuse anyone tries to come up with, you cannot beat original airings! They have the original colors, how the colors were meant to be and to look, the original logos & logo colors are included, and I even have the original commercial bumpers, which is very rare anymore to find for any of the old shows! 

Yes you are. First you have insinuated that I am getting paid by Koch and want people to buy it because I get a cut, then you said I am dissing you because you like the orginal airings although I wrote many times I am just against judging a restaurant where you never were. That´s manipulation and slanderous by the way pal! No way around it. Stand by what you wrote. It´s there in black and white. 

And, frankly, I don´t get your logic why only the original airings have the original colors? What exactly do you mean?  The colors how they were meant to look were not on the original TV airings but on the original 35mm film. The original airings were on small non HD TV sets in the 80s and on VHS tapes that are crappy by today´s standards. If you like that for sentimental reasons it´s ok but if you honestly want to argue that the 35 year old tapes or the 15 year old (non HD) DVDs look better (I mean sharpness, brightness, colors and details) than Koch´s current BluRay then I cannot take you seriously anymore :) 

Edited by Tom

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yes you are. First you have insinuated that I am getting paid by Koch and want people to buy it because I get a cut, then you said I am dissing you because you like the orginal airings although I wrote many times I am just against judging a restaurant where you never were. That´s manipulation and slanderous by the way pal! No way around it. Stand by what you wrote. It´s there in black and white. 

And, frankly, I don´t get your logic why only the original airings have the original colors? What exactly do you mean?  The colors how they were meant to look were not on the original TV airings but on the original 35mm film. The original airings were on small non HD TV sets in the 80s and on VHS tapes that are crappy by today´s standards. If you like that for sentimental reasons it´s ok but if you honestly want to argue that the 35 year old tapes or the 15 year old (non HD) DVDs look better than Koch´s current BluRay then I cannot take you seriously anymore :) 

You were the one that made it sound like you had something to do with the Koch set...if you didn’t, fine...I don’t care one way or another, lol!  I’m still finding it rather hilarious that you’re this worked up and irate over a Blu-ray set, LOL! :)

The original airings I have were put onto DVD, but they were from original airings taped when the episodes originally aired.  I don’t care what excuse you or anyone else tries to come up with, the colors are amazing and how they are originally were and were meant to be. They’re not digitally remastered, but the person that did it for me also must’ve done something to improve them...as I swear the picture seems HD and it’s pretty awesome! 

But, digitally remastering things can sometimes improve things, but a lot of times it also changes or alters how they originally looked. The color may be more vibrant, but it’s not how it originally looked or was meant to look...especially if the color was pastel.

The syndicated reruns, which all of the DVD and Blu-ray sets have used, changed or altered colors for a lot of different things originally anyway. So, even if they’ve been digitally remastered or made more intense, they still weren’t exactly the right or original color... including with the show logo. 

Again, you can’t go by the original airings, so you are probably still safe. :p 

Edited by ViceFanMan

vor 20 Minuten schrieb ViceFanMan:

You were the one that made it sound like you had something to do with the Koch set...if you didn’t, fine...I don’t care one way or another, lol!  I’m still finding it rather hilarious that you’re this worked up and irate over a Blu-ray set, LOL! :)

The original airings I have were put onto DVD, but they were from original airings taped when the episodes originally aired.  I don’t care what excuse you or anyone else tries to come up with, the colors are amazing and how they are originally were and we’re meant to be. They’re not digitally remastered, but the person that did it for me also must’ve done something to improve them...as I swear the picture seems HD and it’s pretty awesome! 

But, digitally remastering things can sometimes improve things, but a lot of times it also changes or alters how they originally looked. The color may be more vibrant, but it’s not how it originally looked or was meant to look...especially if the color was pastel.

The syndicated reruns, which all of the DVD and Blu-ray sets have used, changed or altered colors for a lot of different things originally anyway. So, even if they’ve been digitally remastered or made more intense, they still weren’t exactly the right or original color... including with the show logo. 

Again, you can’t go by the original airings, so you are probably still safe. :p 

You gotta read carefully and in context. I wrote I provided some audio to a friend who helped to restore it. I did not work for Koch. My point was that I had direct insight in their working method and how much effort they put into all details, like they were real fans and not just publishers. 

And again, unless you don´t have the Koch set saying there is nothing better than the (non HD) original airings is simply ridiculous. You never have tried the food there but you know it´s not that good anyway? 

And your friend made a better digital copy of your original VHS airings than Koch did from the original Universal HD master? Honestly? That´s gotta be movie magic!

Anyway. OK, stick with it. Your choice. But that makes YOU look religious and will not earn you any credibility points.

When I got the US DVD set I stopped watching my old VHS tapes because of the huge difference. When I got the Koch set, I stopped watching the US DVD set for the same reason. I tried all of it and made my decision. You have never seen the Koch set and made yours. That´s called prejudice.

P.S. I don´t irate over a BluRay set. I pointed out that it is a bad attitude  1. to judge something for others you never tried yourself  2. to spoil the original request of the fan who asked us for honest buying advice with your unfounded statements over a set you have never seen or tried yourself. If you still don´t get the difference, you gotta think about it once more.

Edited by Tom

41 minutes ago, Tom said:

You gotta read carefully and in context. I wrote I provided some audio to a friend who helped to restore it. I did not work for Koch. My point was that I had direct insight in their working method and how much effort they put into all details, like they were real fans and not just publishers. 

And again, unless you don´t have the Koch set saying there is nothing better than the (non HD) original airings is simply ridiculous. You never have tried the food there but you know it´s not that good anyway? 

And your friend made a better digital copy of your original VHS airings than Koch did from the original Universal HD master? Honestly? That´s gotta be movie magic!

Anyway. OK, stick with it. Your choice. But that makes YOU look religious and will not earn you any credibility points.

When I got the US DVD set I stopped watching my old VHS tapes because of the huge difference. When I got the Koch set, I stopped watching the US DVD set for the same reason. I tried all of it and made my decision. You have never seen the Koch set and made yours. That´s called prejudice.

P.S. I don´t irate over a BluRay set. I pointed out that it is a bad attitude  1. to judge something for others you never tried yourself  2. to spoil the original request of the fan who asked us for honest buying advice with your unfounded statements over a set you have never seen or tried yourself. If you still don´t get the difference, you gotta think about it once more.

Lol...the only one who has spoiled anything, been rude & insulting, and yes...gotten so upset & irate over the specifications of a Blu-Ray set...is you. ;)

It’s perfectly fine if you love the Koch thing...but no matter what you or anyone else tries to say, there’s no reason others can’t love or be satisfied with original airings or other sets. 

• Like 1

Gerade eben schrieb ViceFanMan:

Lol...the only one who has spoiled anything, been rude & insulting, and yes...gotten so upset & irate over the specifications of a Blu-Ray set...is you. ;)

It’s perfectly fine if you love the Koch thing...but no matter what you or anyone else tries to say, there’s no reason others can’t love or be satisfied with original airings or other sets. 

you live in your own fake news fantasy I see as you started to getting personal by accusing me of being paid and turning every single argument I used around on me just because I stated judging something you don´t know makes no sense and is also misleading to the fan who started the question in the first place and might believe your statement for that reason. My problem is that my default thinking always is that people want to discuss and have at least some logic to their postings and not just rant on something for the rant´s sake or just because they need to unload their opinion at all cost on everyone.

And thanks for NOT answering my honest question what medium exactly you are referring to when you said the original airings are way better. No answer sometimes is better than an answer in this context as well. 

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

you live in your own fake news fantasy I see as you started to getting personal by accusing me of being paid and turning every single argument I used around on me just because I stated judging something you don´t know makes no sense and is also misleading to the fan who started the question in the first place and might believe your statement for that reason. My problem is that my default thinking always is that people want to discuss and have at least some logic to their postings and not just rant on something for the rant´s sake or just because they need to unload their opinion at all cost on everyone.

And thanks for NOT answering my honest question what medium exactly you are referring to when you said the original airings are way better. No answer sometimes is better than an answer in this context as well. 

Lol!! :) You gave the impression at first that you had something to do with the Koch set...that’s the only thing I was referring to. Again, I don’t care. This whole thing is so ridiculous & silly...it’s rather comical to me that you gotten so upset over specifications on something, that you’ve insulted anyone who didn’t like or care for it like you do. No matter what excuse you try and come up with, nothing will ever top original airings!! :done: But, since those aren’t available for general purchase, perhaps the Koch set might be the next best option. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Tom said:

Sorry Lou but you are wrong! How can you assess something without ever having seen that set yourself! This is like doing a color review as a blind person. The picture comparisons posted above with Gina´s dress do not give representative credit of what it really looks like. I had the chance to see some glimpses before start and decided to spend the 180 bucks and I did not regret it.

I would ask you not to sell your "sure facts" here for something you have not inspected yourself. I have the Koch set and they never claimed to have additional new scenes. The picture is the best ever (see my post on it above), the artwork is superior and it has full subtitles in English (all the previous sets did not have anything of that).

P.S. yes the price is hefty but I was involved and I know what labor of love they put into manual corrections of episodes and restore bugs from the Universal master to create that picture quality. They spent more than 1 year on doing that, it shows but it has its price if you are familiar with hourly rates of any manual process, from a carpenter to a plumber. When you now accuse them of going for a fast buck that this is just an unqualified prejudice without any substance. I would rather complain about the price for the cheap and sloppy US and French releases.

And your comparison with your old tapes or other sets is ridiculous. That is like apples and oranges. When I first saw the Koch BluRAy I have realized that I have never really seen MV visually. Not at least as it was intended to look like by Michael Mann in 1984. All the old tapes I have, the US DVD releases were dull old colorless crap against this box. However they did it (from the same masters as all the other releases before) it works. Now you know what a rip-off the other releases were that used the same master and came up with something mediocre.

For the future I would ask you to get the merch in question first yourself before doing a "review" and giving advice on it on suspicion and scaring off others with it. But to do such a remote diagnosis is not fair and does not do good service for a fan who asked us all here for advice!

I added the Amazon HD version as comparison above to make the difference clear and why it pays off to analyze both versions to come to a QUALIFIED OPINION.

Wow, struck a nerve here or what?!   Lighten up!   I guess what I should've said is that I will NOT be spending another $180 on something I already own  just so I can compare releases and give a fair assessment.  I'm sure this set your talking about looks incredible and if someone wants to spend the bucks for it, more power to them.  I won't be one of them simply because I'm perfectly happy with the blu-ray set I have. 

and to be clear, it wasn't a "review" it was my opinion. and I was NOT comparing the quality of VHS tapes and DVDs.  I was simply using the tapes as an example of what scenes are missing from the original broadcasts.

I'm glad you guys are so passionate about this but give me a break!    You know they have decaf coffee now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

You know they have decaf coffee now.

Or start drinking the needed caffeine. :p Lol! 

• Haha 1

vor 41 Minuten schrieb ViceFanMan:

Lol!! :) You gave the impression at first that you had something to do with the Koch set...that’s the only thing I was referring to. Again, I don’t care. This whole thing is so ridiculous & silly...it’s rather comical to me that you gotten so upset over specifications on something, that you’ve insulted anyone who didn’t like or care for it like you do. 

Your false rap will not get more true when you repeat it. I did not give any wrong impression about my Koch involvement. You just did not read what I wrote about it properly but fantasized around instead like you did with many other things resulting in insulting me as a sort of paid agent for Koch. And I never discussed specs but simply the fact that you judged something without knowing it. But it´s a waste of time anyway to explain a guy with Alzheimer what he wrote.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Your false rap will not get more true when you repeat it. I did not give any wrong impression about my Koch involvement. You just did not read what I wrote about it properly but fantasized around instead like you did with many other things resulting in insulting me as a sort of paid agent for Koch. And I never discussed specs but simply the fact that you judged something without knowing it. But it´s a waste of time anyway to explain a guy with Alzheimer what he wrote.

Lol!!!! :) The rantings & ravings just get more comical! After all your explosions over this, the poor person is probably never going to touch the Koch set. :p It’s just a Blu-ray set...time to move on. 

• Haha 1

vor 18 Minuten schrieb Ferrariman:

Wow, struck a nerve here or what?!   Lighten up!   I guess what I should've said is that I will NOT be spending another $180 on something I already own  just so I can compare releases and give a fair assessment.  I'm sure this set your talking about looks incredible and if someone wants to spend the bucks for it, more power to them.  I won't be one of them simply because I'm perfectly happy with the blu-ray set I have. 

and to be clear, it wasn't a "review" it was my opinion. and I was NOT comparing the quality of VHS tapes and DVDs.  I was simply using the tapes as an example of what scenes are missing from the original broadcasts.

I'm glad you guys are so passionate about this but give me a break!    You know they have decaf coffee now.

Yes, that´s what could have said. But instead you said (QUOTE);

"This to me looks like the usual "let's release another version because we know people will buy it"   (....) So is it worth it? In a word, no.  Save your money"

And you do not even have the set to come to this conclusion. And I said that original fan question deserved a more founded answer than that. That was the whole point. 

If you still don´t get it, I am sorry. 

Gerade eben schrieb ViceFanMan:

Lol!!!! :) The rantings & ravings just get more comical! After all your explosions over this, the poor person is probably never going to touch the Koch set. :p It’s just a Blu-ray set...time to move on. 

Your self assessment is starting to get the right curve now....

• timm525 locked this topic
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Tom said:

Yes, that´s what could have said. But instead you said (QUOTE);

"This to me looks like the usual "let's release another version because we know people will buy it"   (....) So is it worth it? In a word, no.  Save your money"

And you do not even have the set to come to this conclusion. And I said that original fan question deserved a more founded answer than that. That was the whole point. 

If you still don´t get it, I am sorry. 

Yup, that's what I said!   My opinion, so shoot me!  I'm done!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators

Just for the record. I did not lock this topic.  I don't want anyone thinking I did so to get the last word.  What's truly "sad" is how this topic went off the rails.  We've always been a peaceful place where everyone is entitled to their opinion and I hope it stays that way.   

Up to the boss if he wants to lift the time out!

• Like 2

• timm525 unlocked this topic
  • Administrators

Hello Team,

Hopefully everyone had a chance to calm their nerves and let their blood pressure come back down to normal.

I, along with Ferrariman and James are not fans of censorship which includes the locking of threads and silencing our members. However I think we all recognize there comes a time to pull the plug on a thread that has gone off the rails completely and is no longer objective and on topic.

Let’s reopen this with the understanding we will all work to play nicer in the sandbox together going forward so that if there are any other viewpoints for the OP question it can me discussed with civility.  

I thank all of you for your great support to this wonderful forum we’ve all created for ourselves. Let’s keep it friendly and happy and on topic mostly to Miami Vice.

Kitty is watching! :)

9F35CEC6-AA8D-4A81-84E0-B8CC1F3F387B.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2