Which Carrera sunglasses, are more similar to the Carrera 5512 one's, Carrera Champion 65 or Carrera Champion ?

Emsy

I want to buy similar sunglasses Crockett wore, in The Pilot. I'm between choosing Carrera Champion 65 or Carrera Champion. Can you guys and gal's, give some advice on this ?

36 minutes ago, Emsy said:

I want to buy similar sunglasses Crockett wore, in The Pilot. I'm between choosing Carrera Champion 65 or Carrera Champion. Can you guys and gal's, give some advice on this ?

I have a the Champion 65 in black. They are more like my 5512s than the regular Champion. 

• Thanks 1

The Carrera 5512s are great! Indeed, as Dadrian stated above, the Champion 65s are more similar to the original frames.

If you are looking for 5512s, I currently have two for sale:

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I initially wanted to buy a pair of 5512'S but I don't know, if they would fit and look good on me. That is why I'm buying a newer model, because I can test them and see how they fit on me, if don't like them, I can just return them to the store I bought them at.   

18 hours ago, Dadrian said:

The 5512 frames are larger than the Champions

Oh. Then is should really get "Carrera Champion 65", because my lower face is pretty narrow. 

• Like 2

The exact measurements of Carrera 5512 frames are:

Hinge to hinge - 145 mm / 5.7 inches

Frame vertical - 59 mm / 2.3 inches

Temples ~ 125 mm / 4.9 inches

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Paul K. said:

The exact measurements of Carrera 5512 frames are:

Hinge to hinge - 145 mm / 5.7 inches

Frame vertical - 59 mm / 2.3 inches

Temples ~ 125 mm / 4.9 inches

Thanks for the info. :)

• Like 1

The 5512s go great with big foreheads :) 

Here I am at a recurring MV location in 2016. :D

166DE270-3778-4012-8DBE-5E6F1F803B44.jpeg

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

And to put into perspective how large the 5512 frames are, here’s my same face in the Persols from season 3: 

C09845F5-58E3-44B7-9638-A40C3E50EBB5.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Emsy

If you're on Instagram you can look on my page where I review many models of carrera sunglasses

Vintage_carrera_review 

I can help you make the right purchase and I have over 30 pairs of 5512 new unsold stock for sale aswell as many others

Polish_20210303_213207744.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dadrian said:

The 5512s go great with big foreheads :) 

Here I am at a recurring MV location in 2016. :D

166DE270-3778-4012-8DBE-5E6F1F803B44.jpeg

Good to know. I to, have a big forehead and narrow face downward. They look really good on. :cool: 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Miller Hailiffe said:

Hi Emsy

If you're on Instagram you can look on my page where I review many models of carrera sunglasses

Vintage_carrera_review 

I can help you make the right purchase and I have over 30 pairs of 5512 new unsold stock for sale aswell as many others

Polish_20210303_213207744.jpg

May I ask how the colored emblem in the center and Carrera logo on the lens came to be in this photo? Photoshopped? The former was blacked out (with a Sharpie perhaps?), and the latter simply not there on the flat replacement lenses from the pilot. 

It looks super cool though! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

May I ask how the colored emblem in the center and Carrera logo on the lens came to be in this photo? Photoshopped? The former was blacked out (with a Sharpie perhaps?), and the latter simply not there on the flat replacement lenses from the pilot. 

It looks super cool though! :thumbsup:

I edited it lol the removal of the badge was bugging me 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Miller Hailiffe said:

I edited it lol the removal of the badge was bugging me 

Haha

The badge seems to be vaguely visible in the closeups from the pilot, but like there’s a thin dark film over it, thus my Sharpie theory. :) 

F24C906B-CD67-4F58-80B9-6CA9FA687207.jpeg

• Like 1

Pilot episodes are funded independently and rarely feature product placement unless they really find it necessary, in this case the glasses were probably bought by the wardrobe organiser last minute, a lot of people remove the badge to avoid royalties

-Midnight Run 1987

-Against all Odds 1984

My guess is Don complained about them because he fidgets a lot with them and they really never stay on too long during scenes, the badge reappears when Tubbs wears them in televised episodes later on 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Miller Hailiffe said:

the badge reappears when Tubbs wears them in televised episodes later on 

I noticed that too. Maybe they even had more than one pair. 

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I noticed that too. Maybe they even had more than one pair. 

Deff had more than one pair both pairs(let's just say there were 2) were 5512 with the 10 colour code only one frame was a translucent option  where the other was opaque, you can see this change in many scenes of brothers keeper but both were produced pre 1984 as the Carrera logo on the lenses are missing and weren't added till 1985

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Emsy said:

Why did Crockett stopped  wearing, the 5512's ? I really liked his "The Pilot" look with them.

Idk, but it’s hard to imagine his iconic image without the Wayfarers. As much as I love the Carreras, the Wayfarers are Sonny Crockett. I wish they looked that good on me. I wish anything looked that good on me! :) 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Idk, but it’s hard to imagine his iconic image without the Wayfarers. As much as I love the Carreras, the Wayfarers are Sonny Crockett. I wish they looked that good on me. I wish anything looked that good on me! :) 

I fully agree with you, but still I would liked, if he would of worn the 5512's more.  I don't know why, but the 5512's give's me a unique sunglasses vibe.  I haven't seen you with Wayfarers, but the 5512's look really good on you. :cool:

25 minutes ago, Emsy said:

I fully agree with you, but still I would liked, if he would of worn the 5512's more.  I don't know why, but the 5512's give's me a unique sunglasses vibe.  I haven't seen you with Wayfarers, but the 5512's look really good on you. :cool:

Thanks very much! I don’t own a pair of Wayfarers (because I don’t like the way the look on me) but I have some Wayfarer-shades that I do like. I got them at a Gap outlet for $3 years ago. :) 

C94F53ED-4F2C-4B32-9865-D4988A1B8401.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Thanks very much! I don’t own a pair of Wayfarers (because I don’t like the way the look on me) but I have some Wayfarer-shades that I do like. I got them at a Gap outlet for $3 years ago. :) 

C94F53ED-4F2C-4B32-9865-D4988A1B8401.jpeg

I don't understand, why do you think they look bad on you. They look really great, because you have similar face shape to Crockett. Plus, that non shaven stubble, really gives the Sonny Crockett vibe.

I like those in the photo, but I don’t like the genuine Wayfarers on me. My nose isn’t wide at the top, but it’s too wide for them to seat properly, so they just look weird. 

...and the stubble is just laziness :) 

Edited by Dadrian

4 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I like those in the photo, but I don’t like the genuine Wayfarers on me. My nose isn’t wide at the top, but it’s too wide for them to seat properly, so they just look weird. 

...and the stubble is just laziness :) 

Oh, now I see. Have tried both 54mm and 50mm one's ? 

Looks great tho.