Have you Ever Met Anybody Famous...

maynard

or somewhat famous?When I was driving for a large lumber company in Fort Lauderdale in the mid 80's, my first stop in the morning was in the new Westin area. The name on the ticket was Dan Marino, so I knocked on the door for a signature. Sure enough, he came to the door.Somewhat modest house for what he was making at the time. This was about the time rumors were floating that he might leave the Dolphins. As this lumber was for a weight room, I knew they weren't true.

On the street/by chance? No, I can't say that I have. I've been to horror/sci-fi conventions and met some relatively famous names, though. Tom Savini was the biggest, though I also met the dude who played The Creature From The Black Lagoon, one of the original Lost In Space stars that was also in the movie remake (his name's escaping me), and I was this close to Richard Kiel, but didn't actually meet him (and I sort of regret not shaking his hand).

Having landed late at Dublin airport I was in a hurry and running through the arrivals corridor I bumped into 2 HUGE men in black, I passed them by and I noticed a VERY short man between them. He was U2's Bono! :happy:I was in shock! I also noticed that he was carrying his own suitcases :eek: but because of the bodyguards I couldn't get close to him. :cry:I instead met Liam Neeson when I was working as an extra on a movie set. He spent some time with us extras, chatting and actually joking about the weird sunny/rainy weather that was delaying the filming.He was such a nice friendly guy! :thumbsup:

1966 -Riverboat Rest. N.Y. My wife & I danced next to Buddy Rich & his daughter....I got his autograph.I also talked to Count Basie, & his guitarist, Freddy Green, same year & place & got their autographs.I talked to Guitarist - Kenny Burrell after a jazz concert at Radio City Music hall. Charlie Byrd signed a matchbook for me in a California club during his break.Talked to Sam Butera ( Louis Prima's sax man) 2 nights in a row at the Frontier, Las Vegas, & he signed his record albums for me. Met him 20 yrs. later in 2002 at Ruth Eckert Hall, Fl. & spoke to him.

A few soap opera stars (from the Young & Restless and Days of Our Lives) during various public mall/charitable appearances.During a convention from work in 1995 I also had the pleasure of meeting Julian McMahon (before his Nip/Tuck fame). Nice guy (great sense of humour) and my fellow female co-workers were going nuts for this guy! I could swear I saw him blushing at the remarks they people were making. I've also met a few athletes. Ex-hockey players from the Toronto Maple Leafs (Daryl Sittler & Doug Gilmour) and also baseball players Roberto Alomar & Carlos Delgado (way back when they used to play for the Toronto Blue Jays).

After a flight back from Heathrow to the US in the 80's, I dropped a box of chocolate on the floor of the airport shuttle bus and a huge man with a a fedora picked them up and looked me in the eye--it was Marlon Brando. I said thank you and something about the smell of napalm in the morning.....;)

i once stood in line at a cafeteria with Mr. T for about 30 mins. he was very kind and soft-spoken. i was about 13 and he was very nice to answer all my A-Team/Rocky III inquiries.i've met some famous musicians, too. guitarists John Abercrombe and Eric Johnson are the first two that come to mind. abercrombie recorded with jan hammer in the 70s. he had nice things to say about jan. johnson was also very nice.US country singer tracy lawrence lives here in texarkana, tx and i've met him many times.

I live on Martha's Vineyard and have met or seen the following celebrities:Goldie HawnKurt RusselKate Hudson (before she was famous)Dan AkroydMike WallaceCarly SimonBill ClintonPrincess DiI watched Bill O'Reily do his radio show in person in 2004. After the show, I got to shake his hand and get a book autographed.And several others I can't remember.There's been rumors that Obama is going to vacation here for two weeks in August and that Chelsea Clinton is going to get married here this summer. Spokespeople for both have denied those rumors, but I keep hearing them almost every day...

• Administrators

I've posted this in the past but saw Jan Hammer play at the Lonestar in new York City around 1980/81. A very tiny bar. I sat on a barstool and was literally about 6 feet away from Jan as he played. Stayed for both sets and closed the place around 2 A.M. Talked to Jan briefly and got his autograph. Unfortunately this was before his "Vice" days. Somewhere in between his collaborations with Jeff Beck and Neal Schon.Also had the good fortune to meet pro Wrestler Tito Santana. At the time I was installing wall to wall carpet for a living and we carpeted his entire house. He and his wife were incredibly nice people to work for! Arriba!!Also met "Grandpa Munster" Al Lewis at the Fairfield Garden Center in New Jersey back in the 90's. He was there for Halloween dressed in full Munster costume and I had my picture taken with him.

Most of you, aside from Viceman Cometh, won't know who I'm talking about, but I've met movie hosts The Ghoul, Son of Ghoul, and Big Chuck & Lil John. With The Ghoul I might as well have been a groupie, since I showed up at so many appearances bringing various items that they started to recognize me.

I watched Bill O'Reily do his radio show in person in 2004. After the show' date=' I got to shake his hand and get a book autographed.[/quote']:thumbsup: O'Reilly's program is the only program I watch on TV anymore.

The only close to famous people I've met or seen were Steve Spurrier in Gainesville, I ran into a Gambino family member in Ocala, and spotted Donnie Brasco coming home from the Flea Market once.Spurrier was leaving a heart doctors office, actually said hi, real nice guy.The Gambino family guy, I can't remember his name, I remember seeing him on TV, believed to be capo, I saw him in a chinese resteraunt, I was wearing a Sopranos T-Shirt and he looked up to me after reading it and said "Bada Bing!" and started laughing, he gave me a few glances after that, thinking I might have recognized him, didn't say another word.I have also seen Donnie Brasco on TV, he used to be brought in on mob cases on Court TV, I saw him at a redlight, had those same sunglasses and everything he wore on TV, at first I had doubts until I saw him again on TV and realized it was him, I know he has family here in Florida and left the Witness Protection Program.Beyond that, nope, not much.

I met John Travolta in Niagara Falls when he was shooting a movie here called "The Experts". I used to hang out at a place called "Katz" and they modified the restaurant to look like an old 1950's joint and shot a few scenes there. He also filmed a bit in Niagara on the Lake.I saw Christopher Walken when he made the movie "The Deadzone" here in NOTL, but I never actually met him. I did some extra security work when they were filming back in the early eighties I beleive...(long time ago...)I did some welding on an old bus for Rush many years ago when they toured around doing small gigs. I actually saw them at a highschool dance in Guelph Ontario when John Rutsey was still the drummer. (Neil Peart is king!)By the way...on a sidenote, if there are any other Rush fans out there, the song "Lakeside Park" was written about Port Dalhousie where Neil grew up. That is my hangout too for "My Vice"That's just about it for my brush with schmarminess.................

Met and talked for quite a bit with Olivia Brown. Went to her father's home. Got her autograph.Met NFL greats Oakland Raider football players John matusak and Jim Otto, and got autographs.Met, and talked quite a bit with The coach of the San Antonio Spurs, Greg Popvitch. VERY nice man!Met and talked extensively with Debbie Reynolds, got autograph.Sat 30 feet from the composer John Williams. He waved at me when I called out to him.Met Shanon dougherty and her brother while shopping (She actually bossed her brother around! Also, the stupid grocery checker asked to see her I.D. when she wrote a check! I think I heard one of the grocery managers afterward say something like, Hey, it's Shanon Dougherty, you don't need to ask for her I.D. and the checker said something about store policy etc...).Saw Ronald Regan give a speech.Saw Walter Mondale give a speech.Met, and talked with Legendary Hall of fame College basketball coach Pete Carril several times. He coached at Princeton University, and won more games than any other Ivy League coach. Saw Phil Collins in concert twiceSaw Van Halen & Sammy Hagar in Concert (concert too damned loud!)Saw magician Doug Henning doing his magic act.Saw impressionist Rich Little doing his stage act.Met Ricky Arnez. (Lucy's son)Various smaller name NFL and NBA basketball players and general managers.A couple of California Governers and their wives.I KNOW I'm missing many people that I am not thinking of. Won't bother mentioning local celebrities.

Met Kevin Cronin and other REO Speedwagon members in Champaign IL. I talked to Nancy Culp and Glynnis O'Connor in Hollywood while visiting relatives in LA. Did VIP security for Conrad Dobler and Ozzie Smith in St Louis, MO. Went to college with Tom Henke at ECC in Union, MO. Meet Gordon Lightfoot and Dan Fogelberg at acoustical concerts, Fabulous Fox Theatre in St Louis. Met John Popper and Colin Powell at the Univ of MO (different occasions).

I have had only one personal interaction with a person of notoriety. Jim Lovell, the Apollo 13 astronaut that Tom Hanks played in the movie. It was strange shaking hands with a man who honestly had an experience only two other people, in the entire history of the world, have had: getting lost in space. Also, I once found myself at a community meeting also attended by Al "Blowhard" Sharpton. Lucky me.

• Administrators
I have had only one personal interaction with a person of notoriety. Jim Lovell' date=' the Apollo 13 astronaut.[/quote']Very cool!
Also' date=' I once found myself at a community meeting also attended by Al "Blowhard" Sharpton. [/quote']Major uncool! ;)

A few years ago, the company that I work for was helping with a charitable event that Chuck Norris was sponsoring, and I was introduced to him at a celebration that was held for everyone who was involved in putting on the event.I also saw Jenna Bush while having lunch with a friend once.Saw Sergei Zubov of the Dallas Stars at a Best Buy once.

This is really neat. I had no idea its such a small world. Did meet Senator Dick Luger back when he was mayor of Indy,had dark hair then...One on one with Olivia Brown would be cool..always liked Grandpa Munster and Chuck Norris.

A few years ago' date=' the company that I work for was helping with a charitable event that Chuck Norris was sponsoring, and I was introduced to him at a celebration that was held for everyone who was involved in putting on the event.[/quote']Wow!!!!! You met Chuck!?! :glossy::glossy::glossy:;)

Wow!!!!! You met Chuck!?! :glossy::glossy::glossy:;)

They have been showing"Lone Wolf McQuade" on a digital movie channel lately.Chuck could really do the high kicks then, and is still amazing to watch.