Tim Truman Music Rip Attempts

Sheisenburg

Basically, I was bored and decided, why not rip a track off from Miami Vice so thats basically what I did. This is sort of a hobby of mine now, and where I'll from time to time post my attempts of extracting the unreleased music from Season 5 of MV that I think may not be around online yet. All of this is done with free software from the internet so bare with me here. 

Here is the my very first attempt of audio ripping, the track that plays in club Paris Modern during the episode "Borrasca". Also the part where the video greys out during 0:27, I have no idea how that happened so if anyone knows, please tell me.

Edited by Sheisenburg
  • Like 5

The fifth rip, of much better quality I might add, decided to get Adobe Audition and turns out it works like a charm. On that note I might remaster some of the tracks I did before considering they aren't up to par with this one. Anyways, this is yet again from the same episode titled "Jack of All Trades".

Edited by Sheisenburg
  • Like 4

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Sheisenburg:

The fifth rip, of much better quality I might add, decided to get Adobe Audition and turns out it works like a charm. On that note I might remaster some of the tracks I did before considering they aren't up to par with this one. Anyways, this is yet again from the same episode titled "Jack of All Trades".

Great quality and good selection of scores so far! There is a lot of dialogue under this calm score in this scene, despite of that there is hardly any dialogue to be heard in your resulting cue. 

• Like 2

Nice work @Sheisenburg!

You may already know, but @Crockettt and @buford_t have YouTube channels where they post their rips (“Crockettt1984” and “Marty Castillo’s Miami Vice Music” on YouTube, respectively). 

I always wonder why the season 5 credits didn’t say “Music by Tim Truman and Michael Thompson”, as the latter’s guitar parts were an integral part of most of the cues. 

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

I always wonder why the season 5 credits didn’t say “Music by Tim Truman and Michael Thompson”, as the latter’s guitar parts were an integral part of most of the cues. 

Good question, but I assume that´s because Thompson was subcontracted guitar player (Truman hired him for these MV gigs). That is the same with John Petersen who also hired additional musicians to contribute to his score (e.g. Ira Siegel or Stan Harrisson for the saxophone parts in Honor among Thieves) that were never mentioned by name in the credits either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Nice work @Sheisenburg!

You may already know, but @Crockettt and @buford_t have YouTube channels where they post their rips (“Crockettt1984” and “Marty Castillo’s Miami Vice Music” on YouTube, respectively). 

Why thank you @Dadrian!

I already know of their efforts and might I add, of much better quality and effort than mine, considering the two have been far more experienced in this field than I, because I just started a day ago lol. My whole plan is to essentially to add on top of what they built upon and hopefully provide some quality tracks for us fans to hear. 

And also, I never knew that the guitar parts weren't Tim Truman's doing, cause Season 5 may not have been the classic Vice that everyone knew and love, but those dang guitar parts in some of Truman's work were certainly awesome to hear since I myself am I fan of the guitar and actively practicing it as well. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

That is the same with John Petersen who also hired additional musicians to contribute to his score (e.g. Ira Siegel or Stan Harrisson

But those were kind of one shot deals, right? I realize about the subcontracting part, but still—you’d think his name should be shown for such a large contribution in basically every season 5 episode. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

But those were kind of one shot deals, right? I realize about the subcontracting part, but still—you’d think his name should be shown for such a large contribution in basically every season 5 episode. 

I know what you mean Dadrian and you have a point. I am just saying you should not be surprised as this is usual procedure with most series and films, where eg. they state "Music score by ...." (Howard Shore, Hans Zimmer ..you name them.... in the beginning and you hear a big orchestra plying the score and the names of all the executing musicians in the orchestra are not mentioned in the opening credits, let alone the closing credits. So why wonder here?

Part of it might come down to who got composition/songwriting credits for a particular cue or piece. Licensing/royalties, etc. as opposed to a straight "play for a fixed fee" arrangement. If Thompson was a co-composer of record, it is odd he wouldn't be credited for this. If he was a contracted performer, then it's not odd at all. But there is a very distinct difference between being a performer and being a composer (if that role is noted in any published music for the episode).

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Robbie C.:

Part of it might come down to who got composition/songwriting credits for a particular cue or piece. Licensing/royalties, etc. as opposed to a straight "play for a fixed fee" arrangement. If Thompson was a co-composer of record, it is odd he wouldn't be credited for this. If he was a contracted performer, then it's not odd at all. But there is a very distinct difference between being a performer and being a composer (if that role is noted in any published music for the episode).

Right. Music by Tm Truman means he composed. Like in the case of movies (e.g. Music by Hans Zimmer means he composed, even if he used a big orchestra). Musicians hired for playing the instruments are apparently never mentioned. In MV case the composer argument is a bit blurry, as Michael Thompson was hired by Truman to come to the studio and just play, but improvised most of his guitar work based on Truman´s existing base score for the scenes, no way Truman could have written notes for Thompson´s guitar work beforehand. 

Edited by Tom

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

Right. Music by Tm Truman means he composed. Like in the case of movies (e.g. Music by Hans Zimmer means he composed, even if he used a big orchestra). Musicians hired for playing the instruments are apparently never mentioned. In MV case the composer argument is a bit blurry, as Michael Thompson was hired by Truman to come to the studio and just play, but improvised most of his guitar work based on Truman´s existing base score for the scenes, no way Truman could have written notes for Thompson´s guitar work beforehand. 

It mostly depends on how it was recorded after the fact, although if Thompson was hired strictly to perform there would be something in his contract noting that he was not going to get (or expect) any scoring or writing credits. It doesn't always work that way in practice (witness Ozzy Osbourne's legal issues with the early incarnations of his solo band...Ozzy and his wife aren't exactly models for good behavior here), but if the compositions were ever registered in any way for royalties (mechanical or otherwise) the composers/authors would be noted there. If Thompson appeared in that stuff, it would be odd that he's not mentioned in the credits. If not...then it's no surprise he's not listed. It doesn't mean he didn't actually compose or make major contributions, but rather that his role as anything other than session or studio musician wasn't legally noted anywhere.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Robbie C.:

It mostly depends on how it was recorded after the fact, although if Thompson was hired strictly to perform there would be something in his contract noting that he was not going to get (or expect) any scoring or writing credits. It doesn't always work that way in practice (witness Ozzy Osbourne's legal issues with the early incarnations of his solo band...Ozzy and his wife aren't exactly models for good behavior here), but if the compositions were ever registered in any way for royalties (mechanical or otherwise) the composers/authors would be noted there. If Thompson appeared in that stuff, it would be odd that he's not mentioned in the credits. If not...then it's no surprise he's not listed. It doesn't mean he didn't actually compose or make major contributions, but rather that his role as anything other than session or studio musician wasn't legally noted anywhere.

Same fate as Laurence Fowler in World of Trouble (he complained that he invented HAVOC but only got a few thousand bucks as bonus and the company he worked for made millions with his invention) and any other employee. 

• Like 1

Anyways I remade my very first rip attempt, with better audio quality and consistency, also I changed the title and that's about it. 

Along with that, a new track, titled "Yo Ramos" from "Borrasca".

Edited by Sheisenburg
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Dadrian said:

I guess because it’s just two people, and it’s on every episode. 

I think it's a good question, honestly. Especially in light of the Ozzy antics I mentioned earlier. Like most of these things, I suspect it came down to who read the fine print better.:p

4 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I think it's a good question, honestly. Especially in light of the Ozzy antics I mentioned earlier. Like most of these things, I suspect it came down to who read the fine print better.:p

I realize and agree with all @Tom’s statements, especially on the “composed by” part. I know that part of the “why not”. 

It just seems that for such an equal part in the final product they could have found some way to mention Michael’s name. 

Not a big deal, and I didn’t realize it would turn into a discussion. :) 

Some great points by all though! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian

Either way, the guitar parts were to me at least, some of the best tracks I've ever heard in my entire life. They just ooze a lot of style and "radness", they're what defined Season 5 MV, for better or for worse. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheisenburg said:

Either way, the guitar parts were to me at least, some of the best tracks I've ever heard in my entire life. They just ooze a lot of style and "radness", they're what defined Season 5 MV, for better or for worse. 

If you’re not familiar with his work, check out Michael Thompson’s credits sometime. Some really heavy hitters on there—so many that he probably doesn’t even care about MV! :) 

He is an awesome musician, and I too LOVE his work on season 5!

• Like 2

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

If you’re not familiar with his work, check out Michael Thompson’s credits sometime. Some really heavy hitters on there—so many that he probably doesn’t even care about MV! :) 

He is an awesome musician, and I too LOVE his work on season 5!

Fully agree. He is a great musician with a unique talent to create very melodic stuff on the spot that has incredible timing, no matter if it is loud or soft, for 20 seconds or 2 minutes. Truman once told me that he just yelled "now full throttle" or something similar at a certain time and then Thompson started improvising a heavy riff for the length of the heavy part in question and coming to a natural melodic end at the right time, not just a fade. With a garden variety guitar player that would have ended in something completely different, i.e. awful artificial pitch bending with a construed ending. I would not be surprised if Thompson´s stuff we hear on TV was his first and only take. 

I listen to Thompson´s stuff regularly and still get the chills with his work on MV.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Hello folks, I come here today to present to you the complete track playlist of "Jack of All Trades". Sort of proud of myself for completing the entire episode, but its not like it wasn't that hard to do and I still have a lot to learn when it comes to ripping, so here you go.

Edited by Sheisenburg
  • Like 3