Question about watches

Vicefan7777

I do not have 5 grand to spend on a Rolex watch.  But I know there are numerous makers of replica Rolexes.  My question is does anyone in the Vice family have experience with purchasing a replica and had a good experience?  Can anyone recommend a manufacturer to buy from?  Thanks.

36 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I do not have 5 grand to spend on a Rolex watch.  But I know there are numerous makers of replica Rolexes.  My question is does anyone in the Vice family have experience with purchasing a replica and had a good experience?  Can anyone recommend a manufacturer to buy from?  Thanks.

If you mean you’d like to buy a watch that looks very much like a Rolex, here’s a video comparing a Submariner to an Invicta Pro Diver that is a great match.  I’ve had the mechanical Invicta for several years now and have been very pleased with it.  A handful of people have asked me if it is a Rolex and I laugh and tell them I’m a teacher, so no.  It is a very handsome watch though.  

These homage watches by different manufacturers can be strikingly similar to various Rolex models, but they don’t illegally mislabel them as Rolex.  Mine clearly says Invicta on the face and is etched in the side of the case and on the bracelet latch.

If you mean that you would like a watch that says Rolex on it, and I’m not making any judgement, then the sellers of such watches are not getting them from familiar  manufacturers ands it’s more of a crapshoot as to quality.  Anecdotally, a buddy of mine bought a “Faux-lex” on vacation in Thailand that cost a little MORE than my Invicta.   It didn’t last and the repair estimate wasn’t worth it he said.  I’m sure others have had better experiences.

If you’re looking for something like Crockett’s Rolex Datejust, here’s a good link:

https://cladright.com/watches-that-look-like-rolex-datejust/

A couple of the two-tone versions are remarkably similar.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

The market on Rolex has gone through the roof due to supply and demand. I once, 20 years ago, bought a Rolex Submariner and paid 5K for it. I bought it on a Friday and wore it over the weekend. I got bad buyer’s remorse as that was a lot of money for me back then and so on Monday I returned it. I kick myself for having done that. Today that watch used goes for around 10k.

Sorry I can’t help with the replica watch. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

In addition to being a long time fan of Miami Vice (I lived in Ft. Lauderdale in the 80's) I am also a fan of horology and a collector for the last 20 years. I have since narrowed my collection down to 4 timepieces on rotation and I find that my Apple watch is now my daily driver since I retired. Because of that, I may end up selling all 4 watches for just one that I mostly desire....the Rolex Day/Date which Sonny Crockett had for some of the series. He wore the all Gold version and although its popular again, I prefer the white gold version with a platinum dial. Simply stunning in person if you're lucky enough to see one. (Picture below)

Getting back to Miami Vice, I have the box collection I purchased around 10-15 years ago and can go several months before I have to watch several episodes. What's most impressive about this forum is the details people remember from each episode. I look forward to continue reading and sharing thoughts about Miami Vice and if you have any questions about living in S. Florida during those days, don't hesitate to ask. For example, if you're a fan of the movie Scarface, the opening scene from the movie that shows the aerial shot of the tents housing Cuban refugees after the Muriel boat lift, I saw that in person and that footage was real and not a Hollywood set. 

Rolex DayDate Platinum.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2022 at 7:04 PM, Vicefan7777 said:

Don’t get a “replica” they are mostly cheap, illegal (to make not to own but you are supporting it) and tacky.

I’d say you have 2 options, a homage like these or a Steinhart or Ginault https://iknowwatches.com/affordable-rolex-day-date-homage/

Or my choice (IMO the more mature choice) get another company’s similar gold watch, day date if you want, wether it’s Timex, Seiko, Bulova, Hamilton, Tissot, Tag, Omega… and just rock it and enjoy it

or even classier go fine an Ebel 

Edited by FreezePal
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, FreezePal said:

Don’t get a “replica” they are mostly cheap, illegal (to make not to own but you are supporting it) and tacky.

I’d say you have 2 options, a homage like these or a Steinhart or Ginault https://iknowwatches.com/affordable-rolex-day-date-homage/

Or my choice (IMO the more mature choice) get another company’s similar gold watch, day date if you want, wether it’s Timex, Seiko, Bulova, Hamilton, Tissot, Tag, Omega… and just rock it and enjoy it

or even classier go fine an Ebel 

Peugeot looks the best to me. More like Sonny's watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Instead of a replica Rolex why not check out Ebay etc for a Modded Seiko. This way you will get an affordable watch that is great value for money and the style you want.

• Like 2

So after spending months looking at watches I finally got something I like.  It is from Harlem Bling.  It has no battery and runs on the electrical impulses coming from my body.  When I took it to my jeweler to get the band adjusted she was impressed with the quality.  In fact the tools she was using broke trying to remove several links.  I have already had numerous compliments.  This is a keeper for me.  

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

So after spending months looking at watches I finally got something I like.  It is from Harlem Bling.  It has no battery and runs on the electrical impulses coming from my body.  When I took it to my jeweler to get the band adjusted she was impressed with the quality.  In fact the tools she was using broke trying to remove several links.  I have already had numerous compliments.  This is a keeper for me.  

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

I’ve never heard of such a power mechanism.  Are you sure it’s not an automatic movement?  I have a couple, and they don’t require a battery or even winding as long as you wear them constantly.  The power comes from the movement of your arm/wrist in your everyday activities, not electrical impulses from your body.    It’s a mechanical movement.

The winding springs on my automatic watches last about two days if they aren’t worn and then they need to be wound and reset otherwise.  One keeps great time, though not as well as a quartz movement.  None really can, even a Rolex mechanical.  The other, which I don’t really wear much anymore needs to be reset almost weekly even if worn daily, as it would be off by near a minute in that timeframe.  

Regardless, I’m glad you are happy with your choice.  :thumbsup:  That’s ultimately what it’s all about.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pahonu said:

I’ve never heard of such a power mechanism.  Are you sure it’s not an automatic movement?  I have a couple, and they don’t require a battery or even winding as long as you wear them constantly.  The power comes from the movement of your arm/wrist in your everyday activities, not electrical impulses from your body.    It’s a mechanical movement.

The winding springs on my automatic watches last about two days if they aren’t worn and then they need to be wound and reset otherwise.  One keeps great time, though not as well as a quartz movement.  None really can, even a Rolex mechanical.  The other, which I don’t really wear much anymore needs to be reset almost weekly even if worn daily, as it would be off by near a minute in that timeframe.  

Regardless, I’m glad you are happy with your choice.  :thumbsup:  That’s ultimately what it’s all about.

My bad!!  You are correct,  I was really tired when I posted this.  It does run on automatic movement. 

2 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

My bad!!  You are correct,  I was really tired when I posted this.  It does run on automatic movement. 

No worries.  It’s a nice looking watch regardless. 

Here are some of my Watches

My Favourite watch is my Omega Seamaster Professional Automatic 2531.80 Brosnan model.

I have a Fantastic value for money Seiko Quartz from 1973, purchased from ebay, these things cost 2 or 3 times the price of the top automatic watches back then and as much as a small car  in the early 70s.

Although they are Quartz it is a moving Quartz movement over engineered by Seiko back then and it can be repaired easily by a good jeweller (not to be compared to the cheap quartz movements mostly used today) if it goes wrong as there are plenty spare parts about. It is acurate to about 15 seconds a month. fantastic quality and engineering.

If I am feeling sporty or the F1 is on then I wear my Omologato James Hunt watch nice quality case and dial but again Quartz and the movement is a modern cheap one that only costs 60 quid to replace should it break down.

My daily beater is a Casio watch that works from sunlight and resets itself via satellite every morning at 2am, I bought it on a flight to Canada 12 years ago, I use this at the Gym to time the seconds or minutes between sets.

I have a Russian Vostock that I put a Pepsi Bezel on and it looks a bit like the Rolex GMT Master from a distance, as Sported by Tom Selleck as Magnum PI. I wear that on my Hawaiian shirt days, lol

omega-seamaster-professional-james-bond-300m-25318000-87168_b.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

james-hunt-chronograph-silber.jpg

• Like 3

My best advice would be before you do anything, figure out your wrist width, as I opted to use my pops long since retired Omega seamaster Deville 1964 for for highschool,

and I had the option to go get a proper watch at the end of such period when a damn submariner was actually reasonable in price and NOT a second morgage but chose not to as I liked the classic look which with that was a mistake, as the thing kept breaking

and the thing about it is its 33/34 mm in size and not suited for my wrist, like I was always having to go for aftermarket straps and having a hell of a time find them for it, till the thing just well, it likes to go out of time and get magnitized, and its value just isnt worth it, its like a 800 to 1100 K watch and I probably spent that in trying to get it right without sending it off to some hoyte toyte place for a full bloody rebuild!

also FYI if you go that route, get one of the latter ones or one that hasnt had such a rough life between being surrounded by electronic equipment and everything else that happened to it lol

and I opted just for the hell of it to buy a Casio 106, a 50/60 dollar Quartz Diver and then found without any modification the damn thing fit perfectly, and comfortably, same with the time expedition, which is like a knock off of the tudor fastback rider, the bronze and gold one I like, all 44/45mm size watches

ment for 7 to 7 1/2 inch wrists

so check that and maybe buy a variety of cheap quartz watches in different sizes for a few hundred to find out what the size is that fits you

also place I always use on Ebay is a buyer by the name of watch surplus who always has Seiko on the cheap, and not quartz neither, I would use them to find different colors and dials to try and find a replacement for that but

I just hate Seiko as much as I hate toyota, as their always making knock off's of better peoples products, and everytime I look at them I feel like I'm supporting a rip off artist, like theirs very few seiko's where I can go their just cool,

granted with rolex and going for a knock off fair enough as their like BMW and Mercedes taking everyone for a ride with those prices, expensive for the sake of expensive, and they dont treat their previous models with respect if you put them in for service

as I long thought about getting it, the omega replaced by a rolex date, given the omega got water in it

but hence why well my most worn watch is a Casio forester with a velcro strap, as its like, quick and easy to put on, and light, although mind you its not sealed for mosture I found as I found fog in it after going for a long walk at a local park recently

either that or the gas or air in there has mosture in it normally, needless to say, if it doesnt have a screw down crown, its not waterproof, I can tell you that from experence so keep that in mind if you plan on going swimming with it

granted their are exceptions to this rule

as Citizen makes good stuff, granded their name sounds like something a russian brand of civlian watches would be named during the cold war, with about as much Pazaz as Car and Loaf O Bread

also another option to look at is this kind of semi watch snob out of NYC, or well was TGV, he likes the higher end stuff but like's the seiko and the lower end stuff

also if you want something unique on the lower end, look at pocket watches, you can find them for cheap, and find some really timeless old pieces that people have just thrown away.

and they last, unlike the omega did, hell one had its hands fall off after they rusted but the watch still works fine

far better than the omega.............. and somehow I did find the replacement hands for that watch but I need to actually physically go to the guy to have them fitted, cant have them sent in and fitted, and returned like with the omega sadly

ironically of which when the omega came back from him, in which it did work for a few after, the guy who delivered it was wearing the submariner I should have gone for

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

I too have the Omega Seamaster from the Brosnal era. It trades off with daily duty with an Apple Watch. I’ve had my Omega for 15 years or so. Love that watch.

133EF979-17E9-4EBB-AD74-1AFB50BE7C79.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timm525 said:

I too have the Omega Seamaster from the Brosnal era. It trades off with daily duty with an Apple Watch. I’ve had my Omega for 15 years or so. Love that watch.

133EF979-17E9-4EBB-AD74-1AFB50BE7C79.jpeg

Hi Tim, yes it is a great Watch, I got mine around then too in 2009 and I rotate it on my wrist, I like this watch better than the Rolex Submariner, in fact I traded my old Sub in for the Omega and cash back then as I liked it so much.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

S3EP08 Izzy wearing a cool caclulator watch.

Can anyone identify this? 

It is most likely a japanese brand like Casio or Seiko. But I am not so familiar their 80s line-up.

Izzy_watch_s3_EP8.png

Izzy_watch_s3_EP_8.png

Edited by Kalci

• Administrators

I wonder if that wasn’t the same calculator watch Sonny was wearing at the pool when Candy hit on him and they just reused the prop for Izzy?

• Like 1