My Miami travel 2022

Tom

I may be able to do a quick weekend trip if that’s an option. Thanks for thinking of me, and keep me posted. 

• Like 1

Thanks for thinking of me Tom.  I'm overdue for my annual trip.  Will make it Aug if possible.  I know you keep up with

mijami but seeing it in person these days is kind of a shock.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Thanks for thinking of me Tom.  I'm overdue for my annual trip.  Will make it Aug if possible.  I know you keep up with

I mirror (image) your sentiments. I think I *might've* been to Miami only once since moving away last year (I blame gas prices, lol). So I'm overdue for a visit as well. Keep us updated on what days you'll be here, Tom. I'd love to meet up with you fine folks as well. We can compare notes (and attire, lol).

• Like 3

I'm around in August and would love to meet up on a weekend. Just let know of your dates when you narrow down your availability. 

Feel free to text/WhatsApp/Telegram.

Edited by Paul Veres
Removed my phone number since this is public domain.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Why is it kind of a shock @miamijimf?? :)

Great to see that most of you locals most likely will be around. Looks like I will be 2 weeks in Miami in August. I´ll drop a note when I know exact dates. Could be a fun date if we manage to meet all together! :dance2:

• Like 2

The place is now the "Manhattan of the South," huge with more high rises, expressways, familiar landmarks gone, more crowded, worse traffic, etc.  Of course this from my perspective since I remember what it used to be like but there is no doubt that it has grown at an exponential rate.  Anyone who has not been there in just a few years will be surprised.

Edited by miamijimf

31 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

The place is now the "Manhattan of the South," huge with more high rises, expressways, familiar landmarks gone, more crowded, worse traffic, etc.  Of course this from my perspective since I remember what it used to be like but there is no doubt that it has grown at an exponential rate.  Anyone who has not been there in just a few years will be surprised.

Yeah I've closely observed Miami since about 2012, and over the last 10 years there has definitely been another real estate boom, with many more high rises popping up especially in Brickell, Downtown, and Edgewater areas.

Not as sure about more expressways, though I track buildings more than I do roads, but there is a huge project underway for transforming the Dolphin expressway above Miami river into a double-decker and a monster of a beautification looking like a huge spider above I-395 near the bay (https://www.i395-miami.com/). I believe the budget and timeline recently increased... I am not too against this particular project because of the spider which will be a unique feature, I just hope the concrete job will be better than that pedestrian bridge at FIU collapsing in 2018. Overall though I am a 'new urbanist' (I think) and I was very frustrated at Miami Beach returning the second lane to Washington Ave instead of the bicycle lane, and I have mixed feelings about Ocean Drive opening up again for traffic, though from Miami Vice point of view, I guess we gotta have at least one lane there! :)

So to me personally, I don't mind all the new development as long as they don't raze historically/culturally important buildings/areas (and my definition of that is probably stricter than the city's) and build everything with pedestrians in mind instead of cars... Finally Flagler's redevelopment finished the first phase. Anyway, would be a great topic to discuss if we get to meet!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I´ll be in Miami Beach 7-22 August, staying in South Beach. Planned to meet local member @Paul Vereson site. Anyone else from the locals/near locals/vacationers to join? @Dadrian@miamijimf@TylerDurden389

We could do a day trip to some locations and/or hang out for some good Cuban food and drinks?

P.S. anyone knows what happened to @C Glide? He lives in Naples, but has not visited the forum since May 21, but is still active on Facebook?

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

@Tom this will be tough for me. We are moving into a new home the weekend before that. I will try to let you know either way. 

I'm confused by the dates "7-22 August", but I'm open for whenever. As for places to go, there's a place called "Miami's Vice" in the Lincoln Eatery. Can't think of a better place that isn't one of the shooting locations lol.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

@Tom this will be tough for me. We are moving into a new home the weekend before that. I will try to let you know either way. 

No hassle. Let´s see. Family and moving goes first. You´re not exaclty around the corner from Miami.....

• Like 1

vor 2 Minuten schrieb TylerDurden389:

I'm confused by the dates "7-22 August", but I'm open for whenever. As for places to go, there's a place called "Miami's Vice" in the Lincoln Eatery. Can't think of a better place that isn't one of the shooting locations lol.

Sorry, sloppy typing. 7th til 22th August. Great hint. I´ll be staying close to Lincoln Rd anyway (half a block off).

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

Sorry, sloppy typing. 7th til 22th August. Great hint. I´ll be staying close to Lincoln Rd anyway (half a block off).

Oh “till 22nd”. Hey I might can get in there somewhere! :dance2:

I would probably wear some 1980s Versace/Hugo Boss pieces, but no white/pastel blazers for me. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

I'm conflicted, particularly regarding weather, but I have some more casual Miami Vice-ish clothing that'll stand out for sure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
vor 6 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Awesome! Safe travels @Tom, and keep us posted!

Sure, thanks, I will. Flying in tomorrow late afternoon. Staying in South Beach until 22nd.

I am really looking forward to coming back to Miami, my old stomping grounds....

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

Sounds like a good group.

Don't get too rowdy with the Vice re-enactments ...  I've warned the residents of the 6600 SW 98th St to lock the doors if they see a van pull into their driveway at night!

:)

Edited by airtommy
  • Haha 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Sounds like a good group.

Don't get too rowdy with the Vice re-enactments ...  I've warned the residents of the 6600 SW 98th St to lock the doors if they see a van pull into their driveway at night!

:)

No worries, we won´t go there - after @Dadriancalled off the hookers when he bought the house the venue lost its party value :p

We´ll rather go for the video dating club at South Pointe Towers and afterwards if we are tired enough we´ll stop at Castillo´s on Poinciana for a grim stare  :)

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1