My Miami travel 2022

Tom

vor 46 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

I'm also impressed that you guys manage to stay dry.  Not me, I'm drenched in sweat 5 minutes after I walk out of the airport!

Who says we were dry? We had plenty of drinks that day before we dared sneaking onto that parking lot :)

all joking aside: it’s unusually dry in Miami currently, but lots of clouds kept sun away when we drove around. That helped.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:18 PM, Tom said:

On tour with @Paul Veres and @TylerDurden389today across Miami for some rare locations not being photographed so far. Was great fun to explore locations with two local buddies from our site.

short video:

Post of the year :fireworks:

• Thanks 1

I have extended my stay in Miami until next weekend. Another week in magic city, yeah! :dance2:

I plan to make more pictures for you guys and also visit some locations where we don´t have good on-site pics, like the Blue Dolphin Lounge in Heart of Darkness (in fact it is a Wells Fargo branch now) I found last year. 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

On 8/15/2022 at 8:07 PM, Dadrian said:

So nice to see you guys! This is me today wishing I was there:

2212B22F-98F4-4F91-8A0A-A4EE6124E4F4.jpeg

Dadrian, I just saw the United Refrigeration Inc. on your hat and shirt and think I have seen the UR logo.  Is there a branch in the LA area?

9 hours ago, pahonu said:

Dadrian, I just saw the United Refrigeration Inc. on your hat and shirt and think I have seen the UR logo.  Is there a branch in the LA area?

Yes. We have over 400 branches nationwide, and seven sister companies beyond the US—and not publicly-owned! It’s a great company, and I love my job. 

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Yes. We have over 400 branches nationwide, and seven sister companies beyond the US—and not publicly-owned! It’s a great company, and I love my job. 

Nice to hear!  I always tell my students if they can find a career they love that also pays the bills, they’re doing better than half of Americans.  That’s from an actual statistic about people’s responses to how happy they are at work and with their pay.  I feel fortunate to be in the same category as you even as the last two years have seen big changes in education.  I still love teaching high school students and I just started my 27th year this week!

I just did a quick search and UR has locations close to where I live and work, and coincidentally also where I grew up. :eek:  There are ten locations around the greater LA area.  I knew I had seen that logo! :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Last day with last scene. Today I‘ll head back for Europe. Was a great time in Miami, also spent with two pals from the site, I hope to be back soon. Hope that my onsite Pictures were helpful.

@Paul Veresvolunteered as local reporter if we find some of the remaining locations! 

8B339CFA-2D7F-4911-A058-8855E6F4199C.jpeg

• Like 5

Best food in town. Havanna 1957, 819 Lincoln Rd. Great home recipe for chicken, steak, shredded pork, Cuban bowls, all original with beans, bananas, white rice and big rum and mojito selection. I have Churrasco a la Cubana (special type of Angus skirt steak with onions and lemon sauce) and a Mangojito in this picture.

D6AE12B6-0447-4111-A014-F8CCFC80139D.jpeg

Edited by Tom
  • Like 5

I enjoyed the travel updates!  If you can believe it, I haven’t been to Miami since my first trip there (and the Keys) in the spring of 1991 in my second year of college and also after I recovered from my winter Achilles injury which would end my playing days.  I was only 20 at the time but somehow managed to drink at multiple bars, no ID requested!  Different times I suppose, but the legal age was already 21.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Which sport?

Basketball, I was a 4 at a listed 6-8, though a little less, and a playing weight of 240-245ish… until December of my second season and my injury.  After months of rehab, I enjoyed South Florida that Spring break.

• Like 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb pahonu:

I enjoyed the travel updates!  If you can believe it, I haven’t been to Miami since my first trip there (and the Keys) in the spring of 1991 in my second year of college and also after I recovered from my winter Achilles injury which would end my playing days.  I was only 20 at the time but somehow managed to drink at multiple bars, no ID requested!  Different times I suppose, but the legal age was already 21.  

I was living in the US in 1991 and was also 20 at the time and could NOT get any alcohol anywhere as being under 21. Not even a glass of wine to along with some fish in a restaurant. Maybe you were more convincing than me or simply looked older ? :p

vor 1 Minute schrieb Dadrian:

I think they were just scared to say no @Tom :) 

Yeah, I should have eaten more and gone to the gym before asking for booze :dance2:

P.S. but I could have easily bought a Mac10 back then instead. But wine is more dangerous...:birdie:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Yeah, I should have eaten more and gone to the gym before asking for booze :dance2:

P.S. but I could have easily bought a Mac10 back then instead. But wine is more dangerous...:birdie:

You two are hilarious!  I always did look older and probably still do… sadly!!!  I had to start shaving fairly regularly about halfway through high school, which I didn’t do, and as a senior was voted “least likely to shave” as a joke title. My beard is totally white now and my hair very gray at 51.

By contrast, my college roommate and I went on a trip to the Bay Area around 1994 and I’ve never forgotten  him pulling a razor out of his bag in his truck before going into a club and shaving the few hairs on his chin and lip in about 10 seconds!  He would get carded into his late 30’s. :eek:  He still looks 10-15 years younger than me.

Perhaps it was my size :D or a combination of the two.  When I first started dating my now wife, she was 20 and I was 23.  More than once we drank together at restaurants or in bars which she was let into with me.  I was also a pretty good talker in addition to being bigger than most bouncers! :D  I actually think there was just less strict enforcement then.    This was in SoCal not Miami, but I had no problems there either as I wrote.

I also remember my wife working next to a bar called the Mariposa and we would go shoot darts when she got off, and drink with the staff… while the place was still open, and long after it closed at 2:00 am. :eek:  It just seems like a different time regarding enforcing rules and laws.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey @pahonu! Your stories had me laughing out loud! It's amazing how memories from our travels can bring back so many funny moments. Your college roommate's shaving escapade in the Bay Area sounds like something straight out of a comedy movie!
Speaking of nostalgia, have you ever thought about reliving some of those carefree moments at fantasy parks? They're not just for kids—they're a great way for adults to let loose and embrace their inner child! If you're up for some thrilling adventures.
Who knows, you might find yourself reminiscing about your wild college days while riding roller coasters and exploring themed lands!

Edited by BroganGordon

1 hour ago, BroganGordon said:

Hey @pahonu! Your stories had me laughing out loud! It's amazing how memories from our travels can bring back so many funny moments. Your college roommate's shaving escapade in the Bay Area sounds like something straight out of a comedy movie!
Speaking of nostalgia, have you ever thought about reliving some of those carefree moments at fantasy parks? They're not just for kids—they're a great way for adults to let loose and embrace their inner child! If you're up for some thrilling adventures.
Who knows, you might find yourself reminiscing about your wild college days while riding roller coasters and exploring themed lands!

Thanks for the compliment.  I’ve been to several theme parks near me in the LA area many times over the years, including: Disneyland (the original), which my sister once worked at as an accountant and got me and friends into for free, Knott’s Berry Farm from the list you linked, and Six Flags Magic Mountain, which holds the record for most total number of rollercoasters at a theme park in the world at 20.  I also have been to Coney Island and Cedar Point from your list.  

In an unbelievable boondoggle, I went to Six Flags Magic Mountain for free with the senior students in the academy I teach at in my high school for over 15 years.  Not only was the entrance free, the bus took us so no driving, and I was getting paid for a day’s work!!!  My wife actually took a day off a few times to join me and a couple of times brought our kids when they were old enough.  I have to admit that after I had a pretty bad back injury about 7 years ago, I had to pass on the rollercoasters.  I will also admit that at my height, I didn’t fit on several rides, but who cares!  I was getting paid to go to an amusement park.  Is that wrong??? LOL!!!