Robert Hoelscher’s son selling off his father’s scripts and location notes!

Tom

image.png.d77360745a71b8bff96c8c25d8093c25.pngI wrote him already referred to our site and asked him for price and details.

let’s see!

would be cool especially as some of us are in Miami in August!

Edited by Tom
  • Like 6

• Tom changed the title to Robert Hoelscher’s son selling off his father’s scripts and location notes!
14 hours ago, Tom said:

I wrote him already referred to our site and asked him for price and details.

let’s see!

All scripts, wow!
Until now, only about 60 scripts are available via scriptcity and even those are partly not quite complete. There are definitely some episodes where I would be very interested in the script and where there was none so far! These scripts should definitely not get lost!

Edited by Glades
  • Like 2

He sold the scripts already to someone ;(

Hopefully at least a true fan who will share the interesting intel contained with others and not sit on it and put it in the basement only.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Tom said:

I know it would be a lot of work, but maybe he could make copies/scans of the scripts before giving them away? Then we wouldn't have the originals but we would have the info. One can dream...

• Like 3

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Glades:

I know it would be a lot of work, but maybe he could make copies/scans of the scripts before giving them away? Then we wouldn't have the originals but we would have the info. One can dream...

10 file cabinet boxes full of paper? Bit too much.

He said he sold it to member of the FB MV group. I hope it was Jeremy/CGlide :)

• Like 1

I would have rather seen it donated to a special collection (maybe the library at the University of Florida football gators or the University of Miami) where it would be available for research (and possibly digitized...that is the direction many of those libraries are going with resources now). Selling it to a collector just means it will likely disappear and possibly be sold off in bits and pieces over time.

• Like 4

vor 13 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Was this in a Facebook group?  I'm disappointed that he didn't come here.

Yes, in the FB group called MV OCB that Rick Bravo created. RB only lets people in with real FB names that he likes and only allows talking about first two seasons he was a part of. As many crew members are in this group and knew Bob Hoelscher, they were certainly in contact with Bob Hoelscher´s son and thus this group was his first address. He did not know our website, but visited it now and thanked me for the tribute for his father that we had here in April in another thread.

Anyway, Bob jr is as nice as a guy as his father was, but he did not know us in the first place.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Yes, in the FB group called MV OCB that Rick Bravo created. RB only lets people in with real FB names that he likes and only allows talking about first two seasons he was a part of. As many crew members are in this group and knew Bob Hoelscher, they were certainly in contact with Bob Hoelscher´s son and thus this group was his first address. He did not know our website, but visited it now and thanked me for the tribute for his father that we had here in April in another thread.

Anyway, Bob jr is as nice as a guy as his father was, but he did not know us in the first place.

In the next lifetime i want to come back as a psychiatrist...

These developments have given me an idea. We were surprised by the fact that Bob Hoelscher's son is selling these scripts and notations.

But perhaps there were other people at MV besides Hoelscher who have such material. Does anyone know any names? Maybe we could contact some of these people on our own. It doesn't have to be the whole show. One season would be already wonderful.

vor 14 Minuten schrieb Glades:

These developments have given me an idea. We were surprised by the fact that Bob Hoelscher's son is selling these scripts and notations.

But perhaps there were other people at MV besides Hoelscher who have such material. Does anyone know any names? Maybe we could contact some of these people on our own. It doesn't have to be the whole show. One season would be already wonderful.

You really think we haven’t thought about that earlier?

No one else was involved in all episodes and kept ALL documents from ALL episodes carefully 30+ years in file cabinet boxes. Hoelscher was a cop with acribic accuracy

all other crew members or actors only possessed single or few episodes and threw it away long time ago, like the production office when they shut down. Even in Universal Studios you cannot find that stuff anymore.

I stand by my contention a university library's special collections section would have been the best place for this material (even if it's not one in Florida or Miami). It would be preserved there, and also made accessible in some way to future researchers, students, and motivated fans. Private collections are black holes. Things go in, and may never come out. Or if they do, they're often scattered all over the universe. This was, in my view, a great loss in terms of television history. And make no mistake, it IS a loss no matter who bought it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom said:

You really think we haven’t thought about that earlier?

No one else was involved in all episodes and kept ALL documents from ALL episodes carefully 30+ years in file cabinet boxes. Hoelscher was a cop with acribic accuracy

all other crew members or actors only possessed single or few episodes and threw it away long time ago, like the production office when they shut down. Even in Universal Studios you cannot find that stuff anymore.

That’s pretty accurate.  I worked in production for about two years and didn’t keep anything.  It was just work back then and on to the next one.  I happened upon one call sheet several years ago that was in my wife’s sheet music of all places.  It wouldn’t hurt to try, I suppose, but we shouldn’t expect much.

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Robbie C.:

I stand by my contention a university library's special collections section would have been the best place for this material (even if it's not one in Florida or Miami). It would be preserved there, and also made accessible in some way to future researchers, students, and motivated fans. Private collections are black holes. Things go in, and may never come out. Or if they do, they're often scattered all over the universe. This was, in my view, a great loss in terms of television history. And make no mistake, it IS a loss no matter who bought it.

Yep but that chance is unfortunately gone and it will not come back. No one else has all episode documentation carefully stuffed in 10 boxes.

Let‘s move on. Dreaming or re-iterating of what would have been better will not help …;(

But it might cause someone who has a smaller collection to rethink their options. You'd be amazed at how many people aren't even aware special collections exist or that they accept those kind of donations. Even a smaller collection donated in such a way is better than no collection ever donated. You call it dreaming, I call it educating based on experience.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Robbie C.:

But it might cause someone who has a smaller collection to rethink their options. You'd be amazed at how many people aren't even aware special collections exist or that they accept those kind of donations. Even a smaller collection donated in such a way is better than no collection ever donated. You call it dreaming, I call it educating based on experience.

Believe me after 20 years of work on the topic for my book when I say there is no smaller collector left who could donate scripts/production notes. All crew members threw it away after each episode.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I literally only just came across this. Shame because I would have liked to have made a bid. As mentioned, let’s hope the person who made the sale, uploads or at least shares some interesting info they find from the scripts. 

The burning question I have is, did Bob own a copy of the script for the unproduced episode “The Edge”?

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Miami Beau:

The burning question I have is, did Bob own a copy of the script for the unproduced episode “The Edge”?

I doubt it as Bob only got scripts and dailies that went into production. 
I found the guy who was able to get a copy of this unproduced script and he was nice enough to give me some plot info and names of writers, planned locations and the like. I added all infos received in my episode guide book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tom said:

I doubt it as Bob only got scripts and dailies that went into production. 
I found the guy who was able to get a copy of this unproduced script and he was nice enough to give me some plot info and names of writers, planned locations and the like. I added all infos received in my episode guide book.

Thanks Tom. I really wish the production team had gotten around to filming this one. The plot sounds intriguing. 

• 10 months later...

Mann supposedly keeps an archive of every project he makes. One journalist saw his archival material on 'Thief' and was amazed by how meticulous it was (even transcripts of his meetings with actors about character development). I'd suppose his archives on Miami Vice must be extensive.

Let us hope that Holy Grail will see the light of day someday. Preferably on a University library, available for research.

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb johnnyfarragut:

Mann supposedly keeps an archive of every project he makes. One journalist saw his archival material on 'Thief' and was amazed by how meticulous it was (even transcripts of his meetings with actors about character development). I'd suppose his archives on Miami Vice must be extensive.

Let us hope that Holy Grail will see the light of day someday. Preferably on a University library, available for research.

Your word in God´s ear.... :)

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2022 at 4:03 PM, Tom said:

Hopefully at least a true fan who will share the interesting intel contained with others and not sit on it and put it in the basement only.

Would it be too much to ask Bob Hoelscher's son to whom he sold the scripts? Obviously he'd need to check with that person first for whether they'd want to be revealed, keeping it clear that would be not into public domain like this forum, but to just one committed researcher, e.g. Tom. Then Tom would reach out to that person and either suggest the library scenario (the person might like the idea of becoming a magnanimous benefactor to the society), or a scenario of buying digital copies from them. The viability of the latter scenario would depend on their original motive to buy - whether it is desire to own the physical memorabilia, or a bit more selfish desire to lock everybody else out of the knowledge. 

Edited by Paul Veres

8 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

I'd expect at some point (if it hasn't happened already) some university is going to start courting him for his papers. Happens all the time. Academia is actually quite sordid when it comes to this kind of thing. Having Mann's papers would be a great recruiting tool for some film school. And he could use it as a tax write-off.

• Like 1