GUEST STARS YOU WOULD 'VE LIKED TO SEE ON THE SHOW

johnnyfarragut

-STING: I read somewhere Don Johnson asked him to be on the show. Hell, this is a no-brainer to me: he was even more famous in 1986 than when he was fronting The Police a couple of years back. I think he did a pretty good job in Stormy Monday playing a shady nightclub owner.

-DAVID BOWIE

-OZZY OSBOURNE

-DAVID LEE ROTH

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, johnnyfarragut said:

-STING: I read somewhere Don Johnson asked him to be on the show. Hell, this is a no-brainer to me: he was even more famous in 1986 than when he was fronting The Police a couple of years back. I think he did a pretty good job in Stormy Monday playing a shady nightclub owner.

-DAVID BOWIE

-OZZY OSBOURNE

-DAVID LEE ROTH

Sting would have been GREAT as Glanz in “Death and the Lady”—heck he even kind of looks like the dude. :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Sting would have been GREAT as Glanz in “Death and the Lady”—heck he even kind of looks like the dude. :) 

Great idea!

I’m going to add that I think young Dadrian should have guest-starred in “Like a Hurricane” playing a Yamaha keytar with Jan Hammer at the wedding. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

True! And the part is the kind of devious s**t Sting just LOVED to sing about *

*for the uninitiated: ''Every Breath You Take" is not a love song. It's about a stalker! It's all double meanings with this guy.

Edited by johnnyfarragut

2 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

True! And the part is the kind of devious s**t Sting just LOVED to sing about *

*for the uninitiated: ''Every Breath You Take" is not a love song. It's about a stalker! It's all double meanings with this guy.

Sting is great at sinister roles, and would be very believable as a sadistic model-monger. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 9:06 PM, Dadrian said:

Sting is great at sinister roles, and would be very believable as a sadistic model-monger. 

A great choice —Sting would have worked well and Bowie. Perhaps they were both a little too big from 85-89 for tv? 

On 5/4/2023 at 2:58 PM, johnnyfarragut said:

-DAVID BOWIE

-OZZY OSBOURNE

-DAVID LEE ROTH

Great choices. Roth and Sting would have worked well. I read Bowie turned down the James Bond villain role in 1984-85.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Stuart Margolin who played Angel in "The Rockford Files" who like Izzy was a loveable grifter. 

Edited by RedDragon86

Am 4.5.2023 um 15:58 schrieb johnnyfarragut:

-DAVID BOWIE

-OZZY OSBOURNE

-DAVID LEE ROTH

Yes, Sting was asked and turned it down. DJ and the producers asked a lot of celebrities at that time. David Lee Roth was asked too and turned it down as well as he was supposed to play a dope dealer and he was afraid about his image. Bowie sent his girlfriend Iman to guest star two times and accompanied her. He is even on a set photo that we posted here in the BTS thread.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Yes, Sting was asked and turned it down. DJ and the producers asked a lot of celebrities at that time. David Lee Roth was asked too and turned it down as well as he was supposed to play a dope dealer and he was afraid about his image. Bowie sent his girlfriend Iman to guest star two times and accompanied her. He is even on a set photo that we posted here in the BTS thread.

Any idea what role/episode (if any) they had in mind for Sting?

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

No sorry. I appreciate you believe I know everything about the show, but I ain’t! :)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

No sorry. I appreciate you believe I know everything about the show, but I ain’t! :)

Someone once taught me “The Rule of ‘Ask’ ”, and it’s opened a lot of doors for me over the years. :)  

One time I asked Jan Hammer’s manager to to show him a birthday video I made for him. :p

I’m sure you’ll have many answers for future questions. :thumbsup:

Heck, you’ve answered A LOT that I didn’t even ask!! :) 

• Like 1

I'm speculating here, but Sting's refusal to be on 'Vice' may have been a management, rather than personal, decision.

Sting's manager Miles Copeland Jr. always wanted his client to focus on music, which is what he does best. This was a bone of contention in the last days of The Police (Sting was offered the bad guy role in James Bond's For Your Eyes Only, among other juicy parts. He couldn't accept because of touring commitments).

Sting's wife (actress Trudie Styler) thought Copeland had too much influence on Sting's decisions.

The story goes, back in the 90s she cut a deal with Creative Artists Agency superboss  Michael Ovitz: get rid of Copeland and she'll get to be a movie producer. Which is exactly what happened.

It didn't do any good to Sting's acting career, but it certainly damaged his musical career (classical music records?).

Sorry for the off-topic.

Edited by johnnyfarragut

22 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Maybe The Police were the first choice for Whatever Works instead of Power Station?

Edited by RedDragon86

27 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Maybe The Police were the first choice for Whatever Works instead of Power Station?

The Police were alrady disbanded by then. Besides, the fight would have started on the stage if they were there. :) 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

The Police were alrady disbanded by then. Besides, the fight would have started on the stage if they were there. :) 

Oh I thought they were still active in 1986 and the episode was in 1985.

Edited by RedDragon86

3 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Without googling, I think they broke up in 84, and only did a one or two things around 86. Then the reunion in the 2000s. 

8 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Without googling, I think they broke up in 84, and only did a one or two things around 86. Then the reunion in the 2000s. 

So it wouldn't be "Whatever Works" then :)

vor einer Stunde schrieb RedDragon86:

Last Police album before their split was Synchronity in 1983. The song in The Maze was from this album. 
Sting published his first solo album in 1985.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Last Police album before their split was Synchronity in 1983. The song in The Maze was from this album. 
Sting published his first solo album in 1985.

Yes, and the “Don’t Stand So Close to Me” rework was 1986. Not sure what that was all about, but I LOVE it!

And this is because miles is the drummer's brother. Well, in 2007, miles went nuts when they did the tour reunion but nobody put miles on it.

• 6 months later...
On 5/11/2023 at 8:30 AM, Tom said:

Didn't Iman start dating Bowie in 1990? 

• 1 month later...

Surprised they didn't cast Willem Dafoe from To Live and Die in LA, quite a few actors starred in the series from that film, Dean Stockwell, John Turturro, John Pankow, Debra Feuer, Gary Cole, 

I would have like to have seen actresses Sean Young and Daryl Hannah as well.