GUEST STARS YOU WOULD 'VE LIKED TO SEE ON THE SHOW

johnnyfarragut

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Kalci:

Mickey Rourke. Although I know he was too big at the time to star in it.

He was not too big. DJ asked him as they knew each other but Rourke declined.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

He was not too big. DJ asked him as they knew each other but Rourke declined.

He deemed himself too big after starring in 1985 9and 1/2 Weeks and Year of the Dragon. I have seen videos about it, that he refused to work under a million dollar in movies and had requested other priviledges. I guess MV production did not offer him that much money.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Kalci:

. I guess MV production did not offer him that much money.

All guest stars received 2500 USD plus expenses (flights/hotel) per episode. No exceptions. It was a major promotion chance to be in Vice, not about money. Some too big ego actors were not smart enough to understand it. Dennis Hopper declined as well as he wanted millions. Logically you can not pay that amount with an overall all-in episode budget of 1.5m USD. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tom said:

It was a major promotion chance to be in Vice, not about money.

Yeah it was a major promotion chance/jumping-board for those weren't established in Hollywood (upcoming actors) or those who might earlier fell off in Hollywood casting.

I would say 90% of the (later big screen) guest stars  were just starting off at Vice, they were at their career beginnings : Bruce Willis, Benico Del Toro, Steve Buscemi, Michael Madsen, Wesley Snipes, Bill Paxton, Kelly Lynch, Julia Roberts. For these actors, given their carreer beginnings I guess the money also came in handy even if it wasnt a duffle bag amount.

Melanie Griffith is a clear exemption here, she only took on the role because of DJ not because it was really able to boost his resume in Hollywood.

Burt Young and IanMcShane who come to my mind are also exemptions, but they werent established as lead big screen actors  in those times or never, rather supporting roles were thrown at them. So I see also why they took on those roles.

Musicians like Ted Nugent, Phil Collins were given the chance to try themselves out in acting and I agree for them it was probably a big boost oppurtunity, to showcase their versatile personality.

What I want to say with this that I totally understand that Hopper refused to do it, because even if he wasn't the best casted at that time in Hollywood and struggled with his career soon after Vice started found his way back to glory with David Lynch's Blue Velvet.

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2024 at 10:05 AM, Kalci said:

Mickey Rourke. Although I know he was too big at the time to star in it.

Great choice! "Rumble Fish" is my favorite film (and favorite book).

• Like 1

My choice is Michelle Pfeiffer.  After her fantastic performance in Scarface she would have been perfect in the Miami Vice world. 

• Like 1